Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Eternal life being tormented in Hell or Death, What is the wages of sin?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever. Revelation 20:10
Okay, I can see that you are committed to your point of view. Notice that the verse you quoted doesn't say that all of the wicked will go to hell when they die where they will be tormented alive forever while they are dead. The verse you quoted talks about just 3. The devil, the beast, and the false prophet. Also remember that the beast has 7 heads and 10 horns. Is this really the verse you want to use to over-rule all of the rest of scripture? It doesn't say what you need it to say, and a passage about a seven headed beast MIGHT not be the best verse to base your entire hellology on.

9 Then a third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, "If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives his mark on his forehead or on his hand, 10 he himself shall also drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out full strength into the cup of His indignation. He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. 11 And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name." Revelation 14:9-11
Once again, this verse doesn't say that their torment lasts forever, and this verse can't contradict all of the rest of scripture that specifically and directly says that the wages of sin is death and those who reject Jesus Christ will perish and will not have eternal life.

But I know that you are committed to believing in eternal conscious torment, so just go ahead and believe that. I'm just saying what the Bible says, I can't make you believe something that you don't want to believe.

I'm with you Timothy W. I got away from that ever burning in hell doctrine. I realized it was influenced from paganism and a lot of the NT words and names have the idea of their gods in it. The bible says that a person will perish. The whole idea of eternal hell rests with the immortal soul doctrine, another pagan doctrine to make it stand. Eternal life is contingent on grace, in which a person inherits eternal life who is otherwise mortal.

If you read the verses carefully that some use to "prove" an ever-existing hell, you will see that 1) it either does not say about the duration, or 2) the word "everlasting" when properly translated is talking about the final state could by the fire, i.e. everlasting fire = everlasting destruction or the action of the fire is everlasting --- no coming back, hence everlasting punishment (i.e. a state of one that's perished) not everlasting punishing.
I agree, the ancient Greeks (Pagan Greeks) believed that part of a person survived their death and went underground to live forever. The underworld was ruled by their "god", Hades. The Greeks influenced the Romans who copied the Greek religion. When Rome took over the early church, they brought a lot of these Roman religious ideas with them. If you research Pre-Christian Roman religion, you can see where the non-biblical additions to Christianity came from. The Modern Church is heavily (an understatement!) influenced by Rome.

I'm just passin' by this morning and I'm not going to be staying. but every once in awhile a thread captures my attention that I believe I should help out in. Regarding this verse:

10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever. Revelation 20:10

The words forever and ever is translated from the Greek word which is where we get our word "eon" from. It means for the duration of the age. Of course when there's new heavens and new earth, that will be the final age, so in that context, it's forever. But in the age of the fire and brimstone is not the last age. In addition, without going into details, this is merely a mention of the beast and false prophet.

9 Then a third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, "If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives his mark on his forehead or on his hand, 10 he himself shall also drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out full strength into the cup of His indignation. He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. 11 And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name." Revelation 14:9-11

This is the smoke of their torment and the state of unrest receiving the mark of the beast will not be an easy life as they are experiencing the tribulation and is not a description the so-called eternity of hell. Rather, the judgement is forever. Nothing will prevent the smoke of their judgement from ascending. This passage has its counterpart in Isaiah 34:10.(see also Psalm 37:20) I don't see any smoke today. One has to let the bible interpret itself.

And let me predict one other thing since that will most likely come up (I did not see it yet) --- the rich man and Lazarus parable. So many interpret that as the literalness of hell when indeed it's a parable. It's symbolic of something else, so that is a very bad thing to base a doctrine on. Why did Jesus use parables? So that people would not understand but only the elect! And using such a parable to push a doctrine is the very reason Jesus used such parables so that those with closed eyes would use it the way they wanted and thus just bask in their delusions.

I'm just passin' by this morning and I'm not going to be staying. but every once in awhile a thread captures my attention that I believe I should help out in. Regarding this verse:And let me predict one other thing since that will most likely come up (I did not see it yet) --- the rich man and Lazarus parable. So many interpret that as the literalness of hell when indeed it's a parable. It's symbolic of something else, so that is a very bad thing to base a doctrine on. Why did Jesus use parables? So that people would not understand but only the elect! And using such a parable to push a doctrine is the very reason Jesus used such parables so that those with closed eyes would use it the way they wanted and thus just bask in their delusions.

