Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Can I call myself a Christian even if I can't get baptized or go to a church due to my parents?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Long story short, my family doesn't want to help me convert until I'm older. Is it okay for me to call myself a Christian anyway even if I can't do Christian things publicly yet? I regularly read my bible and try to read stuff on Christianity, along with other stuff I do in private. I'm planning on getting baptized and going to a church once I can, but for now would this be okay?

Long story short, my family doesn't want to help me convert until I'm older. Is it okay for me to call myself a Christian anyway even if I can't do Christian things publicly yet? I regularly read my bible and try to read stuff on Christianity, along with other stuff I do in private. I'm planning on getting baptized and going to a church once I can, but for now would this be okay?
Being a Christian is not about what you do. Being Christian is about what you believe and in whom you put your faith and trust. The title "Christian" means "follower of Christ" so taking on that title you would be declaring yourself a follower of Jesus.

Shortly after Jesus died and rose again believers were referred to as being of "the Way." The first use of the title "Christians" to define those of "the Way" was recorded in Acts 11:26.

Last edited:
I was going to say about the same as WIP . Being a Christian is about putting complete faith and trust in Jesus, not only for salvation, but in every area of life. It is letting him be Lord (master and king) of your life by submitting and being obedient to his will and purposes for you. Do go to a church when you can and get baptized, out of obedience, but those things don't make you a Christian. If you truly feel you want to follow Jesus, then don't wait to repent and follow him.

Being a Christian is not about what you do. Being Christian is about what you believe and in whom you put your faith and trust. The title "Christian" means "follower of Christ" so taking on that title you would be declaring yourself a follower of Jesus.

Shortly after Jesus' died and rose again believers were referred to as being of "the Way." The first use of the title "Christians" to define those of "the Way" was recorded in Acts 11:26.
Thank you, this is really helpful to hear!

Thank you! This is really nice to hear
I was going to say about the same as WIP . Being a Christian is about putting complete faith and trust in Jesus, not only for salvation, but in every area of life. It is letting him be Lord (master and king) of your life by submitting and being obedient to his will and purposes for you. Do go to a church when you can and get baptized, out of obedience, but those things don't make you a Christian. If you truly feel you want to follow Jesus, then don't wait to repent and follow him.

Obeying God is always better than obeying man, and confession of God is better than denial. ( being manifest, light not darkness, which has to do an action, or there remains only darkness.)

Matthew 10:27 What I tell you in darkness, that speak ye in light: and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops.

John 12:42 Nevertheless among the chief rulers also many believed on him; but because of the Pharisees they did not confess him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue:
43 For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.

Luke 12:8 Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God:
9 But he that denieth me before men shall be denied before the angels of God.

Acts 5:29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

Acts 26:18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

King Josiah was 8 yrs old when he became King over God's people, Jehoash was 7. Each of us reach the age of accountability at different times, depending on our maturity. The most mature person of God was 30 when he was baptized interestingly.

God taught us to not be servants of men, but to obey our parents. (whoever our guardians are. )

If a man is of age to leave father and mother, and be joined to his wife, they are of the age to understand the mystery of Christ. ( being under a school master until we are no longer under a master.) Then we have one Master and Lord, ONE BAPTISM. ( churches, parents, all people, everything, apart from Jesus Christ, is not that one baptism.)

John 13:14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.

Galatians 3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

Ephesians 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

Ephesians 5:30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.

Ephesians 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.
2 Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise;
3 That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.
4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
5 Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ;
6 Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart;
7 With good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men:
8 Knowing that whatsoever good thing any man doeth, the same shall he receive of the Lord, whether he be bond or free.

Colossians 3:18 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.
19 Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them.
20 Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord.
21 Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged.
22 Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God;
23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;
24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.

Yes I believe so. But when you are able, get baptized and start attending church.

My mother was in a similar situation. At age 16 she walked several blocks to the nearest church and got baptized. when she told her parents (my grandparents) they told her they did not allow Christians in their house and she had to leave so she did. Packed a suitcase and walked off down the street. An hour later my grandpa drove off down the street in the direction she went and found her. Said she could come back home if she promised to not preach at them. So she did. But she made no promise about her siblings, and led most of them to the Lord.

