Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Converting to a Catholic

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

jgredline

Hi Folks...Through all the brilliant arguments that folks have put up on behalf of the Catholic Church, I have decided to convert to catholicism ....So I will begin to ''work'' at becoming a ''good catholic'' and hope that God sees me worthy of his kingdom...With a little luck I will be able to skip purgatory....If not I would humbly ask that someone will light a candle on my behalf at the local catholic church....

Well, I am off to lunch

p.s. There is room at the inn for others to join....

Oh my Javier, You must be joking. If not, be careful of the nuns and priests that they don't molest you. Be careful of an upset stomach after taking communion.

May God bless, Golfjack

If not, be careful of the nuns and priests that they don't molest you. Be careful of an upset stomach after taking communion.

There was no need for that.

jgredline said:
Hi Folks...Through all the brilliant arguments that folks have put up on behalf of the Catholic Church, I have decided to convert to catholicism ....So I will begin to ''work'' at becoming a ''good catholic'' and hope that God sees me worthy of his kingdom...With a little luck I will be able to skip purgatory....If not I would humbly ask that someone will light a candle on my behalf at the local catholic church....

Well, I am off to lunch

Any respect I have had for you has been lost with such unwarranted comments. It's too bad the "spirit" that resides in you has shown itself - and I am not impressed.

jgredline said:

Well, I am off to lunch

You do not even have to own a Bible now. What a great way to get to heaven. Just let the Roman Catholic Church do it for you. :angel:

Solo said:
You do not even have to own a Bible now. What a great way to get to heaven. Just let the Roman Catholic Church do it for you. :angel:

:lol: The only problem is that heaven isn't where the catholics are going...that is, if one believes Jesus. ;-)

Solo said:

LOL!!! Where does the Bible say that the Bible is an absolute necessity to enter heaven??? Considering less than 10% of the Western Roman Empire was literate during the explosion of Christianity, I guess they were out of luck, as well as the BILLIONS of people who never HEARD of the Bible!

And you complain about works salvation??? Now, you have to have a book to enter heaven???

Well, I did say you were a funny guy...

Regards

francisdesales said:
Any respect I have had for you has been lost with such unwarranted comments. It's too bad the "spirit" that resides in you has shown itself - and I am not impressed.

Hey, ''You'' are the reason for my conversion....You have put on a clinic with your arguments...I have learned much about the catholic church in the past month....I had no idea what a great sect it was and is....

Lets see...The flesh will take some getting used to at communion, hopefully I won't get drunk...

I have a nice patio where I can erect a huge statue of Mary so she can watch over my place and of course I can visit her with my prayer request....

Perhaps I will find another saint for back up prayers....Hey I know how about ''St. Francis de Sales''...Two idols I mean saints are better than one....

Then then there is a problem with my bibles....I will have to add scriptures to them in the form of the apocrypha and oh yes, I need to remove eph 2 verses 8 and 9 because I must begin to work to make sure I am worthy enough for heaven ''because'' Jesus death on the cross was not quite enough...He needs my help....and if I fall short, no problem...There is purgatory for me....

I suppose I should hit the 99cents store for some candles since they are 3 for a dollar, when at the local church they cost 2 bucks....

Then again perhaps I can write a check to the pope for an indulgence (salvation), Yep thats it...Problem is I don't have any money, or not enough, so I maybe purgatory it is..... :roll:

JG,
Maybe the local parish will let you pull up a cot at the alter of Mary so that you can take the Eucharist every time you sin so that it can be forgiven you by the ole priest of the parish. That way you won't have to worry about purgatory!!!!! :wink:

Heidi said:
:lol: The only problem is that heaven isn't where the catholics are going...that is, if one believes Jesus. ;-)

On what basis do you not think Catholics are going to heaven?

Solo said:

Considering there wasn't a NT for the first 300 years of Christianity, I don't understand the sarcasm.

Do you think you need to own a bible to be a Christian?

Funny thing is, when it comes to the bible, you are trusting the Catholic Church. Who do you think canonized and preserved the bible for the first 1500 years before the reformation and the printing press?

Solo said:
JG,
Maybe the local parish will let you pull up a cot at the alter of Mary so that you can take the Eucharist every time you sin so that it can be forgiven you by the ole priest of the parish. That way you won't have to worry about purgatory!!!!! :wink:

It's odd you mock biblical concepts like the Eucharist and the forgiveness of sin.

Jesus gave the apostles the authority to forgive sins and the apostles celebrated the Eucharist- and yet you talk about these sarcastically.