"If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives his mark on his forehead or on his hand...he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name." Revelation 14:10-11

For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; 19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. Revelation 22:18-19

"If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives his mark on his forehead or on his hand...he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name." Revelation 14:10-11

For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; 19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. Revelation 22:18-19
Repeating the same passage after it has been explained to you is not an effective way of convincing us that this passage means what you think it means. You've never explained why I should believe that "the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever" actually should mean "their torment goes on forever and ever". How do you reconcile that verse with Romans 6:23? The wages of sin are specifically said to be DEATH, NOT Eternal Conscious Torment. This is repeated often throughout the Bible, in passages such as Ezekiel 18:4 "The soul who sins shall die", and Malachi 4:3 - The wicked will be as ashes under your feet. Are ashes conscious of eternal torment? Obviously not. You warn us about taking away from the words of the Book of Revelation, which we have not done. You should heed your own advice and do not add to what the book says in order to justify your belief in eternal conscious torture. I can see that you are one of those people who is committed to believing in Eternal Torture no matter what anybody says or what the Bible says. That's fine, just don't expect me to go along with you in your error. God did not set a eternal place of torture. If he did, he would not be good or just. And the Bible absolutely does not say that he ever did invent such a place of torture. The Bible specifically says that those who reject God will perish. There is absolutely no reason not to believe that the wages of sin is death, just as the Bible says.

Repeating the same passage after it has been explained to you is not an effective way of convincing us that this passage means what you think it means. You've never explained why I should believe that "the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever" actually should mean "their torment goes on forever and ever".

I had hoped that the scripture I posted, needed no explanation.

Verse 10 - He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb.

This scripture states the result of if anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives his mark on his forehead or on his hand,

The result is - He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb.

Now for time frame of how long this torment last's.

and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name."

This scripture states that there will be no rest, no relief, but rather a continual process of no rest.

No rest from what? And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever;...

Notice this phrase with this verse, - of their torment...

The by product of their torment is smoke.

The evidence of their burning is smoke. The smoke of their torment, which is the result of them actually burning in the lake of fire.

The question you need to ask yourself is this; WHO CREATED THE LAKE OF FIRE? FOR WHAT PURPOSE?

Blessing to you.

JLB

Last edited:
Sadly, I think we're likely to never come to a point of agreement on these things. The scriptures related to such issues are often symbolic or had meanings to a contemporary audience that we can only speculate about. We also have a tendency to bring to the table beliefs we "know in our hearts" are right and we therefore become inflexible.

For instance, when I look at Revelation 14, I see it as being related to a 1st century return of the Christ in judgment where he would be the one responsible for pouring out the wrath of God on his enemies. I see this chapter not as an end of the world depiction, but rather a very figurative rendering of what was to literally transpire at the end of the age some 1900 plus years ago.

Additionally when the topic of immortality is mentioned I know that pretty soon the discussion will become a frustrating one for me because for the life of me I don't get why people don't see what I see in regards to the human soul not being immortal. According to passages like 1 Corithians 15, immortality is a gift given by the Christ to his elect and no one else. This ability to live endlessly is only promised to the elect and those as per Revelation 21 get access to trees and rivers of life in the age to come. The wicked have no such promises of life.

The question you need to ask yourself is this; WHO CREATED THE LAKE OF FIRE? FOR WHAT PURPOSE?

Hope this explanation clears up your confusion about this matter.

Blessing to you.

JLB
You hope that by misinterpreting the scripture to bolster a claim that the Bible never makes you will clear up my confusion? That's interesting.

Answering your question, the Bible specifically says that the lake of fire is the second death. The wages of sin is death. So obviously the lake of fire, being death, is the penalty for sin. The lake of fire (which is death) is the punishment for sin. Are you one of those people who believes the serpent from the garden, that nobody ever really dies?

