Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

When were the books of your Bible canonized?

When were the books of your Bible canonized?

• When the last book of the NT was written

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • During the Protestant Reformation in the 16th century

• A long process ending about the 17th/18th centuries

• Other

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
A

Adams son

When were the books in your Bible canonized?

This is a WHEN question not a HOW question or a WHY question.

i.e. When did Christians as a group finally accept a certain fixed set of books as inspired?

If you answered "Other" please explain.

Do you have any evidence for your belief on this issue or is your belief based on a notion that imagines what you would have done if you were God?

How did anyone, or could anyone, practice "Sola Scriptura" before this canonization occurred, that is, before Christians agreed on which books to use and which ones not to use?

Re: When were the books Bible canonized?

I choose the wonderful "other" option :-D

Have Christians as a group ever accepted a certain fixed set of books as inspired? The kingdom of Christianity is mighty impressive, existing even where those don't have "proper" theology. Lets be thankful of that too! As none of us likely have a complete understanding either, lets just pray that we have an "ever growing understanding" :)

Everyone has a notion that their is evidence for their beliefs, thats why we all have beliefs..... that we believe.

Even to this day there are many Christians without access to the Scriptures, that doesn't limit thier ability to be Christians. Well the scriptures are there to test, rebuke, etc. the doctrines and teachings we hear.... their's also the lil' voice of the Holy Spirit.

Its pretty amazing at times how people heard the Spirit, were called out, and have an amazing grasp of Christianity without having access to the Scriptures. Yet, they emrbace them so warm and teary eyed when given the opportunity. I think that gives something incredible to ponder about with regards to the Holy Spirit's ability as well as the scriptures.

I voted for the 4th century, but it was in the early fourth century where the canonization of scripture process began, with the synods Carthage, Hippo and Rome. What they determined was precisely what the Ecumenical Countil of Trent finally defined as the canon of scripture, which incouded, by the way, the famous deuterocanonicals (Apocypha to some) that were also included in the Greek Old Testament Septuagint which was favored by the early Christians, including the apostles. The canon of the New Testament was especially contested, since some local/regional churches wanted to include such books as the didache and the Gospel of Thomas whereas, others wanted to exclude such books as James, and the Book of Revelatons.

Oh, the audacity of a Church (which Church?) to usurp authority and do such a thing? Who gave them such power and authority to do this? And to this day, your bible (sans the deuterocanonicals in the Old Testament, which were thrown out by the "Johnny come latlies" of the Protestant Reformation) has bibles that are identical in content as those early actions by the Church............Church?.......again, which Church? :)

Something for all of you to think about... :)

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

Pillar and Foundation of Truth, the Church. (1 Tim 3:15)

Adams son said:
How did anyone, or could anyone, practice "Sola Scriptura" before this canonization occurred, that is, before Christians agreed on which books to use and which ones not to use?

I believe Jesus Christ practiced sola scriptura.

~serapha~

serapha said:
Adams son said:

~serapha~

So all of his teachings came right out of the Old Testament did it?

I wonder what this was all about:

"You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' BUT I say to you, Do not resist one who is evil. But if any one strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also,

Seems he was saying here that the rules in these Scriptures were no longer valid but he had some new ideas of his own.

I kinda think maybe Jesus was practicing Sola Jesus.

Adams son said:
serapha said:
[quote="Adams son":b4b64]

~serapha~

So all of his teachings came right out of the Old Testament did it?

I wonder what this was all about:

"You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' BUT I say to you, Do not resist one who is evil. But if any one strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also,

Seems he was saying here that the rules in these Scriptures were no longer valid but he had some new ideas of his own.

I kinda think maybe Jesus was practicing Sola Jesus.[/quote:b4b64]

http://community.gospelcom.net/Brix?pageID=1855

Some rabbis, who achieved special recognition and wisdom, taught their own interpretations and were able to support themselves entirely by teaching. These brilliant rabbis were recognized as having s'mikeh¾the authority to introduce new teachings. They had memorized the entire Old Testament, were exceptional teachers, and were trusted to provide new insights from God's Word.

And they didn't have to be married. I believe that the Living Word knew every dot and tittle of the "Scriptures".

so, which rules are lost along the wayside and who deterines?

~thanks~

William Putnam said:
I voted for the 4th century, but it was in the early fourth century where the canonization of scripture process began, with the synods Carthage, Hippo and Rome. What they determined was precisely what the Ecumenical Countil of Trent finally defined as the canon of scripture, which incouded, by the way, the famous deuterocanonicals (Apocypha to some) that were also included in the Greek Old Testament Septuagint which was favored by the early Christians, including the apostles.
Good Day, William

The idea that the Septuagint was used amoung early Christians has come in to question and is noted as such in Vatican documents.

""There are differences between the Jewish canon of Scripture30 “Lawâ€Â, Nebi'im, “Prophetsâ€Â, and Ketubim, other “Writingsâ€Â. The number 24 was often reduced to 22, the number of letters in the Hebrew alphabet. In the Christian canon, to these 2422 books correspond 39 books, called “protocanonicalâ€Â. The numerical difference is explained by the fact that the Jews regarded as one book several writings that are distinct in the Christian canon, the writings of the Twelve Prophets, for example.] and the Christian canon of the Old Testament.31 To explain these differences, it was generally thought that at the beginning of the Christian era, there existed two canons within Judaism: a Hebrew or Palestinian canon, and an extended Alexandrian canon in Greek  called the Septuagint  which was adopted by Christians.

