Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

America Was Founded On Christian Principles

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Lewis K-

That whole essay is an exercise in historical revisionism.

Our founding fathers were God-fearing men who understood that for a country to stand it must have a solid foundation; the Bible was the source of this foundation. They believed that God's ways were much higher than Man's ways and held firmly that the Bible was the absolute standard of truth and used the Bible as a source to form our government.
The Founding Fathers were influenced by the Enlightenment, and rational thought in particular. Many of the basic ideas we see in the Declaration of Independence and in the Constitution were borrowed from policitical, social and economic philosophers, as well as past governments. God was an influence, but not the only influence.

The Founding Fathers looked to people and institutions like John Locke, Aristotle, Thomas Hobbes, The Ancient Roman Government, Greek philosophers like Plato, Voltaire, Spinoza, Adam Smith, Jean-Jacque Rousseau, the Spartan government (the first true system with checks and balances).

It was influenced by the ideas of the Enlightenment, chief among them natural law, Deism, and the concept of self-determination.

If you want to read a piece that was highly influential on the Founding Fathers, which the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution mirror, read John Locke's 2nd Treatise on Government.

Therefore, to say Biblical principles should not be allowed in government and school is to either be ignorant of the historic intent of the founding fathers, or blatantly bigoted against Christianity.
Religion, in general, should not be legislated. This is the point. It is not a matter of being bigoted against Christianity. It is about guarding the government from one particular, dominant religious worldview.

Without people of the United States upholding good moral conduct, society soon degenerates into a corrupt system where people misuse the authority of government to obtain what they want at the expense of others.
Morality can be upheld without religious ideology. We innately know what is moral and what is not. Morality existed long before the rise of Christianity.

This is why Biblical morality was taught in public schools until the early 1960's.
By this do you mean that students were required to study the Bible? This is not the province of the government, but that of the church.

Government officials were required to declare their belief in God even to be allowed to hold a public office until a case in the U.S. Supreme Court called Torcaso v. Watkins (Oct. 1960).
Which states? The Southern states?

God was seen as the author of natural law and morality. If one did not believe in God one could not operate from a proper moral base.
History has shown us that many people and nations can operate from a proper moral base. The idea that this is an impossibility is patently absurd.

The two primary places where morality is taught are the family and the church.
Then there is no need for religious ideology in the state.

It is absolutely necessary for the church to influence the state in virtue because without virtue our government will crumble -- the representatives will look after their own good instead of the country's.
No, it is not absolutely necessary.

If the Enlightenment taught us and the Founding Fathers anything, it was that individuals do not need the Church to help them understand moral concepts. And that religious institutions need not be the ultimate arbiters of society.

Government was never meant to be our master as in a ruthless monarchy or dictatorship.
Indeed. So, how then do you rationalize the fundamentalist Christian attempts to rule American society through their immovable worldview?

Instead, it was to be our servant.
Servant of the people, not of religion.

The founding fathers believed that the people have full power to govern themselves
Indeed, instead of religion governing the people.

The worldview at the time of the founding of our government was a view held by the Bible: that Man's heart is corrupt and if the opportunity to advance oneself at the expense of another arose, more often than not, we would choose to do so.
This view is also held by a great number of political, social and economic philosophers going back to at least the time of the Greeks.

They also did not set up the government as a true democracy, because they believed, as mentioned earlier, Man tends towards wickedness. Just because the majority wants something does not mean that it should be granted, because the majority could easily err. Government was not to be run by whatever the majority wanted but instead by principle, specifically the principles of the Bible.
This country was modeled after both the Spartan and Roman governments, which were both Republics, and very successful Republics. And neither of these governments were Jewish or Christian governments.

Please read up on your ancient governments.

Our U.S. Constitution was founded on Biblical principles and it was the intention of the authors for this to be a Christian nation.
If this were to be a Christian nation, then there would have been an Amendment establishing the United States as a Christian state. There was not. The 1st Amendment guards against any attempts of establishing a state religion. This is non-negotiable, and not subject to historical revisionism.

Not to mention, if this were to be a Christian state, then why didn't the founding fathers write "We the Christian people" instead of "We the people"?

Jefferson and Madison, amongst others, were weary of the mingling of religion and the affairs of government. In writing the Constitution (of which Madison was the prime architect), they looked to Holland because of its respect of all religious sects and lack of an established religion:

http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders ... ons66.html

Benjamin Franklin and John Adams were also impressed with the government of Holland.

The source they most often quoted was the Bible, accounting for 34% of all citations.
Assuming this study has merit, the figure is only 34%; not sufficient enough to justify, in my mind, that the founding fathers favored a Christian state. More importantly, though, one can make mention of the Bible as a philosophical document without then supporting the creation of a religious state. This is no smoking gun, as you would have us think.

This is exactly what two professors did. Donald Lutz and Charles Hyneman reviewed an estimated 15,000 items with explicit political content printed between 1760 and 1805 and from these items they identified 3,154 references to other sources.
Who were the authors of this political material? This is inconclusive evidence.

