Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Baptists divided over female professors teaching men

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Lewis

DALLAS  A group of Southern Baptists are divided over a seminary's decision to dismiss a female faculty member because officials there believe women should not be allowed to teach men in theology programs.

Sheri Klouda received her doctorate from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary and was hired for a tenure-track position in 2002 teaching Hebrew in the theology school. But in 2004, she was told she would not get tenure and should look for another job, a series of events confirmed by Van McClain, chairman of the Southwestern trustees.

Southwestern is taking the "traditional, confessional and biblical position" that women should not teach men in theology or biblical languages, McClain said. That position is based on a Biblical verse in which the Apostle Paul says, "I permit no woman to teach or have authority over a man."

Klouda's hiring, McClain said, was a "momentary lax of the parameters" of the seminary.

Klouda said she was told her contract would not be renewed because she is a woman. She is now a professor at Taylor University in Indiana.

"I don't think it was right to hire me to do this job, to put me in the position where I, in good faith, assumed that I was working toward tenure, and then suddenly remove me without any cause other than gender," she said.

No women teach theology or biblical languages at Southwestern, McClain said. Women do teach music and other classes at the seminary, he said.

An Oklahoma pastor who has emerged as a vocal critic of the seminary complained that the school treated Klouda unfairly.

"Sheri Klouda is not a pastor, she has not been ordained or licensed, she does not perform ministerial duties. She is a professor, for heaven's sake," Wade Burleson said. "The same institution that conferred her degree and hired her has now removed her for gender. To me, that is a very serious, ethical, moral breach."
http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headlin ... 85266.html

"Sheri Klouda is not a pastor, she has not been ordained or licensed, she does not perform ministerial duties. She is a professor, for heaven's sake," Wade Burleson said. "The same institution that conferred her degree and hired her has now removed her for gender. To me, that is a very serious, ethical, moral breach."
Yeah, that about sums it up.

How many think women shouldn't teach in church? (whether as a pastor or as a sunday school teacher)

dancing queen said:
How many think women shouldn't teach in church? (whether as a pastor or as a sunday school teacher)
Apples and oranges, dq. There are Biblical reasons for not allowing woman to pastor and might I add, it is much to do with historical and cultural reasons as well as Biblical.

About their role as teachers, we have to consider their qualifications. There are some that are more qualified than others and their gifts should not be dismissed. That is what the OP and thread are about.

I do not wish to see this thread go in any other direction. Thanks. :)

Women can do anything in Church except teach men and pastor a church according to what the bible teaches in 1 TIM. end of story.

Lewis W said:
officials there believe women should not be allowed to teach men in theology programs.
I think that if women would keep busy doing what God calls them to do, then they would not have time to do the things God does not annoint them to do.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back