Recent research and discoveries, however, have cast doubt on this opinion.
It now seems more probable that at the time of Christianity's birth, closed collections of the Law and the Prophets existed in a textual form substantially identical with the Old Testament. The collection of “Writingsâ€Â, on the other hand, was not as well defined either in Palestine or in the Jewish diaspora, with regard to the number of books and their textual form. Towards the end of the first century A.D., it seems that 2422 books were generally accepted by Jews as sacred,32 but it is only much later that the list became exclusive.33 When the limits of the Hebrew canon were fixed, the deuterocanonical books were not included.""

The canon of the New Testament was especially contested, since some local/regional churches wanted to include such books as the didache and the Gospel of Thomas whereas, others wanted to exclude such books as James, and the Book of Revelatons.

Oh, the audacity of a Church (which Church?) to usurp authority and do such a thing? Who gave them such power and authority to do this? And to this day, your bible (sans the deuterocanonicals in the Old Testament, which were thrown out by the "Johnny come latlies" of the Protestant Reformation) has bibles that are identical in content as those early actions by the Church............Church?.......again, which Church? :)

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

Johnny come latley , LOL

How do you view Jerome?

Our analysis has shown that the vast weight of historical evidence falls on the side of excluding the Apocrypha from the category of canonical Scripture. It is interesting to note that the only two Fathers of the early Church who are considered to be true biblical scholars, Jerome and Origen (and who both spent time in the area of Palestine and were therefore familiar with the Hebrew canon), rejected the Apocrypha. And the near unanimous opinion of the Church followed this view. And coupled with this historical evidence is the fact that these writings have serious internal difficulties in that they are characterized by heresies, inconsistencies and historical inaccuracies which invalidate their being given the status of Scripture. New Catholic Encyclopedia, vol. I (Washington D.C.: Catholic University, 1967), p. 390.

Peace to u,

Bill

bbas 64 said:
http://www.cin.org/users/james/files/deuteros.htm[/url]

[quote:18085]The canon of the New Testament was especially contested, since some local/regional churches wanted to include such books as the didache and the Gospel of Thomas whereas, others wanted to exclude such books as James, and the Book of Revelatons.

Johnny come latley , LOL

How do you view Jerome?[/quote:18085]

He was a "good guy" who obeyed the Church and translated the deuterocanonicals that were included into his Latin Vulgate even while he may have expressed some doubts as to their canonicity (which I am not so sure he really had such doubts.) But remember, Jerome was not "the church" you know… :)

Oh, and you might enjoy the following:

http://www.cin.org/mateo/m930608h.html

Our analysis has shown that the vast weight of historical evidence falls on the side of excluding the Apocrypha from the category of canonical Scripture. It is interesting to note that the only two Fathers of the early Church who are considered to be true biblical scholars, Jerome and Origen (and who both spent time in the area of Palestine and were therefore familiar with the Hebrew canon), rejected the Apocrypha. And the near unanimous opinion of the Church followed this view. And coupled with this historical evidence is the fact that these writings have serious internal difficulties in that they are characterized by heresies, inconsistencies and historical inaccuracies which invalidate their being given the status of Scripture. New Catholic Encyclopedia, vol. I (Washington D.C.: Catholic University, 1967), p. 390.

You got that from that Encyclopedia?

Here is what the old 1913 Catholic Encyclopedia has to say about it:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03267a.htm

Finally, another good link for you to read:

http://matt1618.freeyellow.com/cloud.html

For the first 1500 years, it seems, there was never any doubt as to the inclusion of the deuterocanonicals as seen in the Septuagint Old Testament used by the early Christians. Then in the 16th century, the "Johnny come lately’s" saw fit to exclude them…

Pardon me if I will rely on the ancient old Church that has come down to us from the times of Christ, the oldest church, and the only church given the power to "bind and loose" per Matthew 16:19.

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

William Putnam said:
http://www.cin.org/users/james/files/deuteros.htm[/url][/quote:biggrinab70]

Good Day, William

The dout was not mine but rather a doubt of the stance once held by Rome.

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congr ... co_en.html

I do not denty the existance of the Greek OT, at the time of the apostles, nor is there any reason to believe that the Apocropha was held in the same reguard as the "Cannon of the Jews".

[quote:biggrinab70]The canon of the New Testament was especially contested, since some local/regional churches wanted to include such books as the didache and the Gospel of Thomas whereas, others wanted to exclude such books as James, and the Book of Revelatons.

Johnny come latley , LOL

How do you view Jerome?[/quote:biggrinab70]

He was a "good guy" who obeyed the Church and translated the deuterocanonicals that were included into his Latin Vulgate even while he may have expressed some doubts as to their canonicity (which I am not so sure he really had such doubts.) But remember, Jerome was not "the church" you know… :)

Oh, and you might enjoy the following:

http://www.cin.org/mateo/m930608h.html

Jerome was not the 'church... not sure what to make of that. Lets look at Jeromes doubts, it is true that they were included in the Vulgate whith a major distiction.

