Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Here is an overview and a review taken from Kidology.com a christian website for teachers of kids in Christ...

[attachment=0:3684bygj]ZONE_AVATAR.jpg[/attachment:3684bygj]

First of all this movie was visually stunning. The cinematic eye candy is just amazing and all the stories that are wrapped up into this one film seem to all intertwine into one cohesive story line. Even though this movie is 2 hours and 30 minutes long, the spectacular world portrayed is of such imagination it doesn’t really seem like it is that long. Our main character “Jake Sully†is a very reluctant hero who must show a lot of determination in order to save the native population called the “Na’vi†that he falls in love with on the alien planet of Pandora.

Concerns

At the beginning of the movie there is a lot of cursing but this seems to fade away quite a bit once the plot is all set-up and the story is in full swing, but it never totally goes away. There is a pretty intense scene of sensuality between the two main characters (Netyri and Jake Sully) in our story. Plus all the Na’vi woman and men are pretty scantly clad. There are a lot of pretty intense emotional scenes and some pretty extreme sequences of violence. There are a lot of religious undertones of the Na’vi of Pandora worshiping nature. Their god is a tree called Ewpha.

My Opinion for what it is worth...

Well... what's new? Nothing under the sun it seems. Worshiping nature is really an old satanic ploy. But actually the close to nudity thing, and the fact that the creators went to such lengths to make the avatars like those in the popular gaming industry become engaged physically is much more harmful for those who are INTO such things... :yes

A ton of men and women (Christian guys and gals~ both, under age and old men) play these "games" and find themselves engrossed in fantasy relationships. SO sad... :help

This movie encourages the fornicating and child abuse going on there, and does NOTHING to promote Christ. God help us.

sheshisown~

Fornication and Child abuse?

There was no implication of child abuse in this movie at all. The fornication part makes no sense either, since the main scensual scene happens after the 2 main characters pledge a life long bond also the scene is only a minute long and they don't go any farther then making out. Its a touching scene and is tastefully executed to further the story.

I saw the movie last night. It was amazing.

Ok, I saw the movie about an hour ago...and it was the best movie I have ever seen. Effects, plot, everything was amazing.

There was hardly any cursing that I heard, and I disagree with you Bonnie on the sexuality part (sorry). I stumble a lot in this area but did not at all in this movie. There is context to what goes on in that "intimate scene" but it doesn't show much at all, and is only suggested. Nothing graphic, both in the violence and the sexuality.

While the movie doesn't have a direct Christian message to it, it does have a good message.

I'm in agreement with the Original Poster. This movie is so filled with so muchfornication and child abuse that when I got home, I started hitting on women all over the place, and started abusing little children! This movie is the devils tool!

Also, all of the AVATARs are covered in blue. What else is covered in blue? Smurfs! Wow, what a comparison! The smurfs are some of the most notorious communists recruiters in the cartoon world! Look what I found on this website about the television show! "Each Smurf had his own specific job and was not allowed to try his hand at any other Smurf's assigned task. " "The evil antagonist of the Smurfs was the ultimate capitalist, terrorizing the peaceful good little communist Smurf community. It all starts to fit together doesn't it? " "Gargamel was a capitalist. " The creators do not obviously just watch the smurfs, but are so influenced by them that they paint all of their characters blue, just like the Smurfs! Clearly no christian would associate theirselves with such an evil system!

http://www.iamlost.com/features/smurfs/commies.shtml

My friend, I tell you the truth. Just look at the part of the world's hatred in the book of James! If I get ridiculed for this, then I am serving the lord, no matter how bizarre my point! Any Christian would be foolish to watch this movie! Also, any Christian would check their sources to skip unreliable sources like this one!

Twisted Hawk said:
I'm in agreement with the Original Poster. This movie is so filled with so muchfornication and child abuse that when I got home, I started hitting on women all over the place, and started abusing little children! This movie is the devils tool!

