Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Apollyon

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

for_his_glory

Fight the good fight of faith
2024 Supporter
I present this in how I understand who this angel Apollyon is according to scripture. We have always been taught this is a fallen angel that Satan uses to destroy God's own, but the more I have studied this it seems this is an angel that God uses as a destroyer that causes destruction brought upon those who refuse to repent and turn back to God.

I ask that we keep this civil as many of us may not agree with each other and a subject like this can bring about division and heavy debate that can cause ugly heads to arise. We are all still learning. I am not saying I am right in my understanding, but want to see what and how others believe. I insist that scripture be given to support your understandings. Thank you.

Rev 9:1 And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.
Rev 9:2 And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit.
Rev 9:3 And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power.
Rev 9:4 And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads.
Rev 9:5 And to them it was given that they should not kill them, but that they should be tormented five months: and their torment was as the torment of a scorpion, when he striketh a man.
Rev 9:6 And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them.
Rev 9:7 And the shapes of the locusts were like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads were as it were crowns like gold, and their faces were as the faces of men.
Rev 9:8 And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as the teeth of lions.
Rev 9:9 And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings was as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle.
Rev 9:10 And they had tails like unto scorpions, and there were stings in their tails: and their power was to hurt men five months.
Rev 9:11 And they had a king over them, which is the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath his name Apollyon.

The name Apollyon is only found once by name in Rev 9:11. If you notice in Rev 9:1 John is given the vision of a star that has fallen from heaven unto the earth and was given the key to the bottomless pit. Angels in scripture are often called stars in heaven, Job 38:7; Rev 1:16, 20; 2:1; 3:1; 12:1.

Apollyon/Abaddon is a Hebrew and Greek word which means destruction/destroyer as we see God used this angel in Exodus 12:23; 1 Chronicles 21:15-18; 1 Corinthians 10:10; Hebrews 11:28; Rev 9:11.

The angel who is called Apollyon/Abaddon in Rev 9:11 was sent by God for His purpose to have this angel open the pit and rule over these locust as they were commanded not to kill any man, but to only torment them to where they would want to die, but could not. This angel according to Rev 9:11 was never previously bound/imprisoned in the pit, but was the angel of the bottomless pit. Many think that since the name means destroyer in the Hebrew that this is an evil angel that Satan uses in Rev 9 at the 5th trumpet. If this was an evil angel why would Satan use him to torment those who are already his own who refuse to repent and turn back to God?

This is not the beast of out of the sea or out from the earth in Rev 13. What is being restrained for now is the mystery of who the son of perdition is who is already working iniquity in the world, but many are yet blinded to who it is that is causing a falling away from truth, 2 Thessalonians 2:1-12.

Alot of things I understand and some things I can get an idea ,but these metal locusts and their king is one of those things I have not the slightest idea what,where or who.

Alot of things I understand and some things I can get an idea ,but these metal locusts and their king is one of those things I have not the slightest idea what,where or who.
That would have to be a different topic as this thread is about who Apollyon is.

That would have to be a different topic as this thread is about who Apollyon is.

Excuse me for reading what you quoted and replying to the topic about the quote.Appolyon is the king of the locusts in the text you quoted.

Rev 9:3 And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power.
Rev 9:4 And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads.
Rev 9:5 And to them it was given that they should not kill them, but that they should be tormented five months: and their torment was as the torment of a scorpion, when he striketh a man.
Rev 9:6 And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them.
Rev 9:7 And the shapes of the locusts were like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads were as it were crowns like gold, and their faces were as the faces of men.
Rev 9:8 And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as the teeth of lions.
Rev 9:9 And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings was as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle.
Rev 9:10 And they had tails like unto scorpions, and there were stings in their tails: and their power was to hurt men five months.
Rev 9:11 And they had a king over them, which is the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath his name Apollyon.

Excuse me for reading what you quoted and replying to the topic about the quote.Appolyon is the king of the locusts in the text you quoted.