As the Church reads the books of Judith and Tobit and Maccabees but does not receive them among the canonical Scriptures, so also it reads Wisdom and Ecclesiasticus for the edification of the people, not for the authoritative confirmation of doctrine."
Jerome
Jerome's preface to the books of Solomon

There is no question that Jerome's view carried the weight of historical presidance thought out time .. that is up to Trent.

Cardinal Cajetan, the cardinal who opposed Martin Luther at the Diet of Worms and who was one of the most ardent supporters of the absolutist form of papal authority that had developed by the 16th century and that is still argued for today by Roman Catholics. (In other words, no Protestant sympathizer, he.)

Here we close our commentaries on the historical books of the Old Testament. For the rest (that is, Judith, Tobit, and the books of Maccabees) are counted by St Jerome out of the canonical books, and are placed amongst the Apocrypha, along with Wisdom and Ecclesiasticus, as is plain from the Prologus Galeatus. Nor be thou disturbed, like a raw scholar, if thou shouldest find anywhere, either in the sacred councils or the sacred doctors, these books reckoned as canonical. For the words as well of councils as of doctors are to be reduced to the correction of Jerome. Now, according to his judgment, in the epistle to the bishops Chromatius and Heliodorus, these books (and any other like books in the canon of the bible) are not canonical, that is, not in the nature of a rule for confirming matters of faith. Yet, they may be called canonical, that is, in the nature of a rule for the edification of the faithful, as being received and authorised in the canon of the bible for that purpose. By the help of this distinction thou mayest see thy way clearly through that which Augustine says, and what is written in the provincial council of Carthage.

In the view of this Cardinal, the councils were to be corrected by Jerome.

For the first 1500 years, it seems, there was never any doubt as to the inclusion of the deuterocanonicals as seen in the Septuagint Old Testament used by the early Christians. Then in the 16th century, the "Johnny come lately’s" saw fit to exclude them…

Pardon me if I will rely on the ancient old Church that has come down to us from the times of Christ, the oldest church, and the only church given the power to "bind and loose" per Matthew 16:19.

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

From the same work of the Vatican.

Based on a time-honoured tradition, the Councils of Florence in 1442 and Trent in 1564 resolved for Catholics any doubts and uncertainties. Their list comprises 73 books, which were accepted as sacred and canonical because they were inspired by the Holy Spirit, 46 for the Old Testament, 27 for the New.36 In this way the Catholic Church received its definitive canon. To determine this canon, it based itself on the Church's constant usage. In adopting this canon, which is larger than the Hebrew, it has preserved an authentic memory of Christian origins, since, as we have seen, the more restricted Hebrew canon is later than the formation of the New Testament.

So, if there was not doubt and uncertainties what did Trent and Florence resolve? Why did the Church adopt a larger cannon then that of the Jews? Not that I beleive they do not have that right to do so, but error in so doing IMO.

The cannon of inspired writtings should be contained the the Hebrew cannon, That is not to say the other writtings have no vaule for they do in that they serve as historical writtings of the Jews and help us to understand thier history.

I also write, by way of remembrance, of matters with which you are acquainted, influenced by the need and advantage of the Church. In proceeding to make mention of these things, I shall adopt, to commend my undertaking, the pattern of Luke the Evangelist, saying on my own account: 'Forasmuch as some have taken in hand,' to reduce into order for themselves the books termed apocryphal, and to mix them up with the divinely inspired Scripture, concerning which we have been fully persuaded, as they who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the Word, delivered to the fathers; it seemed good to me also, having been urged thereto by true brethren, and having learned from the beginning, to set before you the books included in the Canon, and handed down, and accredited as Divine...There are, then, of the Old Testament, twenty-two books in number; for, as I have heard, it is handed down that this is the number of the letters among the Hebrews...there are other books besides these not indeed included in the Canon, but appointed by the Fathers to be read by those who newly join us, and who wish for instruction in the word of godliness. The Wisdom of Solomon, and the Wisdom of Sirach, and Esther, and Judith, and Tobit" (Athanasius, Festal Letter 39:2-4, 39:7)

Peace to u,

Bill

bbas 64 said:
Good Day, William

The dout was not mine but rather a doubt of the stance once held by Rome.

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congr ... co_en.html

Did you read that document closely, sir?

Let me quote fragments from it for discussion:

(I. The Sacred Scriptures of the Jewish People are a Fundamental Part of the Christian Bible, paragraph 2.)

A perennial manifestation of this link to their beginnings is the acceptance by Christians of the Sacred Scriptures of the Jewish people as the Word of God addressed to themselves as well. Indeed, the Church has accepted as inspired by God all the writings contained in the Hebrew Bible as well as those in the Greek Bible. The title "Old Testament" given to this collection of writings is an expression coined by the apostle Paul to designate the writings attributed to Moses (cf. 2 Co 3:14-15). Its scope has been extended, since the end of the second century, to include other Jewish writings in Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. The title "New Testament" takes its origin from a message in the Book of Jeremiah which announced a "new covenant" (Jr 31:31), the expression is translated in the Greek of the Septuagint as "new dispensation", "new testament" (kain diathk). The message announced that God intended to establish a new covenant. The Christian faith sees this promise fulfilled in the mystery of Christ Jesus with the institution of the Eucharist (cf. 1 Co 11:25; Heb 9:15). Consequently, that collection of writings which expresses the Church's faith in all its novelty is called the "New Testament". The title itself points towards a relationship with the "Old Testament". (Underlining emphasis mine.)

