Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Creation and Evolution Presentation

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
F

felix

Hi all,

I want a honest "Biblical review" of the presentation regarding creation and evolution - which is one of the reasons I posted in "Focus on Scripture" forum. This presentation is primarily focused on people who doubt God and His Creation based on scientific evidences. This presentation is not about explaining biblical events scientifically but rather, trying to explain scientific observations Biblically. The presentation does not have anything contradicting to any scientific observations. However, it does disagrees with most of the scientific explanations and provides the Biblical version for those observations.

View attachment 3535

Feel free to post critiques esp., the verses if I had misunderstood but please don't turn into a debate. If you like this presentation, feel free to use it as your own, and hopefully some souls can turn to Christ.

Edit: I started a parallel thread in Christianity and Science forum if anyone wishes to discuss the science part of it.
Thread Link: http://www.christianforums.net/showthread.php?t=54693

Last edited by a moderator:
Felix - Would be interested in reading your presentation but I am unable to open .zip files. Do you have a word file?

[MENTION=87122]felix[/MENTION] It sounds like you put a lot of thought into this, I downloaded it and will check it out when I can. Thanks for sharing it here.

Hi all,

I want a honest "Biblical review" of the presentation regarding creation and evolution - which is one of the reasons I posted in "Focus on Scripture" forum. This presentation is primarily focused on people who doubt God and His Creation based on scientific evidences. This presentation is not about explaining biblical events scientifically but rather, trying to explain scientific observations Biblically. The presentation does not have anything contradicting to any scientific observations. However, it does disagrees with most of the scientific explanations and provides the Biblical version for those observations.

View attachment 4658

Feel free to post critiques esp., the verses if I had misunderstood but please don't turn into a debate. If you like this presentation, feel free to use it as your own, and hopefully some souls can turn to Christ.
Curious if you have ever looked into a non literal interpretation of the Genesis Creation Account. I honestly don't have any idea how you can say that God created man 6,000 years ago when you affirm Carbon and Radiometric Dating, which surely indicates the arrival of Homo Sapiens about 200,000 years ago.

I don't think I could really engage on the Scripture with you with any meaningful content until we address those presuppositions.

Curious if you have ever looked into a non literal interpretation of the Genesis Creation Account. I honestly don't have any idea how you can say that God created man 6,000 years ago when you affirm Carbon and Radiometric Dating, which surely indicates the arrival of Homo Sapiens about 200,000 years ago.

I don't think I could really engage on the Scripture with you with any meaningful content until we address those presuppositions.

Carbon dating or Radiometric Dating actually don't say anything about the arrival of humans (created by God in His image 6000 years back). The humans (or descendants of Adam and Eve) according to the Bible created by God have "birth pains" (for females), which is the biggest clue "the curse from God" for Eve and females to classify descendants of Adam and Eve who are created in the image of God from other pollution of sons of God/fallen angels (if any - which the Bible is silent). Consider neanderthal for example: They are said to have pain but their birth process is simple and not as complicated as humans (Ref: Neandertals Babies Didn't Do the Twist). Homo erectus also did not have birth pain as painful as humans and their pelvis is 30% larger (Ref: Painful Labor: A Modern Thing). Hence, human like creations who were living before Adam and Eve may have been the Nephelim version with human like animals (e.g, apes) by sons of God or fallen angels. They could even be a normal creation of God just like Apes and Chimpanzees. Till date humans females are the only creations with birth pains and it is said to be a recent thing. Due to lack pelvis in fossils, we can't be sure when birth pain started.

Bible is clear on the subject that any female (in that kind created by God) who don't have the current process of birth having intense birth pains (curse by God) are not descendants of Adam and Eve (not created in the image of God).

Wherever the Bible is silent, I tried to explain the best possibility for such observations using Biblical facts. All I want to make sure is those possibilities and other explanations provided must not contradict other Bible facts. I am happy to make revisions if anything contradicts Bible.

Carbon dating or Radiometric Dating actually don't say anything about the arrival of humans (created by God in His image 6000 years back). The humans (or descendants of Adam and Eve) according to the Bible created by God have "birth pains" (for females), which is the biggest clue "the curse from God" for Eve and females to classify descendants of Adam and Eve who are created in the image of God from other pollution of sons of God/fallen angels (if any - which the Bible is silent). Consider neanderthal for example: They are said to have pain but their birth process is simple and not as complicated as humans (Ref: Neandertals Babies Didn't Do the Twist). Homo erectus also did not have birth pain as painful as humans and their pelvis is 30% larger (Ref: Painful Labor: A Modern Thing). Hence, human like creations who were living before Adam and Eve may have been the Nephelim version with human like animals (e.g, apes) by sons of God or fallen angels. They could even be a normal creation of God just like Apes and Chimpanzees. Till date humans females are the only creations with birth pains and it is said to be a recent thing. Due to lack pelvis in fossils, we can't be sure when birth pain started.

