Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christ's Resurrection Prophecy: "Tongues"

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Revel

We just celebrated the Resurrection of our Lord…

How important are the words of Christ… spoken in his resurrected body… on the day of his ascension?

On the day our Lord ascended into Heaven, he said to his disciples: “[T]hese signs will accompany those who believe . . . they will speak in new tongues†(Mark 16:17).

What did our Lord reveal to usâ€â€by revelationâ€â€about his prophecy of “tonguesâ€Â?

To us… the will of Heaven has been given. By revelation, the Son of God revealed it: “I would like every one of you to speak in tongues†(1 Cor. 14:5).

If this is the will of Heaven:

“I would like every one of you to speak in tongues.â€Â

Then what is the will of Satan?

“I would like every one of you not to speak in tongues.â€Â

Why would Satan not want us to manifest this sign of “tongues�

Why would our Lord want us to manifest this sign of “tongues�

…What separates Jesus Christ from every other “prophet�

He rose from the dead and ascended into Heaven. Although some people render this divine revelation to be a “story,†those who embrace the Son of God know it to be true.

Heaven has given Earth a supernatural sign that Jesus is Earth’s Messiah. Through the indwelling Spirit of Christ, a son of God is empowered to bring forth this divine sign: speaking in tongues. Both angelic and human, the new languages are known by God but not by the one speaking. Therein, speaking in divinely inspired tongues is a supernatural manifestation. It is the “witness†of Christ’s Resurrection.

It all began almost 2000 years ago on Pentecostâ€â€and Christ’s prophecy continues to be fulfilled…

Yet, what have we been told to believe about Christ’s prophecy of “tongues�

I would like to ask that we examine what some of our religious ancestors told us to believe about “tongues,†and contrast it with what the Scriptures have to say about this divine sign.

This is about what the Scriptures have to say regarding this subject of “tonguesâ€Ââ€â€not the theatrics man’s imagination has added to the sign.

This thread will continue forward by focusing on the Book of Acts, 1 Corinthians, 2 Peter, Joel, Isaiah, and the Gospels.

Who among us would like to carry out the will of Heaven and witness Christ’s prophecy of “tongues†personally fulfilled?

This thread is written with you in mind.

What did our Lord reveal?

“[T]hese signs ill accompany those who believe . . . they will speak in new tongues.â€Â

Not one verse contradicts Christ’s prophecy…

How can Christ’s revelation to his apostles contradict Christ’s own prophecy on the day of his ascension?

It’s impossible…

God bless.

revel

Mark 16:18 says

They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Are you prepared to challange a serpent or drink some sulfuric acid? I didn't think so. Lets face it, as much as we would like to believe every word of the Bible and read it as though every word pertains to us, not all of it applies to us. What is in this passage was for the apostles and even at that, this passage has been questioned for its validity.

Speaking in new tongues is a gift from God to the apostles allowing them to preach to people whos native language was unknown to the apostles.

“I would like every one of you to speak in tongues†(1 Cor. 14:5) is a bad translation. It sounds like a command, not a desire, as Paul intended the words to be:

5 - And I wish all of you to speak in languages, but rather that you may prophesy. For the one prophesying is greater than the one speaking in tongues, unless he interpret, that the assembly may receive building up. (litv)

... and then there is this:

1 Cor 12:4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit....

... 10 and to another, workings of powers, and to another, prophecy, and to another, discerning of spirits, and to another, kinds of languages, and to another, interpretation of languages.
11 But the one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing separately to each as He wills. (litv)

and

1 Cor 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
1 Cor 12:29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
1 Cor 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret? (litv)

Joel's prophecy was fulfilled in the second chapter of Acts. Unfortunately, many new denominations want to apply to the church signs and wonders that were ONLY meant for a nation... and that nation is Israel, specifically the Jews. They required signs, not the church. Everything we need lies in that One person, the Son of God... Jesus, the Messiah.

The Adversary is a master at twisting and turning Scripture until it means something it was never meant to mean. To suggest that all must speak in tongues is one of those suggestions. Don't allow him to continue.

Vic, I am surprised with your statements here. You seem to think that the gifts of the Spirit has ceased. Can you provide scripture for this? And as far as snake bites and poisons, this verse still applies. What it means is when we go out and preach the Word of God to the world, if we happen to run across a witch doctor and he happens to poison us, it will not harm us. I have heard of many testimonies that confirm this. Of course, we don't tempt God by handling snakes, but if accidently, we are bitten while in the process of going out in the world, they won't harm us. I am not going to argue tongues with you, but why do you want to limit God in what He wants to do in a church body. Don't you believe in the anointing? It simply means the manifest presence of God. You do not know what you are missing out on. I believe Church should be fun and not so dry and boring.

May God bless, Golfjack[/i]

Vic C. said:
Mark 16:18 says

They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Are you prepared to challenge a serpent or drink some sulfuric acid? I didn't think so. Lets face it, as much as we would like to believe every word of the Bible and read it as though every word pertains to us, not all of it applies to us. What is in this passage was for the apostles and even at that, this passage has been questioned for its validity.

Howdy Vic C,
Mark 16:18 is not sending us out to play with serpents, nor is it telling us to sit down to a dinner of poison. Those mountain folk who play with this verse like it was a toy give me the creeps. Those who do such things, are indeed tempting God.

It is as golfjack says. If we happen to find our self in the presence of a rattlesnake, or if someone were to poison us, God will protect us.
Been there done that. On both accounts.

I can also offer this Scripture:

Act 28:3 And when Paul had gathered a bundle of sticks, and laid [them] on the fire, there came a viper out of the heat, and fastened on his hand.
Act 28:4 And when the barbarians saw the [venomous] beast hang on his hand, they said among themselves, No doubt this man is a murderer, whom, though he hath escaped the sea, yet vengeance suffereth not to live.
Act 28:5 And he shook off the beast into the fire, and felt no harm.

Vic,
If you ever cross paths with a killer snake, or someone laces your food with rat poison or drain opener, I strongly suggest that the first thing you do is call on the name of the Lord, and remember Mark 16:18. Like all of the promises in the Word, it is a matter of faith.