JG,
I am thinking very seriously of converting to Roman Catholicism with you. It seems like something that even an unbeliever can join without much problem. Just think, one can join up without even having the Holy Spirit dwelling within them as the Roman Catholic church teaches that the Holy Spirit dwells within her. Not only that, but we can worship, I mean venerate, Mary with Jesus; if we decide to worship Jesus. We can just let Mary intercede to the Father for us, because Jesus understands. We do not have to worry about Jesus telling us to depart from Him because he never knew us, because we are accepted into His Church by the pope, by the Mother of God, and by the Father priest Joe, and by whatever cardinal or bishopric you decide is your parish head, and by the Roman Catholic catechism. When you have all of that going for you, who needs God or the Bible!?

Why haven't we seen this before now?!!! Let's join up with 'em tomorrow. In fact, look at some of the morons that are in this way to heaven. You and I are bound to be cream on top with this bunch!!!!
Solo

We are presently being "treated" to some of the rhetoric that some protestant evangelicals muster in their attempt to discredit Catholicism.

There will always be those who will approach these discussions with the single minded purpose of discrediting beliefs they do not hold. These people are passionate about "their position" and not passionate about what is important - the truth.

This is evidenced by their stark refusal to accept solid arguments that undermine their positions. Its almost as if reason does not matter and they cling to their position despite it. A recent example is the whole Matt 1:25 thing. The arguments to this point are decisive - this text, in and of itself, does not warrant a conclusion that Mary and Joseph ever had intercourse. The "until always means a state transition" argument has been dissembled with precision and clarity. But this seems to matter not one whit. But there may be further arguments. And that is but one example.

I would like to encourage those who have taken the high ground to stay there. And I encourage the others to take that same route.

At the end of the day, I believe those who use rhetoric may indeed "win" for a day. I am not so naive to think that rhetoric does not sway people - it does.

But I have to believe that sober, careful, and correct arguments determine the long term outcome. There are doubtless lurkers in these forums that are "shopping" for something to believe. I am hopeful that these people, who are not hopelessly trapped in a "my present belief must prevail even if it is proved to be wrong" mindset, can advance in their search despite the braying of the rhetoric merchants.

People who, with humility, accept that life is a 70 year process of correcting mistaken ideas , are the ones who can change the world in the long run.

Galations 5:22-23

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Fnerb said:
Galations 5:22-23

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Great verse and a great reminder....
Now lets take a look at some other scriptures.....

13 “But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut up the kingdom of heaven against men; for you neither go in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in. 14 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you devour widows’ houses, and for a pretense make long prayers. Therefore you will receive greater condemnation.
15 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you travel land and sea to win one proselyte, and when he is won, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves.
16 “Woe to you, blind guides, who say, ‘Whoever swears by the temple, it is nothing; but whoever swears by the gold of the temple, he is obliged to perform it.’ 17 Fools and blind! For which is greater, the gold or the temple that sanctifies the gold? 18 And, ‘Whoever swears by the altar, it is nothing; but whoever swears by the gift that is on it, he is obliged to perform it.’ 19 Fools and blind! For which is greater, the gift or the altar that sanctifies the gift? 20 Therefore he who swears by the altar, swears by it and by all things on it. 21 He who swears by the temple, swears by it and by Him who dwells in it. 22 And he who swears by heaven, swears by the throne of God and by Him who sits on it.
23 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone. 24 Blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!
25 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you cleanse the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of extortion and self-indulgence. 26 Blind Pharisee, first cleanse the inside of the cup and dish, that the outside of them may be clean also.
27 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which indeed appear beautiful outwardly, but inside are full of dead men’s bones and all uncleanness. 28 Even so you also outwardly appear righteous to men, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.
29 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! Because you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous, 30 and say, ‘If we had lived in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.’
31 “Therefore you are witnesses against yourselves that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. 32 Fill up, then, the measure of your fathers’ guilt. 33 Serpents, brood of vipers! How can you escape the condemnation of hell? 34 Therefore, indeed, I send you prophets, wise men, and scribes: some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues and persecute from city to city, 35 that on you may come all the righteous blood shed on the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. 36 Assuredly, I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.

History suggest that the Catholic Church is no different than the scribes and Pharisees....In the very same way that these brood of vipers were controlling the people around them by doing such things like the threat of ex communication from the synagogues, taking away peoples salvation, selling indulgences, their words and interpretations of the scriptures meant more than the words of God....They believed in works in a very legalistic way the same as the CC...So much so that they needed a their own commentary called the Talmud to interpret the Mishna that they also wrote...Sound Familiar?......

A careful examination of the Pharisees will reveal the Catholic church re-packaged, but the same product....

Fnerb....It is against my personal nature to come and be confrontational and I can put up with allot of things....There is much about the CC that I believe is right....But I also believe there are heresis being taught that are harmful to the body of Christ, while most Christians would choose to sit on the fence, ....Jesus never did...In fact none of the apostles sat on the fence....

Simply because the devil has managed to keep the catholic church around for all these years inspight of their history should say allot and this does not make it the right Church....The true Church of Jesus Christ is anyplace that two or more are gathered in ''his'' name....