Bible is clear on the subject that any female (in that kind created by God) who don't have the current process of birth having intense birth pains (curse by God) are not descendants of Adam and Eve (not created in the image of God).

Wherever the Bible is silent, I tried to explain the best possibility for such observations using Biblical facts. All I want to make sure is those possibilities and other explanations provided must not contradict other Bible facts. I am happy to make revisions if anything contradicts Bible.
I would love to give you my opinion on everything you just said, but as the Bible is silent on such, I would only be appealing to what we have discovered through science which is substantial. Perhaps you would like to take this discussion to a different forum?

I started a parallel thread here to avoid discussing science in "Focus on Scripture" forum.

Please discuss the science here in this thread, [Moderator Edit --> removed link; thread now closed]: and the Biblical analysis on [FoS Forum] the thread on Focus on Scripture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting video. Not sure about watching it. I just listened to it.

[video=youtube;Gjvuwne0RrE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjvuwne0RrE[/video]

Turnorburn wrote:
Every science class i attended in school used science to teach a humanistic world view and from what i know about humanism it is diametrically opposed to faith, humanism is a religion, Satan style.. the theory of evolution is totally humanistic.

"There can be no humanism without the Gospels."
Karl Barth

Humanism was a Christian movement that provided the intellectual and spiritual foundation for the Protestant and Catholic reformations. It is the notion that God is revealed in His relationship with us.

Erasmus, the "Prince of the Humanists", is typical of the Humanistic movement in Christianity:
He began writing in around 1500, on both theological and secular subjects. All his work displays his huge learning and intellectual brilliance, but also his humanity and wit. Many of his early works attacked corruption and superstition in the church and his famous satire 'The Praise of Folie' (1509), dedicated to his English friend Thomas More, advocated a return to a more simple Christianity. He translated and edited many classical and early Christian works and also published a critical edition of the Greek text of the New Testament which drew on newly available sources and was immensely influential. It symbolised the humanist desire to return to the sources of the Christian tradition.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_figures/erasmus.shtml

"Secular Humanism" is an oxymoron. Those who attack Humanism are ignoring the roots of Christian faith. Erasmus and his fellows built on the piety and simple faith of quietism, like that of Thomas a Kempis. His An Imitation of Christ strongly influenced the Humanists, although many Humanists advocated a Christian life more involved with service to others, and a concern for rooting out corruption in the church.

Don't abandon one of the greatest Christian philosophies to atheists.

Evolutionary theory has nothing whatever to do with either sort of humanism.

It merely explains the phenomenon of evolution, without drawing any moral or theological conclusions, much as chemistry explains the interaction of valence electrons, without making any conclusions about moral or theological issues.

Not sure why.. I re-uploaded it as a pdf document.

View attachment 4665

Thank you for the PDFs. Just a few questions for clarification. You note that the sun, etc. were created on Day 4 according to Gen. 1:16 so would you interpret day 4, 5, and 6 as 24 hour days? How do you justify Gen. 1:11 prior to Gen. 1:16? What verses in Genesis do you base your belief in evolution upon? Thanks............

You said in the other thread:

Carbon dating or Radiometric Dating actually don't say anything about the arrival of humans (created by God in His image 6000 years back).
This is expressly false and I wonder where you heard this from? We use Carbon 14 Dating in determining the rate of decay in organic materials, all living things intake a certain amount of Carbon 14 isotopes and upon dying cease to create these isotopes and the decay process begins at what can be calculated as the half life. By then measuring the rate of decay by comparing the parent to daughter isotope ratio we can determine how old the sample is.

We use Carbon 14 Dating on Homo Sapien fossils (including their tools, etc.) up to about 60,000 years ago.

We also use a technique called Thermo-luminescence and other related methods that measure the amount of electrons that get stored up inside of a rock or tooth, etc. over time. There are many other reliable dating techniques that we can use to determine when these fossils came about and even more when you unlock the key of evolution and examine biochronology and the Molecular Clock.

These dating techniques when applied to the fossil remains of the Homo neanderthalensis have been found to date back to perhaps over 500,000 years ago as a subspecies of the Genus Homo, a population that migrated North to Europe and then evolved to be carnivorous hominids with a brain almost as advanced as anatomically modern humans. There is simply no interpretation of the data which can even be more reliably dated to 32,000 years ago that this species was 1) from a close ancestry as the Homo Sapiens, namely from the Homo heidelbergensis, but 2) do not coincide with the arrival of Homo Sapiens but predate them.

