Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

For Christians Only' Thithing

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Lewis

I have a very important question for the Christians here. We talked about this before' but it was a long time ago. I believe in thithing. And some here do not. Please tell me why and give me proof' of why you should not. Because trust me I have forgot' what said about this subject before on this board' almost 2 years ago.

I tithe as well Lewis and the arguments I've heard are that tithing was for a theocratic nation under the old covenant. Now under Christ, the 'spirit of giving' is what dictates our monetary donations, not a 10% tithing system.

What I find funny is that so many want to pick and choose what they want to follow in the OT. (What wasn't obviously done away with at the cross) The rest now falls under the 'old covenant'.

I guess giving back a tenth of what already belongs to God in generosity was deep sixed at the cross along with the commandments to love God and love your neighbor. Strange methogology for a group of people that is supposed to be 'generous' and 'loving'.

It's nice to have a smorgasbord religion. It makes life so much simpler! :biggrin

Okay, I'll shut up now for a biblical reason from those who actually don't tithe.

Sorry, Lewis

Lewis
I do not believe that tithing is a NT command...There is no scripture support for it....Now in saying that, I do tithe as well...As gui said, it all belongs to God...
I do not read anyplace in the NT where it says NOT to tithe, so what does that tell you...?

jgredline said:
Lewis
I do not believe that tithing is a NT command...There is no scripture support for it....Now in saying that, I do tithe as well...As gui said, it all belongs to God...
I do not read anyplace in the NT where it says NOT to tithe, so what does that tell you...?
It tells me that tithe is a starting point for giving. Jesus at times, requested 1/3, 50% and even 100%! How in the world do people expect churches and ministries to operate in capitalistic societies? Good looks? :robot:

There is no required tithe under the New Covenant lest our salvation or God's level of content with us would matter in relation to it, and there is no set tithing percentage (the widow only gave two mites), yet under the new covenant grace we have been given, we are expected to give from our heart - and not necessarily just to the church but even more so to our brethren, the poor, strangers (this is called hospitality; Greek: xenophilos - Literally "love of strangers"), the sick, etc. All forms of giving can be considered as a "tithe" of sorts and God loves a cheerful giver so any such cheerfully given financial gift or sacrifice is as a sweet aroma to God. We will be such cheerful givers if we walk in the Spirit and it will be one of the fruits of the Spirit in our lives, stemming from Christ's love that is in us.

God Bless,

~Josh

Also take into account the praise that Paul gave the Philippian Church for their giving to aid his ministry:

Philippians 4

15 You yourselves also know, Philippians, that at the first preaching of the gospel, after I left Macedonia, no church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving but you alone;

16for even in Thessalonica you sent a gift more than once for my needs.

17Not that I seek the gift itself, but I seek for the profit which increases to your account.

18But I have received everything in full and have an abundance; I am amply supplied, having received from Epaphroditus what you have sent, a fragrant aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well-pleasing to God.

That shows what I just said in my last post about the importance of giving and how it is a fragrant aroma to God (as a proper sacrifice was in the OT).

God Bless,

~Josh

vic C. said:
It tells me that tithe is a starting point for giving. Jesus at times, requested 1/3, 50% and even 100%! How in the world do people expect churches and ministries to operate in capitalistic societies? Good looks? :robot:

Exactly !!!!!
In our church, we do not have any tithing sermons...When we went through membership classes it was all explained there...and briefly I might add..
It is simply expected and frankly it feels good to give towards Gods kingdom....

:robot: it is looking at me again...every time I type it is there...

It is simply expected and frankly it feels good to give towards Gods kingdom

Absolutely. That's exactly my view. Do you agree with what I said on that topic of giving above?

~Josh

Yes the church has to pay bills' and other things. My church here in Philly is very busy' we help with a shelter for men. We have about 20 something other ministries that we do including owning a brand new community center. And having a state of the art brand new church built. We give out personal items every Friday night to the prostitutes' and drug addicts. We help feed the hungry . And our properties must be kept up. Our church office staff wich is large has to be paid. We have a full time pastor he must be paid. We also have about 3 full time assistant pastors' that must be paid. We also send people to other countries to spread the Gospel. And next year we will build a church in Africa. We sent 4 people today to Hungary' to spread the Gospel. And we have much more that we do. And all this takes money. Also what do you all think about Acts 4and 5 ? The church did collect money. And 2 died for lying to the Holy Ghost over money.

vic C. said:
Jesus at times, requested 1/3, 50% and even 100%

cybershark5886 said:
we have been given, we are expected to give from our heart

cybershark5886 said:
God loves a cheerful giver so any such cheerfully given financial gift or sacrifice is as a sweet aroma to God.

jgredline said:
It is simply expected and frankly it feels good to give towards Gods kingdom....
So... what about those who are not so great at tithing? Are they sinning?...just missing out?... kind of both?

I suppose not following Jesus would be sinning.

(ahem...I don't think I'm a very good tithing)

I don't believe it is a sin if we don't tithe, but if the Spirit prompts you to tithe and you don't, then we grieve the Holy Spirit. Afterall, all money belongs to God, and a tenth of our income, whether it is a dollar or one hundred thousand dollars, is not too much to ask. We should always give with a merry heart. We reap what we sow.

