Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is Your Favorite Bible Translation?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I'm a user of the 1611, and a facsimile which includes the Apocrypha, giving me 80 books vs 66

If you want to know more this is a great resource to start

But I warn, it gets much deeper
Thank you for the suggestion.

I highly recommend the ESV, especially an ESV Study Bible.

https://www.amazon.com/ESV-Study-Bible-Large-Print/dp/143354413X/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?crid=1X5SQMXRUZQ9Z&keywords=esv+study+bible&qid=1706930291&sprefix=esv+s,aps,150&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

Or, if you want digital, get eSword. It’s free and comes with the ESV, with apps for mobile devices and computers.
Thank you for the suggestion.

My favorite translation is the NKJV (New King James Version) but I prefer not to limit myself to just one translation. Others that I like are ESV (English Standard Version), NIV (New International Version), and KJV (King James Version).

One reason I like to use different translations is because when translating from one language to another, it really comes down to how the translators decide is the most accurate result. For example, if you give four people a phrase in English and ask them to translate the phrase into another language, you'll probably get four different results. This is because languages rarely translate word for word but instead it's a thought for thought translation and so there are many factors that come into play. Notice I said translators in plural. This is because none of the translations I mention were completed by any one single individual but all were completed using a team of Biblical scholars, theologians, and laypeople. I believe this is important for the sake of validity.

Another reason I like to use more than one translation is because over time there have been additional resources to work from. In fact, I do not believe there exists today an actual original transcript from the original authors of any of the Biblical text. What we do have are copies of those and over the years more have been discovered that can affect interpretation. The number of resources available when the KJV was translated were far less than what we have today so some of the newer translations provide additional information.

And another reason is readability. For example, while the KJV has a certain poetic charm, we no longer use Elizabethan English such as they did when the KJV was translated. Words have taken on different meanings over the centuries and newer translations can account for this.

Hope this helps.

I would recommend a parallel Bible .That is 2 translations in one binding :study . That way you can see the difference a translation can make .
I have a KJV / NIV parallel bible , here is a photo of what one looks like .

il_fullxfull.1894786708_gqjh.jpg

QuestionGuy, I've never seen what Hawkman shows above but it would be quite handy. My translations often have footnotes to identify how some manuscripts are different. Many people think there is some kind of conspiracy when things are different when the reality is that there are differences in the transcripts that have been found and the footnotes provide clarification.

Hi, folks! I forgot to ask. Is there a specific translation of the Bible that I should buy? Or does it not matter? Any and all suggestions are welcome!
Hello QuestionGuy, How are you? The Open Bible: King James Version ISBN # 9780718018115 Hardback

Love, Walter

Last edited:
My favorite translation is the NKJV (New King James Version) but I prefer not to limit myself to just one translation. Others that I like are ESV (English Standard Version), NIV (New International Version), and KJV (King James Version).

One reason I like to use different translations is because when translating from one language to another, it really comes down to how the translators decide is the most accurate result. For example, if you give four people a phrase in English and ask them to translate the phrase into another language, you'll probably get four different results. This is because languages rarely translate word for word but instead it's a thought for thought translation and so there are many factors that come into play. Notice I said translators in plural. This is because none of the translations I mention were completed by any one single individual but all were completed using a team of Biblical scholars, theologians, and laypeople. I believe this is important for the sake of validity.

Another reason I like to use more than one translation is because over time there have been additional resources to work from. In fact, I do not believe there exists today an actual original transcript from the original authors of any of the Biblical text. What we do have are copies of those and over the years more have been discovered that can affect interpretation. The number of resources available when the KJV was translated were far less than what we have today so some of the newer translations provide additional information.

And another reason is readability. For example, while the KJV has a certain poetic charm, we no longer use Elizabethan English such as they did when the KJV was translated. Words have taken on different meanings over the centuries and newer translations can account for this.

Hope this helps.
Thank you very much. That helped greatly.

I would recommend a parallel Bible .That is 2 translations in one binding :study . That way you can see the difference a translation can make .
I have a KJV / NIV parallel bible , here is a photo of what one looks like .

il_fullxfull.1894786708_gqjh.jpg
Very interesting. Thank you!

Hi QuestionGuy

I see you're 35. That's about the age I was when I came to know the Lord. Personally, I grew up to know God with the NIV, but it was the older 1984©. I'm not quite as fond of the newer 'gender neutral' editions. Lately I've become quite fond of the NKJV. But there are quite a few good translations available. I have a real monster of an NIV study bible. It must weigh 3 lbs.

But the best one for you is the one that will clearly explain God's will and desires for you.

God bless,
Ted

Hi, folks! I forgot to ask. Is there a specific translation of the Bible that I should buy? Or does it not matter? Any and all suggestions are welcome!
My favorite is the New American Standard 1995. It was a decent update from the 1972 version. I also like the Tree of Life Version, which is a Messianic edition and uses Hebrew names and phrases rather than Greek.

Example: Messiah instead of Christ, Yeshua instead of Jesus.

Both have very high marks as to how close they are (word for word) to the Nestle Aland Greek text.

It depends to a large degree on you and your style of English: try before you buy. There are many excellent English Bible versions out there, and some free Bible apps for travel & study: E-Sword is handy for a PC.

https://archive.org/details/the-words-gone-global-exploring-bible-versions-2017-231024/mode/2up is a free read which goes into some depth, not just into the blind guides of Gail Riplinger et al, but also into the misinformation promoting the ESV, and into the theory behind textual selection and translation. It compares over 30 English versions. Sadly there are Bible Wars. But that’s not new where favourite toes meet new feet: our toes and feet are very human.

Getting beyond that, it’s good to have a number of varying versions, especially to study, and each have strengths and weaknesses. If suggesting 10, I’d suggest the CEB/‌CEV/‌ERV/‌LEB/‌NABRE/‌NCV/‌NIV/‌NKJV/‌NLT/‌NRSV, but new ones keep cropping up. If narrowing down, the heavyweights of the NIV and NLT stand out, though both can flop at times (eg on marriage). At rare times the NKJV (though gender-dated), leads the pack. The CEV/ERV/NCV can excel, and are easy English to read, but can be rather loose. The NABRE (my copy anyway) can have appalling notes, both Sub-Catholic and sub-scholarly—'liberal' infestation—but the text is generally sound. The LEB is pretty good, and helpfully puts God's name as a name.

There is something about the repeatability of it's method that keeps me reading the KJV. And when I want another take, I am very often surprised at how revealing "The Message" bible can be.

biblegateway.com has a lot of different bible translations.
biblehub.com has some really helpful study tools

Also, I use e-Sword which is a free downloadable Bible study app and you can add many different translations to it for easy comparison. You can accomplish a lot more study in a lot less time with an app like this.

The correct bible is. King James companion bible. It has both Hebrew and Greek. Appendixes. Cross reference. The original king James bible of 1611. The new version is easier to read.

You should have strong concordance, to go back to the original Hebrew and Greek language.

Any teachers or students need to have the correct tools.

I like the AMP version ... it adds comments surrounded by [ ]s and ( )s to enhance understanding. Example:

24 Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their own hearts to [sexual] impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them [abandoning them to the degrading power of sin], 25 because [by choice] they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.
26 For this reason God gave them over to degrading and vile passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural [a function contrary to nature],

I believe weighing readability with accuracy my answer is the NIV. I look at more than one in a debate such as the NSRV and NET bible. When translating Koine Greek to modern english a word for word translation is not the same as a meaning to meaning translation. Example Hebrews 1:2 ...through whom He also made the ages vs through whom He also made the universe or worlds.
I don't like the KJV as it uses outdated terms.

Back