Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why Sabbath should be kept for Christians - evidence from the timeline of Jesus' death and resurrection

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
The law of Moses is way more than just the 10 Commandments.

However, let's hold that thought for a moment and examine what the scriptures teach.

Physical circumcision is the first thing.

Then the sacrifice of animals for your sins.

Then there is the food laws, clothing laws, ceremonial washings, feast days as well as sabbath requirements; as in putting a person to death for even picking up sticks to kindle a fire.

Example:

You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. Exodus 31:14-15

The law of Moses was the dividing wall of separation, that divided Jews from Gentiles.

Jesus abolished the law of Moses, so as to bring about the one new man in Him.

For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity. And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near. For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father. Ephesians 2:14-18

• and has broken down the middle wall of separation, having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace

JLB
The key here is the wall of separation which was the one at the Temple to keep the gentiles out. Jesus breaks those ordinances down, so all can come to Him now...

The key here is the wall of separation which was the one at the Temple to keep the gentiles out. Jesus breaks those ordinances down, so all can come to Him now...

The key certainly is the middle wall of seperation.

The law is the middle wall of separation between Jew and Gentile.

The law of Moses was abolished thus removing the enmity, and creating in Him, One New Man!

How many times has God made void on his end, covenants that were to be everlasting?

Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus"

The law of Moses was abolished

Deut 7:9
9 Know therefore that the Lord thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;

1 Chronicles 16
15 Be ye mindful always of his covenant; the word which he commanded to a thousand generations;

16 Even of the covenant which he made with Abraham, and of his oath unto Isaac;

17 And hath confirmed the same to Jacob for a law, and to Israel for an everlasting covenant,

Abolished YOU say?

Deut 7:9
9 Know therefore that the Lord thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;

1 Chronicles 16
15 Be ye mindful always of his covenant; the word which he commanded to a thousand generations;

16 Even of the covenant which he made with Abraham, and of his oath unto Isaac;

17 And hath confirmed the same to Jacob for a law, and to Israel for an everlasting covenant,

Abolished YOU say?

Do you keep these commandments -

• Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. Exodus 31:14-16

• You shall kindle no fire throughout your dwellings on the Sabbath

Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh day shall be a holy day for you, a Sabbath of rest to the LORD. Whoever does any work on it shall be put to death. You shall kindle no fire throughout your dwellings on the Sabbath day.” Exodus 35:2-3

• all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him with stones, and he died.

Now while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day. And those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses and Aaron, and to all the congregation. They put him under guard, because it had not been explained what should be done to him.
Then the LORD said to Moses, “The man must surely be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp.” So, as the LORD commanded Moses, all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him with stones, and he died. Numbers 15:32-36

Do you and your congregation observe this Sabbath commandment?

Have you ever cooked anything on a Saturday?

JLB

Do you keep these commandments
You really should educate yourself on the law before you insinuate that the law is being broke if you don't stone someone to death.

Who would deliver the decision to stone someone?
Is that institution established today?

Who makes the sacrifice possible?
Is that hierarchy around today?

Where are the sacrifices commanded to take place?
Is that place available today?

Educate yourself.

Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you; and the people shall go out and gather a certain rate every day,

that I may prove them, whether they will walk in my law, or no. Exodus16:4

Are you suggesting that if someone doesn't keep them that the commandments have been abolished?

The law of Moses, which includes animal sacrifices, and death to those who cook on the Sabbath, and a multitude of other commandments, has been abolished.

The law of Christ and His commandments are what the Church is obligated to obey today, under the New Covenant.

Obeying His Commandments (law), His Doctrine and His Gospel are salvation related issues.

See my bible study thread on "Do we love the truth".

JLB

Are you suggesting that if someone doesn't keep them that the commandments have been abolished?

No.

I'm saying the law of Moses was abolished; having been taken out of the way, and nailed to the cross.

JLB

No.

I'm saying the law of Moses was abolished; having been taken out of the way, and nailed to the cross.

JLB

First fulfill doesn't mean destroy or abolish, to end, to get rid of, to make void.

Jesus said he didn't come to abolish the Law.

He fulfilled it by living it to the fullest in letter and in spirit showing us how we should live. He carried out the law. He didn't end any part of the law, and Jesus directed us to live like he lived.

The only ones abolishing the law are today's Christians.

NIV
17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

Dictionary:
De-stroy
put an end to the existence of (something) by damaging or attacking it.