I used Rev 9:3-11 as I like to use the full context, especially leading up to verse 11, as the only place the word Apollyon is written. It's more about who Apollyon is as being king over the locust as either being used of God or a fallen angel used of Satan as many see this angel as being evil.

I used Rev 9:3-11 as I like to use the full context, especially leading up to verse 11, as the only place the word Apollyon is written. It's more about who Apollyon is as being king over the locust as either being used of God or a fallen angel used of Satan as many see this angel as being evil.
Well I was using as it is in the context of scripture and not a personal interpretation.

Well I was using as it is in the context of scripture and not a personal interpretation.
I'm done talking to you on this subject as you are being very rude. These are discussions with various understandings to share with each other. Rudeness is not accepted.

I did not read any rudeness in shiloh's communication.

God uses both angels and the godless to achieve His ends (e.g. "All things work together..."). God used Nebuchadnezzar to correct Israel, even as Nebuchadnezzar used the temple treasures to ridicule God...bringing about the original writing on the wall and such (Daniel 5). Similarly, while Abaddon/Apollyon is clearly a destroyer, I cannot clearly discern whether this is an angel of God or a fallen angel. Nonetheless, God does clearly use this angel in a certain way. Perhaps we don't even need to know with whom this angel is. Only the capacity in which he is being used by God.

Do we need a complete understanding of the locusts and their King ? While it would be nice to know for sure it is not something that should upset us if we don't know . My opinion :) .

Nonetheless, God does clearly use this angel in a certain way. Perhaps we don't even need to know with whom this angel is. Only the capacity in which he is being used by God.
Yes , this is the important part , the mission of the angel of the bottomless pit .

I present this in how I understand who this angel Apollyon is according to scripture. We have always been taught this is a fallen angel that Satan uses to destroy God's own, but the more I have studied this it seems this is an angel that God uses as a destroyer that causes destruction brought upon those who refuse to repent and turn back to God.
Lot of things to consider about the angel Apollyon .
Why do you think the locusts needed a King over them ?

I ask that we keep this civil as many of us may not agree with each other and a subject like this can bring about division and heavy debate that can cause ugly heads to arise. We are all still learning. I am not saying I am right in my understanding, but want to see what and how others believe. I insist that scripture be given to support your understandings. Thank you.

Rev 9:1 And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.
Rev 9:2 And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit.

The name Apollyon is only found once by name in Rev 9:11. If you notice in Rev 9:1 John is given the vision of a star that has fallen from heaven unto the earth and was given the key to the bottomless pit. Angels in scripture are often called stars in heaven, Job 38:7; Rev 1:16, 20; 2:1; 3:1; 12:1.

Apollyon/Abaddon is a Hebrew and Greek word which means destruction/destroyer as we see God used this angel in Exodus 12:23; 1 Chronicles 21:15-18; 1 Corinthians 10:10; Hebrews 11:28; Rev 9:11.

The angel who is called Apollyon/Abaddon in Rev 9:11 was sent by God for His purpose to have this angel open the pit and rule over these locust as they were commanded not to kill any man, but to only torment them to where they would want to die, but could not. This angel according to Rev 9:11 was never previously bound/imprisoned in the pit, but was the angel of the bottomless pit. Many think that since the name means destroyer in the Hebrew that this is an evil angel that Satan uses in Rev 9 at the 5th trumpet. If this was an evil angel why would Satan use him to torment those who are already his own who refuse to repent and turn back to God?

This is not the beast of out of the sea or out from the earth in Rev 13. What is being restrained for now is the mystery of who the son of perdition is who is already working iniquity in the world, but many are yet blinded to who it is that is causing a falling away from truth, 2 Thessalonians 2:1-12.
This is the pestilence of the fifth vial. They can spend much time but focus on why, I tell my children to focus on the time and note the length.

Revelation 16

10 And the fifth angel poured out his vial upon the seat of the beast; and his kingdom was full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues for pain,
11 And blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and repented not of their deeds.

Ezekiel speaks of this time.