You also said:

The humans (or descendants of Adam and Eve) according to the Bible created by God have "birth pains" (for females), which is the biggest clue "the curse from God" for Eve and females to classify descendants of Adam and Eve who are created in the image of God from other pollution of sons of God/fallen angels (if any - which the Bible is silent). Consider neanderthal for example: They are said to have pain but their birth process is simple and not as complicated as humans (Ref: Neandertals Babies Didn't Do the Twist). Homo erectus also did not have birth pain as painful as humans and their pelvis is 30% larger (Ref: Painful Labor: A Modern Thing).
This is another problem I have with Creationism in that it hijacks any and all "favorable" discoveries in science and immediately tries to twist it (unlike Neanderthals) into their dogma. Observations like these are not only highly speculative, but they are proven false by the fact that the interpretation of it occurring within the last 6,000 years is blatantly erroneous. Homo sapiens evolved separately from the Homo neanderthalensis and thus are not expected to have similar modes of birth, this is not evidence of some curse.

Not only that, but how do you explain the Homo heidelbergensis or the Australopithecus afarensis or the Australopithecus africanus, these are distinctly related to Homo sapiens (their ancestors) yet would not fit within your interpretation.

Hence, human like creations who were living before Adam and Eve may have been the Nephelim version with human like animals (e.g, apes) by sons of God or fallen angels. They could even be a normal creation of God just like Apes and Chimpanzees. Till date humans females are the only creations with birth pains and it is said to be a recent thing. Due to lack pelvis in fossils, we can't be sure when birth pain started.
Excuse me but other animals do feel birth pains, but they are not as strong as Homo sapiens for a few reasons.

1. The birthing canal must be more narrow for us because we walk upright.
2. Humans have the largest brain and thus a big head from birth in proportion to their body.

Combining a narrow canal and a big head and an advanced central nervous system in the mother capable of exquisite pain and you get a really painful birth.

This to me is a very odd conclusion, would this thus result in women who take Epidurals as not being created in the image of God? I also find it odd that you take such a drastic interpretation off of the transliterated word Nephilim which has been notoriously difficult to define and figure out.

This is the very problem with your system, you take what science has to say ONLY so long as it does not contradict your dogma. You seem to exclude yourself from the possibility that the text in question is metaphorical in nature rather than a literal narrative and thereby give yourself a confirmation bias as to the data coming in. Carbon 14 Dating MUST not be applicable to ancient hominid fossils because it would be a detriment to your constructed beliefs.

This is the kind of faith that if widely promoted would lead to countless Christians falling away if indeed they did study seriously what modern science has discovered. In order to believe it one has to become so completely convinced of their rightness that they shut them selves off to all other data and interpretations that are indeed superior.

There is no scientific conspiracy, I don't embrace evolution because I want to just go off on sin, I embrace evolution as a devoted follower of Jesus Christ and say to you as other Christians would... Don't doom yourself to believing something that is flatly false, stake your hope on Christ, not on a liberal interpretation of Genesis. One of those is a sure foundation, the other has long since been eroded.

[MENTION=96193]Doulos Iesou[/MENTION], I did not contradict any scientific observations. Most of your question in my opinion "assume" the explanation provided by science is correct. As I already mentioned, this presentation is not about discussing any scientific explanations but providing Biblical explanations for scientific observations. I want you to exclude any scientific explanations but post only observations.

[MENTION=96193]Doulos Iesou[/MENTION], I did not contradict any scientific observations.
I'm sorry felix, but that simply is not true. Your findings are contradicted by the various dating techniques as I mentioned in my last post. Simply stating "it does not contradict" does not demonstrate anything if you do not contend with the scientific observations that do indeed confirm that these fossils predate 6,000 years ago.

Most of your question in my opinion "assume" the explanation provided by science is correct.
These aren't assumptions rather there is widely documented evidence for them accepted by all Paleontologists. Carbon 14 Dating and other Radiometric Dating techniques are not speculative work, they have mathematical equations demonstrating the half life of that isotope and accurately measuring the rate of decay.

As I already mentioned, this presentation is not about discussing any scientific explanations but providing Biblical explanations for scientific observations.
It's simply picking and choosing different scientific observations while ignoring those that contradict it to formulate a theory based on a literal interpretation of Genesis. I have pointed out to you in my response the scientific observations (namely that the various fossils of hominids predate 6,000 years ago) to show that they do not fit with your explanation.

I want you to exclude any scientific explanations but post only observations.
In my response to you I not only talked about the observations, but also HOW we are able to observe them.

Care to talk about my remarks about Carbon 14 Dating or Thermo-luminescence.

Some years ago they took a living snail and carbon tested it the resulting test said the snail was 5000 years old, it was something like this:

Living snails were carbon-14 dated at 2,300 and 27,000 years old, showing that the dating method is invalid..

Humanism will stop at nothing to discredit the almighty, when they find these "bumps in the road" they introduce another scientist to try and smooth things out.. It boils down to a "whose side are you on"

tob

Some years ago they took a living snail and carbon tested it the resulting test said the snail was 5000 years old, it was something like this:

Living snails were carbon-14 dated at 2,300 and 27,000 years old, showing that the dating method is invalid..
This disproves nothing, nor does it appreciate the intricacies of the Carbon Dating technique.