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:23

What does the Bible say is the wages of sin?
What does the Bible say the gift of God is for those who are in Christ Jesus our Lord?
The Bible says that the wages of sin is DEATH!
The Bible says that only those who receive eternal life from Christ will receive eternal life. Those who do not have eternal life will perish. The gift of God is eternal life. Do you honestly believe that those who REJECT Jesus Christ will ALSO receive the GIFT of ETERNAL LIFE?
No, they will not receive eternal life, they will perish just as the Bible clearly states. They will not have eternal life in Hell being tortured alive forever, because they will perish, they do not have eternal life.

Last edited:
Let's remember to stick to discussing the topic and avoid making personal comments about another poster's viewpoint or belief.

You hope that by misinterpreting the scripture to bolster a claim that the Bible never makes you will clear up my confusion? That's interesting.

Answering your question, the Bible specifically says that the lake of fire is the second death. The wages of sin is death. So obviously the lake of fire, being death, is the penalty for sin. The lake of fire (which is death) is the punishment for sin. Are you one of those people who believes the serpent from the garden, that nobody ever really dies?

Maybe this verse will clear up your confusion: For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:23

What does the Bible say is the wages of sin?
What does the Bible say the gift of God is for those who are in Christ Jesus our Lord?
The Bible says that the wages of sin is DEATH!
The Bible says that only those who receive eternal life from Christ will receive eternal life. Those who do not have eternal life will perish. The gift of God is eternal life. Do you honestly believe that those who REJECT Jesus Christ will ALSO receive the GIFT of ETERNAL LIFE?
No, they will not receive eternal life, they will perish just as the Bible clearly states. They will not have eternal life in Hell being tortured alive forever, because they will perish, they do not have eternal life.

I would hope that clears up your confusion, but I doubt that anything can.

Maybe we can agree in part, if not completely.

How about this part.

He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. Revelation 14:10

Do you agree that those who take the mark and worship the beast will be tormented with fire and brimstone?

Maybe the main point you disagree with is the amount of time they will be tormented.

JLB

Maybe we can agree in part, if not completely.

How about this part.

He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. Revelation 14:10

Do you agree that those who take the mark and worship the beast will be tormented with fire and brimstone?

Maybe the main point you disagree with is the amount of time they will be tormented.

JLB
The Greek word that is translated "tormented" is βασανισθήσεται, and means to be tested.
Strongs: properly, to test (metals) by the touchstone.

This is an apt description of the final judgment which determines whether a person receives eternal life or goes to their second death.

Here is Revelation 14:10 in the original Greek:
καὶ αὐτὸς πίεται ἐκ τοῦ οἴνου τοῦ θυμοῦ τοῦ Θεοῦ τοῦ κεκερασμένου ἀκράτου ἐν τῷ ποτηρίῳ τῆς ὀργῆς αὐτοῦ, καὶ βασανισθήσεται ἐν πυρὶ καὶ θείῳ ἐνώπιον ἀγγέλων ἁγίων καὶ ἐνώπιον τοῦ Ἀρνίου.

We also know that anyone who "drinks the wine of the wrath of God will not have eternal life. See John 3:36 "Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them."

Here is Revelation 14:10 in the original Greek:
καὶ αὐτὸς πίεται ἐκ τοῦ οἴνου τοῦ θυμοῦ τοῦ Θεοῦ τοῦ κεκερασμένου ἀκράτου ἐν τῷ ποτηρίῳ τῆς ὀργῆς αὐτοῦ, καὶ βασανισθήσεται ἐν πυρὶ καὶ θείῳ ἐνώπιον ἀγγέλων ἁγίων καὶ ἐνώπιον τοῦ Ἀρνίου.
yep! Plus the obvious fact that Rev 14 is right smack in the middle of John's vision recounted for us(sometimes, but not all times, even interpreted for us by God himself, and other times by John, Jesus , or the angel) within the 22 chapters. Why think chapter 14 is, as Paul Harvey would say, The End of the Story. Even if torment means pain?

or 2) the word "everlasting" when properly translated is talking about the final state could by the fire, i.e. everlasting fire = everlasting destruction or the action of the fire is everlasting --- no coming back, hence everlasting punishment (i.e. a state of one that's perished) not everlasting punishing.

