Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

BEWARE OF LEAVEN, EAT UNLEAVENED BREAD AND LIVE

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Bro.Tan

2024 Supporter
The Feast of Unleavened Bread, which was formally introduced to the children of Israel upon their departure from Egypt, was rooted in a message from God going back to the beginning of time. That message, which was given to Adam, is simply “eating the wrong stuff will kill you”. (Here we are speaking about spiritual eating; however, God does have a physical dietary law, which is important as well.) And no we are not talking about eating an apple. We are commanded by God to abstain from leavening and to eat unleavened bread for seven days every spring, at the beginning of God’s year cycle (immediately after the Passover…Exodus 12:13-15). God is not a vain God and he is not in the business of just giving us something to do to pass time. Therefore, we should realize that this observance has great significance, even as it pertains to our salvation. By observing this feast we acknowledge our abstinence from sinful ways (leavening) and show our commitment to true worship (unleavened) of God. We all must reach this crossroad in our life, just as Israel reached it, after leaving Egypt. They immediately ate only unleavened bread (Exodus 12:39) signifying the beginning of their new walk with God.

Notice that this observance came on the heels of Israel’s redemption by the blood of the Passover lamb. Well, Jesus is the Passover lamb and he died on this very day (the Passover…Matthew 26:1,2). Either this was quite a coincidence or God is revealing his perfect plan to us. After we come under the blood of Jesus, by baptism, we must be committed to walking with him in truth (unleavened bread), leaving behind all falsehood (leavening). Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us: Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth” (I Corinthians 5:7,8).

Oh’ what a wonderful God we serve, who after he redeems us, tells us how the redeemed must walk to get life. Praise God! Many people believe that this feast along with God’s other Holy Days have been done away with. Why would God do away with his Perfect plan? Only Satan would promote such teaching, as he did with Adam and Eve after God had given them specific instructions. Many attempt to make this commandment too hard to fulfill, but how hard is it to change the bread you eat for one week? If we can buy a tree, haul it home, set it up and decorate it, which God never commanded, surely we can keep this feast, which he did command.

The Apostle Paul and other Apostles didn’t do away with the Lord’s feasts. To the contrary, they knew the importance of these days and continued to observe them, even after Jesus was resurrected. Paul said, “...I must by all means keep this feast...” (Acts 18:21) and it is also written, “And we sailed away from Philippi after the days of Unleavened Bread...” (Acts 20: 6). Obviously Paul understood what a lot of people don’t understand today, and that is The Feast of Unleavened Bread is to be observed “by an ordinance forever” (Exodus 12:17). This observance is so important to God; he issued it with the death penalty if ignored. “...for whosoever eateth leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day, that soul shall be cut off from Israel” (Exodus 12:15).

Many people who choose to ignore this feast should reexamine their teaching. Unfortunately, the majority of people (many are called but few are chosen) have not learned that there is only one true way to worship God. We leave you with the same warning Jesus gave to his Apostles, “...Take heed and beware of the leaven (doctrine) of the Pharisees and Sadducees” (Matthew 16:6, 12). Observing this great feast is a sign that you are worshipping the true God correctly. Praise God! Remember Jesus says in Hebrews 13: 8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Leaven is sin and we know that Paul says in Romans 6: 23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Now take a look at (1John: 1:10) If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. According to bible you can’t be living a sinless life, because if you make such a statement, you just lied.

to be continue....

The Feast of Unleavened Bread, which was formally introduced to the children of Israel upon their departure from Egypt, was rooted in a message from God going back to the beginning of time. That message, which was given to Adam, is simply “eating the wrong stuff will kill you”. (Here we are speaking about spiritual eating; however, God does have a physical dietary law, which is important as well.) And no we are not talking about eating an apple. We are commanded by God to abstain from leavening and to eat unleavened bread for seven days every spring, at the beginning of God’s year cycle (immediately after the Passover…Exodus 12:13-15). God is not a vain God and he is not in the business of just giving us something to do to pass time. Therefore, we should realize that this observance has great significance, even as it pertains to our salvation. By observing this feast we acknowledge our abstinence from sinful ways (leavening) and show our commitment to true worship (unleavened) of God. We all must reach this crossroad in our life, just as Israel reached it, after leaving Egypt. They immediately ate only unleavened bread (Exodus 12:39) signifying the beginning of their new walk with God.