So for, I see no "doubt" in the original "stance once held by Rome," a "stance" I will be most interested to see and ponder. We move on:

(I. The Sacred Scriptures of the Jewish People are a Fundamental Part of the Christian Bible, paragraph 4.)

1. Implicit recognition of authority

Beginning from the less explicit, which nevertheless is revealing, we notice that the same language is used. The Greek of the New Testament is closely dependent on the Greek of the Septuagint, in grammatical turns of phrase which were influenced by the Hebrew, or in the vocabulary, of a religious nature in particular. Without a knowledge of Septuagint Greek, it is impossible to ascertain the exact meaning of many important New Testament terms.5
(Underlining emphasis mine.)

Again, I see no refutation that the Septuagint was the accepted Old Testament "Canon" as recognized by the early Christians. We continue:

(E. The Extension of the Canon of Scripture.)

1. In Judaism
There are differences between the Jewish canon of Scripture30 "Law", Nebi'im, "Prophets", and Ketubim, other "Writings". The number 24 was often reduced to 22, the number of letters in the Hebrew alphabet. In the Christian canon, to these 2422 books correspond 39 books, called "protocanonical". The numerical difference is explained by the fact that the Jews regarded as one book several writings that are distinct in the Christian canon, the writings of the Twelve Prophets, for example.] and the Christian canon of the Old Testament.31 To explain these differences, it was generally thought that at the beginning of the Christian era, there existed two canons within Judaism: a Hebrew or Palestinian canon, and an extended Alexandrian canon in Greek - called the Septuagint - which was adopted by Christians.
(Again, underlining my emphasis.)

Again, I see no so called "doubt" being expressed as to the stance of the church from those early times, but indeed, a reaffermation of that the Church has declared all along!

Now, we get to where I think you misunderstood the document:

Recent research and discoveries, however, have cast doubt on this opinion. It now seems more probable that at the time of Christianity's birth, closed collections of the Law and the Prophets existed in a textual form substantially identical with the Old Testament. The collection of "Writings", on the other hand, was not as well defined either in Palestine or in the Jewish diaspora, with regard to the number of books and their textual form. Towards the end of the first century A.D., it seems that 2422 books were generally accepted by Jews as sacred,32 but it is only much later that the list became exclusive.33 When the limits of the Hebrew canon were fixed, the deuterocanonical books were not included.

What "opinion"? The only thing that I see as a doubt here is the original assumption that there were "two (distinct) canons within Judaism: a Hebrew or Palestinan Canon, and an extended Alexandrian canon" (the Septuagint.) In other words, the "The collection of writings" were not "well defined in Palestine" or as the document continues, neither was it so defined in the diaspora of the Jews.

This does not at all speak to or otherwise effected the decision of early Christians to favor the Septuagint! It changes nothing about what the Church taught and decreed about the Christian canon at all! Note that the document alludes to the time when the Jews did indeed, have the "list become exclusive," the so called "Council of Jamnia," shortly after the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem after about A.D. 70. By that time, why would the Christian Church now accede to a Jewish rabbi get-together that now excludes all books that were not originally written in Hebrew! :)

But I’m not finished:

2. In the Early Church
17. Since the first Christians were for the most part Palestinian Jews, either "Hebrew" or "Hellenistic" (cf. Ac 6:1), their views on Scripture would have reflected those of their environment, but we are poorly informed on the subject. Nevertheless, the writings of the New Testament suggest that a sacred literature wider than the Hebrew canon circulated in Christian communities. Generally, the authors of the New Testament manifest a knowledge of the deuterocanonical books and other non-canonical ones since the number of books cited in the New Testament exceeds not only the Hebrew canon, but also the so-called Alexandrian canon.34 When Christianity spread into the Greek world, it continued to use sacred books received from Hellenistic Judaism.35 Although Hellenistic Christians received their Scriptures from the Jews in the form of the Septuagint, we do not know the precise form, because the Septuagint has come down to us only in Christian writings. What the Church seems to have received was a body of Sacred Scripture which, within Judaism, was in the process of becoming canonical. When Judaism came to close its own canon, the Christian Church was sufficiently independent from Judaism not to be immediately affected. It was only at a later period that a closed Hebrew canon began to exert influence on how Christians viewed it.