Think about the corruption of the CC that is still around today....The CC is around today, because the Devil needs it...Praise God that there have indeed been Catholic Christians who as individuals have done great things for God inspight of the fact that they have their own Catholic Church against them....
One such example is Martin Luther......He understood it and he got it!!!!!!

What I have written so far may sound mean and sarcastic and offensive to some, but I have not said anything that has not been taught by the catholics here....Perhaps they uses fancy words and such and write with very pretty speech and perfect grammar....Something I am admittingly not smart enough to do....It is hard enough for me to write in English as it is...Thank God for spell checkers...even though I forget to use it most of the time...

Drew said:
But I have to believe that sober, careful, and correct arguments determine the long term outcome. There are doubtless lurkers in these forums that are "shopping" for something to believe. I am hopeful that these people, who are not hopelessly trapped in a "my present belief must prevail even if it is proved to be wrong" mindset, can advance in their search despite the braying of the rhetoric merchants.

Drew
I agree with this....people should know and be taught the truth....

jgredline said:
Great verse and a great reminder....
Now lets take a look at some other scriptures.....

13 “But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut up the kingdom of heaven against men; for you neither go in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in. 14 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you devour widows’ houses, and for a pretense make long prayers. Therefore you will receive greater condemnation.
15 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you travel land and sea to win one proselyte, and when he is won, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves.
16 “Woe to you, blind guides, who say, ‘Whoever swears by the temple, it is nothing; but whoever swears by the gold of the temple, he is obliged to perform it.’ 17 Fools and blind! For which is greater, the gold or the temple that sanctifies the gold? 18 And, ‘Whoever swears by the altar, it is nothing; but whoever swears by the gift that is on it, he is obliged to perform it.’ 19 Fools and blind! For which is greater, the gift or the altar that sanctifies the gift? 20 Therefore he who swears by the altar, swears by it and by all things on it. 21 He who swears by the temple, swears by it and by Him who dwells in it. 22 And he who swears by heaven, swears by the throne of God and by Him who sits on it.
23 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone. 24 Blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!
25 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you cleanse the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of extortion and self-indulgence. 26 Blind Pharisee, first cleanse the inside of the cup and dish, that the outside of them may be clean also.
27 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which indeed appear beautiful outwardly, but inside are full of dead men’s bones and all uncleanness. 28 Even so you also outwardly appear righteous to men, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.
29 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! Because you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous, 30 and say, ‘If we had lived in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.’
31 “Therefore you are witnesses against yourselves that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. 32 Fill up, then, the measure of your fathers’ guilt. 33 Serpents, brood of vipers! How can you escape the condemnation of hell? 34 Therefore, indeed, I send you prophets, wise men, and scribes: some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues and persecute from city to city, 35 that on you may come all the righteous blood shed on the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. 36 Assuredly, I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.

History suggest that the Catholic Church is no different than the scribes and Pharisees....In the very same way that these brood of vipers were controlling the people around them by doing such things like the threat of ex communication from the synagogues, taking away peoples salvation, selling indulgences, their words and interpretations of the scriptures meant more than the words of God....They believed in works in a very legalistic way the same as the CC...So much so that they needed a their own commentary called the Talmud to interpret the Mishna that they also wrote...Sound Familiar?......

A careful examination of the Pharisees will reveal the Catholic church re-packaged, but the same product....

Fnerb....It is against my personal nature to come and be confrontational and I can put up with allot of things....There is much about the CC that I believe is right....But I also believe there are heresis being taught that are harmful to the body of Christ, while most Christians would choose to sit on the fence, ....Jesus never did...In fact none of the apostles sat on the fence....

Simply because the devil has managed to keep the catholic church around for all these years inspight of their history should say allot and this does not make it the right Church....The true Church of Jesus Christ is anyplace that two or more are gathered in ''his'' name....

Think about the corruption of the CC that is still around today....The CC is around today, because the Devil needs it...Praise God that there have indeed been Catholic Christians who as individuals have done great things for God inspight of the fact that they have their own Catholic Church against them....
One such example is Martin Luther......He understood it and he got it!!!!!!

What I have written so far may sound mean and sarcastic and offensive to some, but I have not said anything that has not been taught by the catholics here....Perhaps they uses fancy words and such and write with very pretty speech and perfect grammar....Something I am admittingly not smart enough to do....It is hard enough for me to write in English as it is...Thank God for spell checkers...even though I forget to use it most of the time...

I find it sad that the catholics are more hurt when they are insulted rather than when the Word of God is challenged. Selfish anger comes when we ourselves are insulted. But righteous anger comes when God is insulted, as Jesus showed us by his actions in the temple.

So no, it doesn't matter it the catholics are insulted. If they don't want to be insulted, then they need to stop insulting God by disobeying His Word. :x

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back