Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Church discipline.Matthew 18:15-18

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Tony Hyman

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has experience where all grievance procedures have been followed and a member had to be rejected or asked to leave the flock through stubboness , regardless of all attempts to reconcile in terms of verse 18.Just in general no names or packdrill obviously.I am thinking in terms where the harmony of the flock is seriously disrupted leaving no other option,not petty little differences and quirks which we all inherently have ,and have to work on in ,accordance with Galations 5:22.Fruits of the Spirit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I once attended a church where the music director, on the payroll, got caught cheating on his wife.
Not once, not twice, but three times.
When they forced him to step down, he made a big stink.

Bad situation.

I was involved in that one time where I saw it carried out to it's end, only one time, and hope to never be involved in it to that extent again. In fact, the time I was involved in it was also the only time I've ever witnessed it carried out to it's end.

It was a congregation member who had fallen into drug abuse and had stolen from two congregation members, of which I was one. He was also renting a room from a member and had the money to pay the rent, but refused to pay from the time he had moved in. I approached him one on one (as did the other victims) about the theft stating he needed to stop and to make restitution. He never denied that he stole, and never disagreed that I was right to expect him to pay for what he took, but he just flat out refused to do it. And he also continued to steal and to abuse drugs. I then got two other people from the church and tried to meet with him, but he refused to meet with us, so I wrote what I wanted to say in front of the witnesses and had them sign the letter as witnesses. I also quoted Matt. 18 in the letter and told him this was now the 2nd step of that process and asked him again to reconsider what he was doing and meet with us. I had the letter delivered by courier to make sure he actually got it.

He ignored the letter and the problems continued, so I and the other victims went to the pastor. The pastor called a congregational meeting the next week and made sure he knew about the meeting and why it was being called. Our attitude throughout the whole process was that this man was a Christian, or at least had professed to be a Christian so I take him at his word, and he was sinning against God as well as against us, and we wanted him to stop doing this so he could come back into fellowship. On the day of the meeting to take the issue before the church he once again refused to show up. (Someone actually went to get him to make sure there was no misunderstanding, and he told them he just didn't want to go.) So those of us who he had harmed presented our case to the congregation and they agreed that this could not be allowed to continue. They voted unanimously to remove him from the congregation as well as remove him from the congregation members house where he was refusing to pay his rent and refusing to move out. Immediately after the meeting two deacons were sent to where he lived to give him the results of the meeting, inform him he was no longer welcome in the congregation unless he changed his ways, and to physically move him out of the house.

The whole process was a sad one for me as he had been my friend as well as a member of the church I was attending. I was literally in tears when they voted to excommunicate him, and I don't do that very often. I really thought that somewhere in the Matt 18 process he would suddenly realize the seriousness of what was happening and change his ways. Had he done that and offered me restitution, I already knew that I had forgiven him and that I wouldn't have taken it from him, I would have just thanked him for the gesture and thanked him for turning around and making things right again. It was truly a sad day for me when I watched those two deacons leave that night and then saw them return to tell us it was done. But this was handled according to scripture, and sometimes bad things happen and the results are sad. I just had to accept that. To this day I have not seen or heard from him again.

It is sad Obadiah,as you say , but we see here from your experience and from Allenwynne that the Church as a body is not immune to the attempts of guiltless con artists who abuse the kindness of believers.I suppose many biblical verses would apply to these cases , but as Rick Warren explaines in his Purpose Driven Life under the chapter Protecting Your Church,it's about the good of all not the indervidual 1 Corinthians 10:24"Don't think only of your own good.Think of other Christians and what is best for them."(N.L.T.) New Living Translation 1996

He also points out an interesting perspective of Matthew 5:9 "Blessed are the peacemakers for they will be called sons of God."(N.I.V.) Note that the word peacekeepers is not used.Peacemaking is hard work because one has to actually confront the problem ,which is not always that comfortable as one has go against the grain if necessary.Passivally attenting Church and adopting a hear no evil see no evil ,or it's the "clergy's" problem approach is easy work ,afterall dont we all love peace .One just sits back in complacancy and enjoys the free ride to everlasting life.No Sir or Madam I dont think that is what Christ has in mind.Dont feel bad guys you just did your job in Protecting Your Church as any ex-cop would.

Last edited by a moderator:
I witnessed "church discipline" quite regularly in my days as a member of the Church of Christ. 2 Thessalonians 3:6, Romans 16:17, and other texts like Matthew 18:15-17 to support the act of withdrawing fellowship from an 'erring' brother or sister.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back