Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

2 Timothy 2:4

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Tina

NKJV
No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier.

NIV
No one serving as a soldier gets entangled in civilian affairs, but rather tries to please his commanding officer.

ESV
No soldier gets entangled in civilian pursuits, since his aim is to please the one who enlisted him.

NLT
Soldiers don’t get tied up in the affairs of civilian life, for then they cannot please the officer who enlisted them.

NASB
No soldier in active service entangles himself in the affairs of everyday life, so that he may please the one who enlisted him as a soldier.

How should we rightly interprete this scripture ?

Does it mean Christians are not to vote or be involved in politics ?

Tina

Well, maybe things were different in the 1st century under the Roman Empire. But in America, if being a soldier meant that they couldn’t vote or involve themselves with politics, then I guess several American Presidents became President under false pretenses. Starting with General George Washington.

FC

NKJV
No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier.

How should we rightly interprete this scripture ?

Does it mean Christians are not to vote or be involved in politics ?

I believe Christians should not take part in politics but this verse seems not to be addressing that.

It is talking about all things worldly. Now we must do things in this world like work and pay taxes and wash ourselves. But the operative word in this verse is "entangles". We are not to get caught up in mundane things of this world to the extent that it will be a detriment to our work for the truth of Jesus.

So if there is something in your life that is taking up all your time, thoughts and mental energy and this same thing is causing you to be unable to serve God then you have been entangled by the affairs of life and it is preventing your from doing the most important thing. Following Jesus.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

A slightly different question to shine a little more light;

What area of life should believers abandon to the enemy?

Tina, the answer to this would be to look at the context of the Scripture you quote:

You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. The things which you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, entrust these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. Suffer hardship with me, as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. No soldier in active service entangles himself in the affairs of everyday life, so that he may please the one who enlisted him as a soldier. Also if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not win the prize unless he competes according to the rules. The hard-working farmer ought to be the first to receive his share of the crops. Consider what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything. 2 Tim 2:1-7

Paul is addressing Timothy here...Timothy being the young pastor at one of the more difficult churches, Ephesus. He isn't addressing just anyone. He is addressing "you, therefore, my son"...Timothy himself and instructs him to pass the message along to other faithful men who will become teachers.

These words, while they can be examples to all of us, are really written more to those who are called to give their lives full time to the gospel...pastors, evangelists, etc. He is speaking of the dedication, the discipline and the sacrifice that these folks are to make.

I don't think this text has anything to say at all about the average Christian being in politics or voting. However, it certainly shows that a pastor, minister, evangelists etc. shouldn't be pursuing politics.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back