Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Who were the 144,000

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
The 144,000 may have been tasked with evangelizing the earth, but there is nothing in the text of Revelation that would suggest this. Certainly, there is no literary tie between the 144,000 and the multitudes of saints that came out of the Tribulation in Revelation 7:9, 10. Both of these groups are in Heaven - the 144,000 are being sealed in Heaven and the and now found in Heaven being comforted by God but there is nothing in the text that connects the two of them.

We see the Two Witnesses prophesying in Revelation 11:6 and the angel in Rev 14:6 having the eternal gospel to preach, so if the 144,000 were evangelists, why doesn't the text say so?

What do we know about the 144,000?

1) They are saved from among the lines of Israel as the text so clearly states in Revelation 7:4-8. Those in the replacement theology camp are uncomfortable with this idea so they attempt to allegorize and spiritualize this passage away, but the fact is that God still has a plan for the people of Israel.

2) They were sealed in Heaven Rev 7:1-4 as the whole drama of Rev 7 takes place in Heaven, suggesting they are resurrected, and glorified saints. Perhaps because you may be in the pre-trib rapture camp that you cannot reconcile a part of the church being on the earth. However, these are resurrected and glorified saints so even within the pre-trib construct, they can. Perhaps the most compelling reason to believe that these 144,000 were resurrected and glorified saints is they were described in Rev 14:4 as: "These are the ones who have not been defiled with women," contrasting them to the 200 falling angels in the Book of Enoch who united with women and created the Nephilim. We find in Rev 14:4 that they had been "purchased from the earth", and finally, they are defined as "the first fruits of God" Rev 14:4 which connects them with the resurrection imagery of the Feast of First Fruits.

3) The 144,000 are sealed with the name of the Father and the Son, partially as you suggest to protect them. As the righteous were protected in Ezekiel 8 - 9, by being sealed with a Tev, or a cross as it would have been marked in Ancient Hebrew, so the 144,000 come under the authority and atoning blood of Messiah. But there is more to this sealing than just coming under the protection of the upcoming judgment, as the seal of 144,000 is being contrasted here in chapter 14 with the seal of those who were marked by the beast in chapter 13. As those who followed the Beast were able to buy or sell because of their mark, the 144,000 were connected to God through their seal for their provision and power.

4) What we do know that the 144,000 did, was worship! Revelation 14:3 says "They sang a new song before the throne and before the four living creatures and the elders, and no one could learn the song except the one hundred and forty-four thousand." There are 10 celebrations of worship in the Book of Revelation and after each celebration, something amazing happens. In this case, the worship of the 144,000 evokes the rapture of the church in Revelation 14:14-20. I also believe they are part of the worship celebration of Revelation 15, as "they sang the song of Moses, the bond-servant of God, and the song of the Lamb" - something you could imagine a group of redeemed and glorified Messianic saints could do. In the celebration of worship of Revelation 15, they bring about the the anti-creation event of Revelation 16.

It appears to me that the 144000 are in Jerusalem standing on Mt Zion.

Revelation 14:1
Then I looked, and there before me was the Lamb, standing on Mount Zion, and with him 144,000 who had his name and his Father’s name written on their foreheads.

I believe the 144000 are they who have gotten the victory over the beast and are resurected and will reign with Christ over the nations.
The great multitude out of the nations appear to be them who survived the great tribulation who had received rain from.God.They go to Jerusalem to keep the feast of tabernacles.

Revelation 14:4
These are those who did not defile themselves with women, for they remained virgins. They follow the Lamb wherever he goes. They were purchased from among mankind and offered as firstfruits to God and the Lamb.

They follow the Lamb suggests they took up their cross and preached in Israel as Christ did and was hated and persecuted and murdered as Christ was.They did as Christ commands in the gospel.

Last edited:
The 144,000 may have been tasked with evangelizing the earth, but there is nothing in the text of Revelation that would suggest this. Certainly, there is no literary tie between the 144,000 and the multitudes of saints that came out of the Tribulation in Revelation 7:9, 10. Both of these groups are in Heaven - the 144,000 are being sealed in Heaven and the and now found in Heaven being comforted by God but there is nothing in the text that connects the two of them.

We see the Two Witnesses prophesying in Revelation 11:6 and the angel in Rev 14:6 having the eternal gospel to preach, so if the 144,000 were evangelists, why doesn't the text say so?

What do we know about the 144,000?

1) They are saved from among the lines of Israel as the text so clearly states in Revelation 7:4-8. Those in the replacement theology camp are uncomfortable with this idea so they attempt to allegorize and spiritualize this passage away, but the fact is that God still has a plan for the people of Israel.

2) They were sealed in Heaven Rev 7:1-4 as the whole drama of Rev 7 takes place in Heaven, suggesting they are resurrected, and glorified saints. Perhaps because you may be in the pre-trib rapture camp that you cannot reconcile a part of the church being on the earth. However, these are resurrected and glorified saints so even within the pre-trib construct, they can. Perhaps the most compelling reason to believe that these 144,000 were resurrected and glorified saints is they were described in Rev 14:4 as: "These are the ones who have not been defiled with women," contrasting them to the 200 falling angels in the Book of Enoch who united with women and created the Nephilim. We find in Rev 14:4 that they had been "purchased from the earth", and finally, they are defined as "the first fruits of God" Rev 14:4 which connects them with the resurrection imagery of the Feast of First Fruits.

3) The 144,000 are sealed with the name of the Father and the Son, partially as you suggest to protect them. As the righteous were protected in Ezekiel 8 - 9, by being sealed with a Tev, or a cross as it would have been marked in Ancient Hebrew, so the 144,000 come under the authority and atoning blood of Messiah. But there is more to this sealing than just coming under the protection of the upcoming judgment, as the seal of 144,000 is being contrasted here in chapter 14 with the seal of those who were marked by the beast in chapter 13. As those who followed the Beast were able to buy or sell because of their mark, the 144,000 were connected to God through their seal for their provision and power.

