Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Disappointed with Teachers

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Angel

Do you ever feel disappointed when Teachers of the Word make mistakes?
Like Joyce Meyer- I love her! and I look up to her. She shared on a broadcast about a mistake she made and I got disappointed. I put her on a pedestal because she is so sincere and true in her faith. She is a strong woman. I realize that she is very much human... I just was a little sad.

Anyone else ever feel this way? Or has it happened to you?

I actually feel empowered when a teacher or a person in a prominent position, has the guts to admit they were wrong. It shows that they are not only human and like, but by being honest about their mistakes, they lead by example teaching both honesty and humility.

I don't take any human teacher too seriously although there are some I respect more than others.

1Co 1:12-15 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. (13) Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? (14) I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; (15) Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.

People often appoint themselves as Pastor these days imo but in saying that even the Christ appointed can make mistakes.

I love Joyce Meyer, she is really an inspirational person and I think that she can teach fellow Christians the true word of God. It's a credit to hear her preach knowing what she has gone through in her life.

:dancing

I think she has a ministry that most people wouldn't dare get into. What she shares about her childhood needs to be heard. Talk about a person who should have ended up on the unsaved, hopelessly lost list.
I don't hardly ever listen to her but when she has come on my husband listens. He likes her because she is strong and he admires her testimony of the Lord's intervention in her life.

I'm like Paul1965, in that I feel better with people who can admit they make mistakes. Everyone does so in admitting one has, they are showing honesty and true caring for the people they minister, too.

I don't care for her. I have read one of her books and listened to her years ago. no pastor is infallible.
I don't care for Joyce Meyer either. In fact, I wouldn't let her bring her preaching into my home. She is a prosperity preacher if I ever saw one - her focus is convincing people to send her their hard earned money telling them they will be showered with riches. In the meantime she gladly takes all the money people send her and buys her and her family excessive homes, cars, trips etc.

1John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

At least she can admit when she makes a mistake and that does show she is only human. How many other teachers would admit to making a mistake in their teaching. If we are following just the person accepting everything they teach without searching the scriptures for ourselves by allowing the Holy Spirit confirm that of truth or error then we allow ourselves to be deceived in what we hear.

since she was brought up. in America and the west in general one must cheat, lie and steal to get wealthy. so we should pray for wealth as that is the system we must work in. if one is honest one will suffer money loss, if god gives you money so be it. but not all of us are that talented to get there and blessed by god. things for some are too much temptation. while im not greedy by nature, im still able to fail in that area.

I dont care for the Joyce Myers type of teaching... Personally i dont know the lady....

Our daughter who is a drugy trying to overcome that whole life style likes her and her teaching... I say thank You Lord for Joyce Myers..:)

Isa_55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

I dont care for the Joyce Myers type of teaching... Personally i dont know the lady....

Our daughter who is a drugy trying to overcome that whole life style likes her and her teaching... I say thank You Lord for Joyce Myers..:)

Isa_55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
thus saith pastor Hitch.

Like Joyce Meyer- I love her! and I look up to her. She shared on a broadcast about a mistake she made and I got disappointed. I put her on a pedestal because she is so sincere and true in her faith. She is a strong woman. I realize that she is very much human... I just was a little sad.

Anyone else ever feel this way? Or has it happened to you?
Joyce letting us know she makes mistakes is great ... to not share she is only human would be the greater mistake...

It's probably one of the more unpleasant things in life seeing your role models fail your expectation (and their own values). But it's an experience we all go through (and more than once) and it's a chance to grow in our own Christian walk: understanding that no mere human is perfect (assuming perfection and flawlessness in a human teacher would be like putting them in God's place - and that'd be blasphemy) and learning to see others in a their entire complexity instead of black or white. Also, it's a good chance to practice forgiveness.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of Joyce Meyer. She's probably a great woman, I just don't like her writing style.
However, like others have said in this thread admitting one's own mistakes is a sign of greatness, repentance and spiritual strength. Would have been a lot worse if the mistake she made had been revealed to the public by somebody else and she'd tried to hide it. But she didn't. She made a mistake - that's human. And then she dealt with it in a commendable way, she admitted it and hopefully learned from it. That's sounds to me like it's a reason to admire her, not a reason to be disappointed in her.

I don't know much about Joyce but I can relate. I liked Mike T. on focus on the family and was disappointed to see him go.
I can be inspired by teachers admitting mistakes but I am also inspired by reading about people who have lived incredible lives for God.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back