It's not enough to merely speak in tongues as a sign. We have to know why.

This whole speaking in tongues issue comes from Isaiah 28 that says:

For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:
For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.

"This people" refers to the Israelite tribe of Ephraim, not the Jew. Some of the tribes of Israel were exiled and never returned to the land, and these people became Gentiles who would later embrace Christianity. They were stubborn and rebelled and the Lord was predicting that one day the Israelites would listen to the Word by another language other than Hebrew. This is the "sign"---- not per se speaking in "another tongue" just to spit off an unknown language, but the tongues was to go to all nations (i.e. the nations of the lost tribes of Israel) so that they would accept truth.

I hope that the churches that speak in tongues don't use that ability to show off their spirituality, as if they do that they are missing the whole point and are spitting off just that..... (I won't say it)

Christ’s prophecy and his Revelation to Paul

God bless you all and many thanks for posting your feedback. Truly, I am thankful for every response because it allows us to see the diversity of thought on this subject within the body of Christ.

Golfjack and Gabbylittleangel: Thanks.

Let me begin by saying this: For those of you following this who already speak in tongues, you know the joy, peace, comfort, confidence, and strength within, that this sign brings.

This thread is focused on “tongues,†but it is also about joy, peace, comfort, confidence, and strength. This is what our Lord wants for usâ€â€and this is what “tongues†brings to those who manifest this sign. (This is not to say “tongues†is the only source of this blessing.)

Now, on to Christ’s revelation: What are the two things our Lord asks of us regarding “tongues†and the interpretation of tongues?

“[T]hese signs will accompany those who believe . . . they will speak in new tongues.†(Mark 16:17)

“Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.†(1 Cor. 14:13 kjv)

With regard to speaking in tongues and the interpretation of tongues, Heaven asks us to engage our hearts and minds: “believe†and “pray.â€Â

Why else would our Lord ask us to “believe†and “pray,†unless he desires that we “believe†and “pray�

In other words, if we in the body of Christ desire to participate in manifesting the gift of the Holy Spirit, then Heaven desires that we participate.

How many of us in the body of Christ would like to participate in the joy, peace, comfort, confidence, and strength within, that the sign of “tongues†brings? This is the central purpose for this thread.

Just as we as members of the body of Christ shower one another with blessings, or Lord desires to do likewise from Heavenâ€â€and the sign of “tongues†yields blessings… which includes this:

“He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself.†(1 Cor. 14:5 kjv)

In essence, to “believeâ€Ââ€â€in this category of the Spiritâ€â€yields personal edification.

What else did Christ reveal to Paul?

We know from Christ’s revelation that the Spirit divides to “every man severally as he [the Spirit] wills†(1 Cor. 12:11 kjv).

Herein, a literal rendering… of what is literally stated… reveals this: The will of the Spirit… and our will (to “believe†and “prayâ€Â)… work together; the result is what Heaven seeks for us: blessings. Additionally, we know that the Sprit divides “severally,†meaning, it is possible for one member of the body of Christ to manifest the Holy Spirit in more than one way, like speaking in tongues along with the interpretation of tongues.

For almost 2000 years, Heaven has been asking the body of Christ to participate…

To be continued…

God bless.

revel

And the tongue that God spoke to me and my family---- English. My ancestors and I were Israelites and did not understand in our own tongue, but in our exile had to be spoken to in another tongue.

The first century through the eyes of Paul and John...

THE BODY OF CHRIST: THE FIRST CENTURY/THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY

Is “tongues†just as valid in the twenty-first century as it was in the first century?

How would Paul answer this question?

Did Heaven really remove this “sign†of “tongues†in the first century?

Or was it spiritual darkness that tried to cover up this “sign�

What actually happened to the church late in the first century?

What did Paul say?

You know that everyone in the province of Asia has deserted me. (2 Tim. 1:15)

Paul wrote this second letter to Timothy in about A.D. 67.

What did John say?

I [John] wrote to the church, but Diotrephes, who loves to be first, will have nothing to do with us. So if I come, I will call attention to what he is doing, gossiping maliciously about us. Not satisfied with that, he refuses to welcome the brothers. He also stops those who want to do so and puts them out of the church. (3 John 9, 10)

John revealed the mind-set of a church leader so twisted that he rejected not only an apostle but also cast Christ’s followers out of the church.

Diotrephes rejected John. Asia rejected Paul.

Church leadership actually dismissed Paul and John!!

How pathetic!!

What was the true “agenda†of these church “leaders�

How many doctrinal mutations could have come out of this corrupt environment?

How could removing spiritual gifts and signsâ€â€at a time like thisâ€â€benefit the will of Heaven?

Are we as Christ's church supposed to believe that Heaven's grand plan was to pull the plug on spiritual gifts and signs… when authorities were rejecting Paul and John?

How would ending spiritual gifts and signs help the church to see that Paul was teaching the truth?

Why would God document this revolting picture from our spiritual past?

We within the church must be honest with ourselves and examine what some of religious ancestors told us to believe. This must include the belief that the “sign†of “tongues†ended in the first century.

We already know that the first century “authorities†were promoting unsound doctrine in the body of Christ. Paul specifically identified unsound doctrine being taught regarding Christ’s descent for the church. Paul, in his second letter to Timothy, wrote the following:

Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly. Their teaching will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus, who have wandered away from the truth. They say that the resurrection has already taken place, and they destroy the faith of some. (2 Tim. 2:16–18)

Hymenaeus and Philetus “wandered away from the truth†and taught error about the “resurrection.†What resurrection? The same resurrection spoken of by Paul throughout the letters to the church: the resurrection of those who died in Christ.

Why did these “authorities†reject Paul anyway?

Is it possible that they didn’t care for the revelation Christ gave him?

If church “authorities†were promoting unsound doctrine about the resurrection, then is it possible that they were also promoting unsound doctrine about the “sign†of “tongues�

Is it possible that “authorities†like Diotrephes, Hymenaeus, and Philetus took the church in a direction away from the revelation Christ gave to Paul and John?

Just what exactly did Paul say in Corinthians about spiritual gifts?

