Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

DOES GOD HEAR OUR PRAYERS

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
S

Smith3637

In the Christmas classic, It's A Wonderful Life, the movie starts out with the hero in dire straits and almost an entire town praying for him. The opening scene shows stars in the sky while we hear the prayers of the townspeople rising up to heaven. God answers those prayers by sending an angel down to Earth to help the hero. From there a touching story unfolds about the many ways that a good person influences the lives of those around him. Although it isn't the main point of the movie - we all get to see God taking an active role in our lives by answering the prayers of the townspeople.

But It's A Wonderful Life is only a movie. In real life we rarely see how God answers prayers. Prayers are so personal that we rarely ever discuss them. By keeping silent though we lose the opportunity to share some of the real wonders of our lives - the answers to our prayers. Some of the greatest moments in my life have been when I've believed that one of my prayers was answered in a very direct manner.

I had an experience 20 years ago that changed the course of my life. It happened in the space of a heartbeat but changed my life completely.

Although I felt at home in the church I had been attending for 7 years I did not feel close to God. I could feel God's presence - but I felt apart from Him. It was very frustrating. I could see God at work in other peoples' lives but not in my own. I began to feel jealous of others and angry with God. Then something happened.

I was walking on the beach one day when I saw a man about my own age playing in the water with another man who was obviously mentally handicapped. As the day wore on I kept looking at them playing together and I grew angry that the one man could be such a good person. I couldn't fathom how someone could be so good as to genuinely enjoy playing all day with a mentally handicapped man. Finally, in my utter frustration, I wished that both men would drown and I cursed God for allowing me to see the good in others but not the good within myself. I decided then and there that religion was either a form of self delusion and that God did not exist or, if He did exist, that He did not listen to our prayers or care about us as individuals.

A few weeks went by. I stopped praying and I stopped going to church. Then, one afternoon I got an answer (I hadn't really thought that I had asked a question). In the space of a heartbeat the answer was just there. "I do not allow you to see the good in others to frustrate you. I allow you to see me at work in others lives to inspire you. I do not keep myself apart from you. I am always with you. It is you who keeps yourself apart from me. Open your heart. There are as many ways to draw close to me as there are people on the Earth. Be patient - you will find your way."

The perspective of my life shifted back then and my life has been immeasurable better ever since. , I can honestly say that I have lived a life almost entirely free of envy or jealousy. What's more, I am constantly inspired by the good that I see in almost everyone I meet.

I can't say whether or not God answers our prayers. There is no way to tell for the average person. Sometimes you can feel an intuition and religious believers tell me it comes from God, but maybe it is just a human intuition. We cannot know. If it does come from an outer source, how do we know it is God, not another transcendent being?
Being that we may never know for sure if He contacts us, we do have others to bring us closer to God. God is distant; God is Spirit. I started to try and improve myself and understand the nature of things after watching a Japanese Anime named, Shin Seiki Evangelion[Gospel of the New Century]. It made me question my beliefs, and human interaction shown in a whole new light. It sounds silly, but all stories are, are a reflection of the writer's philosophies and ideas.

Well, I guess this is where our testimony would come in. Myself being a hard ex-Satanist, drug user/abuser also addicted to cigarettes and alcohol. In one night. Not over a period of time. IN ONE NIGHT I was delivered from the hands of Satan and put into the loving hands of our Lord Jesus Christ. My own testimony confirms my faith each day. I tried many times over to stop cigarettes and drugs/Alcohol. I wore the Patch, I went to AA. and NA yet nothing and I mean nothing could stop this desire of my flesh, I was to weak. Yet one night the Lord answered my prayer, And I have not touched a cigarette or marijuana/Meth/LSD/Shrooms/Cocaine again.. You ask does the Lord answer prayers?? Ask those who you see a difference in because of the Lord. Ask someone who was at the bottom in their life and by the Grace given to them they were lifted out of bondage. Then and only then will this question be answered!!!

The Lord certainly does answers prayers. When I was heavy into drugs and alchohol and running around on my wife, I simply said, God please help me. I quit drinking that night and start going to AA for 2 years, but still did not ask Jesus in my life. Then after 2 years, I committed my life to Jesus, but was very ignorant about the Bible because I was brought up a Catholic. During those years, I went through a lot. 1983 was the worst year for me because I had really severe depression. Didn't know how to deal with it. I remember only sleeping one hour a night for 8 straight months. I thought that I was done. Found out that I had chemical depression, and finally the doctor found the right medication. I thought a miraclle happened in my life because I felt so good. After 19 years of floundering in Ill., I moved to Arizona where I live now. Started going to a Word of Faith Church. I wanted to stop taking my medication, and the Lord healed me completely. The healing lasted for about a year. I was dating someone from the Chuirch, and she was running around on me. I got into unforgiveness, and lost my healing, which is the surest way to lose a healing. Finally went back to my medication. I really wanted to stop taking it, but when I was accepted at Rhema Bible training center for Ministry, they told me that I must take my medication if I want to attend there. They said sometimes Christians get into foolish faith. God does heal, but sometimes He has many tools in His tool box. Well, this is a brief testimony, and I am sure the rest of the story isn't over yet. Right now, I have a burning in my heart for the lost. Please pray that I am true to my calling.

May God bless, golfjack

While God's love may be unconditional, prayers are loaded with conditions. Sometimes He answers immediately. Yes. No. Wait. If you do/stop doing something then He will answer your request. Sometimes He will say He has an even better idea. Or like Jacob, you may find yourself wrestling with God.

Then there is the thing that some people almost never take into consideration. The prayers of other people. When God is moving in your life, but in an unexpected way, it just might be because I prayed for you. :-D

Blessings!

I too can say that God answers prayers, and it is all the more edifying (sp?) when you discover that what you prayed for is exactly what God wanted for you too!

I may not be the best person to contribute to this topic, since I myself am going through a bit of a struggle with my faith lately, but I think sometimes we overlook the answers He gives us. For example, a few nights ago I was thinking about a friend of mine who I deeply care for. A memory from last year came back to me almost out of the blue, something I had completely forgotten. I remembered that one night when I was in despair I asked God to let me meet a special person. I asked him to please, please put a wonderful person in my life. At the time what I was meaning was someone I would fall in love with.
This year I realised I got that person, but not just one. I made a LOT of new friends this year who are all wonderful and special to me and have blessed my life in so many ways. I'm becoming a better person for it. These people are unlike any friends I've had before. I almost can't believe how lucky I am to have them.
The person who is most special to me IS someone I fell in love with, but unfortunately that hasn't gone as I hoped... we won't ever be together. But I guess that's because God has different plans for both of us. I struggle with that thought every day, but I know that God did at least listen to me, and he gave me somebody wonderful, just as I asked.

I possibly sound contradictive.... as I am very confused right now, but I feel very sure about this.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back