Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Highly Rebellious Teen

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

jruner

We have a teen who daily yells at us and or his siblings, then refuses to do any chores without (extra) monetary gain or extreme rage. He already gets an allowance for doing basic chores but he wants more money and keeps doing less chores. We have very limited income but reward our children equally for chores and of-course provide food heat and shelter through the Grace of God. When we can we try to do a little extra for each child.

He goes into angry rants and telling us that we hate him because we make him do the same chore as one sibling and that they both have to do more than their younger disabled sibling (who also does chores within ability).

We believe in family team effort within abilities, I go beyond my own as I am disabled and try to lead by example.

Comments?

I have tried hugs, punishments, asking him about counseling talking to friends,ministers, christian teens on forums and I am spinning my wheels. He will not talk to us at all. I continue to pray for God's guidance.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a teen who daily yells at us and or his siblings, then refuses to do any chores without (extra) monetary gain or extreme rage. He already gets an allowance for doing basic chores but he wants more money and keeps doing less chores.

What's our son doing at YOUR house? :lol

I'm sorry, but that did start to sound like you were describing our son, Joshua. He isn't bad with the anger; more so the laziness. I don't know how upset your son gets, but I think if every parent was honest about what they go through with their teens, you might not feel so "special". I think the battle fatigue I experienced from my own teens prevents me from remembering all the horrible things I said to my parents, but I know I could be very defiant.

I don't have any real words of wisdom, except "this too shall pass". You've shared other things I'm going through with at least one of our kids, and I think we need to make our way through being parents of teens as much as they do being teens. I don't know about you, but I sometimes have to remind myself not to make more of it than it is, because I could be sitting in a police station waiting for them to release him, at the ER from him over-dosing on drugs, or sitting in his principle's office because he's being expelled from school. :shrug

Have you done your job with a rod? If you haven't done your job according to what the scriptures say, then better start doing it ASAP.

(Prov 13:24) He who spares his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him promptly.
(Prov 23:13) Do not withhold correction from a child, For [if] you beat him with a rod, he will not die.
(Prov 23:14) You shall beat him with a rod, And deliver his soul from hell.
(Prov 29:15) The rod and rebuke give wisdom, But a child left [to himself] brings shame to his mother.
(Prov 22:6) Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.

I do not spare the rod. My spouse does not back me up sometimes (rarely though). I physically can't hold him down and spank him I take away everything friends, TV, computer snacks wearing his "idolized football team apparel after swearing rants".

He wears the same football teams clothes almost every day hence my Idol comment (we get complaints about it). This "childish" teen out of our three children says that he receives more punishment and he does, he is the most disobedient they do his chores until I find out so he won't get in trouble! Then they do get time out or spanking they are younger. He occasionally has bullied his siblings (not currently) and letting him play football made aggression worse and brought on an enjoyment of being injured attitude that is currently gone.

We hoped sports would burn off aggressive energy. This is where I feel that forced counseling may be called for, regarding anger management but how does that work when he does not want to be there and I have been his father since he was a toddler and he never has liked talking about feelings with anyone!

My wife used drugs in her teens due to priest abuse and doesn't see that in him in an illicit way he uses caffeine as a "high" and that does concern us greatly as it is beyond extreme. We have forced him to start weaning himself off the caffeine. We also told him privacy is not right for him in this house in full, because we are so concerned about the behaviors and lack of discussion.

I dont have experience from a parenting side to offer, however I do have something that may be relevent to offer, in the OP you mentioned that there is a disabled sibling in the family, in my experience teaching teens and those that are about to become one this causes some "resentment" because in thier(the teens) eyes the disabled sibling "gets off easy" ie. less punishments, chores and the like. True or not most of the kids I've taught over the years see things that way. A possiable fix is something like a mentor where in an adult but still close to the teens age(say mid 20's) with similar intrests or whatever is there for the teen to talk to. We are doing this at my gym and from the parental responce it seems to be having an effect(that and I tell most teens that knuckleheads roll/spar with me, a prospect that most arent wanting more than once). just a thought.

We have forced him to start weaning himself off the caffeine.

Maybe that's part of the problem, not that you shouldn't have done it. But as you know, caffiene is a drug and you can get just as addicted to it as any other drug, so when you stop using it, your body will go through withdrawal. Just a thought.

I am just curious why a teen who is not your son or daughter doing in your house and why do you expect him to do basic chores in your house?

Felix, this is my wife's son from a dating assault before our marriage therefore his father is not in the picture. This young man does state and has since a very young age (one and a half) that he considers me his father and yes he knows the story about his moms assault (he has for years and use to discuss it with us quite a bit).

His bioligical father was found guilty put on a a restraining order, probation and beyond my understanding avoided prison and forced to pay support by the sate and also offered supervised contact by the state wich he has always refused. He will not let us have any contact with him at all. This man later put another lady in the hospital and did go to prison for attempted murder. He is a violent alcoholic and years ago stated a problem with narcotic,I pray for him to repent and to be healed.

To me this young man has been hurt seriously by his fathers sin and can't express the hurt in words as he approaches adulthood.

We had a really great day yesterday with him and I let him know how mature he had been and how loving he had been and how loved he was by God and us. He is very special to both of us.

Often here USA Kids are given an allowance.

Allowance means different things to different families
Some get an allowance for nothing other than to teach them about money
Some get it as a paycheck for doing chores around the home.

It is a family choice thing some kids dont get an allowance. I never did

Here in the USA childsupport is to cover the basic cost of raising a child as in shelter food gas lights all the cost that go with daily living it does not go the the child it goes to the parent who has coustidy.

BACK TO TOPIC

lord i ask that you work this out and only you know the pain. in your name.

