Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How do you learn to be happy with what you have?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I've been trying to save money for years, but something always comes up. Even if I save a little, I always end up having to spend it on something important. I've given up. I guess I'll just have to be happy with what I have... which isn't much.

I know I'm supposed to be happy for having a roof over my head, good health, and family (mom, siblings), but I don't have much else. I just can't seem to get the hang of being happy with so little.

Anything that is above our needs are those things that become our wants or desires. God wants us to have nice things to enjoy, but if we put those things above God fretting over trying to buy them then we are allowing Satan to still our joy as we need to be happy and content with what we have, even if it is not that much. It's good to have savings as there will always be something down the road that will break down.

Here is an idea, why not break it in half of the amount you save as one being for breakdowns and the other half saving for things you want. Even if it's only $20 at a time, divided it in half and watch it grow as you add to it.

I've been trying to save money for years, but something always comes up. Even if I save a little, I always end up having to spend it on something important. I've given up. I guess I'll just have to be happy with what I have... which isn't much.

I know I'm supposed to be happy for having a roof over my head, good health, and family (mom, siblings), but I don't have much else. I just can't seem to get the hang of being happy with so little.
Save your money for when you really need it. You never know when your world will be turned upside down.

You've been saving money. For what? Just to save it? That would be un-Biblical. Jesus told a story about this sort of thing.

16 Then He spoke a parable to them, saying: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded plentifully.
17 And he thought within himself, saying, ‘What shall I do, since I have no room to store my crops?’
18 So he said, ‘I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods.
19 And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry.” ’
20 But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?’

21 So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.”
Luke 12:16-21 NKJV

On the other hand, if you are saving responsibly and within reason for emergency repairs or other unforeseen needed expenses, that's a little different. Scripture speaks of this as well in Genesis 17-36 when Joseph interpreted Pharoah's dreams and saying there will be seven years of plenty followed by seven years of famine and that some of their crops should be stored during the good years in order to have enough food to survive the famine.

Likewise, it is responsible to save up to about six months of necessary expenses. This could be helpful to get by if you lost your source of income for a period of time while you look for other means of income.

It's also responsible to save for purchases so you don't have to borrow money if possible. I realize there are some things that cost too much for this to always work out. I have always lived by the rule that I never borrow money for toys or pleasure. Throughout my life the only things I have ever borrowed money to purchase were a home, automobile, and part of my college education. Everything else I paid cash. Yes, that meant I went without or purchased lower quality for sometimes a long time.

In 2001, I leased a new Ford F150 for 2 years. The lease allowed for up to 24K miles and the buy out price was set at the time of purchase. I only put on 20K miles so when the time came it was a good buy out price and so I borrowed the money to buy the truck. In 2006 when I paid off that loan, I continued to make the payment to my savings account to save for when I would trade that vehicle in. In 2009 I traded it in on a new F150 and paid for almost 3/4 of the new truck price. I paid off that loan in less than four years and then continued to make my payments to my savings account again. In 2016, I traded that one and paid the $20,000.00 in cash for the difference. Doing this in this way saved me thousands of dollars in interest.

In 1991 we bought our home. The house was an old farmhouse that needed to be restored. In a nutshell, I replaced the entire electrical system, put in footings and basement under about 2/3 of the house that was lacking, stripped the entire inside of lath and plaster and replaced with drywall, insulated the walls that had no insulation, replaced the siding and rebuilt the entire roof. Except for the roof, siding, and kitchen, we did all the work ourselves with the help of neighbors. We saved money and when we could afford it, we would remodel a room. Yes, it was messy a lot and it took over 12 years to completion but we did not have to pay a contractor or borrow any money and this saved us 10's of thousands of dollars.

Don't even get me started on credit cards. To me, it is an extremely foolish and irresponsible means to manage money.

Bottom line is that you should not give up. Set goals and stick to them as much as is practical and possible. Will you have setbacks? Most likely but if you succeed it will be well worth it.

Couple more things Scripture says about this.

5 Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”
Hebrews 13:5 ESV

11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.
12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.
13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

Philippians 4:11-13 ESV

31 "Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’
32 For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.
33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you."
Matthew 6:31-33 ESV

Last edited:
Find a hobby/past time,something to focus your mind on.Just something you can afford,something small or big,pick something that your mind will constantly have to chew on.Google Rod Stewart's Model Train Display,ITS INCREDIBLE!,It's what he did to unwind.Make a few friends,male and female,dont take the people around you for granted.Gain coping skills,the sun will always come up tomorrow.

As it is written, And having food and raiment, let us be therewith content. The only necessities in life are food, clothes, and shelter; everything else is want. As for food, we need not caviar and champagne, but a mere hamburger and coke is sufficient; as for clothes, we need not designer garments, but mere basic clothing; as for shelter, we need not a mansion, but a mere simple home. Again it is written, Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate: We are to lower ourselves to common and practical means, such as what a carpenter, fisherman, or tent-maker life would consist of; and not those of a kings court.