In Corinthians, Paul connected spiritual gifts (for us) with the descent of our Lord (for us)…

Why?

How did Paul add the element of time to spiritual gifts?

How did Paul reveal to us that it is impossible for spiritual gifts to have ended in the first century?

CHRIST’S REVELATION TO PAUL: 1 CORINTHIANS

How are spiritual gifts and the descent of Christ in the clouds related?

What exactly did Paul reveal when he introduced us to the subject of spiritual gifts?

I always thank God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus. For in him you have been enriched in every wayâ€â€in all your speaking and in all your knowledgeâ€â€because our testimony about Christ was confirmed in you. THEREFORE YOU DO NOT LACK ANY SPIRITUAL GIFT AS YOU EAGERLY WAIT FOR OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST TO BE REVEALED. (1 Cor. 1:4-7)

Aren’t we still waiting for our Lord to be “revealed†from Heaven?

What did our Lord reveal by revelation to Paul about waiting?

According to Paul, our Lord seeks that we “do not lack any spiritual gift†as we “eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed.â€Â

How can weâ€â€in clear conscience before Heavenâ€â€dismiss the first part of the sentenceâ€â€spiritual giftsâ€â€and yet keep the second part: Christ being “revealedâ€Â?

In Corinthians, Chapters 12 and 14 expound upon the first part of Paul’s sentence (“Therefore you do not lack any spiritual giftâ€Â), and Chapter 15 expounds upon the second part of Paul’s sentence (“wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealedâ€Â).

Doesn’t Chapter 15 still apply to us?

Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changedâ€â€in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. (1 Cor. 15:51, 52)

If Chapter 15 still applies to us, then Chapters 12 and 14 must also apply to us: “Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift… as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed.â€Â

In other words, our Lord and Savior handed us the understanding of time: spiritual gifts shall remain in the body of Christ until our Lord is “revealed†in the clouds for us.

If Heaven joined together “spiritual gifts†and waiting “for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed,†then who are we to separate the two?

In essence, just as the descent of our Lord for us is still future tense, so the end of spiritual gifts for us is still future tense.

Herein, the belief that “tongues†“died†in the first century is product of man’s imaginationâ€â€not divine revelation.

The belief that spiritual gifts don’t apply to us today has become an obsession that devours logic: if spiritual gifts no longer apply as they did in the first century, then we in the twenty-first century would have complete lack in this category, and could not fulfill the will of Heaven as given by Paulâ€â€which is ungodly and impossible.

How could we “not lack any spiritual gift†if there are no more spiritual gifts?

What did Paul say about this subject of spiritual gifts?

“Our testimony about Christ was confirmed in you. Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift.â€Â

To “confirm†means, “to make firm, make steadfast, secure, make good, corroborate, i.e., make firm or establish by arguments or proofs,†(E. W. Bullinger, A Critical Lexicon and Concordance to the English and Greek New Testament, p. 180).

For those of us in the body of Christ who hold to the supreme authority of Scripture, we only need the testimony of our Lord and Savior and the revelation he gave to his apostles… which includes this:

“[F]orbid not to speak with tongues†(1 Cor. 14:39 KJV).

If this is the will of Heaven…

“[F]orbid not to speak with tongues.â€Â

“[F]orbid to speak with tongues.â€Â

How many of us were forbidden (directly or indirectly) to speak with tongues?

How many of our religious ancestors never “went there†and never discussed the subject of “tongues†from the pulpit?

Directly or indirectly, “tongues†was dismissed.

Dismissing Christ’s revelation to Paul is exactly what Hymenaeus and Philetus did.

Who gave Hymenaeus and Philetus the authority to dismiss Christ’s revelation and contradict Paul?

Hymenaeus and Philetus…

Hymenaeus and Philetus bestowed upon themselves this authority to dismiss Christ’s revelation to Paul… This is our example of what not to follow.

All Scripture is given by God and is profitable for doctrine, not just some of it.

Finally… How did Paul introduce his letter to the Corinthi

Paul, called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and our brother Sosthenes, TO THE CHURCH OF GOD IN CORINTH, TO THOSE SANCTIFIED IN CHRIST JESUS AND CALLED TO BE HOLY, TOGETHER WITH ALL THOSE EVERYWHERE WHO CALL ON THE NAME OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRISTâ€â€their Lord and ours. (1 Cor. 1:1, 2)

This letterâ€â€the entire letterâ€â€is to us, the body of Christâ€â€whether it is the first century or the twenty-first century... This letter builds upon the revelation our Lord gave on the day of his ascension:

“[T]hese signs will accompany those who believe . . . they will speak in new tongues.†(Mark 16:17)

Not one verse contradicts Christ’s prophecy.

Next: Christ’s Revelation: Sound Doctrine: The Will of Our Lord

God bless.

revel

If this is the will of Heaven…

“[F]orbid not to speak with tongues.â€Â

“[F]orbid to speak with tongues.â€Â

Yep. If he can't get us to lay our weapons down, then he is going to try to get us to unload them. If he can't get us to unload them, then he is going to try to get us to use them against each other.

Hello Gabbylittleangel,

God bless you!!

I love your heart for the truth!!

It is so refreshing to "listen" to a member of the body of Christ who actually believes Christ's revelation as given to Paul!!

And... I love how you communicated... what you communicated...

CHRIST’S REVELATION: SOUND DOCTRINE: THE WILL OF OUR LORD

As many of us know, the benefit of tongues does not end with personal strength (“edificationâ€Â), it continues with this:

“For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God.
Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit.†(1 Cor. 14:2)

Think about what Paul revealed… the Creator of the heavens and the Earth seeks for us, his creation, to speak to him perfectly… in the Spirit!!

Through the indwelling Holy Spirit, our Creator has enabled us to speak to himâ€â€directly and perfectlyâ€â€speaking divine “mysteries.â€Â

It is not a question of whether we speak to our God… when we speak in tongues… we do.

It is not a question of whether the will of Heaven applies to us… it does.

The will of Heaven is not a variable… nor is it a mystery…

This is the will of Heaven: “I would like every one of you to speak in tongues†(1 Cor. 14:5).

