Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

God In A Box

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Atonement

Jesus healed a man with leprosy at one time by telling him to show himself to the priest and offer a gift that Moses commanded.

Mat 8:3 Then Jesus put out His hand and touched him, saying, "I am willing; be cleansed." Immediately his leprosy was cleansed.
Mat 8:4 And Jesus said to him, "See that you tell no one; but go your way, show yourself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, as a testimony to them."

In this, Jesus was telling the man with leprosy to take a walk in faith for his cleansing.

Another time Jesus healed a blind man by spitting on the ground and making mud. After putting the mud on his eyes he told the blind man to wash it off.

Jhn 9:6 When He had said these things, He spat on the ground and made clay with the saliva; and He anointed the eyes of the blind man with the clay.

Jhn 9:7 And He said to him, "Go, wash in the pool of Siloam"

In this, Jesus used another form to heal a man with blindness.

Yet another time Jesus healed a blind man, but this time Jesus just spoke it and the blind man was healed.

Luk 18:41 saying, "What do you want Me to do for you?" He said, "Lord, that I may receive my sight."
Luk 18:42 Then Jesus said to him, "Receive your sight; your faith has made you well."

What's my point? God uses different methods, but having the same conclusion. All good things come from the Lord. God may use medicine to heal, for God is the creator of medicine. God may use a supernatural healing, and God may use His people for a healing. People love to put God in a box and say stuff like this for example: "God helped my father with cancer supernaturally!" But "Why can't God heal my mother with diabetes?" We can not limit our God with His methods, not only for healing, but every part of our lives. God wants to be God and we love to question His authority without understanding His Ways. Take God out of the Box and allow Him to be what He is... A Sovereign God

Atonement said:
Take God out of the Box and allow Him to be what He is... A Sovereign God

Interesting. Do you think that is what happened to the Israelites when they were fighting the Philistines and the went and got the Ark. They wanted to make God fight for them. In the battle there was a great defeat and the Ark was captured. Do you think God struck down the Israelites because they tried to manipulate him into fighting for them? Was he making a point that he is sovereign and in control and that we should not try to control him like he is some idol?

I know people that loose children. It is heart breaking. Yet when they say, "I cannot worship a God that will let my child die, or my parent die, are they not challenging God for sovereignty?

I agree with you. We should be careful to recognize God as sovereign and in control. He is the potter, we are the clay.

Atonement said:
What's my point? God uses different methods, but having the same conclusion. All good things come from the Lord. God may use medicine to heal, for God is the creator of medicine. God may use a supernatural healing, and God may use His people for a healing. People love to put God in a box and say stuff like this for example: "God helped my father with cancer supernaturally!" But "Why can't God heal my mother with diabetes?" We can not limit our God with His methods, not only for healing, but every part of our lives. God wants to be God and we love to question His authority without understanding His Ways.
Jesus doesn't use methods in anythin He does.

John 5:19 So Jesus answered and said to them, "Most positively, I say to you, the Son is not able to be doing anything of Himself unless He sees the Father doing it, for whatever He is doing, these also the Son likewise does.

Jesus onlu healed the way that HE saw His Father doing it.
The same for us, we need to be continualy in prayer to to the things of the father.

Atonement said:
The Box that God will & must stay in is His Word, therefore, KEEP GOD IN HIS BOX!
He will never go beyond it.

Diolectic did you even read what I wrote? I said GOD uses different methods. So your statement is unfathomable. And I have proven already that Jesus (God) healed in more ways then one.

John 5:19 So Jesus answered and said to them, "Most positively, I say to you, the Son is not able to be doing anything of Himself unless He sees the Father doing it, for whatever He is doing, these also the Son likewise does.

Jesus onlu healed the way that HE saw His Father doing it.
The same for us, we need to be continualy in prayer to to the things of the father.

Again did you read my OP?

Atonement wrote:
The Box that God will & must stay in is His Word, therefore, KEEP GOD IN HIS BOX!
He will never go beyond it.

You keep God in your box, wrap him in tradition, and use Him as you please. The God I serve is to great to be in a box and can doing anything and use anything to serve His purpose.

mondar said:
Interesting. Do you think that is what happened to the Israelites when they were fighting the Philistines and the went and got the Ark. They wanted to make God fight for them. In the battle there was a great defeat and the Ark was captured. Do you think God struck down the Israelites because they tried to manipulate him into fighting for them? Was he making a point that he is sovereign and in control and that we should not try to control him like he is some idol?

That's a good point Mondar! And yes I believe that they were trusting in the Ark more then they were trusting in the Lord God. Forcing God's hand (so to speak). The Ark I believe became an idol to them, and God gave the Ark to their enemies for not trusting in Him and His Word.

I know people that loose children. It is heart breaking. Yet when they say, "I cannot worship a God that will let my child die, or my parent die, are they not challenging God for sovereignty?

Yes they are challenging God. People want to blame God for everything that happens. God allows it to happen, because we live in a cursed world.

I agree with you. We should be careful to recognize God as sovereign and in control. He is the potter, we are the clay.

Amen

Atonement said:
Diolectic did you even read what I wrote? I said GOD uses different methods. So you statement is unfathomable.
I meat that one can not use methodes to manipulate God in doing anything.