Ezekiel 38

22 And I will plead against him with pestilence and with blood; and I will rain upon him, and upon his bands, and upon the many people that are with him, an overflowing rain, and great hailstones, fire, and brimstone.
23 Thus will I magnify myself, and sanctify myself; and I will be known in the eyes of many nations, and they shall know that I am the Lord.

The Lord will plead with pestilence in hopes they will repent.

I did not read any rudeness in shiloh's communication.

God uses both angels and the godless to achieve His ends (e.g. "All things work together..."). God used Nebuchadnezzar to correct Israel, even as Nebuchadnezzar used the temple treasures to ridicule God...bringing about the original writing on the wall and such (Daniel 5). Similarly, while Abaddon/Apollyon is clearly a destroyer, I cannot clearly discern whether this is an angel of God or a fallen angel. Nonetheless, God does clearly use this angel in a certain way. Perhaps we don't even need to know with whom this angel is. Only the capacity in which he is being used by God.
Thank you for your input. Whether good or evil it's all in God's timing and purpose.

Lot of things to consider about the angel Apollyon .
Why do you think the locusts needed a King over them ?
When I read the scripture on this it seems to me that using the word king is important to keep the locust as ruling over them to keep them online with God's purpose for using them.

This is the pestilence of the fifth vial. They can spend much time but focus on why, I tell my children to focus on the time and note the length.

Revelation 16

10 And the fifth angel poured out his vial upon the seat of the beast; and his kingdom was full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues for pain,
11 And blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and repented not of their deeds.

Ezekiel speaks of this time.

Ezekiel 38

22 And I will plead against him with pestilence and with blood; and I will rain upon him, and upon his bands, and upon the many people that are with him, an overflowing rain, and great hailstones, fire, and brimstone.
23 Thus will I magnify myself, and sanctify myself; and I will be known in the eyes of many nations, and they shall know that I am the Lord.

The Lord will plead with pestilence in hopes they will repent.
It's all about God's timing and what comes to those who refuse to repent. Many would rather curse God in their afflictions brought upon them instead of understanding why they go through horrific things and the need to repent and turn back to Him. God brings these things in hope they will turn back to Him.

It's all about God's timing and what comes to those who refuse to repent. Many would rather curse God in their afflictions brought upon them instead of understanding why they go through horrific things and the need to repent and turn back to Him. God brings these things in hope they will turn back to Him.
Agree, I have learn how Jesus fights in righteousness. Satan and his angels starts this war as always and the Christian cry out to God from, what I call the dead sea, God gives them white robes and tells them to wait a little season, the fifth seal. Instead of destroying them he send the pestilences, the fifth trumpet. The result is the fifth vial. Praying all comes to Christ.

Agree, I have learn how Jesus fights in righteousness. Satan and his angels starts this war as always and the Christian cry out to God from, what I call the dead sea, God gives them white robes and tells them to wait a little season, the fifth seal. Instead of destroying them he send the pestilences, the fifth trumpet. The result is the fifth vial. Praying all comes to Christ.
I believe the seven vials/bowl judgements in Rev 16:1-21 are poured out on those who have taken the mark of the beast as they never repented and blasphemed God. The seven vials are judgements against those who refuse to repent as it is to late for them. Once one takes the mark of this beast there is no turning back to God.

I believe the seven vials/bowl judgements in Rev 16:1-21 are poured out on those who have taken the mark of the beast as they never repented and blasphemed God. The seven vials are judgements against those who refuse to repent as it is to late for them. Once one takes the mark of this beast there is no turning back to God.
Yeah, I know it is written, I would hope (they) are the leaders of them army's that don't repent meaning if possible some may. I see Seals as a sum of earths problems, Trumpets warning to the saints, Vials like you say.

When I read the scripture on this it seems to me that using the word king is important to keep the locust as ruling over them to keep them online with God's purpose for using them.
The "king" over them does come from the bottomless pit, and thus would indicate an evil, or fallen angel. I believe the fact that the locusts have a king over them indicates rank ....as in fallen angels vs nephilim/demons.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back