Notice that this observance came on the heels of Israel’s redemption by the blood of the Passover lamb. Well, Jesus is the Passover lamb and he died on this very day (the Passover…Matthew 26:1,2). Either this was quite a coincidence or God is revealing his perfect plan to us. After we come under the blood of Jesus, by baptism, we must be committed to walking with him in truth (unleavened bread), leaving behind all falsehood (leavening). Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us: Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth” (I Corinthians 5:7,8).

Oh’ what a wonderful God we serve, who after he redeems us, tells us how the redeemed must walk to get life. Praise God! Many people believe that this feast along with God’s other Holy Days have been done away with. Why would God do away with his Perfect plan? Only Satan would promote such teaching, as he did with Adam and Eve after God had given them specific instructions. Many attempt to make this commandment too hard to fulfill, but how hard is it to change the bread you eat for one week? If we can buy a tree, haul it home, set it up and decorate it, which God never commanded, surely we can keep this feast, which he did command.

The Apostle Paul and other Apostles didn’t do away with the Lord’s feasts. To the contrary, they knew the importance of these days and continued to observe them, even after Jesus was resurrected. Paul said, “...I must by all means keep this feast...” (Acts 18:21) and it is also written, “And we sailed away from Philippi after the days of Unleavened Bread...” (Acts 20: 6). Obviously Paul understood what a lot of people don’t understand today, and that is The Feast of Unleavened Bread is to be observed “by an ordinance forever” (Exodus 12:17). This observance is so important to God; he issued it with the death penalty if ignored. “...for whosoever eateth leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day, that soul shall be cut off from Israel” (Exodus 12:15).

Many people who choose to ignore this feast should reexamine their teaching. Unfortunately, the majority of people (many are called but few are chosen) have not learned that there is only one true way to worship God. We leave you with the same warning Jesus gave to his Apostles, “...Take heed and beware of the leaven (doctrine) of the Pharisees and Sadducees” (Matthew 16:6, 12). Observing this great feast is a sign that you are worshipping the true God correctly. Praise God! Remember Jesus says in Hebrews 13: 8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.
It is written..."Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man." (Matt 15:17-18)
I'll stick with the NT teachings that have freed us from the Law.
Leaven is sin and we know that Paul says in Romans 6: 23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Now take a look at (1John: 1:10) If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. According to bible you can’t be living a sinless life, because if you make such a statement, you just lied.
John's 1 John 1 verse 8 is directed only at those walking in darkness. (So are verses 6 and 10)
They are the ones who would be lying by saying they have no sin.
But what about those from verse 7 ?
Those folks are walking in the light...which is God: and there is no sin in God.

It is amazing that gluten in leavened bread actually contributes to inflammation, unleavened bread like tortilla, naan and cracker is much better dietary choice for your health!

That message, which was given to Adam, is simply “eating the wrong stuff will kill you
What you are saying, that people should not eat leven bread etc, is spiritually and biblically incorrect.
Leven bread was not forbidden to Israel, it was not forbidden by Jesus, it is not a require ment for holy living that only uneven bread be eaten.

What you are saying, that people should not eat leven bread etc, is spiritually and biblically incorrect.
Leven bread was not forbidden to Israel, it was not forbidden by Jesus, it is not a require ment for holy living that only uneven bread be eaten.
We should resist the temptation of taking extreme views. Unleavened bread is only prescribed for this annual festival of unleavened bread, by no means does it forbid leavened bread. In fact, challah, a braided bread, is a traditional Jewish bread for the celebration of pentecost, and there's also the babka chocolate bread, I bake these every weekend. Just take it moderately, diversify your diet while keep it kosher, don't eat leavened bread everyday, maybe only once a week as I said, and eat unleavened bread or other foods for the rest of the week.