The source they most often quoted was the Bible, accounting for 34% of all citations. Sixty percent of all quotes came from men who used the Bible to form their conclusions. That means that 94% of all quotes by the founding fathers were based on the Bible.
Who are 'they,' and where are these quotes and references? There is no way that 94% of all quotes regarding the political climate preceding, and subesquent to, the revolution and writing of the Constitution have their basis in the Bible.

This has to be the most inept study I have ever heard of.

The founding fathers took this scripture and made three major branches in our government: judicial, legislative, and executive.
No, the Founding Fathers looked to governments like those of ancient Sparta and Rome. Read up on them, please.

The simple principle of checks and balances came from the Bible to protect people from tyranny.
Again, I direct you to Sparta and Rome. The Bible says nothing of the preferred methods of government organization. This is merely a weak attempt at attributing the three branches of government to Christian theology.

Congress has passed laws that it is illegal to murder and steal, which is the legislation of morality. These standards of morality are found in the Bible. Should we remove them from law because the church should be separated from the state?
These laws are found in many different non-Christian societies. Just because the U.S. government wrote a law against murder, does not mean that it was because of the Bible. This logic is so reaching and preposterous that it is truly laughable. And what is more, it denies that people have common sense enough to write laws prohibiting murder or theft.

One can be moral and not be Christian. One can be moral and not be religious. They are not mutually exclusive. Any attempts to convince people otherwise is disingenuous and flat-out false.

Our founding fathers who formed the government also formed the educational system of the day. John Witherspoon did not attend the Constitutional Convention although he was President of New Jersey College in 1768 (known as Princeton since 1896) and a signer of the Declaration of Independence. His influence on the Constitution was far ranging in that he taught nine of fifty-five original delegates.
9 of the 55 delegates is considered far-ranging. Madison is the principle architect of the Constitution, and was opposed to a nation where religion and politics were inseparable.

http://www.members.tripod.com/candst/tn ... morial.htm

What price have we paid by removing this simple acknowledgment of God's protecting hand in our lives? Birth rates for unwed girls from 15-19; sexually transmitted diseases among 10-14 year olds; pre-marital sex increased; violent crime; adolescent homicide have all gone up considerably from 1961 to the 1990's -- even after taking into account population growth. The Bible, before 1961, was used extensively in curriculum. After the Bible was removed, scholastic aptitude test scores dropped considerably.
Correlation does not equal causality, my friend. You cannot logically prove that the rise in any of the aforementioned issues is directly attributable to Bible not being allowed in private schools.

Many people I have met came from private religious schools, and they are just as disfunctional as the rest of humanity.

They believe that Man has the potential to be good in and of himself. All of this of course is in direct conflict with not only the teachings of the Bible but even the lessons of history.
Man can be atrocious, violent or immoral whether he is religious or not. We have seen this all throughout history, and even in the Bible.

And man can be virtuous, righteous and good whether he is religious or not. You can raise a child to be moral without the influence of religion. We see it all the time.

I really can't believe this still comes up.

If the US was founded on Christianity, then OBVIOUSLY the constitution would make reference to God, and to Jesus. Specifically Jesus.

I don't understand how people say that schools teach atheism. do you say this because schools tell people to think for themselves, and ask questions? or do you say this because they don't straight up teach Christianity? If they taught Christianity, you would get EVERY parent calling and complaining. Why? Well my son is a SDA, My son is a baptist, My son is a Jehovahs witness, My son is Catholic, My son is protestant, My son doesn't follow the trinity, My daughter is a YEC, My son is muslim, My daughter believes some parts are facts, and others are metaphors and allusions.

If the US was trying to force the teaching of atheism, then they would not allow private schools, and they wouldn't say that those students have received an education. Those students would be marked as not completing highschool, middleschool, or elementary school, they would be basically barred from government offices because of a lack of education, etc.

BTW, I did notice the post about having to swear an oath to God to become a politician or something, I actually still believe a few of the southern states have laws like this that require a belief in a higher power to hold office.

peace4all said:
I really can't believe this still comes up.

If the US was founded on Christianity, then OBVIOUSLY the constitution would make reference to God, and to Jesus. Specifically Jesus.

I don't understand how people say that schools teach atheism. do you say this because schools tell people to think for themselves, and ask questions? or do you say this because they don't straight up teach Christianity? If they taught Christianity, you would get EVERY parent calling and complaining. Why? Well my son is a SDA, My son is a baptist, My son is a Jehovahs witness, My son is Catholic, My son is protestant, My son doesn't follow the trinity, My daughter is a YEC, My son is muslim, My daughter believes some parts are facts, and others are metaphors and allusions.

If the US was trying to force the teaching of atheism, then they would not allow private schools, and they wouldn't say that those students have received an education. Those students would be marked as not completing highschool, middleschool, or elementary school, they would be basically barred from government offices because of a lack of education, etc.

BTW, I did notice the post about having to swear an oath to God to become a politician or something, I actually still believe a few of the southern states have laws like this that require a belief in a higher power to hold office.