What is the question we answer?

It is a question of the will of man. That is the variable…

Or…

[T]hese signs will not accompany those who don’t believe . . . they will not speak in new tongues.

What can we as Christ’s church hope to gain by trying to ignore Christ’s prophecy on the day of his ascension?

For those of you following this who have not spoken in tongues… I address this to you: There is no need to be in subjection to any “authority†that forbids you to speak in tongues…

Just say no… to unsound doctrine…

UNSOUND DOCTRINE: TWISTED SCRIPTURE

I would like every one of you to not speak in tongues.

[F]orbid to speak with tongues.

Tongues, then, are not a sign for unbelievers.

He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth not himself.

[T]hese signs will not accompany those who don’t believe . . . they will not speak in new tongues.

For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to God. Indeed, he utters not mysteries with his spirit.

Follow not after charity [God’s love], and desire not spiritual gifts.

…It doesn’t matter how our religious ancestors tried to “explain away†“tonguesâ€Â; the explanation will always be unsound because the doctrine they sought to promote was unsound.

For those of you who have not spoken with tongues, just say yes to…

SOUND DOCTRINE: THE TESTIMONY OF OUR LORD AND SAVIOR

“I would like every one of you to speak in tongues†(1 Cor. 14:5).

“[F]orbid not to speak with tongues†(1 Cor. 14:39 KJV).

“Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers.†(1 Cor. 14:22)

“He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself.†(1 Cor. 14:5 KJV)

“For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God.
Ind, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit.†(1 Cor. 14:2)

“Follow after charity [God’s love], and desire spiritual gifts.†(1 Cor. 14:1 KJV).

“Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed.†(1 Cor. 1:7)

To be continued…

God bless.

revel

SPIRITUAL GIFTS: THE FIRST CENTURY/THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY

To those of you following this who have not spoken in tongues… and believe that spiritual gifts ended in the first century…

Perhaps we will never see eye-to-eye on the subject of the Holy Spirit, but allow me to begin where we agree:

For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.â€Â(Rom. 1:17)

That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,†and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. (Rom. 10:9, 10)

You and I are born-againâ€â€filled with the indwelling Holy Spiritâ€â€because… we believed literally what is literally stated.

This is where I am coming from: We as members of the body of Christ have the right to believe… what is literally stated. It is in this manner that we as faithful stewards of the Gospel can reap the greatest blessings in this life… and the next.

Without question, the Scriptures speak of the gift of the Holy Spirit and they speak of spiritual gifts.

As we know, the verses often quoted to prove spiritual gifts ended are found in Chapter 13 of 1 Corinthians.

Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. BUT WHEN THAT WHICH IS PERFECT IS COME, then that which is in part shall be done away. When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. (1 Cor. 13:8-12 KJV)

What is “perfect†that shall “come�

Some who believe that tongues ended declare that “perfect†means the “Scriptures†that came into being in the first centuryâ€â€stating that once the Scriptures arrived, Heaven deliberately removed spiritual gifts.

Is this what divine revelation states?

BACKGROUND

“BUT WHEN THAT WHICH IS PERFECT IS COME, then that which is in part shall be done away.â€Â

This verse has been “interpreted†four different ways. Here is what the NIV scholars state in the NIV Study Bible:

“Some refer the verse to the return of Christ, others to the death of a Christian, others to the maturity (or establishment) of the church . . ., still others to the completion of the canon of the NT Scripture. Verse 12, however, seems to indicate that Paul is here speaking of Christ’s second coming.â€Â

Verse 12:

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then FACE TO FACE: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. (1 Cor. 13:12 KJV)

“Face to faceâ€Â…

“Face†means, “the part towards, at or around the eye; hence, . . . the face, visage, countenance,†(E. W. Bullinger, A Critical Lexicon and Concordance to the English and Greek New Testament, p. 230).

In essence, “face†means a literal “face.â€Â

The only way to render “face to face†is to have each “face†refer to a literal “faceâ€Â: Paul is referring to the “face†of the church witnessing the face of our Lord Jesus Christâ€â€when he comes for us in the clouds.

This is what the NIV scholars are referring to in their statement: “Verse 12, however, seems to indicate that Paul is here speaking of Christ’s second coming.â€Â

What is “perfect†that shall “come�

Paul answered that for us in the immediate context (verse 12), and in the greater context (Chapters 1 and 12-15): Christ is the one who is perfect and spiritual gifts and signs will end he comes for us.

Why?

Paul explained it.

Firstly, Christ is perfect:

AND BEING MADE PERFECT, HE [CHRIST] BECAME THE AUTHOR OF ETERNAL SALVATION unto all them that obey him; Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec. (Heb. 5:9 KJV)

When that which is perfect, Christ, comes for us, then spiritual gifts will cease.

Why?

They will no longer be needed.

We shall be like Christ.

But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. Everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself, just as he is pure. (1 John 3:2, 3)

[N]ow I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. (1 Cor. 13:12 KJV)

The NIV scholars state this about Paul’s statement in 1 Corinthians 13:12: “The Christian will know the Lord to the fullest extent possible for a finite being, similar to the way the Lord knows the Christian fully and infinitely. This will not be true until the Lord returns.â€Â

In other words, the immediate context of Paul’s statement about what is “perfect†is the return of our Lordâ€â€not the completion of the Scriptures.

The foundationâ€â€and greater contextâ€â€of Chapter 13 is Chapter 1. Chapter 1 also speaks of Christ coming for usâ€â€not the completion of the Scriptures.

Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. He will keep you strong to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Cor. 1:7, 8)

We have the right to believe what is literally stated about spiritual gifts and Christ being revealed…

We as Christ’s church dare not ignore or dismiss… how Paul introduced us to spiritual gifts… and how they shall not end… until our Lord comes for us… and is revealed to us.

In essence, the immediate context and the greater context of Corinthians are in perfect harmony… and they answer the question of what is perfect: Christ.

Who in the body of Christ has the authority to dismiss the divine harmony of divine revelation?

How can Paul contradict himself in his own letter?