Also, all of the AVATARs are covered in blue. What else is covered in blue? Smurfs! Wow, what a comparison! The smurfs are some of the most notorious communists recruiters in the cartoon world! Look what I found on this website about the television show! "Each Smurf had his own specific job and was not allowed to try his hand at any other Smurf's assigned task. " "The evil antagonist of the Smurfs was the ultimate capitalist, terrorizing the peaceful good little communist Smurf community. It all starts to fit together doesn't it? " "Gargamel was a capitalist. " The creators do not obviously just watch the smurfs, but are so influenced by them that they paint all of their characters blue, just like the Smurfs! Clearly no christian would associate theirselves with such an evil system!

http://www.iamlost.com/features/smurfs/commies.shtml

My friend, I tell you the truth. Just look at the part of the world's hatred in the book of James! If I get ridiculed for this, then I am serving the lord, no matter how bizarre my point! Any Christian would be foolish to watch this movie! Also, any Christian would check their sources to skip unreliable sources like this one!
I really hope you were being sarcastic.

And where are people getting this child abuse from?

Twisted Hawk said:
Nick_29":3cpaiba0] I really hope you were being sarcastic. And where are people getting this child abuse from?[/quote] Didn't you read what I wrote? said:
Twisted Hawk said:
Also, any Christian would check their sources to skip unreliable sources like this one!
[/quote:3cpaiba0]
So you were being sarcastic?

Do you know how people are getting the idea of child abuse from? I have yet to see it. :confused

Nick_29 said:
Do you know how people are getting the idea of child abuse from? I have yet to see it. :confused

I have no clue. In fact, I don't even really remember seeing that many Children in the movie at all. It's just right wing stuff where people make bizarre points about anything.

Twisted Hawk said:
[quote="Nick_29":3m0sxlbt]

I have no clue. In fact, I don't even really remember seeing that many Children in the movie at all. It's just right wing stuff where people make bizarre points about anything.[/quote:3m0sxlbt]
It's seeming that way for this one. I really have no clue what they're going on about. :confused

Nick_29 said:
It's seeming that way for this one. I really have no clue what they're going on about. :confused

Before I watched this movie, I use to think that if you saw one movie that had a different approach to an idea or something, then it will turn you into an evil person.

After watching this and seeing the different views on this movie, I learned I was wrong. They pointed out the messages in there, but I didn't even give one thought to them. Also, they do have enviromental spiritualism, but that didn't turn me into a worshipper of another entity. Why can't people leave things like this a rest? Give me proof of effects on people.

Now, if you go against a movie that hails fornication, I will fully support you. That includes the 40 year old Virgin, Superbad, Knocked Up, Fired Up, Old School, and a wide variety of movies out there. For me, this is the biggest issue I have with any movie. I'm maintaining Chastity, so why do I need movies that go against that? Get rid of them!

Twisted Hawk said:
[quote="Nick_29":1jdc89hq]It's seeming that way for this one. I really have no clue what they're going on about. :confused

Before I watched this movie, I use to think that if you saw one movie that had a different approach to an idea or something, then it will turn you into an evil person.

After watching this and seeing the different views on this movie, I learned I was wrong. They pointed out the messages in there, but I didn't even give one thought to them. Also, they do have enviromental spiritualism, but that didn't turn me into a worshipper of another entity. Why can't people leave things like this a rest? Give me proof of effects on people.

Now, if you go against a movie that hails fornication, I will fully support you. That includes the 40 year old Virgin, Superbad, Knocked Up, Fired Up, Old School, and a wide variety of movies out there. For me, this is the biggest issue I have with any movie. I'm maintaining Chastity, so why do I need movies that go against that? Get rid of them![/quote:1jdc89hq]
Good and interesting point. I agree.