4) What we do know that the 144,000 did, was worship! Revelation 14:3 says "They sang a new song before the throne and before the four living creatures and the elders, and no one could learn the song except the one hundred and forty-four thousand." There are 10 celebrations of worship in the Book of Revelation and after each celebration, something amazing happens. In this case, the worship of the 144,000 evokes the rapture of the church in Revelation 14:14-20. I also believe they are part of the worship celebration of Revelation 15, as "they sang the song of Moses, the bond-servant of God, and the song of the Lamb" - something you could imagine a group of redeemed and glorified Messianic saints could do. In the celebration of worship of Revelation 15, they bring about the the anti-creation event of Revelation
Who were the 144,000? Are you saying the passages of Revelation that you mentioned are fulfilled prophecy?

The 144,000 is of the golden measure of faith. God does not literately number people rather than have them walk by faith as the unseen thing of God.

Israel suffered more than once because of the trusting in number and not his unseen golden power of faith trusting God .

The Holy Spirit's golden measure literally unknown not necessary. No literal signs to wonder after was given. He will leave like a thief in the night on the last day under the Sun .

Revelation 21:15 And he that talked with me had a golden reed to measure the city, and the gates thereof, and the wall thereof . . . . . . . .(Gods golden measure)

Revelation 21:17 And he measured the wall thereof, an hundred and forty and four cubits, according to the measure of a man, that is, of the angel.. . . . . . . .(The literal number of men the messenger John. The fake word angel is messenger.

How beautiful are the feet of the apostles they bring the golden message of faith

144,000 the chaste virgin bride the church below. . .

Revelation 12:1-2King James Version And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars:
And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered.

Last edited:
Both of these groups are in Heaven - the 144,000 are being sealed in Heaven
Where does it say they are being sealed in heaven ?
The 144,000 are being sealed while they are on earth for protection while they remain on earth . To preach to the world .

Both of these groups are in Heaven - the 144,000 are being sealed in Heaven and the and now found in Heaven being comforted by God but there is nothing in the text that connects the two of them.
The second group in Rev7:9 are the redeemed , the ones who listened to the 144,000 preach and became born again Christians during the tribulation .

The 144,000 are being sealed while they are on earth for protection while they remain on earth . To preach to the world .

The second group in Rev7:9 are the redeemed , the ones who listened to the 144,000 preach and became born again Christians during the tribulation .
This is speaking about the 144000.

4 These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb.

Scripture does not say they preach to the world.

4 These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb.

Why are the 144,000 sealed ?

Clearly a picture of the chaste virgin bride the church, redeemed mankind.

Why are the 144,000 sealed ?

Because they overcame.

Revelations 3:12
Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

Because they overcame.

Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.
They are sealed for protection when they are on earth witnessing for God . The seal of God is a marker of God's power and the MOTB is an imitation provided by the Beast .

They are sealed for protection when they are on earth witnessing for God . The seal of God is a marker of God's power and the MOTB is an imitation provided by the Beast .
No,they are sealed with the name of God in their foreheads after all the witnessing is done.After the 6th seal has been opened.
They are sealed on the day of the Lord when Christ comes and raises the dead.

Revelation 6
12 And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;

13 And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.

14 And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.

15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;

16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:

17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

7 And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.

2 And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea,

3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.

4 And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.

And I gave you the correct answer as to why they are sealed with the name of God in their foreheads.
They have overcome.

Revelation 14:1
Then I looked, and there before me was the Lamb, standing on Mount Zion, and with him 144,000 who had his name and his Father’s name written on their foreheads.

Last edited:
PS
Scripture does not say these 144000 witnesses to the world.Scripture does say that they follow the Lamb.Jesus was not sent to the world.He was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Mathew 15:24
He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.”

Jesus in turn sends them to the lost sheep of the house of Israel

Mathew 10
commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:

6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

7 And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.

9 Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses,

10 Nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat.

11 And into whatsoever city or town ye shall enter, enquire who in it is worthy; and there abide till ye go thence.

12 And when ye come into an house, salute it.

13 And if the house be worthy, let your peace come upon it: but if it be not worthy, let your peace return to you.

14 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.

15 Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.

16 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

17 But beware of men: for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you in their synagogues;

18 And ye shall be brought before governors and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them and the Gentiles.

19 But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak.

20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

21 And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death.

22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

23 But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come.

Jesus said who he would send these to along time ago.

Mathew 23:34
Therefore I am sending you prophets and sages and teachers. Some of them you will kill and crucify; others you will flog in your synagogues and pursue from town to town.

Well, we know the narrator John is in Heaven - Rev 4:1
We know that the great multitude which no one could count is in Heaven - 7:14
We know that the angels who were standing around the throne and the elders are in Heaven - Rev 7:11
And . . . we know that God on His Thrown is in Heaven - Rev 7:15

The whole narrative here in chapter 7 is in Heaven! How do you place the 144,000 on earth when the setting of everything else is in Heaven?

The whole narrative here in chapter 7 is in Heaven! How do you place the 144,000 on earth when the setting of everything else is in Heaven?
I read the first verse . " Four corners of earth "
Revelation 7:1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.

they are sealed to protect them from God's wrath - Rev 7:3
God's wrath on earth . Unless you have God's wrath taking place in heaven :chin .

Because they overcame.

They are sealed so they can work here on this earth . Being "sealed " is for protection .
Revelation 7:3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.

No,they are sealed with the name of God in their foreheads after all the witnessing is done.
So now you admit they do witness for God . The seal of God is for protection and it has to come before their work starts just like we are told in the first 8 verses in Revelation 7 .

Back