How cay verse in Bible contradict this revelation?

It’s impossible…

Any “interpretation†that contradicts Paul’s opening statement about “spiritual gifts†and “our Lord Jesus Christ†being “revealed†contradicts Scripture; this includes that belief that spiritual gifts ended when the Scriptures were completed in the first century.

Next:

THE GREATER CONTEXT OF 1 CORINTHIANS
PAUL’S LETTERS: THE REPEATING PATTERN

God bless,

revel

THE GREATER CONTEXT OF 1 CORINTHIANS

Heaven works with us, and asks us to “walk†in a spiritual manner, until we are gathered in the clouds. This is what Paul revealed to us.

CHAPTER 1

PAUL’S OPENING STATEMENT: SPIRITUAL GIFTS
“Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift…â€Â

CHAPTERS 12-14

PAUL EXPOUNDING UPON HIS OPENING STATEMENT: THE GREATER CONTEXT OF CORINTHIANS
I would like every one of you to speak in tongues. (1 Cor. 14:5)

[F]orbid not to speak with tongues. (1 Cor. 14:39 KJV)

Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers. (1 Cor. 14:22)

He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself. (1 Cor. 14:5 KJV)

For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God.
Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit. (1 Cor. 14:2)

Follow after charity [God’s love], and desire spiritual gifts. (1 Cor. 14:1 KJV)

But whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. (1 Cor. 13:8, 9 KJV)

CHAPTER 1

PAUL’S OPENING STATEMENTS: OUR LORD REVEALED

“[A]s you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. He will keep you strong to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.â€Â

CHAPTERS 13 AND 15

PAUL EXPOUNDING UPON HIS OPENING STATEMENTS: THE GREATER CONTEXT OF CORINTHIANS
For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ’s at his coming. (1 Cor. 15:22, 23 KJV)

Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changedâ€â€in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. (1 Cor. 15:51, 52)

But when that which is perfect [Christ] is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. (1 Cor. 13:10 KJV)

But then face to face [with Christ]: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. (1 Cor. 13:12 KJV)

PAUL’S LETTERS: THE REPEATING PATTERN

Compare Philippians with 1 Corinthians.

Heaven works with us, and asks us to “walk†in a spiritual manner, until we are gathered in the cloudsâ€â€just like Paul stated in Corinthians.

PHILIPPIANS

CHAPTER 1

PAUL’S OPENING STATEMENTS

Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ. (Phil. 1:6 KJV)

CHAPTER 3

PAUL EXPOUNDING UPON HIS OPENING STATEMENTS: THE GREATER CONTEXT OF PHILIPPIANS
Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample. . . . For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself. (Phil. 3:17, 20, 21 KJV)

Here, Paul specifically states, “be followers together of me.â€Â

What did Paul state in Corinthians?

“I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you.â€Â

“I would like every one of you to speak in tongues.â€Â

Paul is our example.

Why would someone who contradicts Paul be our example?

Here is another letter.

1 THESSALONIANS

CHAPTER 1

PAUL’S OPENING STATEMENTS

And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost: So that ye were ensamples to all that believe in Macedonia and Achaia. . . . And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come. (1 Thess. 1:6, 7, 10 KJV)

CHAPTER 4

PAUL EXPOUNDING UPON HIS OPENING STATEMENTS: THE GREATER CONTEXT OF THESSALONIANS

That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that ye may have lack of nothing. . . . For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. (1 Thess. 4:12, 15-17 KJV)

1 Corinthians, Philippians, and 1 Thessalonians speak to us in a parallel manner: We as the body of Christ are to soak up all of Christ’s revelation to Paul, and follow Paul as our example, and walk the talkâ€â€which includes, “Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual giftsâ€Â…until our perfect Lord comes for us and we see him face-to-face!!

If you currently do not speak in tongues, my prayer for you is that you will be set free from the belief that spiritual gifts ended in the first century, and that you too will speak forth this glorious sign that our Lord has given us: “tongues.â€

[T]hese signs will accompany those who believe . . . they will speak in new tongues. (Mark 16:17)

There is no “first century†expiration date on Christ’s prophecy.

God bless.

revel

THE APOSTLE PETER: THE BOOK OF ACTS

For those of you who have not spoken in tongues, consider the experience of the apostle Peterâ€â€and let him be an inspiration to you.

Peter, who was once encased in fear, was delivered from fear.

That was Peter’s experienceâ€â€and he set others free too. That’s the Book of Acts.

What was the experience of Peter in Acts?

Prior to delving into this, what was Peter’s state of mind before the day of Pentecost?

Fifty days prior to Pentecost, Peter had been hiding behind locked doors… full of fear…

“On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jews. . . .†(John 20:19)

During this time in Peter’s life, he had even denied knowing the Lord; he had nothing to say publicly concerning him. With the Crucifixion of Jesus, Peter and the others had been overcome with grief and loss.

But our Lord appeared to Peter and the others, and on the day of the ascension, Christ gave them a promise:

[Y]ou will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you. (Acts 1:8)

On Pentecost, Christ infused Peter with spiritual power from on high, and Peter crossed a divine threshold: he completely changed from a man full of fear to a man of great confidence and faith. Only one thing could have changed him from within: “power.†Christ filled him with “power,†the Holy Spirit… and Peter manifested this “power†by speaking in tongues… and Peter began teaching boldly in the name of Christ.

On Pentecost, Peter had a new set of eyes with which to view life. The apostle looked quite differently on those whom he once feared when he gave the crowd prophetic knowledge:

“Men of Israel, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know. . . .
When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?â€Â

Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far offâ€â€for all whom the Lord our God will call.†(Acts 2:22, 37–39)

“Brothers, what shall we do?â€Â

“Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.â€Â

This question and Peter’s response are just as alive and real today as they were some two thousand years ago. The promises and prophecies of Heaven are unchanging.

Imagine what could have been going through the mind of Peter. Ten days earlier, he had watched Christ ascend off the planet. Now Jerusalem was filled with the presence of Heaven, and it would overflow into many bloodlines.