Carbon 14 Dating can provide erroneous dates for a few reasons.

1. Our estimation of the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is off, this will likely not result in a huge amount of differentiation.
2. The testing of the sample did not take into account climate considerations.
3. The testing of the sample may not have considered the effects of a volcanic eruption.
4. Most likely in this erroneous dates we find that the sample is contaminated.

As well as a few others which Paleontologists are well aware of and very honest about.

Creationists often neglect these and jump right to an ill founded conclusion, "the whole of radiometric dating ought to be tossed out." Without considering that if we erred in our approximate of the initial amount of parent isotopes in a sample then our rate of decay will be in error, or if an old sample is contaminated with modern Carbon it can drastically alter it's date. Thus explaining why a snail that was from 27,000 years ago might appear to have been 2,300 years ago, or vise versa.

Though you mentioned that this test was run on living snails and I would like to see documentation of that study, Creationist pseudoscience has often produced erroneous evidence to attack substantiated science.

Humanism will stop at nothing to discredit the almighty,
You're talking to a Christian who has no desire to discredit God, is it not written that we should delight in the truth. That's what I am concerned with.

when they find these "bumps in the road" they introduce another scientist to try and smooth things out.. It boils down to a "whose side are you on"
Actually it doesn't, what matters is, "what does the evidence say." And as a Christian we can appreciate the evidence honestly just like anyone else.

Humanism will stop at nothing to discredit the almighty, when they find these "bumps in the road" they introduce another scientist to try and smooth things out.. It boils down to a "whose side are you on"

tob
I actually did a little search on that quote and it originates from Kent Hovind, a famous YEC defender who is notorious for misuing scientific observations to support his dogma.

I recommend reading this:

"The source of the 2,300-year-old radiocarbon date (Keith and Anderson 1963, discussed by Strahler 1987, 156-157), has been abused and misused to discredit radiocarbon dating. The article discussed the potential errors that the presence of "dead carbon" would introduce into the dating of mollusks. For example, carbon dioxide in the water can partially come from Paleozoic limestone, which lacks carbon-14. As a result, the carbon dioxide in the water is deficient in carbon-14 relative to the atmosphere, and mollusks living in the water build shells that give apparent dates older than they really are. This is a type of "reservoir effect."

The 27,000 year old date comes from Riggs (1984, 224), who wrote:
Carbon-14 contents as low as 3.3 +/- 0.2 percent modern (apparent age, 27,000 years) measured from the shells of snails Melanoides tuberculatus living in artesian springs in southern Nevada are attributed to fixation of dissolved HCO3- with which the shells are in carbon isotope equilibrium.
In other words, the apparent age of 27,000 years for these snail shells is another example of the reservoir effect. The springs, from which the snails came, were fed by carbonate aquifers. As this water percolated through the enclosing carbonates, it dissolved limestone and dolomite hundreds of millions of years old. The dissolution of limestone and dolomite introduced considerable quantities of "dead carbon" into the groundwater. As a result, the groundwater which fed the spring and in which the snails lived was significantly deficient in carbon-14 relative to what is found in the atmosphere. When the snails made their shells, they incorporated an excess amount of "dead carbon," relative to modern atmosphere, into their shells, which resulted in the excessively old apparent date.

Contrary to the complaints of creationists, conventional scientists are well aware of this problem. They test for it and take it into account when interpreting radiocarbon data. In cases where corrections for presence of dead carbon cannot be made, such dates are readily recognized as erroneous and can be safely disregarded. This is not the fatal flaw to radiometric dating that some creationists claim it to be. It just shows that dates from mollusks from streams and lakes need to be carefully evaluated as to their reliability. Other materials, such as wood, charcoal, bone, and hide, would remain unaffected by this type of reservoir effect. If found with shells in the same layer, these materials could be dated to determine if shells are locally affected by the reservoir effect and, if so, how much their radiocarbon dates have been skewed by it."

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CD/CD011_3.html

There are many other reliable dating techniques that we can use to determine when these fossils came about and even more when you unlock the key of evolution and examine biochronology and the Molecular Clock.
These dating techniques when applied to the fossil remains of the Homo neanderthalensis have been found to date back to perhaps over 500,000 years ago as a subspecies of the Genus Homo, a population that migrated North to Europe and then evolved to be carnivorous hominids with a brain almost as advanced as anatomically modern humans.

Greetings Doulos Iesou! It seems to me there are some assumptions there relevant to the discussion. I wonder if you are willing to at least entertain the idea those assumptions could be wrong? Or would a discussion be fruitless?

Regardless of how long ago or evolution, this question is simply to anyone who sees Genesis as a parable, how did language originate?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back