Hi pristine-flower3000 and welcome to CF :wave2

You have been given some good answers and all I will add is what the below scriptures teach us. God has added to us a new sister in Christ and may God bless you above and beyond anything you could imagine.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Romans 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Romans 10:11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Yes. Acts chapter 3, repent sins to God and be forgiven, and conform to God's standard. John Baptist did baptized. It was to get people to repent and conform to christianity. James 2, faith and works go together. The doers of the word, produce fruit for God. Its studying the bible and sharing Gods truth with others. The hearers of the word, are playing church. They have dead works. Get the picture. James chapter 1, God gives knowledge and wisdom to those who ask. Pray for it, and study the bible. If you need help. I recommend shepherds chapel, pastor Dennis murray. You tube.

Jesus at age twelve, began quite early to do His Fathers business, and Mary and Joseph did not understand what He meant, but the men in the temple witnessed the wisdom by which Jesus spoke by, amazed, so I think going to a church seems fine, it is exactly what Jesus did here:

Luke 2:42 And when he was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem after the custom of the feast.
43 And when they had fulfilled the days, as they returned, the child Jesus tarried behind in Jerusalem; and Joseph and his mother knew not of it.

Luke 2:46 And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.
47 And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers.
48 And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing.
49 And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?
50 And they understood not the saying which he spake unto them.
51 And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart.
52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.

Hi and welcome.

Before suggesting you should or should not call yourself a Christian, can I ask...what is your understanding of that which Jesus has done for you in his life, death and resurrection?

Absolutely, welcome to the faith

The path many are on is a crooked one, not a straight one, believing in Christ is to turn from crookedness to what is made straight, from darkness to light. ( few find the straight path.)

Isaiah 40:4 Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain:

Isaiah 42:16 And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them.

Luke 3:5 Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be brought low; and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough ways shall be made smooth;

Matthew 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Jesus lives and nothing is hidden from Him. You can ask Him anything in prayer. You can invite Him into your heart and pledge a good conscience towards God in prayer as in living like a believer. You can "open the door" and no one can take that from you and it is the will of the Father to believe in the Son. If we ask anything according to His will He hears us.
Fellowship in Spirit.
Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.

The thief on the cross next to Messiah, never got baptized or went to church and Messiah Yahusha said; today you will be with me in paradise....so just seek him in your room, and you will do well. Shalom !

Do you love your father and mother more than God? Are you more afraid of your mother and father than from God? Your answers are in the first verse of (Matthew 10:37-39 NRSV): Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. (God Jesus Christ).
Be wise and choose right. Your duty is to follow God, to obey God and to do the will of God. If your parents disagree then they are committing a grave sin and you shouldn't partake in that sin. You must stand firm in front of your parents and openly confess your faith in Lord Jesus Christ not only by words but also by actions and that includes going to Church, reading the Bible every day, praying every day and so on.

Here is another bible quote related to your case (Matthew 10:32-39 KJV): Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

"Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Those who find their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it" (Matthew 10:37-39 NRSV).

Do you love your father and mother more than God? Are you more afraid of your mother and father than from God? Your answers are in the first verse of (Matthew 10:37-39 NRSV): Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. (God Jesus Christ).
Be wise and choose right. Your duty is to follow God, to obey God and to do the will of God. If your parents disagree then they are committing a grave sin and you shouldn't partake in that sin. You must stand firm in front of your parents and openly confess your faith in Lord Jesus Christ not only by words but also by actions and that includes going to Church, reading the Bible every day, praying every day and so on.

Here is another bible quote related to your case (Matthew 10:32-39 KJV): Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

"Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Those who find their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it" (Matthew 10:37-39 NRSV).She is also only 16 years old, and she is commanded to honor her mother and father.
You are right, but she is only 16 years old, and she is commanded to honor her mother and father.

Thank you, this is really helpful to hear!
It seems as though you are on the right path. We can encourage you to remain on the path to Jesus but only you know your home circumstances and the fine line you must walk between learning more about Jesus and obeying your parents. Sorry you have to navigate through your difficult situation. Continue to pray and seek guidance from the Lord and follow where he leads you.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back