I think this speaks for itself. It is a good history of exactly what the early Christians did, and it appears that the Septuagint was the "Old Testament of choice," (for those who could read, and coincidentally, they could also read in Greek) that the Septuagint was favored. Note how the document alludes to the "influence" that was brought forth in later times, the "Johnny-come_ Lately’s" I have been talking about all this time! :)

There is more in that document I could quote, but when you read down to what I have given already, and then continue down in that same chapter (Chapter I), there are other statements that simply affirms the decisions the early Church and the early Christians made concerning what was to eventually become the Christian Old Testament, including the deuterocanonicals for the first 1500 years of Church history, to be challenged by…by…(you know who.) :)

I do not denty the existance of the Greek OT, at the time of the apostles, nor is there any reason to believe that the Apocropha was held in the same reguard as the "Cannon of the Jews".

I think the very document you gave to me in a link disproves that assertion, since the Septuagint was favored by the early Christians, which included the deuterocanonicals, and thus the "regard" for them seems to be exactly as we consider them now - Divinely inspired "God breathed" scriptures.

…<snip>…

Jerome was not the 'church... not sure what to make of that. Lets look at Jeromes doubts, it is true that they were included in the Vulgate whith a major distiction.

What I mean is, as all good priests and bishops, their opinions are only that - opinions - when the Church decides on issues, and that includes all of the Church fathers and even popes (speaking privately and as a personal opinion, not officially in "ex cathedra" decrees and dogmatic promulgations.) Again, please note that Jerome’s Vulgate included the deuterocanonicals.

As the Church reads the books of Judith and Tobit and Maccabees but does not receive them among the canonical Scriptures, so also it reads Wisdom and Ecclesiasticus for the edification of the people, not for the authoritative confirmation of doctrine."
Jerome
Jerome's preface to the books of Solomon

Again, the Church wanted otherwise, and in obedience, Jerome included those works, which the Church, in several synods in the early 4th century (Carthage, Hippo and Rome) that began the determination of the canon of the Bible, including the Old Testament which included the deuterocanonicals.

There is no question that Jerome's view carried the weight of historical presidance thought out time .. that is up to Trent.

There is no doubt that St. Jerome was quite influencial within the Church, as was St. Augustine and others, but again, individually, it is the Church who decides doctrine, not these individual post-apostolic early church fathers whose writings are not considered as divinely inspired.

Cardinal Cajetan, the cardinal who opposed Martin Luther at the Diet of Worms and who was one of the most ardent supporters of the absolutist form of papal authority that had developed by the 16th century and that is still argued for today by Roman Catholics. (In other words, no Protestant sympathizer, he.)

Here we close our commentaries on the historical books of the Old Testament. For the rest (that is, Judith, Tobit, and the books of Maccabees) are counted by St Jerome out of the canonical books, and are placed amongst the Apocrypha, along with Wisdom and Ecclesiasticus, as is plain from the Prologus Galeatus. Nor be thou disturbed, like a raw scholar, if thou shouldest find anywhere, either in the sacred councils or the sacred doctors, these books reckoned as canonical. For the words as well of councils as of doctors are to be reduced to the correction of Jerome. Now, according to his judgment, in the epistle to the bishops Chromatius and Heliodorus, these books (and any other like books in the canon of the bible) are not canonical, that is, not in the nature of a rule for confirming matters of faith. Yet, they may be called canonical, that is, in the nature of a rule for the edification of the faithful, as being received and authorised in the canon of the bible for that purpose. By the help of this distinction thou mayest see thy way clearly through that which Augustine says, and what is written in the provincial council of Carthage.

In the view of this Cardinal, the councils were to be corrected by Jerome.

But who prevailed in the end? Apparently the council of Carthage did, (A synod really, whose finding were approved by the Holy See.) When you read this to the end, it is apparent that St. Jerome did not have his way, did he?

[quote:0de0f][quote:0de0f]Our analysis has shown that the vast weight of historical evidence falls on the side of excluding the Apocrypha from the category of canonical Scripture. It is interesting to note that the only two Fathers of the early Church who are considered to be true biblical scholars, Jerome and Origen (and who both spent time in the area of Palestine and were therefore familiar with the Hebrew canon), rejected the Apocrypha. And the near unanimous opinion of the Church followed this view. And coupled with this historical evidence is the fact that these writings have serious internal difficulties in that they are characterized by heresies, inconsistencies and historical inaccuracies which invalidate their being given the status of Scripture. New Catholic Encyclopedia, vol. I (Washington D.C.: Catholic University, 1967), p. 390.

For the first 1500 years, it seems, there was never any doubt as to the inclusion of the deuterocanonicals as seen in the Septuagint Old Testament used by the early Christians. Then in the 16th century, the "Johnny come lately's" saw fit to exclude them...

Pardon me if I will rely on the ancient old Church that has come down to us from the times of Christ, the oldest church, and the only church given the power to "bind and loose" per Matthew 16:19.[/quote:0de0f]

From the same work of the Vatican.

Based on a time-honoured tradition, the Councils of Florence in 1442 and Trent in 1564 resolved for Catholics any doubts and uncertainties. Their list comprises 73 books, which were accepted as sacred and canonical because they were inspired by the Holy Spirit, 46 for the Old Testament, 27 for the New.36 In this way the Catholic Church received its definitive canon. To determine this canon, it based itself on the Church's constant usage. In adopting this canon, which is larger than the Hebrew, it has preserved an authentic memory of Christian origins, since, as we have seen, the more restricted Hebrew canon is later than the formation of the New Testament.[/quote:0de0f]

Yes, I recognize that from the same document we have been discussing…it was one I considered quoting! :)

So, if there was not doubt and uncertainties what did Trent and Florence resolve? Why did the Church adopt a larger cannon then that of the Jews? Not that I beleive they do not have that right to do so, but error in so doing IMO.

