Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Holy Ghost vs Holy Spirit

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Classik

This will amaze you that there are differences between the use of both terms. Both are the same (in trinity), but the expression may not always be the same or interchangeable always

Hi Brother Classic, my understanding is that only the KJV version of the bible used the terminology “Holy Ghost”, and any differences were merely the work the Holy Spirit was doing at any portion of scripture. I hope that I don't go off topic of your thinking by submitting the following.

E.g., Joh 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Heb 13:20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus . .
This is not apparent for all to see, but consider the following context:
Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
Rom 8:10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
Rom 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

Ghost and Spirit are the same word in the original language. It is only a translator's preference that King James borrowed from earlier translations. (The Bishops and Geneva translations do the same.) Generally, if the word is prefixed with "Holy", then it is translated "Ghost" (except in Psalm 51:11, Isa. 63:10-11, Luke 11:13, Eph. 1:13, 4:30, and 1 Thess. 4:8).

And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost (pneuma), and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit (pneuma) gave them utterance. (Acts 2:4 KJV)​

Personally, I don't like when the the same word is translated differently if the meaning is the same (or translating words of different meanings to the same word)... it makes it harder to do word studies without access to the Hebrew or Greek, and with some words can obscure the meaning. At least "ghost" has the same meaning as "spirit".

Yea. Just that in some cases it doesn't sound just right when applied to GOD: And the Ghost of GOD hovered over the surface of the earth....
that sounds like the expression used for the spirit of a dead body, you know.

Spirit itself has more than one meanings: of a dead, of the body soul and spirit, demon (maybe) and of the trinity. four in this case

And I dont really know why HE is even called 'Spirit' anyway. And God, the Holy Spirit and Jesus are not humans in the first place. Perhaps no proper word for Spirit; and it is something beyond human understanding. maybe thats why we have the term. what is the original biblical expression for that?

This will amaze you that there are differences between the use of both terms. Both are the same (in trinity), but the expression may not always be the same or interchangeable always
Although I use and recommend the KJV, for some strange reason, the translators have not been consistent with "Holy Spirit" and "Holy Ghost". Their preference is "Holy Ghost" since in 1611 Ghost meant Spirit. But when the words "holy" and "Spirit" do occur together, there is only one instance where the two words are capitalized as we use them (Luke 11:13). But even here, the original KJV has "holy Spirit", and it is from the later editions that we get both words capitalized. And frequently neither "holy" nor "spirit" are capitalized (even to this day), even though the context makes it clear that the reference is to God the Holy Spirit. It is also unfortunate that both "Ghost" and "Spirit" have been used for the same Hebrew or Greek word.

As far as your contention that "there are differences between the use of both terms", theologically there is no difference whatsoever. It is always the Spirit of God, a Divine Person, who is spoken of, and generally as "the Holy Ghost".

And I dont really know why HE is even called 'Spirit' anyway. And God, the Holy Spirit and Jesus are not humans in the first place. Perhaps no proper word for Spirit; and it is something beyond human understanding. maybe thats why we have the term. what is the original biblical expression for that?
Scripture is very clear that God (the Father) is a Spirit (Jn 4:24), therefore the Spirit of God -- the third Person of the Godhead -- is also Spirit. And even the American Indians recognized that there was one "Great Spirit" who was sovereign in the world. And so did the Hindus (the Indian Indians). According to the Hindu scriptures (the Upanishads) he is imperishable, formless, unborn, and heavenly.

The proper word for the Holy Spirit is indeed "Holy Spirit" because He is immaterial and invisible. That is why the Lord Jesus likened Him and His work of the New Birth as akin to the wind, which can be felt but not seen (Jn 3:8).

