Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Day care and/or preschool.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
P

Pale^Rider**

How do you deal (within yourself) one of your children going to pre-school or daycare all day for the first time ever? My youngest child turns two on Dec. 26th. He will have to either go to preschool or nursery school for the first time ever as my wife is taking a job after about 3-4 years at home with my 5-year old. My eight year old was in nursery school from about the age of 2 1/2 and handled it ok. My five year old had a hard time going to K5 due to his being at home with mom with the exception of 3 half-day pre-school days.
Anyway, I'm dreading it.....I can't stand the thought of one of my children being sad and not understanding where he is or where his parents are......how do you handle turning points like these in the lives of your family?

Pale^Rider** said:
How do you deal (within yourself) one of your children going to pre-school or daycare all day for the first time ever? My youngest child turns two on Dec. 26th. He will have to either go to preschool or nursery school for the first time ever as my wife is taking a job after about 3-4 years at home with my 5-year old. My eight year old was in nursery school from about the age of 2 1/2 and handled it ok. My five year old had a hard time going to K5 due to his being at home with mom with the exception of 3 half-day pre-school days.
Anyway, I'm dreading it.....I can't stand the thought of one of my children being sad and not understanding where he is or where his parents are......how do you handle turning points like these in the lives of your family?

Awwwww...I know how you feel. I cried the first time each of my kids went to school for the first time. Then I cried again when they both went.

More than likely, your son will be fine. It may take a while for him to adjust though. As for you, make sure to talk with your son about how he feels AND about how you feel. Open lines of communication are so important. I'm sure you will be fine. Who knows, you may see your son blossom, make friends and really enjoy preschool! That alone should make you feel good. Anytime your child is happy, it makes you happy. :biggrin

Yeah....I know it will probably help him blossom. It's just that I'm the biggest baby out of them all. My daughter is 8 and she has always done fine, but my five-year old son has always seemed to have a tough time fitting in at the beginning. He will go to a new school in January to finish 5K and I'm scared to death for him. As far as my baby, he turns 2 tomorrow and its killing me to know that he has to deal with what my others have endured. This one has been the worst to deal with.......I'm a 35-year old man.....and I actually shed tears over this....what a baby, huh?
I guess this is another one of those things that you have to give to God and let Him hold their hands, huh?

Pale^Rider** said:
Yeah....I know it will probably help him blossom. It's just that I'm the biggest baby out of them all. My daughter is 8 and she has always done fine, but my five-year old son has always seemed to have a tough time fitting in at the beginning. He will go to a new school in January to finish 5K and I'm scared to death for him. As far as my baby, he turns 2 tomorrow and its killing me to know that he has to deal with what my others have endured. This one has been the worst to deal with.......I'm a 35-year old man.....and I actually shed tears over this....what a baby, huh?
I guess this is another one of those things that you have to give to God and let Him hold their hands, huh?

You are not a baby AT ALL. I admire men that cry. It shows they they have true feelings. My husband has cried MANY times over our girls. I remember when they were babies, he would rock them and bust out crying saying that he just loved them so much. Moments like that touched me deeply because I knew that my girls would have a wonderful daddy. And they do. He still occasionally cries over certain things with them. You sound a lot like him. It gets easier though. Your son AND YOU will both be fine I'm sure.

Just pray for God to be by your childs side. :angel:

I will and I do. Every night I pray over my children.....I actually lay my hands on them and ask for God's blessings and protection for them.
I really must be alot like your husband, because I've been caught, on several occassions, just crying and holding them beause I love them so much. I get so depressed about their growing up....these truly are supposed to be the happiest times, but I find myself depressed because of the dread of the inevitable. I guess I need to realize that they don't belong to me.....they belong to God.

BTW- Thanks for talking with me about this......how old are your girls? My only girl is 8 (she's more mature than I am) and then I have two boys, 5 & 2.....they're my two best friends in this whole world.

My girls are 5 and 6. They are stinkers too! :lol:

Enjoy life with your children because I'm sure you know just how fast they grow up. And yes, you remind me a LOT of my husband. I can see just how much you love your children.

Do you ever get depressed about yours growing up too fast?
or that it seems like we have to work and them in school way too much?
It effects me to the point that I'm so sad when I have them that I can't enjoy them. I've been praying for God to deliver me from this, because I truly love holding them and having them to play with and hang out with.....

Of course I get depressed about them growing up so fast. I can't even remember a lot about them when they were babies. Thankfully we had a video camera right after we got married, so we have their entire lives on tape.

As for them in school. I'll be truthful and say that I ENJOY them being in school. It's a break for me. I'm in school now also. But, I do a lot of volunteering at their school, so it's neat being able to be part of their classrooms occasionally.

I've been a stay-at-home mom since my first was born and the break when they're in school is really nice. It also gives me time to work on my schoolwork without interruptions. Plus they fight non-stop! The few hours that I don't have to listen to them fight is music to my ears!
:lol:

Heh, heh.....you sound like my wife. Since I work all day.....I can't wait to get home to them, and since she's been a stay at home mom for about 5 years....she can't wait to push them off to school and can't wait to go somewhere on weekends......I can't wait to stay at home on weekends.
We go in opposite directions.....but, since we've moved to a new town where we have to send our kids to private school....my wife is preparing to go back to work. We'll see then, how bad she wants to "hit the road" on weekends.

Anyway, I just don't want to be a parent that didn't enjoy their kids.....and really have a tough time dealing with their growing up later in life.....I want to spend as much quality time as I can with them.......

Pale^Rider** said:
how do you handle turning points like these in the lives of your family?
Your on a ride that you can't get off. Wait till you experience empty nest syndrome.

Rez, I'm already dreading it....my kids are only 8,5,and 2....and I already wonder how I will handle it........I'm such a baby.....

btw- my 5 year old cried so hard going into his new school today......I can't wait to go pick him up.........

Not well....My 5-year old has cried each morning for the last 3 days. My 8-yr old little girl loves the new school....but my boy doesn't. He doesn't respond well to change and new stuff, so of course it gets me so upset. But, this morning i had to do that tough love thing.....to get him in there....man, that upsets me so bad.....at least I didn't cry this morning after i dropped him off :oops:

Awwwwww.....give him time to adjust. I know that I had always stayed home with my mom and she decided to get a job. It lasted 2 days... :lol:

But, if she had given me more time, I think I would have been fine. I don't really remember it. Once he makes friends and adjusts, he may be perfectly happy.

Well, praise God, he didn't cry this morning at all........his name is Case by the way....and boy was i proud. He just has a tough time with adjustments, i'm the same way.......
Of course, i do have to buy him a hotwheels though......

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back