We should resist the temptation of taking extreme views
I agree, and we should also avoid adding commands about how to live that are not found in the bible.
Scripture does not forbid eating leven bread. Bread for centuries was a staple part of people's diet, so much so that Jesus is the bread of life.

I agree, and we should also avoid adding commands about how to live that are not found in the bible.
Scripture does not forbid eating leven bread. Bread for centuries was a staple part of people's diet, so much so that Jesus is the bread of life.
Yes, just eat tortilla for a week, no big deal.

Leaven is sin
Hey Bro.Tan

Your ministry I see is to make everyone live as a Jew. Ok. But isn't leaven ingested through the mouth?

Didn't Jesus pretty plainly say, “There is nothing outside the man which can defile him if it goes into him; but the things which proceed out of the man are what defile the man.”

You should trust what Jesus has told you.

God bless,
Ted

Your ministry I see is to make everyone live as a Jew. Ok. But isn't leaven ingested through the mouth?

Didn't Jesus pretty plainly say, “There is nothing outside the man which can defile him if it goes into him; but the things which proceed out of the man are what defile the man.”

You should trust what Jesus has told you.

God bless,
Ted
Ted,
If you study further you will see your interpretation of the dietary laws are incorrect.
Jesus was clearly talking about unwashed hands, which was a commandment of MEN, not of God.

Mark 7.
2 And when they saw some of his disciples eat bread with defiled, that is to say, with unwashen, hands, they found fault.

3 For the Pharisees, and all the Jews, except they wash their hands oft, eat not, holding the tradition of the elders.

7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

15 There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.

16 If any man have ears to hear, let him hear.

Eating with unwashed hands can't defile a man, but elevating the commandments of men over the commandments of God is what Jesus refers to "but the things that come out of him"

Ted,
If you study further you will see your interpretation of the dietary laws are incorrect.
Jesus was clearly talking about unwashed hands, which was a commandment of MEN, not of God.

Mark 7.
2 And when they saw some of his disciples eat bread with defiled, that is to say, with unwashen, hands, they found fault.

3 For the Pharisees, and all the Jews, except they wash their hands oft, eat not, holding the tradition of the elders.

7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

15 There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.

16 If any man have ears to hear, let him hear.

Eating with unwashed hands can't defile a man, but elevating the commandments of men over the commandments of God is what Jesus refers to "but the things that come out of him"
The same principals apply to both unwashed hands and previously forbidden foods.
God again made all foods clean with His vision to Peter in Acts 10.

Furthermore, Col 2:8 says..."Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ."
Col 2:16-17 add..."Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
17 Which are a shadow of things to come;"
Col 2:20-22 concludes with..."Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,
21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not;
22 Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?"

1 Tim 4:3-5 adds more to the freedoms we have in Christ.

The same principals apply to both unwashed hands and previously forbidden foods.
God again made all foods clean with His vision to Peter in Acts 10.
Acts 10:28 specifically interprets the vision God gave him and it had NOTHING to do with food.
If you interpret it this way you are clearly adding to the text words that are not there.

Acts 10:28
28 And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

Acts 10 isn't about food, it's about jews calling Gentiles unclean.

Acts 11 reaffirms that the vision was about MEN not about food. And as you read you will also realize that they followed the dietary laws because it was sinful to not follow them .

Acts 11: 1-11

And the apostles and brethren that were in Judaea heard that the Gentiles had also received the word of God.

2 And when Peter was come up to Jerusalem, they that were of the circumcision contended with him,

3 Saying, Thou wentest in to men uncircumcised, and didst eat with them.

4 But Peter rehearsed the matter from the beginning, and expounded it by order unto them, saying,

5 I was in the city of Joppa praying: and in a trance I saw a vision, A certain vessel descend, as it had been a great sheet, let down from heaven by four corners; and it came even to me:

6 Upon the which when I had fastened mine eyes, I considered, and saw fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.