Simple answer: Because the deuterocanonicals were included in the Septuagint which was favored by the early Christians!

The cannon of inspired writtings should be contained the the Hebrew cannon, That is not to say the other writtings have no vaule for they do in that they serve as historical writtings of the Jews and help us to understand thier history.

Well, the "inspired writings" are indeed, contained in the Hebrew canon! But that is not to say that they are not also contained in the greater scope by 7 books, the "inspired writings in the Greek Septuagint! And I believe this because the Church says so! Notice that the document we have been discussing does not discount the canonicity of the Hebrew canon, but rather sees it as a sub-set of the whole, as expressed in the Septuagint.

I also write, by way of remembrance, of matters with which you are acquainted, influenced by the need and advantage of the Church. In proceeding to make mention of these things, I shall adopt, to commend my undertaking, the pattern of Luke the Evangelist, saying on my own account: 'Forasmuch as some have taken in hand,' to reduce into order for themselves the books termed apocryphal, and to mix them up with the divinely inspired Scripture, concerning which we have been fully persuaded, as they who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the Word, delivered to the fathers; it seemed good to me also, having been urged thereto by true brethren, and having learned from the beginning, to set before you the books included in the Canon, and handed down, and accredited as Divine...There are, then, of the Old Testament, twenty-two books in number; for, as I have heard, it is handed down that this is the number of the letters among the Hebrews...there are other books besides these not indeed included in the Canon, but appointed by the Fathers to be read by those who newly join us, and who wish for instruction in the word of godliness. The Wisdom of Solomon, and the Wisdom of Sirach, and Esther, and Judith, and Tobit" (Athanasius, Festal Letter 39:2-4, 39:7)

St. Athanasius lived in the times when the canon of scripture was certainly in flux, and where there was diverse opinions, including those who would have the New Testament quite a bit larger then it is (or smaller by the exclusion of others.) Like St. Jerone, St, Athanasius, a great saint and defender of Holy Church, are not in and of themselves, "The Church."

Finally, did you read any of the links I gave? Please be advised that I took the time to print out and read that Vatican document you seemed to think makes your case, which it certainly does not. In fact, it is a wonderful read I recommend all to print-out and read, and see how the early church came to canonize the scriptures the way they did.

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

Christ has no body now but yours;
No hands, no feet on earth but yours,
Yours are the eyes with which he looks
Compassion on this world.
Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good.
Yours are the hands with which
he blesses all the world.
Christ has no body now on earth but yours.

- St. Therese of Avila -

Good day, William

Seems this thread has gone "crazy" I can not read the whole of your post
Because the screen is so wide. I also think people should read the whole document as well as it will help to clearify some of the issues around this subject, how the RCC created it's cannon.

The document provides some good insight as to how the Hebrew cannon was added to by the RCC. To include other writings that where held by Jews to be of a differnt type / kind. As I said in my last post they have the right to do so, but they are in error IMO.

You see that as authoritative, I do not. I will stick to the Cannon of the Jews.. for it was to them that were given the oracles of God.

Peace to u,

Bill

bbas 64 said:
Good day, William

Seems this thread has gone "crazy" I can not read the whole of your post
Because the screen is so wide. I also think people should read the whole document as well as it will help to clearify some of the issues around this subject, how the RCC created it's cannon.

Hummm, I see it just fine. I have no idea why you cannot read it all. Browser settings perhaps?

The document provides some good insight as to how the Hebrew cannon was added to by the RCC. To include other writings that where held by Jews to be of a differnt type / kind. As I said in my last post they have the right to do so, but they are in error IMO.

I think it is quite natural and scholarly for the Church to investigate all of the early manuscripts where they exist and fragments of same, and that certainly includes the Hebrew canon. There is the opinion of some that the Septuagint was translated into Greek from the Hebrew canon that contained the deuterocanonicals (remembering that not all "copies" of the Hebrew Canon contained them) which is mere speculation, since there in not a Hebrew canon example extant that shows this.

And of course, I completely disagree with you whether the Church was "in error" to include the deuterocanonicals simply because the favored canon of the OT by the early Christians was the Septuagint and thus it was quite natural for the Church to include what the Septuagint contained :)

You see that as authoritative, I do not. I will stick to the Cannon of the Jews.. for it was to them that were given the oracles of God.

What, the "authority" of the Church or the document we have been discussing? If that document was promulgated with the infallible signature of the Church, then it certainly is, in my eyes. After all, Christ did promise that "...the gates of hell shall not pravail against it" per Matthew 16:18. :)

Good day to you, sir. It was an interesting exchange...

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

Give me that REAL old time religion!
The CATHOLIC CHURCH, 2,000 years of history!

