Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Apple iPad? What is your thoughts?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

jsnbrown

2w5offd.jpg

So what are your thoughts on this amazing gadget?

Just a huge Ipod Touch or is it more?

IMHO just the former, at least in this first generation of the device. I don't really see anything that it can do which other devices aren't already better at, and massive drawbacks.

The integration with publishing houses is a nice feature, but i don't quite see this becoming a huge market. ePublishing of magazines and newspapers has been tried for more than a decade, yet calling it a niche market for anything but academic literature would be an euphemism.

A fully integrated environment which makes it easier to download magazines and newspapers won't make such a market viable on a large scale, IMHO...for if that were so, then online publishing already would hold a significant foothold at least among the tech savvy people who aren't scared away by having to download something (usually PDF) and then to view it with a seperate program.

The aforementioned drawbacks:
1. Lousy screen resolution.
Keep in mind, this thing is in direct competition with netbooks, so netbooks set the standard here. For a netbook in this price category 1366 x 768 is the standard, and this can play 720p videos without downscaling. The iPad only offers 1024 x 768.

2. No multitasking.
For a phone or music player this may be acceptable, but when i use something for comfy webbrowsing at the couch, then i want it to be able to run a mp3 player in the background, or to play a webradio. This alone already removes the iPad from the list of devices that i'd consider for mobile web browsing for me.

3. Low storage capacity.
It's supposed to play (downscaled!) HD videos, yet it only comes with 16 to 64 GB of storage. And streaming HD video won't really be an option on a large scale, at least not for quite a while.
Besides, the price policy regarding memory upgrades is just a huge rip off. For that reason alone i'd boycott it.

4. Lousy connectivity to other devices.

5. No Adobe Flash.
At least not directly integrated into the main browser.

I like your review!

If I was to say the iPad was meant to be a Kindle killer/ ebook reader first and foremost and just had tons of amazing additions..

What would you say?

You would be paying 200+ dollars more for a more advanced web browser, music, video, and game playing and some basic key features macs have.

So, instead of comparing it to a netbook, compare it to a kindle or nook. Would your review be the same?

I mean to possibly get if (If I can save up enough) as I do not have an iPod or an iPhone and would like the apps. I have also been looking into an eReader and this just popped out at the right time..

That would depend on where the actual priorities are.

As a mobile eBook reader both the iPad and the kindle beat netbooks, mostly because of the vertial screen orientation, which allows a rather natural way to display a page. Other small mobile devices (netbooks) suffer from having to scroll on a page due to the horizontal screen layout. This only changes when we reach a resolution of about 1680*1050, for then the horizontal layout can simply be used to display two vertial pages next to each other. Even then many people don't find it comfortable to read on a laptop though, as on a screen of 15" this results in very small pixels. It becomes very much viable on a large 22" screen of a desktop computer though.

Anyway, when it comes to pure eBook reading, i think the kindle is superior. That's mostly due to its much longer battery life (it only consumes energy when the screen content actually changes), and because it doesn't need a background lighting. Many people do find it to be very stressing for their eyes to spend a long time reading stuff on a LCD screen due to the background lighting.

So it basically depends on whether eBook reading is the main purpose or the secondary feature, as well as the question if one would consider it acceptable to use two different devices for eBook reading and webbrowsing.

nice again!

I think because my focus for it is for eBook reading, web-browsing, and apps it would be perfect for me. I will also use it for teaching. Laptops are cumbersome and something like a tablet would be amazing to read my lesson outlines from.

I will need to buy additional addons for projector hook up but I think it would be worth it in the long run. Maybe. :)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back