7 And I heard a voice saying unto me, Arise, Peter; slay and eat.

8 But I said, Not so, Lord: for nothing common or unclean hath at any time entered into my mouth.

9 But the voice answered me again from heaven, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

10 And this was done three times: and all were drawn up again into heaven.

11 And, behold, immediately there were three men already come unto the house where I was, sent from Caesarea unto me.

Pig, dog, cat, rabbit, crow etc were never considered to be "food"
It would be like you calling feces food. It wouldn't even be discussed as food.

Furthermore, Col 2:8 says..."Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ."

The traditions of men is exactly what acts 10 and 11 is about.

The dietary law is NOT a tradition of men it is a commandment of GOD.

A jew not eating with a Gentile because a Gentile is considered unclean is a tradition of men. It's not in the law.

Putting the traditions of man over the law was what christ and the apostles taught against.

Last edited:
Hi Humblepie

Yeah those hand barbecues where they would chop off the hands of thieves that didn't wash, was what Jesus was referring to. Unfortunately, what he said was that 'nothing', that's NOTHING, that goes into a man makes him defiled.

You'll have to go with what you know, bro.

God bless,
Ted

1 Timmothy 4: 1-7

4 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

6 If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.

7 But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.

Leviticus 11
And the Lord spake unto Moses and to Aaron, saying unto them,

2 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, These are the beasts which ye shall eat among all the beasts that are on the earth.

God gave us Leviticus 11.

All of God’s Word is still for us today and all of it is still true, yet some words of Paul prove to be difficult to understand. Or perhaps you are still not too sure if some of God’s commandments still apply to us today.

One reason you might believe this is because 1 Timothy 4 has you convinced that God’s dietary instructions, found in Leviticus 11, no longer exist because someone has taught you that is what Paul was teaching.

Regardless of where your theology is at this particular moment, you might be surprised to learn how 1 Timothy 4 actually proves that the Lord’s dietary instructions are still every part of God’s Word even now, just as they were when our Messiah taught the Law of Moses as the Word of God in His ministry.

First, before we begin, let’s ask ourselves some questions that we will all have to answer in light of 1 Timothy chapter 4. Does 1 Timothy 4:4 teach that all animals are clean and therefore acceptable for food?

Are those teaching obedience to God's commandments such as Leviticus 11 ‘giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of devils?’ Is that what God’s commandments are?

…is Leviticus 11 a doctrine of the devil?

Would such teaching be speaking lies in hypocrisy? Are the same teaching others to not marry? What things are stated to be consecrated by the Word of God and declared to be food and to be received in thanksgiving? Isn't that the context here? Are God's commandments old wives’ fables? Are God's commandments profane? Is keeping God's commandments in Leviticus 11 no longer Godliness? Is Leviticus 11 no longer good doctrine? Is obeying God departing from the faith?

If we believe that verse is teaching against Leviticus 11, then the resulting consequence must be that anyone stating and teaching that God has not abolished His dietary instructions for His people is one who is also:

1. commanding to abstain from eating meat

2. causing others to depart from the faith

3. speaking lies in hypocrisy

4. promoting doctrines of devils

5. holding on to old wives’ fables

6. holding on to things profane

7. not exercising Godliness

8. searing their conscience with a hot iron

Yeah those hand barbecues where they would chop off the hands of thieves that didn't wash, was what Jesus was referring to.
It was the oral law, the tamud that is referred to, to traditions of men.
The washing of hands and being unclean if you did not wash them before you ate.
The doctrines of man.

So is Leviticus a doctrine of the devil, or is your interpretation a doctrine of men?

Hi Humblepie
So is Leviticus a doctrine of the devil, or is your interpretation a doctrine of men?
No to both. But I understand that the Levitical law was given unto Israel. I'm not an Israelite. If you're interested, I can lay out the plan for which God raised up the nation of Israel from the loins of Abram.

God bless,
Ted

It was the oral law, the tamud that is referred to, to traditions of men.
The washing of hands and being unclean if you did not wash them before you ate.
The doctrines of man.