Or 3) "Everlasting ___________” = “God’s _________”. I mean if you think about it, what else in this universe is really, truly “everlasting” other than God?
Eternal/Everlasting fire = God’s fire = A fire that is not quenched (quenched means to put out prior to consuming its fuel). Again, if you think about this phrase, why even bring up “unquenchable” if that Scripture didn’t mean to point to the fact that all the fuel is consumed. That’s what fires do, unless they run out of oxygen first or water douses the fire.

Eternal/Everlasting Punishment = God’s Punishment (the final one versus a probationary curse).

That is, when the afterlife is the topic and all things are made right (post judgment). The punishment for sin = death (the second one of course since we all experience the first one/physical death). Fear not what man can do, but what God can do (kill both the body and the soul). Pretty simple really, when you actually think about it.

None of these “eternal/everlasting” passages used mean anything other than a very real description of what’s to come for the unsaved. Their just and final, and eternal and everlasting penalty for sin/punishment = (____________). Hint, you’ll actually find “the penalty” in Genesis 2 and onward throughout the Bible (like John 3:16) as was pointed out already in the OP.

But first, doing a word search of the entire Bible for “everlasting” is extremely interesting and educational since, I suppose that’s where people think the bible teaches never-ending life for the un-saved, even though it speaks of death elsewhere, albeit an unhappy/painful life.

Take the ESV translation searched for “everlasting”. You get 62 occurrences. What’s first?

1. Genesis 9:15-16 (ESV) 15 I will remember my covenant that is between me and you [Noah] and every living creature of all flesh. And the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. When the bow is in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.”

Note: I’ve been following another thread discussing things like “Moses’ Law”/covenant, God’s Law/covenant, etc. and when/if they’re now done away with, fulfilled, abolished, etc. Lots of opinions there. But for this covenant, it’s “everlasting”. It’s hard to dispute that given the verses above. My point here is not on that topic (what the covenant was/is), but rather here we have the first occurrence in the Bible of “everlasting”. And what does it mean here? “My covenant” = “Everlasting covenant”. Pretty simple interpretation really. When God finally decides to judge the wicked, it will be an everlasting punishment. Of what nature is the only question, I suppose. Torture or the death sentence? 50 lashes (every day forever) or stoning?

Then we have a bunch of other uses of this word “everlasting” where it’s used in exactly the same way.
2. Genesis 21:33 (ESV) Abraham planted a tamarisk tree in Beersheba and called there on the name of the Lord, the Everlasting God.
3. 1 Chronicles 16:36 (ESV) Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel, from everlasting to everlasting!”
4. Psalm 9:6 (ESV) The enemy came to an end in everlasting ruins; their cities you rooted out; the very memory of them has perished.
5. Psalm 78:66 (ESV) And he [God] put his adversaries to rout; he put them to everlasting shame.
6. Psalm 90:2 (ESV) Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever you had formed the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God.
7. Psalm 145:13 (ESV) Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and your dominion endures throughout all generations.

That's what I see from just these seven occurrences (and the rest of them)? Here we have “everlasting kingdom” = “God’s kingdom”. So and “everlasting punishment” is “God’s punishment”, the final one, that is! It really says nothing more than it’s GOD’s final judgment (ere revocable, so to speak).

So what is God’s final judgment of the wicked from the universal covenant that’s applicable to “all flesh”? Humm, even if the Bible didn’t come right out and say it, we at least get a hint from the fact that God spoke these verses to Noah, just after the flood. As I recall, they all DIED in the flood expect Noah and his family. But the Bible is not silent on what God’s punishment is for all that do not have forgiveness granted them through Christ.

God Says: Genesis 2:17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.
Satan Says: Genesis 3:4 But the serpent said to the woman, “You will not surely die.”

So who’s right and who’s wrong? The everlasting is right, of course. Yes, I know that all kinds of commentators (many very, very smart, much more so than I (or should I say “me”, I forget)) have said that since Adam went on to live to age 930 years, that God must have meant Spiritual Death instead of Physical Death. However, a better understanding is simply that here “day” is used the same way God’s word uses the Hebrew word “Yom” in many, many other places. Sometimes it clearly means a long period of time (versus 24 hours or ~ 12 hours of daylight). Just like we do in English even “today” (pun intended). And therefore God really did mean physical death to Adam after all (which is exactly why he and Eve were so afraid). Which of course did occur during Adam’s 930th year. It’s only the people that will not believe that “yom” can and does mean long periods of time in Genesis (versus 12 or 24 hours) that have to come up with a “spiritual” death. Adam/Eve did die physically within their “yom”.

