Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

drunkeness

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
dirtfarmer here

If any thing we do harms a weaker brother's conscience we should abstain from it,
And not just that, but they should keep quiet about it.

"22So whatever you believe about these things (disputable liberties) keep between yourself and God." (Romans 14:22 NASB)

I honestly wish Christians would not talk about their alcohol consumption. It's an ugly scourge on Western society. Waaaaay too many people seem to have no problem lying to themselves that they don't drink to the point of drunkenness and are handling it responsibly. Drinking is just one of those things that when a person knows someone else is doing it they are more apt to do it themselves.

Since humans prove over and over and over again that we don't seem to be too good at knowing the line between legitimate consumption and drunkenness I'm of the opinion that the filthy stuff should not be in a Christian home. Alcohol is a dead end street. Don't see how far you can go down it without hitting the wall at the end of it. I've never seen any good come out of alcohol consumption. Never.
This sure can be said about lots of things. Power, sex, the taming of the tongue. It's about proper use. Everything, and I mean everything, is broken. God will set it proper upon his return.

"22So whatever you believe about these things (disputable liberties) keep between yourself and God." (Romans 14:22 NASB)

I honestly wish Christians would not talk about their alcohol consumption. It's an ugly scourge on Western society. Waaaaay too many people seem to have no problem lying to themselves that they don't drink to the point of drunkenness and are handling it responsibly. Drinking is just one of those things that when a person knows someone else is doing it they are more apt to do it themselves.

hello Jethro Bodine, dirtfarmer here

While I will agree that we should never brag about the liberty that we have in Christ, but should quietly go about our own business with confidence toward God. I also believe that when a weaker brother is present that we should not offend his conscience with our liberty.
Romans 14:21 " It is good neither to eat flesh, nor drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak."
Romans 14:23 " And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith, for whatsoever is not of faith is sin."

1 Corinthians 10:23 " All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not." This is the qualifier, DO ALL THINGS THAT WE DO EDIFY? Every thing that we do should be for the edification of the body of Christ."

dirtfarmer here

If any thing we do harms a weaker brother's conscience we should abstain from it,
when it comes to drinking, that's a rule I always follow. Not sure what else it covered but around a weaker brother I'm always very careful.

Did someone say Christ drank alcohol? He sure would not.
Even when He made water into wine the scripture never records it was alcohol.

Did someone say Christ drank alcohol? He sure would not.
Even when He made water into wine the scripture never records it was alcohol.
This is called derailing the thread.
It's about drunkeness, not about whether or not Jesus ever had a drink of alcohol.
Explain this Classik,
Matthew 11:19; The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.' But wisdom is proved right by her deeds."

Years ago I went to a Nazarene Church and routinely heard from the pulpit sermons on the evils of alcohol, movies, panty hose, women's cosmetics, etc. Over the years I have learned that these types of man made rules are not for Christians; if something is wrong for you then don't do it. But don't then stand up on a soapbox and beat other Christians over the head because they don't follow your example.

Years ago I went to a Nazarene Church and routinely heard from the pulpit sermons on the evils of alcohol, movies, panty hose, women's cosmetics, etc. Over the years I have learned that these types of man made rules are not for Christians; if something is wrong for you then don't do it. But don't then stand up on a soapbox and beat other Christians over the head because they don't follow your example.
Years ago I was a member of a Southern Baptist Church.
I got caught drinking a glass of wine.
I escaped death to live another day.

don't then stand up on a soapbox and beat other Christians over the head because they don't follow your example.
In our society, your example of drinking alcohol is far, far worse.
I personally respect a person's decision to not drink alcohol far more than I do a person's decision to drink.

It's a personal decision between you and God, and if you do it you should do it behind closed doors where no one knows you're doing it, and do not tell people you are doing it. And God help you if you're lying to yourself about not getting drunk if you really are. (Not 'you', but everyone in general.)

I personally respect a person's decision to not drink alcohol far more than I do a person's decision to drink.

It's a personal decision between you and God, and if you do it you should do it behind closed doors where no one knows you're doing it, and do not tell people you are doing it. And God help you if you're lying to yourself about not getting drunk if you really are. (Not 'you', but everyone in general.)
Whether Jesus drank wine or not, his disciples did, and they didn't just do it out in the open, they did it at parties with tax collectors, etc..
People were so weak in their faith, Paul had to say something about not drinking in public.
I guess people today have that same weakness.

It's a personal decision between you and God, and if you do it you should do it behind closed doors where no one knows you're doing it, and do not tell people you are doing it.
Why? If it is a 'personal decision' and it is not a sin, why hide it as if it were? Would that not indicate that the person doing it really believes it is a sin and therefore should not drink? Would not the lie to self be 'more' sinful than that actual act?

People were so weak in their faith, Paul had to say something about not drinking in public.
Where is this at? Most 'drinking' took place in homes during meals though no doubt if a person were thirsty during the day they would do so then also. I have never heard of any public drinking houses, saloons so to speak, but they may have existed.

Where is this at? Most 'drinking' took place in homes during meals though no doubt if a person were thirsty during the day they would do so then also. I have never heard of any public drinking houses, saloons so to speak, but they may have existed.
They have a tavern in Pompeii

this was a generalized statement
I wasn't expecting anyone to get picky over locations

The New Testament tells us several times to be sober minded.
That rules out excess alcohol consumption as being acceptable as well as drug use for the purpose of a "high".
Stay within these guidelines and we are okay.
I agree with you 100%.
We drink wine here with food.
It has NO affect on mood.
I find this to be perfectly acceptable.

Wondering

I've never found this to be true, but each one of us is different.

hello Jethro Bodine, dirtfarmer here

Would not your statement, " I personally respect a person's decision to not drink alcohol far more than I do a person's decision to drink.", be a judgment against another brother in which you seem to have a feeling of superiority or being more holy?

Drink behind closed doors?
Are you serious?
THIS would mean that I THOUGHT it was a sin and was doing it anyway.
I'll drink my wine right in front of you if you don't mind,
Unless you're a former alcoholic or it disturbs you like smoking disturbs some people.
Drinking and getting drunk is two different things.
Maybe the INTENTION of the drinking is important?
Maybe GOD KNOWS why a person is drinking?
What's to hide?
You'd have a problem having lunch and dinner in this country - that's fer sher.

Wondering
:)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back