William Putnam said:
And all this time I thought you were part of that upstart Roman element that separated from the True Church back around 1017 A.D.
:wink:

xsearnold said:
William Putnam said:
And all this time I thought you were part of that upstart Roman element that separated from the True Church back around 1017 A.D.
:wink:

Gee, was it Clement, the 3rd in succession to Peter as Bishop of Rome who started all this?

Interestingly, it seems that the Eastern Bishops were most appreciative of his "intercession" in a serious matter with the Corinthian Church, an Eastern Church, certainly under the local jurisdiction of those same Eastern Bishops, that Rome was apparently petitioned to resolve such matter, re his Letter to the Corinthians. :wink:

I love my Orthodox brethren. I have two icons given to me by a Russion Orthodox priest, who was a Navy Chaplain back about 1957 (The only Orthodox chaplain in the Navy then, I understand) that I venerate in a prayer for a reunion of our two great churches. :)

Come Holy Spirit...

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

Rome has spoken, case is closed.

Derived from Augustine's famous Sermon.

It is always interesting to observe Protestant history books explaining how the New Testament was canonized in the fourth century church councils and we can rest assured that God was guiding the men who made the final decision regarding which NT books should be in and which should be out. It is also interesting to note how any discussion on the OT books is intentionally "overlooked" in these historical accounts of canonization.

The misleading trick here is to lead the reader to presume that "the Old Testament" was a canonized book at the time of Jesus and so these men only needed to canonize the New Testament books. But that is not the truth of the matter. The Jews themselves were still debating the matter long after Jesus died on the cross.

And then when it is pointed out, to Protestants who forgot about the Old Testament canonization process, that these very same men, at the very same time, and very same place, who canonized the New Testament also canonized 46 Old Testament books (give or take one or two), and not 39 books, then Protestants decide for themselves that just maybe canonization never had anything to do with these councils.

Or somehow we are to believe that these men were inspired by God to pick the right books for the New Testament but made a huge blunder when they picked the Old Testament books at the very same time and place. It seems to me that someone who would believe this will believe just about anything that suits their fancy, and whether it is actually true or not, is quite irrelevant to them.

And then when it realized that the problem is even worse and that there was no such thing as a 66 book canon before the 16th century, all kinds of historical revisions take place on the part of Protestants.

I do not understand why Protestants are so dishonest with themselves about the facts here (no I am not a Catholic or Orthdox either). Why do people so often run from the truth like this and pretend other realities are true as if an imagined up history can be made into the truth?

But then again, for some people, Christianity started in 1517 at Wittenberg, Germany.

And so for Protestants the true question is, "Who shall I myself validate as the true and correct canonizer of the Bible? Yes, it shall be who I decide. It shall be Luther and I shall validate him with Jerome who I also validate myself. Who cares what the church at large believed for it is my validation which counts. I shall not validate the church but validate Jerome and Luther. It is not their opinion that matters but the opinion of the men that I myself validate. Therefore, I validate Luther's canon and so shall it said and so shall it be done. Yes, I, even I, decide the true canon. And yes I, even I, agree that Luther too decided right, even as I."

Adams son said:
It is always interesting to observe Protestant history books explaining how the New Testament was canonized in the fourth century church councils and we can rest assured that God was guiding the men who made the final decision regarding which NT books should be in and which should be out. It is also interesting to note how any discussion on the OT books is intentionally "overlooked" in these historical accounts of canonization.

The misleading trick here is to lead the reader to presume that "the Old Testament" was a canonized book at the time of Jesus and so these men only needed to canonize the New Testament books. But that is not the truth of the matter. The Jews themselves were still debating the matter long after Jesus died on the cross.

And then when it is pointed out, to Protestants who forgot about the Old Testament canonization process, that these very same men, at the very same time, and very same place, who canonized the New Testament also canonized 46 Old Testament books (give or take one or two), and not 39 books, then Protestants decide for themselves that just maybe canonization never had anything to do with these councils.

Or somehow we are to believe that these men were inspired by God to pick the right books for the New Testament but made a huge blunder when they picked the Old Testament books at the very same time and place. It seems to me that someone who would believe this will believe just about anything that suits their fancy, and whether it is actually true or not, is quite irrelevant to them.

And then when it realized that the problem is even worse and that there was no such thing as a 66 book canon before the 16th century, all kinds of historical revisions take place on the part of Protestants.

I do not understand why Protestants are so dishonest with themselves about the facts here (no I am not a Catholic or Orthdox either). Why do people so often run from the truth like this and pretend other realities are true as if an imagined up history can be made into the truth?

But then again, for some people, Christianity started in 1517 at Wittenberg, Germany.

And so for Protestants the true question is, "Who shall I myself validate as the true and correct canonizer of the Bible? Yes, it shall be who I decide. It shall be Luther and I shall validate him with Jerome who I also validate myself. Who cares what the church at large believed for it is my validation which counts. I shall not validate the church but validate Jerome and Luther. It is not their opinion that matters but the opinion of the men that I myself validate. Therefore, I validate Luther's canon and so shall it said and so shall it be done. Yes, I, even I, decide the true canon. And yes I, even I, agree that Luther too decided right, even as I."

Some very interesting comments from you, Adam's Son!

I was beginning to think I am the "lone voice" in this conference! :)

Thank God that I am not...

