Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Do you "pirate" content? What are your opinions on "pirating" ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Skillet

Just thought I'd start a thread about this!

Definition of piracy/pirating: To make use of or reproduce (another's work) without authorization.

I do it sometimes, more than that's actually good.. Usually I only do it with music, but so now and then a movie. Usually I just watch movies online, but if I download the movie I can watch it on our big screen which is nicer. :thumbsup

Definition of piracy/pirating: To make use of or reproduce (another's work) without authorization.

I do it sometimes, more than that's actually good.. Usually I only do it with music, but so now and then a movie. Usually I just watch movies online, but if I download the movie I can watch it on our big screen which is nicer. :thumbsup

When I was a teenager, back in the last quarter of the 20th century, I was, indeed, guilty of pillaging, looting and otherwise pirating copyrighted music. I knew it was wrong, but I managed to find a way of justifying it. I lived in a small town that had only one small Christian book store, which had only very few Christian records. (For you young folks, records are those big black CD's you may have seen pictures of. Ask your grandparents and maybe they can show you some.) Because of the small size of the book store and the small number of Christians, there was usually only one of each record available. Whoever bought a certain record would make copies of it for his friends on cassette tapes (ask your grandparents). The way I figured it was that since I was unable to buy the record legally, nobody was really losing any money. Also, I intended to buy those records I had copies of if I ever got the chance.

I don't make illegal copies of music any more. There is more Christian book stores where I live today and each has more music available than that one store 30 years ago. Also, today I have the Internet and can purchase whatever I want to, so I have no excuse for pirating any more.

Making copies of otherwise unavailable music (the same would apply to movies) might be excusable, but nobody with access to the Internet and a credit card can really claim that excuse. Illegally downloading copyright protected works simply because you don't want to pay for them is a clear violation of the law and is therefore something Christians should not do.
The TOG

When I was a teenager, back in the last quarter of the 20th century, I was, indeed, guilty of pillaging, looting and otherwise pirating copyrighted music. I knew it was wrong, but I managed to find a way of justifying it. I lived in a small town that had only one small Christian book store, which had only very few Christian records. (For you young folks, records are those big black CD's you may have seen pictures of. Ask your grandparents and maybe they can show you some.) Because of the small size of the book store and the small number of Christians, there was usually only one of each record available. Whoever bought a certain record would make copies of it for his friends on cassette tapes (ask your grandparents). The way I figured it was that since I was unable to buy the record legally, nobody was really losing any money. Also, I intended to buy those records I had copies of if I ever got the chance.

I don't make illegal copies of music any more. There is more Christian book stores where I live today and each has more music available than that one store 30 years ago. Also, today I have the Internet and can purchase whatever I want to, so I have no excuse for pirating any more.

Making copies of otherwise unavailable music (the same would apply to movies) might be excusable, but nobody with access to the Internet and a credit card can really claim that excuse. Illegally downloading copyright protected works simply because you don't want to pay for them is a clear violation of the law and is therefore something Christians should not do.
The TOG

Haha I know what cassette tapes are man, we used to always have those playing in the car back in the days.. (8 years ago but oh well) :lol

Yeah I agree it's not a very Christian like thing to do, and I do feel guilty about it, but at the moment where I live our visa is temporary, meaning I can't work yet and can't earn money. If I had the money, I would buy the music, but I still want to listen to music, without music it's so boring, especially on bus trips to school, I spend about 2 hours on the bus each day and just staring out of the window for the whole 2 hours gets boring after a while.

Josh

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back