I know when asking for money in a church service is a touchy subject, but it really is for our benifit. In my opinion, people avoid church because they are just outright stingy.

May God bless, Golfjack

There are some people who give of their time and time is much more valuable than money in some cases...I do not believe it is a sin not to tithe...I can tell you this from my own experience...You can't out give God....

jgredline said:
There are some people who give of their time and time is much more valuable than money in some cases...I do not believe it is a sin not to tithe...I can tell you this from my own experience...You can't out give God....
No you cannot out give God. And when you are a cheerful giver God will bless you. I really believe in seed sowing. And it is true' you do reap what you sow.

I believe that there is a call in Scripture for God's people to support God's ministry, and those who give their lives to His service. I don't think it needs to be 10%, or any number really, I just think we need to be led by the Holy Spirit. I think that the people in Scripture that are rarely mentioned did this for the saints, for Christ, for the disciples, and later for Paul....many of them were women giving in service and in financial matters. The church was such a community during that time, and was free from the spirit of independence that is so prevalent in the world today...especially in the United States. I think that this has also affected the authority of the church...this, and the constant abuse of leadership positions and church house scams...it's a shame. This is why we must rely on the Spirit to guide us in this area.

Romans 15 25 But now I go unto Jerusalem to minister unto the saints.
26 For it hath pleased them of Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain contribution for the poor saints which are at Jerusalem.
27 It hath pleased them verily; and their debtors they are. For if the Gentiles have been made partakers of their spiritual things, their duty is also to minister unto them in carnal things.

Here we see an example of the Gentiles caring financially for the Jerusalem saints. Paul said there was an obligation because they are spiritual brothers and sisters. This really should excite us, because it is another indicator of our inheritance.

I believe the widow gave all she had to the church because she was pressed to rely on God so much, not having a husband or wealth, and through that God built her faith in Him. She didn't need the money, and gave it all to that which represented the One who was caring for her. She knew exactly who was meeting her needs. That is great faith, and great love for God.

If a church does not have charity, then I would think twice about giving them support. We need to be benevolent ourselves, with those around us...those God brings to us to help...and we need to be part of a church that is doing those same things. The Lord bless all of you.

Lovely
If I can further add to what you just wrote, I will ask these questions??

Did Jesus have financial support for his ministry?
If you answered yes, you answered correctly....

So who was it that supported Jesus in his ministry work????

jgredline said:
Lovely
If I can further add to what you just wrote, I will ask these questions??

Did Jesus have financial support for his ministry?
If you answered yes, you answered correctly....

So who was it that supported Jesus in his ministry work????
...not just financial support, but...

Mat 15:30 And great multitudes came unto him, having with them those that were lame, blind, dumb, maimed, and many others, and cast them down at Jesus' feet; and he healed them:
Mat 15:31 Insomuch that the multitude wondered, when they saw the dumb to speak, the maimed to be whole, the lame to walk, and the blind to see: and they glorified the God of Israel.
Mat 15:32 Then Jesus called his disciples unto him, and said, I have compassion on the multitude, because they continue with me now three days, and have nothing to eat: and I will not send them away fasting, lest they faint in the way.
Mat 15:33 And his disciples say unto him, Whence should we have so much bread in the wilderness, as to fill so great a multitude?
Mat 15:34 And Jesus saith unto them, How many loaves have ye? And they said, Seven, and a few little fishes.
Mat 15:35 And he commanded the multitude to sit down on the ground.
Mat 15:36 And he took the seven loaves and the fishes, and gave thanks, and brake them, and gave to his disciples, and the disciples to the multitude.
Mat 15:37 And they did all eat, and were filled: and they took up of the broken meat that was left seven baskets full.
Mat 15:38 And they that did eat were four thousand men, beside women and children.

Lewis W said:
Yes the church has to pay bills' and other things. My church here in Philly is very busy' we help with a shelter for men. We have about 20 something other ministries that we do including owning a brand new community center. And having a state of the art brand new church built. We give out personal items every Friday night to the prostitutes' and drug addicts. We help feed the hungry . And our properties must be kept up. Our church office staff wich is large has to be paid. We have a full time pastor he must be paid. We also have about 3 full time assistant pastors' that must be paid. We also send people to other countries to spread the Gospel. And next year we will build a church in Africa. We sent 4 people today to Hungary' to spread the Gospel. And we have much more that we do. And all this takes money. Also what do you all think about Acts 4and 5 ? The church did collect money. And 2 died for lying to the Holy Ghost over money.

Great answers all. But my thing is again' with out our giving to the Body Of Christ' how can the things that we do in my church' above' and other churches do the work of the Lord ? We must with a giving heart support the Body Of Christ.

Lewis W said:
Great answers all. But my thing is again' with out our giving to the Body Of Christ' how can the things that we do in my church' above' and other churches do the work of the Lord ? We must with a giving heart support the Body Of Christ.

I like what Chuck Smith Says...
He has never asked / begged for a dime, because as chuck says...God does not need our money...If indeed it is for Gods work, God will provide the money needed....Billy Graham had the same approach for all of his crusades as does Greg Laurie.....Raul Ries, and many others really.....

Yes I am with you on the begging. Some you have to ask and some you don't. But if you are full of the Holy Ghost' you will give without being prompted to.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back