Atonement said:
You keep God in your box, wrap him in tradition, and use Him as you please. The God I serve is to great to be in a box and can doing anything and use anything to serve His purpose.
Are so saying that God what go against his own Word?

Psa 138:2b for you have magnified your word accordint to all your name.

Are so saying that God what go against his own Word?

Can you show me where in God's Word that He can not use medicine, people, tragic events, turmoil, faith etc to carry out His will? It's by His Word that we should not put God in a box. If knowing His Word, we know that God can not be put in a box.

God used Moses to deliver his children Israel out of the hand of the Egyptians.

God used Moses rod to depart the Red Sea

God used Moses rod as a serpent to swallow up the sorcerers serpents

God used nature to deliever the plagues to Egypt

God used sickness on the Pharaoh

God listened to Joshua's prayer and made the sun stand still allowing him to win the battle between Amorites

And I could go on and on

Do you think God is in a box? Do you really think God's Word put's Him in a box? If you believe it does, I would say you need to read up on the Bible and refreshen your Bibical skills. Only my opinion of course

-no disrespect intended -

Atonement said:
Can you show me where in God's Word that He can not use medicine, people, tragic events, turmoil, faith etc to carry out His will? It's by His Word that we should not put God in a box. If knowing His Word, we know that God can not be put in a box.

God used Moses to deliver his children Israel out of the hand of the Egyptians.

God used Moses rod to depart the Red Sea

God used Moses rod as a serpent to swallow up the sorcerers serpents

God used nature to deliever the plagues to Egypt

God used sickness on the Pharaoh

God listened to Joshua's prayer and made the sun stand still allowing him to win the battle between Amorites

And I could go on and on

Do you think God is in a box? Do you really think God's Word put's Him in a box? If you believe it does, I would say you need to read up on the Bible and refreshen your Bibical skills. Only my opinion of course

-no disrespect intended -
No disrespecting seen on your part. I've learne dthat in forums, people need to be very articulate in what they say and to cover all bases. That takes a few more posts to bring all that is meant out inb the open.
God's own Box is His Word.

You are using all examples before HIS Word was complete.
There is no extra biblical things that will happen on God's part.

God can not flood the Earth again(Gen 9:11,15).

God can not Stop Jesus from being our high preist after the order of Melchisedec.( Psalm 110:4, Hebrews 5:10)
....ect....

God will not and can not go against His Word.
His Word is finished and complete.

My elderly friend has developed a relationship with her eye doctor that has enabled her to share the gospel with him and sow some seeds into his life.
God can use us for His glory any way He chooses, even through our own sicknesses. There might be someone in the doctors office, ER, or the hospital who needs Jesus (maybe even the doctor)

God can not flood the Earth again(Gen 9:11,15).

God can not Stop Jesus from being our high preist after the order of Melchisedec.( Psalm 110:4, Hebrews 5:10)

These that you have quoted would then call God a liar. I'm not talking about flooding the earth again, nor am I talking about Jesus being stopped from being the High Priest. These would call God a Liar because it would contradict His Word. Either you are looking to much into my original post or you are trying to be argumentive about the point I'm trying to make in my original post.

I'm talking about - healing
I'm talking about - finances
I'm talking about - Faith
I'm talking about - different methods He uses for the same outcome in a situation
I'm talking about everyday things that people use that put's God in a Box. Not what God said he will never do again. If you want to put God in that sort a box, sure go ahead. But then you have missed my whole point and this conversation with you has been useless..

destiny said:
My elderly friend has developed a relationship with her eye doctor that has enabled her to share the gospel with him and sow some seeds into his life.
God can use us for His glory any way He chooses, even through our own sicknesses. There might be someone in the doctors office, ER, or the hospital who needs Jesus (maybe even the doctor)

Amen

Atonement said:
These that you have quoted would then call God a liar. I'm not talking about flooding the earth again, nor am I talking about Jesus being stopped from being the High Priest. These would call God a Liar because it would contradict His Word. Either you are looking to much into my original post or you are trying to be argumentive about the point I'm trying to make in my original post.

I'm talking about - healing
I'm talking about - finances
I'm talking about - Faith
I'm talking about - different methods He uses for the same outcome in a situation
I'm talking about everyday things that people use that put's God in a Box. Not what God said he will never do again. If you want to put God in that sort a box, sure go ahead. But then you have missed my whole point and this conversation with you has been useless..
Sorry, I'm not trying to be argumentive, I must have looked to much into your original post.

I just hope that you don't think that one may use methodes to try to get God to do something just because it worked before, like Act 19:12.

One thing that has always struck me about the account of Jesus healing the leper is this:

Mat 8:3 Then Jesus put out His hand and touched him,

Can you imagine what that must have been like for the leper? How long had he been made to call out warnings so that everyone could stand away from him? How long had he been cut off from any kind of human contact?

How completely healing that touch must have been, physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.

All Jesus had to do was will that the man be healed and he would have been healed. But instead, He looked right to that man's heart and met his greatest need.

This is why it is so important not to put God in the box. To expect that God would do for Johnny just exactly as He does for Jenny. Johnny and Jenny are two totally separate beings with different needs and different challenges in their individual walk with God. But, we can always trust that our Lord will always, just as He did with the leper, look right into our heart and meet us at our greatest need.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back