As documented in Acts 10, Peter took the gospel of immortality to the Romans. Upon his arrival at the home of a Roman soldier, Peter expounded upon the will of Heaven.

While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles. For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God. (Acts 10:44–46)

After Peter taught the words of Christ, the Romans manifested the sign of “tongues.†Peter did not deny anyone entrance into the kingdom of God, nor did Peter forbid anyone to speak in tongues.

This is the New Covenant that Christ gave to every nation, to every bloodline. This is our precedent. This is our example.

This example in Acts is just as alive and real today as it was two thousand years ago. The promises and prophecies are unchanging for the church.

Didn’t we make Jesus our Lord too?

Didn’t we receive “power†too?

We in the body of the Christ have the God-given right to believeâ€â€and personally fulfillâ€â€Christ’s prophecy about “tongues†given on the day of the ascension.

Acts 10 speaks to us today just like Acts 2. Christ’s revelation to Paul reveals to us that the Book of Acts is not just a history book, but that it speaks to us today, and is to be carried forward until Christ returns: “I would like every one of you to speak in tongues†(1 Cor. 14:5). “Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed†(1 Cor. 1:7).

Just as we as members of the body of Christ shower one another with blessings, or Lord desires to do likewise from Heavenâ€â€and the sign of “tongues†yields blessings.

How many of you following this… who have not spoken in tongues… would like to “speak forth†this divine sign and know what it means to be spiritually edified?

Christ’s revelation reveals that you cn speak forth the same sign as spoken by Peter and by those at the house of Cornelius: the divine sign of Christ within, speaking with divinely inspired languages.

You have the gift of the Holy Spirit… and the blessings are intended to continue…

Why should we allow any religious ancestor or any modern-day “authority†to turn us against the example of an apostle?

God bless.

revel

CHRIST’S REVELATION TO PAUL: 1 CORINTHIANS

Christ will keep us “strong to the end.â€Â

How?

Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. He will keep you strong to the end [Greek: telos], so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Cor. 1:7, 8)

According to Paul’s letter, how does Christ keep us “strong to the end�

What is the immediate context?

“Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift.â€Â

How will Christ keep us “strong to the end�

Paul explained itâ€â€in the greater context of his letter.

CHAPTERS 12-14

But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
(1 Cor. 12:7 KJV)

We as the body of Christâ€â€during the age of graceâ€â€Ã¢â‚¬Å“profit†from the gifts of the Holy Spirit as stated by Paul (verses 8-11 in Chapter 12).

For example, now, during this present time, prophecy strengthens us in the following manner:

But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort. (1 Cor. 14:3)

Now, during this present time, “tongues†strengthens us in the following manner:

He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself. (1 Cor. 14:5 KJV)

Paul specifically identified the strength provided by “prophecy†and “tonguesâ€Ââ€â€and he provided specific direction regarding each gift:

Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues. (1 Cor. 14:39 KJV)

How else does our Lord keep us strong during the age of grace?

And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. (1 Cor. 12:28 KJV)

“Tongues†is included in what God “set†in the “church.â€Â

What earthly “authority†has the right to “remove†what God set in the church?

For those of us in the body of Christ who hold to the supreme authority of Scripture, Paul’s foundation of truthâ€â€about giftsâ€â€stands as given:

So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Cor. 1:7 KJV)

“So that ye come behind in no gift.â€Â

“No†means “not one.â€Â

In other words, not one gift (as spoken of in Chapters 12-14) shall we lack as we wait for the coming of Christ (not the coming of the Scriptures).

Any “interpretation†of Paul’s letter that eliminates even one gift from the church contradicts Paul.

If two gifts ended in the first century, then Paul contradicted himself, because then we would “come behind†in two of the giftsâ€â€while we wait for the coming of Christ.

What earthly “authority†has the right to “remove†“tongues�

What earthly “authority†has the right forbid members of the church to speak to our God in the Spirit?

For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God.
Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit. (1 Cor. 14:2)

Our God has given us the ability to speak directly to himâ€â€perfectlyâ€â€in the Spirit.

Who would want to bring this to an end (during this present time)?

Heaven?

Or Satan?

Now, in this present time, we are strengthened and blessed by “tongues.†However, at “the end,†we will no longer need to speak in tongues because we will speak to our Lord face-to-face.

What exactly is “the end�

It is the Greek word “telos.â€Â

“Telos†means, “the fulfillment or completion of anything . . . . It denotes strickly, not the ending of a departed state, but, the arrival of a complete or perfect one,†(E. W. Bullinger, A Critical Lexicon and Concordance to the English and Greek New Testament, p. 248).

Christ is the one who keeps us strong to the “telosâ€Â… and he also is the one who brings in the “telosâ€Ââ€â€this perfect stateâ€â€at his coming. This is precisely what Paul is saying later in his letter, when he contrasts “now†with “thenâ€Â:

For NOW [during this present time] we see through a glass, darkly; but THEN [at the telos… at the arrival of the perfect state brought about by the coming of that which is perfect] face to face [with Christ, who is then revealed]: NOW I know in part; but THEN [at the telos] shall I know even as also I am known. (1 Cor. 13:12 KJV)

“Now,†our Lord intercedes and helps to keep us strong with spiritual gifts, but “then,†at the “telos,†we will no longer need the intercession and blessing of spiritual gifts and signs, for the Lord himself will be in our presence, face-to-face.

THEN
The foundation of Paul’s truth about “then†was first revealed to us in Chapter 1. “Then†refers back to the “telos.†“Then†is also associated with “face-to-face†(a literal face), and it is associated with fully knowing as we are fully known by God.

NOW
The foundation of Paul’s truth about “now†was first revealed to us in Chapter 1. “Now†refers to the time that Christ keeps us “strongâ€Â: this present time.

“NOW†AND “THENâ€Â
Contrasting “now†(this present time) and “then†(the fulfillment of end-time prophecies) is found in another one of Paul’s letters: 2 Thessalonians.

2 THESSALONIANS: “NOW†AND “THENâ€Â

Who [the Antichrist] opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God. Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?

And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time. For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who NOW [during this present time] letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.