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Dictionary
Fulfill
carry out (a task, duty, or role) as required, pledged, or expected

Greek word pleroo(fulfill)

Pleroo Definition
to make full, to fill up, i.e. to fill to the full
to cause to abound, to furnish or supply liberally
I abound, I am liberally supplied
to render full, i.e. to complete
to fill to the top: so that nothing shall be wanting to full measure, fill to the brim

to consummate: a number
to make complete in every particular, to render perfect
to carry through to the end, to accomplish, carry out, (some undertaking)
to carry into effect, bring to realisation, realise
of matters of duty: to perform, execute
of sayings, promises, prophecies, to bring to pass, ratify, accomplish
to fulfil, i.e. to cause God's will (as made known in the law) to be obeyed as it should be, and God's promises (given through the prophets) to receive fulfilment

Acts 6:12
12 So they stirred up the people and the elders and the teachers of the law. They seized Stephen and brought him before the Sanhedrin. 13 They produced (((((((false witnesses,)))))))) who testified, “This fellow never stops speaking against this holy place and against the law. 14 For we have heard him say that this (((((Jesus of Nazareth will destroy this place and change the customs Moses handed down to us.”))))))

False witnesses (liars)
Claimed Jesus would end the law that Moses gave.

That's what my Bible teaches.

But you keep on believing Satan's lie that Jesus abolished God's law.

Romans 2:12
((((((((((((12 All who sin <<<<apart>>>>> from the law will also perish apart from the law,)))))))))

and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who ((((obey the law)))) who will be declared righteous.

Col 2:14
Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

The Mosaic law is neutral, it has blessings and curses, so this isn't what was written against us.

The law of the jealous husband is what this scripture refers to.

God follows his LAW, he cannot come back into covenant with Israel unless he follows his law.

Numbers 5:21-29
Then the priest shall charge the woman with an oath of cursing, and the priest shall say unto the woman, The Lord make thee a curse and an oath among thy people, when the Lord doth make thy thigh to rot, and thy belly to swell;

22 And this water that causeth the curse shall go into thy bowels, to make thy belly to swell, and thy thigh to rot: And the woman shall say, Amen, amen.

23 And the priest shall write these curses in a book, and he shall blot them out with the bitter water:

24 And he shall cause the woman to drink the bitter water that causeth the curse: and the water that causeth the curse shall enter into her, and become bitter.

25 Then the priest shall take the jealousy offering out of the woman's hand, and shall wave the offering before the Lord, and offer it upon the altar:

26 And the priest shall take an handful of the offering, even the memorial thereof, and burn it upon the altar, and afterward shall cause the woman to drink the water.

27 And when he hath made her to drink the water, then it shall come to pass, that, if she be defiled, and have done trespass against her husband, that the water that causeth the curse shall enter into her, and become bitter, and her belly shall swell, and her thigh shall rot: and the woman shall be a curse among her people.

28 And if the woman be not defiled, but be clean; then she shall be free, and shall conceive seed.

29 This is the law of jealousies, when a wife goeth aside to another instead of her husband, and is defiled;

So christ died in place of the accused wife, (judah) and The northern kingdom of Israel who he divorced in order for them to come back into covenant.

Three things happen to the guilty wife.
1. Her stomach swells
2. The thighs waste away
3. She is cursed, mocked

Three things happened to Jesus on the cross.
Guess what they were.

I did not claim that this is the only reason he died.
Just one reason he died.

If he didn't take the place of the guilty wife, he can not come back into covenant with them. With us.
We are his bride along with Judah, and the northern kingdom.

So show me I'm wrong from the scripture regarding God's ability to remarry his church after adultery.

According to scripture.

I know it's a deep subject, but God never breaks his law so how do you go around it?

Matthew 15:24 says, "But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel".

In order to be brought back into covenant so that Israel could remarry, the husband has to die.

Christ died in place of the guilty wife so he can remarry her. That's the only way Israel can remarry.

He blotted out the ordinance that was written against us ( the northern kingdom of Israel)

We are part of that us. We are his lost sheep.

Nailing it to the cross.

He didn't nail the law to the cross because the law was not just written against us.
It came with a ((blessing)) and a curse.

The law is neutral.

We are his lost sheep of Israel, we are who he came for.

We are graphed into the Nation of Israel when we enter the faith as a Gentile.

LEV 26
33 I will scatter you among the nations and will draw out my sword and pursue you. Your land will be laid waste, and your cities will lie in ruins.

45 But for their sake I will remember the covenant with their ancestors whom I brought out of Egypt in the sight of the nations to be their God. I am the Lord.’”

Jesus said it himself.
I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel".

All that to say, yes the Sabbath should be kept by all who are in the faith.

Sorry, Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back