Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

A Reprobate Mind

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Lewis

A reprobate mind is scary' very scary' if God turns tou over to it' you are finished.

KJV
Romans 1:28
And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

A lot of people don't understand God and think they can hide from Him. They're like little children who hide under the blankets, believing that if they can't see Him, He can't see them. They believe that if they act a certain way and talk a certain way, what they really feel inside doesn't count. They believe that as long as they don't reveal them, their secrets are safe.

In their heart of hearts, they believe, "it can never happen to me".

yeah...the reprobate mind is quite frightening, to me at least. My Pentecostal friend explained it to me this way: in her view, God deals with everybody. Keep fighting him, keep digging deeper in your sins, one day...you're turned over. That's it.

Scary stuff.

A lot of people don't understand God and think they can hide from Him. They're like little children who hide under the blankets, believing that if they can't see Him, He can't see them. They believe that if they act a certain way and talk a certain way, what they really feel inside doesn't count. They believe that as long as they don't reveal them, their secrets are safe.

Psalm 139:7-12 Where can I go from Your Spirit?
Or where can I flee from Your presence?
8 If I ascend into heaven, You are there;
If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there.
9 If I take the wings of the morning,
And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
10 Even there Your hand shall lead me,
And Your right hand shall hold me.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness shall fall[a] on me,”
Even the night shall be light about me;
12 Indeed, the darkness shall not hide from You,
But the night shines as the day;
The darkness and the light are both alike to You.

Their are many happenings in life that the human heart can say "it can never happen to me".They are very judgmental.But if it does happen to them they are shocked.They then have a totally different outlook.

yeah...the reprobate mind is quite frightening, to me at least. My Pentecostal friend explained it to me this way: in her view, God deals with everybody. Keep fighting him, keep digging deeper in your sins, one day...you're turned over. That's it.

Scary stuff.

Do you believe that Jesus is your Lord and Savoir? Are you born again?

There are only 3 verses, that I found, in the NT that a reprobate is spoken of and just one that speaks of God turning someone over to a reprobate mind.

Rom_1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

Who is the they in this verse? When did God do this?

2Ti_3:8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.

Tit_1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

In neither of these verse is God turning anyone over to a reprobate mind. They have reprobate minds.
Are they believers in Jesus as their Lord and Savior?

I do not feel such a person is saved, They can be if they repent and turn to God.
reprobate is a horrible word it means "Already rejected, unapproved, found worthless.
I find 8 times it appears and each one is a person that chooses not to believe God.
I would say you do not want this to be God's view of you!

Rom_1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

Who is the they in this verse? When did God do this?

Romans 1
32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

I believe they are believers.

As for when? I believe it occurs anytime a believer is in the habit of continuous sinful behavior.

Just my take.

Romans 1
32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

As for when? I believe it occurs anytime a believer is in the habit of continuous sinful behavior.

Just my take.
What is your definition of continuous sinful behavior vs. missing the mark daily vs. practicing sinning? Anyone please answer.

Reprobate

rep·ro·bate
[rep-ruh-beyt] Show IPA
noun
a depraved, unprincipled, or wicked person: a drunken reprobate.
a person rejected by God and beyond hope of salvation.
adjective
morally depraved; unprincipled; bad.
rejected by God and beyond hope of salvation.
verb (used with object), rep·ro·bat·ed, rep·ro·bat·ing.
to disapprove, condemn, or censure.
(of God) to reject (a person), as for sin; exclude from the number of the elect or from salvation.
Origin:
1400–50; late Middle English reprobaten < Latin reprobātus; past participle of reprobāre to reprove

Related forms
rep·ro·ba·cy [rep-ruh-buh-see] Show IPA , rep·ro·bate·ness, noun
rep·ro·bat·er, noun
un·rep·ro·bat·ed, adjective

Synonyms
1. tramp, scoundrel, wastrel, miscreant, wretch, rascal, cad, rogue. 2. outcast, pariah. 3. wicked, sinful, evil, corrupt. 5. reprehend, blame, rebuke, reprove.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/reprobate

Dr.Charles Stanley once did a sermon on "God putting someone on the shelf".It was about this.A person who called themself a Christian who was in continuous "willful" sin.

Did any of you see this ?

Reprobate

rep·ro·bate
[rep-ruh-beyt] Show IPA
noun
a depraved, unprincipled, or wicked person: a drunken reprobate.
a person rejected by God and beyond hope of salvation.
adjective
morally depraved; unprincipled; bad.
rejected by God and beyond hope of salvation.
verb (used with object), rep·ro·bat·ed, rep·ro·bat·ing.
to disapprove, condemn, or censure.
(of God) to reject (a person), as for sin; exclude from the number of the elect or from salvation.
Origin:
1400–50; late Middle English reprobaten < Latin reprobātus; past participle of reprobāre to reprove

Related forms
rep·ro·ba·cy [rep-ruh-buh-see] Show IPA , rep·ro·bate·ness, noun
rep·ro·bat·er, noun
un·rep·ro·bat·ed, adjective

Synonyms
1. tramp, scoundrel, wastrel, miscreant, wretch, rascal, cad, rogue. 2. outcast, pariah. 3. wicked, sinful, evil, corrupt. 5. reprehend, blame, rebuke, reprove.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/reprobate

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery,[c] fornication, uncleanness, lewdness,

20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies,

21 envy, murders,[d] drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

24 And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another. Galatians 5 NKJV

What is the difference between willful sin and missing the mark daily with sin?

Missing the mark daily could mean the individual isn't putting forth their best effort. (ie. they're lazy or lukewarm) This I believe is a form of willful sin.

Or it could be that they just don't know any better.

Of course, these are just my opinions.

Last edited:
Romans 1

Just my take.

Hi Gary,
This is a scripture that I believe is an example of what Paul was talking about in Romans 1. So even with the Gentiles in time past, men knew there was a Godhead, God had shown them in the creation and I believe in their conscious.

Act 14:16 Who in times past suffered all nations to walk in their own ways.

Act 17:18 Then certain philosophers of the Epicureans, and of the Stoicks, encountered him. And some said, What will this babbler say? other some, He seemeth to be a setter forth of strange gods: because he preached unto them Jesus, and the resurrection.......
Act 17:21 (For all the Athenians and strangers which were there spent their time in nothing else, but either to tell, or to hear some new thing.)
Act 17:22 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.
Act 17:23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.
Act 17:24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
Act 17:25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
Act 17:26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
Act 17:27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
Act 17:28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
Act 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
Act 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back