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

Christus Vincit! Christus Regnat! Christus Imperat!

Jason the Puritan said:
The Holy Spirit revealed the canon to the early Church.

How do you know that, Jason? Who told you?

Actually, I happen to believe it as well, noting that indeed, the holy Spirit will and did protect the early church...

Which Church, jason? The only one I see was the one Christ founded per Matthew 16:18-19, which was the same church at Pentecost, 10 years later, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 years later, and in AD 100, St. Ignatius of Aantioch was one of the first to coin the name for her, "catholic" (which means "universal"). :biggrin

And by golly,l that same church exists today, the only one who can trace her history back that far...

THE ONE HOLY CATHOLIC AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH

Founder: Jesus Christ circa AD 33

Present earthly caretaker: John Paul II

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

"Gloria in excelsis Deo"

(Intoned by the celebrant of the Mass.)

(The choir response.)

Et in terra pax homininus
bone voluntatis
Laudamus te
Benedicimus te
Adoramus te
Glorificamus te,
Gratias agimus tibi propter
magnum gloriam tuum.
Domine Deus, Rex Coelestis,
Deus Pater omnipotens
Domine Fili unigenite
Jesu Christe Domine Deus
Agnus Dei Filius Patris
Qui tollis peccata mundi
miserere nobis.
Qui tollis peccata mundi,
suscipe deprecationem nostram.
Qui sedes ad dexteramPatris,
miserere nobis.
Quoniam tu solus Sanctus,
Tu solus Dominus
Tu solus Altissimus
Jesu Christe.
Cum Sancto Spiritu
in gloria Dei Patris
Amen.

- The Ambrosian Gloria -

http://www.solesmes.com/sons/gloria.ram

(Real monks chanting....)

Gregorian Chant - God's music! :)

Who told me?

The leading of the Holy Spirit AND members of the universal Church.

Next you'll ask, who is the Church?

The catholic or universal church, which (with respect to the internal work of the Spirit and truth of grace) may be called invisible, consists of the whole number of the elect, that have been, are, or shall be gathered into one, under Christ, the head thereof; and is the spouse, the body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.
( Hebrews 12:23; Colossians 1:18; Ephesians 1:10, 22, 23; Ephesians 5:23, 27, 32 )

Who belongs to the Church?

All persons throughout the world, professing the faith of the gospel, and obedience unto God by Christ according unto it, not destroying their own profession by any errors everting the foundation, or unholiness of conversation, are and may be called visible saints; and of such ought all particular congregations to be constituted.
( 1 Corinthians 1:2; Acts 11:26; Romans 1:7; Ephesians 1:20-22 )

Do we have unbelievers in the visable Church?

The purest churches under heaven are subject to mixture and error; and some have so degenerated as to become no churches of Christ, but synagogues of Satan; nevertheless Christ always hath had, and ever shall have a kingdom in this world, to the end thereof, of such as believe in him, and make profession of his name.
( 1 Corinthians 5; Revelation 2; Revelation 3; Revelation 18:2; 2 Thessalonians 2:11, 12; Matthew 16:18; Psalms 72:17; Psalm 102:28; Revelation 12:17 )

Who is the head of the Church? (Not the pope.)

The Lord Jesus Christ is the Head of the church, in whom, by the appointment of the Father, all power for the calling, institution, order or government of the church, is invested in a supreme and sovereign manner; neither can the Pope of Rome in any sense be head thereof, but is that antichrist, that man of sin, and son of perdition, that exalteth himself in the church against Christ, and all that is called God; whom the Lord shall destroy with the brightness of his coming.
( Colossians 1:18; Matthew 28:18-20; Ephesians 4:11, 12; 2 Thessalonians 2:2-9 )

Should I go on Bill? You know I can.

Peace

jason

http://www.reformedreader.org/ccc/1689l ... pter26.htm

The Early Church accepted the scriptures we have today as Canon, along with at least 5 or 6 other books of the New Testament, and some of the Old - such as the Book od Macabee's. But it was in the 4th Century that the Councils decided which "the Church" would accept as Canon of scripture. Their decision was based on mostly on the authorship of each book, as well as the contents and other reasons that were debatable. 5 of the books of the NT were later questioned as acceptible as Canon; first in the 4th century, and then by Martin Luther - who want to remove 2 Peter, 2 & 3 John, 2 Peter, and James from the Canon of scripture. The 5 or 6 books that were rejected as Canon by the coucils were rejected based on fact that they were not written by one of the Apostles. You will notice that the books of our Bibles were written only by Apostles. But the contents of these othe 5 or 6 books were not rejected as holding truth. The Early Church Fathers quoted these books as scripture, which were later rejected. These are "The Epistle of Barnabas", "The Shepherd of Hermas", "1 Clement", and "the Apocalypse of Peter". Books that were discovered too later to be entered into the Canon were the "Didache" and "the Epistle of the Apostles". If a letter from an Apostle were to be found today that had never been discovered, it would never be accepted by the Church as an adition to scripture, even if it was inspired. But I think did give us what He wanted us to have. The other writings do hold truth and agree with the scriptures. They are not necessary for determining doctrine - but can be helpful as history of what the Church believed.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back