Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

50 Ways to Tell Your Child, "I Love You !"

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
V

vinc

50 Ways to Tell Your Child, "I Love You !"
By Joe White

1. When your child is participating in an athletic event or musical performance, be there watching.

2. Help your son or daughter learn a new skill such as riding a bike, making a cake, or fixing a flat tyre.

3. Leave an "I love you" note in your child’s school lunch box.

4. Read a chapter together from your child’s favorite book.

5. Find a new way to trust your child by granting a new area of responsibility that he or she would both enjoy and benefit from.

6. When your teen-aged son or daughter comes in after meeting a girl-friend or boy-friend, have popcorn together.

7. Go out in the snow together and throw snowballs at a target (even a few at each other).

8. Listen to your child with all your attention.

9. Help your child wash his or her bike (or tricycle).

10. Snuggle in bed together as you tell a good-night story.

11. Have a water-pistol fight. (Let your kids drench you).

12. Make up a secret code language and write messages to one another.

13. Say, "I’m proud of you!"

14. Prepare your child’s favorite dinner menu twice in one week.

15. Make up and tell stories with your kids as the heroes.

16. Bring home your child’s favorite candy bar.

17. Take an evening walk together.

18. Have a pillow fight together some night at bedtime.

19. Play games together.

20. The Bible’s love chapter says that love "is kind" (1 Cor 13:4). Think of a special way you can show kindness to your child today.

21. Take nature hikes together and collect leaves, acorns, rocks, moss, sticks, or whatever.

22. Spend a special time praying together for others for the leaders and teachers in your church, for government officials, for any missionaries your child knows, for neighbours, for friends, for family members.

23. Keep a scrapbook of your child’s awards, newspaper clippings, photos and so on. Get it out often and look at it together.

24. Invite your son’s or daughter’s friends to your home to spend an evening.

25. Build a "Faith Growth Chart" on which you list prayers and answers in one column and memorized Bible verses in another. See your child’s faith grow!

26. Make popcorn, curl up together on the couch and watch your son’s or daughter’s favorite video for the 20th time.

27. After a scolding, tell your child, "Did you know I love you even when you’re naughty?" Then give him or her a hug.

28. Build and fly kites together.

29. Show your child a special card or picture he or she has given you that you’ve kept for a long time.

30. Give your child your full attention when he or she tells you what happened at school today, and provide a thoughtful response.

31. Compliment your child’s attempt to keep a tidy room.

32. Show your child one of his or her baby pictures and tell why it’s one of your favorites.

33. Help your daughter fix her hair in a special way.

34. Take a winter’s afternoon off and do a puzzle together.

35. Take your child out to breakfast (just the two of you) before school.

36. Before a big event in your child’s life a birthday, a competition, a big test at school decorate his or her room with crepe paper and posters.

37. Allow your child to plan the day for your family.

38. Go on a bike ride together around the neighbourhood.

39. Take your child out for a cricket match, and go out for dinner afterward.

40. Display (on the refrigerator or in another prominent spot) the artwork or other creations your child made at school, Sunday school, and so on.

41. Ask for your child’s opinion on a big family decision.

42. Cook breakfast together on Saturday morning.

43. Tell your spouse how proud you are of your child for something he or she did, and let him or her overhear your remarks.

44. As you notice your child making or doing something creative, call other family members to come and see.

45. Give your child a hug when he or she is feeling down.

46. Make pack lunches for you and your child, and enjoy them together at a local park.

47. Plant flowers or vegetable seeds with your child. As you together see the plants sprout and grow, talk about your child’s own growth physically, intellectually, socially and spiritually.

48. Talk with your child about what you believe about God.

49. Talk openly with your child about your most significant convictions, and ask for his or her opinions in response.

50. In a relaxed moment together, talk about favorite memories. (Even younger children enjoy this their "past" may be short in years, but relative to their ages it seems just as long as ours.) Talk about favorite gifts, favorite toys, favorite surprises.

(Excerpted and adapted from Faith Training by the author. Copyright 1994 Joe White.)

Thanks for that! I think I'll print that out as a reminder of the little things that mean so much to our kids. My mom always showed me love in so many ways. One of my fondest memories is how she'd take me to the canal every day when I was about 4 or 5 and we'd catch tadpoles together. And she would chase me around our pool. We'd have birthday parties for my baby dolls and she'd bake a cake and invite all my friends.

Those little things she did meant more than the words "I love you".

:angel:

Back