And THEN [in the future; at the end time] shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming. (2 Thess. 2:4-8 KJV)

The Greek word for “now†in 1 Corinthians 13:12 is the same as found here in 2 Thessalonians 2:7. It is “arti†and means, “(this) present.†Paul is specifically addressing this present timeâ€â€which precedes the end time.

The Greek word for ‘then†in 1 Corinthians 13:12 is the same as found here in 2 Thessalonians 2:8. It is “tote†and means, “at the time . . . (of the past or future).†In the context of Paul’s letters, “then†is contrasted with “now†and must refer to the future. What shall happen “then†is still future tense.

Now… back to the verse that has been the subject of much debate:

“But when that which is PERFECT [Greek: telios] is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.â€Â

The word “perfect†is in question. The Greek word is “telios.â€Â

Here is the definition of “teliosâ€Â:

“Complete, perfect, full, wanting nothing, with special reference to the end for which it was intended,†(E. W. Bullinger, A Critical Lexicon and Concordance to the English and Greek New Testament, p. 579).â€Â

1 Corinthians 13:10 has been debated because of the multiple opinions about “telios.†In this one sentence, Paul doesn’t definitely state what is “perfect.â€Â

So… to whom do we look to find the answer?

Paul.

What is “telios�

The root word for “telios†is “telosâ€Ââ€â€and it is found in Paul’s opening statements about spiritual gifts.

Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. He will keep you strong to the end [Greek: telos], so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Cor. 1:7, 8)

Christ will keep us strong to the “endâ€Â: “telos.â€Â

Paul’s reference to “telios†(what is complete) expounds upon the “telos†(the arrival of a complete, spiritually perfect, state)â€â€which is ushered in by he who is perfect, Christ, on the “day of our Lord Jesus Christ.â€Â

In essence, “telos†is associated with Christâ€â€his personal presenceâ€â€that we will see, face-to-face, and “telios†is associated with Christâ€â€his personal presenceâ€â€that we will see, face-to-face.

Paul is assuring the Corinthians (and us) that not one spiritual gift will end until Christ brings the perfect state at the “telos†when we see him face-to-face.

Tragically, Paul’s letter is used to teach the complete opposite regarding “tongues†and prophecyâ€â€believing they ended in the first century.

In 1 Corinthians, the “telos†and “telios†have no relevance to the first century or the Scriptures being completed, nor does “then†have any relevance to the first century. “Then†is not “nowâ€Ââ€â€not yet.

OUR RELIGIOUS ANCESTORS: WHAT THEY TOLD US TO BELIEVE

There is a belief circulating in the body of Christ that “tongues†ended.

This belief relies upon an assumption that “perfect†means the “Scriptures†that came into being in the first centuryâ€â€stating that once the Scriptures arrived, Heaven deliberately removed spiritual gifts. To support this position, we are told we must look to James (1:25) to understand what Paul is saying about “perfect.â€Â

Is that what Paul expected the Corinthians to do… look to James?

The key to understanding “perfect†in 1 Corinthians 13 is found in the same letter, Corinthians, in the immediate and greater contextâ€â€not James.

Look at what some of our religious ancestors expected us to believe:

1. To answer what is “perfect†in Paul’s letter to the church, we must look to a completely different writerâ€â€Jamesâ€â€who wrote to a completely different audience, the twelve tribes… and come up with the conclusion that “perfect†means the Scriptures in 1 Corinthians 13… even though in Corinthians, Paul never explicitly states this.

2. We are also expected to take the “word†of an “authority†who has never spoken in tongues, and we are expected to follow his or her example… and not the example of the apostles (in the Book of Acts).

3. In essence, we are expected to believe that sections of 1 Corinthians, Acts, and the prophecy given by our Lord on the day of his ascension are no longer valid in our walk with our Lord.

Where in the New Testament does it specifically state:

“When the Scriptures are come, then two spiritual gifts will end.â€Â

Nowhere…

Yet, all throughout the New Testament, the apostles definitively state that Christ will come for us, and Paul definitively states, and desires, that we not lack any spiritual gift as we wait for our Lord to be revealed.

THE NEW TESTAMENT: PAUL, JAMES, AND JOHN

Christ, and the perfect state, shall arrive for us, “then,†not the Scriptures. It is Christ we will see face-to-face, “then,†not the Scriptures.

For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our LORD JESUS CHRIST AT HIS COMING [Greek: parousia]? (1 Thess 2:19 KJV)

To the end he may stablish your hearts unblameable in holiness before God, even our Father, AT THE COMING OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST with all his saints. (1 Thess. 3:13 KJV)

For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain UNTO THE COMING OF THE LORD shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. (1 Thess. 4:15-17 KJV)

Now we beseech you, brethren, BY THE COMING OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST, and by our gathering together unto him. (2 Thess 2:1 KJV)

Be patient therefore, brethren, UNTO THE COMING OF THE LORD. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain. Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh. (James 5:7, 8 KJV)

And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and NOT BE ASHAMED BEFORE HIM AT HIS COMING. (1 John 2:28 KJV)

“Coming†is translated from the Greek word, “parousia,†which means “advent, return, coming, presence.†This is precisely what Paul referred to throughout his letters to the churchâ€â€and 1 Corinthians 13 is not an exception.

…Back to this section of Scripture:

“Charity never faileth: BUT WHETHER THERE BE PROPHECIES, THEY SHALL FAIL; WHETHER THERE BE TONGUES, THEY SHALL CEASE; WHETHER THERE BE KNOWLEDGE, IT SHALL VANISH AWAY. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.â€Â

For those of you following this who believe two gifts ended in the first century, why not address the following?

TONGUES/PROPHECY/INTERPRETATION OF TONGUES

If only two gifts ended in the first century (ââ†and “prophecyâ€Â), then this means that the other gifts are still valid in our day and timeâ€â€which means the interpretation of tongues is still valid.

If “tongues†ended in the first century, then what would be the point of keeping the interpretation of tongues, if there are no “tongues†to interpret?

KNOWLEDGE/TONGUES/PROPHECY

For those of you who believe two gifts ended, you apparently separate “knowledge†from “prophecy†and “tongues.†Paul speaks of three subjects that shall end, not two.