What influence did Christianity have in the history of public education in America? How many universities were established as Christian Universities?

peace4all' you and your twin brother Quath' have been around for thousands of years, you both know that this country was founded on Christian principles. Hey it looks like you 2 have seen the Holy Ghost.

sure, there were many established Christian, and also that wern't established Christian.until the 50's "under God" wasn't said every day by every child though. But what does that prove?

Are we more, or less education since the real introduction of public schools in the early 1920's?

btw, Lewis, I do admire your Charisma

lemmingnm8.jpg

te he he

Solo said:
As are your views of Almighty God and his creation, so too are your views on the founding of this great land that God has blessed, the United States of America. It is obvious to me that your blinders remain on. Good day.
So you have nothing to say of my information, just a slight character attack?

How do you know if you have blinded yourself? Do you entertain the possibility that you could be wrong?

Lewis W said:
peace4all' you and your twin brother Quath' have been around for thousands of years,
I am the cute one.

you both know that this country was founded on Christian principles.
Heh. Is this some bizarro world where Deist = Christian; not dedicating the Constitution to God means they endorsed God; and not being able to specify the Christian principles means there are some Christian principles?

Quath said:
Solo said:
As are your views of Almighty God and his creation, so too are your views on the founding of this great land that God has blessed, the United States of America. It is obvious to me that your blinders remain on. Good day.
So you have nothing to say of my information, just a slight character attack?

How do you know if you have blinded yourself? Do you entertain the possibility that you could be wrong?

I didn't attack your character. I only know that you reject Jesus Christ and the plan of God almighty. That my friend is a character flaw that we all have had at one time or another until we became believers in the one and only Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

If I am wrong, then God almighty is wrong, and I'll be in good company. :wink:

Solo said:
This sounds like you are saying that you know that God says this is a Christian Nation. Is that what you are saying or are you talking in more general terms?

Quath said:
Solo said:
This sounds like you are saying that you know that God says this is a Christian Nation. Is that what you are saying or are you talking in more general terms?
God founded all that is, and I agree with all that he has done, is doing, and will do. No other nation was founded as was the United States of America, and it was founded upon Christian precepts and laws.

Quath said:
Solo said:
God founded all that is
Including Islam?
and it was founded upon Christian precepts and laws.
Can you name any of these that are not in every other culture out there?
God allowed Islam to be founded.

5 Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned: 6 From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling; 7 Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm. 8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully; 9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, 10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine; 11 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust. 1 Timothy 1:5-11

Solo said:
It is interesting that God allows for people to make up false things about him as a holy book and God would not try to correct it. I guess a deeper question is did God just allow for this holy book to have lies or does he allow for other holy books to have lies? But I guess that is getting off the subject.

5 Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned: 6 From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling; 7 Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm. 8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully; 9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, 10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine; 11 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust. 1 Timothy 1:5-11
Is this a Christian principle you were talking about? It sounds like it is just "we make laws to govern the wicked." However, that is what is done with all laws across all the lands. I wouldn't say that this is just a Christian principle.

Quath said:
Solo said:
It is interesting that God allows for people to make up false things about him as a holy book and God would not try to correct it. I guess a deeper question is did God just allow for this holy book to have lies or does he allow for other holy books to have lies? But I guess that is getting off the subject.

Is this a Christian principle you were talking about? It sounds like it is just "we make laws to govern the wicked." However, that is what is done with all laws across all the lands. I wouldn't say that this is just a Christian principle.
One day you will know the truth. Hopefully you will come to the light and know the truth before Jesus Christ returns.

17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. 21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God. John 3:17-21

Not Deists

Deists are those who believe God created everything then walked away and left us to run things ... Thomas Jefferson wasn't a deist, neither were our founding fathers. These men were Christians.

Here's a wonderful quote of Thomas Jefferson's taken from a little book titled, One Nation Under God.

The reason that Christianity is the best friend of government is because Christianity is the only religion that changes the heart. Thomas Jefferson.

Doesn't sound like a deist to me.

Re: Not Deists

NellahToo said:
Deists are those who believe God created everything then walked away and left us to run things ... Thomas Jefferson wasn't a deist, neither were our founding fathers. These men were Christians.
From Wikipedia:

On matters of religion, Jefferson in 1800 was accused by his political opponents of being an atheist and enemy of religion. But Jefferson wrote at length on religion and most of his biographers agree he was a deist, a common position held by European intellectuals in the late 18th century. As Avery Cardinal Dulles, a leading Roman Catholic theologian reports, "In his college years at William and Mary he [Jefferson] came to admire Francis Bacon, Isaac Newton, and John Locke as three great paragons of wisdom. Under the influence of several professors he converted to the deist philosophy."

Here's a wonderful quote of Thomas Jefferson's taken from a little book titled, One Nation Under God.

The reason that Christianity is the best friend of government is because Christianity is the only religion that changes the heart. Thomas Jefferson.

Doesn't sound like a deist to me.
I haven't heard that quote before. It could just be one of his speeches he made to Christians to inspire them. I find it more informative to see what he said in his writings to his friend like

The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as his father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter.
-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823

Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear.
--Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Peter Carr, August 10, 1787

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.
--Thomas Jefferson, letter to Horatio G. Spafford, March 17, 1814

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back