God is able to work miracles, my wifes daughter while raised in a broken home was taught at a local baptist church. it gave her stability. she needed that small part of the word she got from there. its a seed planted and now has come to growth. she is a christian now but like me and my wife broken.

but that is another thread

There have been years when we received support and years when we did not . We have encouraged the other person involved years ago to let me be the "legal" father as there is no contact at his choosing. We had a "custody interference" years ago with other relatives and the police stated I had the right to "parent" as my wife was hospitalized and nobody else was seen fit do it. I just wish I could adopt him.

We see chores as teaching responsibility something he has asked us to help him learn to take more seriously (mainly with school) some are very simple, like making your own bed, taking turns with the trash. We also remember our house should not be divided and we always encourage the mentor idea and he does have two male mentors one younger than me one much older that encourage him to develop his own path and walk in the light.

Jruner,

I read your hurts. I also read a strong man doing right in the eyes of the Lord. You will get through the teen years. Some day this kid will apologize, most of us have....

jrunner,

I can relate to what you're going through. Our daughter is in full-fledged adolescence now and we are experiencing the same kind of melt-downs, the same perception that somehow she does more chores than her brother, that somehow life is just way more "unfair" for her than anyone else in the house.

She also lost her birth-family when she was young. I don't care how loving a home we provide for children who lose a birth-parent...the effect is profound and cannot be underestimated. I know lot of her current anger is because, as she gets older, she understands more and more what it meant that her parents didn't love her enough to do what it needed to take to be in her life.

Really, let that sink in. Your son is beginning to understand this about his own father...right at the time of life when all of us deal with the struggles of emerging from childhood into adulthood.

I know a number of kids who are in the position of dealing with the fact that a parent or both parents that they were born to more or less abandoned them to someone else. All of them...ALL OF THEM...have anger issues.

Understanding where the anger is coming from is one thing. It's important...vastly important...but understanding is only part of the picture.

What to do about things that cannot be changed is another part.

He needs to realize that anger about his father is OK. There is nothing inherently evil or wrong about anger, especially anger over the fact that his dad is a bum and a no-show in his life. He also needs to realize that, however OK his anger over all of this is...it's not going to change anything. And, his anger is having a negative impact on the rest of the family, because he is allowing the anger about his dad to come out as bad behavior within his family life.

It could very well be that professional counseling is in order. Our family has benefited from professional counseling with our daughter. While it wasn't "Christian" counseling, the counselor is a Christian and she always worked within the realm of Biblical principles. Mainly, she helped Steve and I understand what Viola was going through and how we, as her parents, could help her.

Whether you seek professional counseling or not, you do need to stick with certain ground rules: You, as the parent, set what the allowance is and what must be done to get it. If he wants more money, he needs to earn it. If he plays football, he must be a strapping young lad...I'm sure Challis has many opportunities for a strong young man...if not in a part-time job at a store or restaurant, perhaps bucking hay, mending fences, mowing lawns...

Our kids get a set allowance a month. This is to help them learn money management. It's not near enough to meet their financial needs. In order to really pay their way via outings with friends, buying gifts, purchasing things wanted but not needed, they need to earn extra money on their own. And we live way, way out in the middle of nowhere. But, each of our kids have figured out what they can do. My son works for his grandfather on our ranch...he bucks hay, mends fences, etc...Our daughter raises calves and goats for sale. She has also earned extra money doing jobs for me in the house...not normal housework or chores, that's just part of family life...but extra things like washing my car for me, cleaning out a shed...

What they can't do is just demand more money. Well....let me rephrase that...if our daughter demands more money...which lately she's been doing and throwing fits when she doesn't get it...it doesn't do any good.

Basically, what I'm getting at is that, as parents, we set what is and isn't going to fly as far as money...they have their set chores, they get paid their set allowance. The chores are expected to be done...no negotiation, no arguments...the allowance is what it is...spend it all, and it's gone. Just like Steve's paycheck.

So, then there's the matter of dealing with the teen fallout: the anger, the outbursts, the fits. For our daughter...she gets "unplugged"...no phone, mp3, computer, tv etc. If she still throws a fit, she gets sent to her room so that we don't have to hear it. She can come out when she can act like the young adult she claims to be.

The time to go over all this stuff is when things are calm and the teen is in a more reasonable frame of mind. Unless your son has an issue such as bi-polar or something, he is most likely to realize that his behavior is out of line and that the consequences are perfectly fair and just. He also should realize that he if he wants more money, he needs to earn it, not throw a temper tantrum.

Adolescence is just a rough time overall...and for kids dealing with abandonment issues, it's even rougher. Let him know that you understand that he's going through a tumultuous time, but that he needs to exercise self-control and not hold the entire house hostage to his own anger and outbursts and that he will face consequences for bad behavior. Then consistently follow through.

As far as the deeper anger issues, if not professional counseling, just cluing in his mentors and encouraging him to talk things over and express how he's feeling...giving him the validation that he did indeed get a raw deal and it does indeed suck...might help.

It might also help to remember that he does have a real dad who does love him and that he isn't the man his birth-dad is...he can be and is a better person.

nathan may be headed for this as his dad is well useless.

he had the audacity to call nathans mom and asked her to tell him happy bday.monica didnt. if the sorry man cant take time to talk to his own flesh then i cant blame monica. its one thing if it was a call and something that was to the effect his dad couldnt call due to some reasonable situation on his birthday

at church we have ministry to these types and yes i can see the hurt in them. :nono2:sad

Teen with rebellious attitudes should be disciplined and taught respect. Having a behavior such as being defiant will not lead them to the good path. Parents should not stop guiding their children, because kids now a day are having a hard time distinguishing the difference between good and bad because of external factors.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back