“Charity never faileth: but whether there be PROPHECIES, they shall fail; whether there be TONGUES, they shall cease; whether there be KNOWLEDGE, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.â€Â

How do you refer to “knowledge†in the context of Paul’s letter?

Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, TO ANOTHER THE MESSAGE OF KNOWLEDGE BY MEANS OF THE SAME SPIRIT, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, TO ANOTHER PROPHECY, to another distinguishing between spirits, TO ANOTHER SPEAKING IN DIFFERENT KINDS OF TONGUES, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines. (1 Cor. 12:7-11)

SPIRITUAL GIFTS

What does Paul’s statement about spiritual gifts mean to you in your walk with God?

“Follow after charity [God’s love], and desire spiritual gifts.†(1 Cor. 14:1 KJV)

Truly, I am interested in your perspective.

God bless.

revel

For those of you following this who have never spoken in tongues, and would like to speak forth the glory of this sign, take heart, the preaching hasn’t stopped and the signs haven’t stopped…

He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. WHOEVER BELIEVES and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. AND THESE SIGNS WILL ACCOMPANY THOSE WHO BELIEVE: In my name they will drive out demons; THEY WILL SPEAK IN NEW TONGUES; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.†After the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, he was taken up into heaven and he sat at the right hand of God. Then the disciples went out and preached everywhere, AND THE LORD WORKED WITH THEM AND CONFIRMED HIS WORD BY THE SIGNS THAT ACCOMPANIED IT. (Mark 16:15-20)

Our Lord still works with us and the signs still continue.

What is the central theme given to us by our Lord on the day of his ascension?

Believe…

To be continued…

God bless.

revel

GOD’S PEOPLE: HISTORY, PROPHECY, AND OUR REALITY

Exactly fifty days after God’s divine intervention at the Red Sea, God met with the Israelites at Mount Sinai. This event foreshadowed the birth of the church, the descent of the Holy Spirit, and tongues of fire.

[T]here was thunder and lightning, with a thick cloud over the mountain, and a very loud trumpet blast. Everyone in the camp trembled. Then Moses led the people out of the camp to meet with God, and they stood at the foot of the mountain. MOUNT SINAI WAS COVERED WITH SMOKE, BECAUSE THE LORD DESCENDED ON IT IN FIRE. The smoke billowed up from it like smoke from a furnace, the whole mountain trembled violently, and the sound of the trumpet grew louder and louder. Then Moses spoke and the voice of God answered him. (Exod. 19:16–19)

As God communed with his people on Mount Sinai fifty days after the Israelites crossed the Red Sea, so God sent the Holy Spirit to dwell within the disciples fifty days after the Resurrection of his Son. The holy day that marks God communing with his people is the Feast of Weeks (Pentecost).

As God demonstratedâ€â€and continues to demonstrateâ€â€his power via the Holy Spirit and spiritual gifts, so God demonstrated his power to the Israelites during the Exodus.

This descent of God on Mount Sinai “in fire†foreshadowed the descent of the Holy Spiritâ€â€the sign of which was “tongues of fire†(Acts 2:3).

The significance of “tongues†cannot be underestimated. It is God’s power (via the Holy Spirit) personally manifested in our lives. It is no wonder that we are edified when we speak in tongues.

The Israelites could not speak in divinely inspired languages, but our God has granted us that ability by way of the Holy Spirit within. It all began on the Feast of Weeks (Pentecost).

Pentecost represented the fulfillment of what God had prophesied via his prophets Isaiah and Joel. This is what God longed for: to dwell within us via the Holy Spirit, and to enable us to manifest his power, personally.

Hundreds of years before Christ, Joel foretold of the day God would pour out his Spirit upon flesh and blood. Joel recorded the very words spoken by the Almighty: “I will pour out my Spirit on all people. . . . Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days†(Joel 2:28, 29).

On Pentecost this prophecy came to pass; this is the prophecy that Peter referenced on that holy day (Acts 2:16-21).

This holy day of Pentecost represented the fulfillment of not only Joel’s prophecy but that of Isaiah as well: “With foreign lips and strange tongues God will speak to this people, to whom he said, ‘This is the resting place, let the weary rest’; and, ‘This is the place of repose’â€â€but they would not listen†(Isa. 28:11, 12).

This is the prophecy that Paul referenced (1 Cor. 14:21).

God said that he would speak to his people with “foreign lips†and “strange tongues.†On Pentecost, this prophecy of new languages was fulfilled. Thereby, God brought souls into the kingdom of Christ, and within it, brought them to a place of confidence (“reposeâ€Â).

Yet for all of this, Isaiah foretold that there would be followers of Moses who would not embrace even a supernatural sign from God. On Pentecost, some devout followers of the Old Covenant even accused Peter of being drunk when he spoke in tongues.

And to this day… the accusations just continue… Tragic.

On the holy day of Pentecost, Peter told the crowd that they had heard divine prophecy fulfilled in their ears.

Today, we can personally fulfill the prophecy of our Lord:

[T]hese signs will accompany those who believe . . . they will speak in new tongues. (Mark 16:17)

Why not manifest Heaven’s power on Earth?

All spiritual gifts are still in operation todayâ€â€just as they were 20 centuries ago.

This is the will of Heaven:

So that ye come behind in no [not one] gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Cor. 1:7 KJV)

Today, we still wait for the coming of our Lord, and while we wait, we are not to lack even one gift…

“So that ye come behind in no gift.â€Â

“No†means “not one.â€Â

No exceptions.

Exceptions only exist in man’s imagination and in religious traditionâ€â€not in the Scriptures.

What does our Lord ask of us?

“Follow after charity [God’s love], and desire spiritual gifts.†(1 Cor. 14:1 KJV)

“Desire spiritual gifts.â€Â

Paul say, desire “some†spiritual gifts?

No…

“Desire spiritual gifts†means “desire spiritual gifts.â€Â

No exceptions.

The power of the Holy Spirit is ours to manifest…

Why should we allow any “authority†to set limits on our spiritual walk with God?

God bless.

revel

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back