While th triune Godhead is indeed "beyond understanding" each Person of the Godhead has His own distinctive functions and ministry. Thus the Spirit is given many names and titles in Scripture. As long as God walked on this earth as a Man called Jesus of Nazareth, the Hoy Spirit could not be "poured out upon all flesh" as promised in Joel (Joel 2:28, where "spirit" should have been capitalized). But once Christ had ascended and been exalted at the right hand of the Father, both the Father and the Son could send the Holy Spirit to earth, starting on the first Pentecost after the crucifixion (Acts 2:1-47). Christ had to "finish" the work of redemption before the Holy Spirit could be given to sinners as a gift. Thus on the day of resurrection, the Lord "breathed" the Holy Spirit into His apostles (Jn 20:22,23).

While th triune Godhead is indeed "beyond understanding" each Person of the Godhead has His own distinctive functions and ministry

Romans 1:19-20
Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

eddif

Reckon?
Did you just rattle my chain? LOL

eddif

I really did not remember this when I commented on chain
http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=ipad&p=haunted+house+song
If ipad is a problem haunted house Sam the Sham.

Ghost highways to understanding Holy Spirit.
Luke 24:39
Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

Some things do not have a touchable existence, but they can become touchable. It is rather hard to grab moonbeams, but I will try and not run from the challenge.

This is springing from Romans 1:19-20. Previous post,

Sunshine (from the greatest and longest lasting energy source in our physical lives) can move across space and by the marvel of photosynthesis become a fruit. Now to me that is the Holy Ghost example from creation?

Father - the sun
Son - the moon
Spirit - the light

Jesus had a body (notice the damaged areas on the moon - as it protects earth).

Revelation 22:5
And there shall be no night there; and they need no lamp, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God gives them light: and they shall reign forever and ever.
(Notice father light - duh)

If you want in us; creation did that too. (Another post)

I ain't gonna run (by grace).
Ghost highway # 1 - Space

eddif

I guess anything unseen that is alive is called a ghost. And a spirit is unseen yet lives so same thing. Holy spirit ghost.
We just have to remember there are ghosts that are not Holy. Evil ghosts we avoid. Holy Ghost we open the door. Revelation 3:20

eddif

thats why its called Holy Ghost. evil spirits/unholy ghosts are demons. Thats why people get possesed and Jesus and apostles cast out demons. Holy power is greater than unholy power.
Not everyone can discern the difference in spirits. Some have not trained their senses .
Hebrews 5:14
But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

The gift of discerning of spirits is needed for today. I have seen some accept evil, because something spiritual was happening. Just because you feel a spiritual experience, that does not mean it is good. We may use our natural senses , but they are trained. I felt God is not all there is to making a decision. If Jesus was tempted, then we all at risk.

eddif

Ghost highway # 2 - space in us

Nerve synapse
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synapse

Signals are passed from one nerve to another, but on the way there is a space the signal must pass / cross. The conversation usually talks about chemical or electrical signals crossing the tiny space, but all said and done the space is there.

The reality is:
1. An angel can bring a message across a void.
2. Holy Spirit communicates across a void.

eddif why are you talking about nerves.
The trinity man; the trinity. Space is the frontier of Holy Spirit. Communication from us to the Father and Son.

Real Ghostly.

eddif

Ghost highway # 3 - Space in atmosphere

The power of lightning. From a cloud to cloud or cloud to earth (across a void). Right now I will have to leave off negative and positive charges.

Nothing was created without a teaching intention. God is a master teacher. A teacher that encourages seeking the correct answer. Having hidden truth to be sought out.

eddif

Ghost highway # 4 - from heart to tongue
Psalms 119:11
Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

The desperately wicked and deceitful heart with its AV, SA node and pathways / bundles (natural pacemaker). The natural pacemaker can meditate on the word.

Isaiah 6 has a coal on the alter taken to the lips. Actually the heart can have information taken to the speech center of the brain. Poets seem to practice this. The problem is the stony heart with an angel taking the word to a carnal mind (what kind of space is this?).

We need the born again experience of a heart of flesh and Holy Spirit inside our mind. With the mind we then can serve the law of Christ.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_conduction_system_of_the_heart

This highway was described by the John the Baptist kingdom message beginning.

eddif

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back