Actually, it’s the only thing that makes sense (and I can prove it). For if God in Gen 2:2 meant “Spiritual Death” then what’s up with Adam/Eve having further (post sinning) conversations with God? I thought they were “spiritually dead” so why is God talking to them and of all things, putting garments on them? Putting garments on dead people, really? It’s a silly argument, if you fairly look at the Biblical message without any tradition holding you back, it’s the only thing that makes sense of the text (Gen 2, John 3:16, Rom 6:23 and all the rest).

Also, was Satan right after all, that they “wouldn’t surely die” or was he lying instead? Obviously he was lying. So what’s up with this never dying thing in Hell? Was Satan right, after all, if the penalty for sin is not death? And since we all die physically (saved and un-saved) and we all were once dead spiritually (saved and unsaved) then what exactly is the difference for those whose sins have been forgiven versus those who have not been forgiven their sins? That would be a big fat zero (if God meant only spiritual death in Gen 2:2).
So what is meant by “death” in Gen 2:2 and elsewhere like in Romans 6:23? I say, it depends on the context/topic at hand in the Scriptures. Obviously, the topic at hand in Gen 2:2 is a penalty for sin, a far reaching penalty, but obviously a penalty none the less. And one Adam was truly afraid to suffer (so much so that he ran around and hid from God because of it).

Matthew 10:28 (ESV) And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
Not some unbiblical verse like:

Matthew 10:28 (ECT) And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy [torment] both soul and body in hell [forever].
I’ve even heard people argue (or try to) that here “destroy” doesn’t mean destroy but rather something like “ruin”. It’s a silly argument. Jesus just got through saying “kill the body” but no the soul. Guess what? It’s the same Greek word (ἀποκτείνω) translated once as Kill and once as “destroy”. Maybe the authors and Greek speakers of that day really were inspired to write it like they meant it.

To kill the body is child’s play. Pretty much anybody can do that. Now, to kill the soul AND the body, that’s destruction. Total, final, eternal, everlasting destruction. A Capital punishment (big C) found only in the Captain’s abilities. Not even the Roman soldiers trained to kill for a living, could do that.

The Final Punishment = a capability only God has = an eternal punishment = the 2nd death. No wonder Adam was afraid! Me too. I've seen (and not to far from experiencing that 1st one).

So how do we explain these verses from Mark 9 in this context?

42 “But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea.
43 If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having two hands, to go to hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched—
44 where
'Their worm does not die
And the fire is not quenched.’

45 And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life lame, rather than having two feet, to be cast into hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched—
46 where
‘Their worm does not die,

47 And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye, rather than having two eyes, to be cast into hell fire—
48 where
‘Their worm does not die

Hi Wip,

It says the fire is not quenched. That doesn't necessitate that a person burn in that fire for any specified length of time. Jude speaks of Sodom and Gomorrah as examples of eternal fire. We know that Sodom and Gomorrah are not still burning today. It seems that the term eternal fire refers to the result of the burning and not to it's longevity.

JBL,

Aren't these people alive?

JBL,

Aren't these people alive?

Their bodies have died.

Their spirit man has gone to death, death itself has been assigned to the lake of fire.

Those that have been assigned to death will join death in the lake of fire.

They will be tormented in the lake of fire.

13 The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works. 14 Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire. Revelation 20:14

... anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.

You don't want to be cast into the lake of fire.

It won't be good.

Heaven = Good.

Lake of fire = Bad.

All the Greek words and explanations, as well as "theories" will not stop you from burning, if you yourself are cast into the lake of fire.

JLB

What are you saying, that the beast and the false prophet aren't human?
Then what are they?

Great point, Allen. This is the best argument against annihilationism. Here is a Biblical example of two PEOPLE who are burning forever in the place "reserved for the Devil and his angels". This obviously includes some humans. I haven't seen a rebuttal yet. Any takers?

15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire. Revelation 20:15

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back