Child abuse? Where? Scantily clad indigenous people? If these are reasons you are giving for a "Christian" to not see this movie, then "Christians" better not be going to any of the indigenous tribes in Africa where the people walk around with practically no clothing on and children are dying from malnourishment. Too much "nudity" and "child abuse" going on for a "pure Christian's" eyes to see.

Get real.

Well... I maintain my stance. . . Along with the Kidology Sunday School teachers website~ who are warning the children and parents about its influences.

Though the people who are reponding to my thread, do not agree with me. I am not interested in argument. Although I have to wonder if there are any (who do not play the more graphic games) who also agree with these sentiments?

Perhaps this is a discernment that requires a more sensitive spirit? :heart People will often poo-poo any objection to their favorite pastimes. Is it possible that what is viewed as "mild because it lacks graphic explotation" in a movie is so because the graphics normally watched are more vivid? We can be desensitized ~even as Christians~ when we do not guard our eyes... :verysad

Is worshipping the creation rather than the Creator ~ "environmental spirituality"? Are those who are decieved in this world~ without Christ~ and without hope in this world~ not effected by Satans lies in this film? As Christians, are we only to consider ourselves when we object to the influences in this world which effect us all?

Certainly, as Christians we know, that every work of God is first done within our hearts and then later manifests its influence in our outer actions. How then can we ask for proof of the influence of this movie, so soon? Give it time, and see for your self is all I can say... and I will too. If I am wrong~ that would be good... :nod

sheshisown~

sheshisown said:
Well... I maintain my stance. . . Along with the Kidology Sunday School teachers website~ who are warning the children and parents about its influences.

Though the people who are reponding to my thread, do not agree with me. I am not interested in argument. Although I have to wonder if there are any (who do not play the more graphic games) who also agree with these sentiments?

Perhaps this is a discernment that requires a more sensitive spirit? :heart People will often poo-poo any objection to their favorite pastimes. Is it possible that what is viewed as "mild because it lacks graphic explotation" in a movie is so because the graphics normally watched are more vivid? We can be desensitized ~even as Christians~ when we do not guard our eyes... :verysad

Is worshipping the creation rather than the Creator ~ "environmental spirituality"? Are those who are decieved in this world~ without Christ~ and without hope in this world~ not effected by Satans lies in this film? As Christians, are we only to consider ourselves when we object to the influences in this world which effect us all?

Certainly, as Christians we know, that every work of God is first done within our hearts and then later manifests its influence in our outer actions. How then can we ask for proof of the influence of this movie, so soon? Give it time, and see for your self is all I can say... and I will too. If I am wrong~ that would be good... :nod

sheshisown~

It is a movie...nothing more nothing less. It tells a story to entertain us. It is not meant to be absorbed as some sort of educational film on how to worship nature or some other strange concept. Everything in the film is there for one sole purpose...to tell us a story and to entertain.

One could derive whatever meaning from the story they want to if given enough time. Allow me to present an example. One could draw some symbolism from the God free corporation that will do anything for money and the wealth found in the soil of the planet even if it means destroying an indigenous culture that embraces God and their faith.

Again, it's a story. Nothing more, nothing less. I got to movies to be entertained not to convert to some other way of thinking or to be educated. Personally, I think Christians look quite foolish when we resort to calling out movies as evil or not from God or any other description that condemns certain types of media.

I respect your stance Bonnie and I respect the fact that you will stand by what you believe when lots of others take the opposite stance. I am sorry if I went on the attack, but I stand by my stance as well.

Personally, for me, this movie had a great message which it conveyed, and we would do well to remember it. It reflected the nature of our own world...how it is so corrupt and yes, people will do anything for money, even destroy God's creation, which we should protect, given that we are its protectors and overseers.

I don't believe the movie took a stance on God, or took a stance to show that we should worship nature above God, although there was that 'God' or 'Godess' that they preyed to. The film did, acknoledge some supernatural being, whether it be God or not. The persona of this supernatural being (from my memory) did have some of the characteristics of God.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back