Better get rid of this all-or-nothing mentality, it's very immature, it distorts your view of the world. Washing your hands before meal is simply a good habit for personal hygiene, and likewise, all the other laws about "cleanness" and "uncleanness" are essentially and primarily public heath regulations, those were well advanced at the time, we shouldn't read them from a religious or moral perspective.

Hi Humblepie

Maybe I can do this with just one quick reference.

And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be on every beast of the earth, on every bird of the air, on all that move on the earth, and on all the fish of the sea. They are given into your hand. Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. I have given you all things, even as the green herbs.

God gave man, after the flood, everything that moves and lives upon the earth as food, just as he had given to Adam all the green herbs. God restricted the food of the Hebrews in order that they not assimilate with the other nations. Even today, for a devout Jew, eating with Gentiles is difficult for them.

In raising up Abram for His service, God gave them quite a few laws and regulations that were intended to separate them from the other nations of the earth. To keep them gathered together as a people. As we read in the beginning of the sons of Israel going into Egypt, Joseph worked it out, by telling his kinsmen to tell Pharaoh that they were shepherds, because the Egyptians hated shepherds. And behold Pharoah established a separate land for them. God did the same thing with them after they were a great nation coming out of Egypt, to keep them separate. You may recall that when the other sons of Israel came to visit Joseph in Egypt we are told that Joseph had to eat separate from the Egyptians. So he took his brothers and they had a big feast in his home away from all the Egyptians. Although this was before the law, it shows why God did it.

So, the last command to a Gentile concerning the food that he could eat would be Noah, and we get to eat everything that moves and has life upon the earth.

God bless,
Ted

But God considers you an israelite.

Exodus 12:49 There shall be one law for the native and for the stranger who sojourns among you.

Leviticus 24:22​

You are to have the same law for the foreigner and the native-born. I am the LORD [YHWH] your God.

Numbers 15:15-16 The community is to have the same rules for you and for the foreigner residing among you; this is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come. You and the foreigner shall be the same before the LORD [YHWH]: The same laws and regulations will apply both to you and to the foreigner residing among you."

Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus [Messiah Yeshua].

Ruth 1:16 But Ruth said, “Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God. Ruth, together with Rahab, the prostitute from Jericho who had aided the 12 spies, not only became a part of Israel but is also listed in the lineage of Yeshua in Matthew chapter 1.

Romans 10:12-13 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

This was not a new concept. It was one that had been around for a very long time. As YHWH stated, “You and the sojourner shall be alike before the Lord [YHWH].” What's being taught in the New Testament is the same as what was taught in the Old Testament.

Deuteronomy 32:45-47 And when Moses had finished speaking all these words to all Israel, he said to them, “Take to heart all the words by which I am warning you today, that you may command them to your children, that they may be careful to do all the words of this law. For it is no empty word for you, but your very life, and by this word you shall live long in the land that you are going over the Jordan to possess.”

THEY ARE NOT JUST IDLE WORDS! Yet, they have become idle words in the eyes of much of the Church today. They are no longer the LIFE of the church (ekklesia) today. The church believer today has tossed them aside EVEN THOUGH they were the very life of CHRIST himself. He is our example, not our excuse. He has grafted us in to follow his perfect example and to walk as a citizen of Heaven, not the world.
If you have given your life to Christ, it is our prayer that you understand that you are part of Israel, and God is calling us today to walk in the ways of His Son—to walk in the eternal covenant. Walking in the law is not your salvation. It's the evidence, or fruit, of your salvation

Better get rid of this all-or-nothing mentality, it's very immature, it distorts your view of the world. Washing your hands before meal is simply a good habit for personal hygiene, and likewise, all the other laws about "cleanness" and "uncleanness" are essentially and primarily public heath regulations, those were well advanced at the time, we shouldn't read them from a religious or moral perspective.
Hi Carry_Your_Name

I'm not sure it's an all or nothing attitude. I would say it's a matter of not understanding God's purposes. The Jew struggled with it also. God even called then on it at one point,

God bless,
Ted

Back