Charles Dickens put it in the mouth of Mr Mccorber, " income 20 dollars expenditure 20 dollars and a dime result misery.
Income 20 dollars expenditure 19 dollars and a dime result happiness"

Hey All,
QuestionGuy, the best thing you can do to live contently, is turn off the TV. The shows exist so networks can advertise products and services, all of which you cannot live without. The ads exist to create anxiety for the consumer.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

This is the reality of lower classes. But on other hand, we can take encouragement in that Jesus had even less, depended on others for food, and shelter, so Jesus traded comfort in order to reach others in other areas (it's not like he denied himself job, or trying to be purposefully homeless, but due to being farther from hometown, and he's poor even there).

Okay, that's what Bible show us. Truth is, I know, even I struggle with this question. But, I think solution is to invest in timeless things, that hold better value.

Like, you can have great sense of fashion, but you only limit yourself to few good looking timeless pieces, and those things can drive long time. Just like some people still have grandfather watch, which can still look good. Or a few rings, which are not seasonal fashion, but something that you can wear any season. Just how white shirt and pants always look good on man, and with a few accessories, you up your game, and look fashionable, and nobody would suspect.

Like, good idea is to spend on fake jewelry instead of real. Because real one is pricey, in of itself doesn't carry too much value other than higher price (okay, better quality and longevity, but still, you can find cheap (fake) ones which also have good quality).

Also, you can find mid-range phone, which provide same speed and features.

Just as one said, if you deliberately save 1$ for yourself, and spend 19$ on needed things, you can be happy, because you can take joy, that you didn't do slave work, and can reward yourself something.
That 1$ can be monthly subscription to some service which can provide

With good money management you can be happy, or at least content with things you bought and thus happy and fulfilled. As we shouldn't be fixated solely on earthly things. True, it's good to have something to show, like, it's not okay to expect we spend all our money just because it's asked from us, it's not selfish to hold on a few $ for yourself, it would be selfish if you save it and know somebody else really need it, and you can do it without, and thus you can be happy because you did good deed in faith by helping somebody in need. You gave in your lacking, unlike some who give to others in their excess.

Isn't that written in Bible, who does that great is his reward.

And if you're single, I think finding cheap hobby can go a long way. Something like fishing ? Or learning new things, buy arduino and every penny you save you gonna enjoy as you build project and practice coding skills on it as hobby. As parts are cheap, and thus it's rewarding to buy parts that can help you finish interesting project. Or start investing in better PC, so you can do programming, or game dev, or try out painting.
For those things you can save up quickly and can be quite enjoyable.

But if you have family, then I think issue is money management in family, that's why you don't have for yourself, because you give all money to your wife, who probably don't have impulse control like you do. Don't be deprived for her sake.

This is the reality of lower classes.
It doesn't even have to be limited to lower classes. In my life I have experienced times of plenty and I have experienced tough times although I was never so destitute that I was living on the street. One thing I learned along the way was it doesn't matter how much money we have, we always think we are just getting by and we need more. Back in 1982 I was single and making good money. My total monthly bills (rent, utilities, groceries, car insurance, student loan, etc.) equaled about $2000.00 per month while my net income was about $1,300.00 per month. Despite this, it was a regular thing for me to be writing checks up to three days before payday banking on my paycheck getting deposited before the checks were charged to my account. I was living paycheck to paycheck and less. The more we have the more we want. That is human nature and human greed. This shows up with lottery winners too. On average, roughly 1/3 of all lottery winners are broke within three to five years.

I would say more than anything that contentment is basically a fruit of the Spirit. Some that God works in you over time. It is something we have to work at and pray about.

Col_3:5 Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.

Heb_13:5 Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU NOR FORSAKE YOU."

1Ti 6:8 And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content. 9 But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition.

They that desire to be rich. It is not the possession of riches, but the love of them that leads men into temptation.

But if you have family, then I think issue is money management in family, that's why you don't have for yourself, because you give all money to your wife, who probably don't have impulse control like you do.
nod-al-bundy.gif

I hated living in poverty. Mine was buffered by estranged parents so it never was in the streets poverty. And now…

I don’t live in poverty. In the community I’m still regarded as poor white trash which is frustrating and confusing 🫤. Just today…keep in mind I live in a small city 🏙️ so it’s not like living in a small town especially since I keep a low profile…
I ran into a big box drugstore to get snacks. I was hoping for on sale candy 🍭 lol 😆. A clerk followed me into the aisle went thru the motions of doing work but she really was just being obnoxious. Thing is…

I was reasonably well dressed and freshly showered 🧼 and…? Maybe 🤔 it never ends?
Sorry 😞 to ramble…

Poverty is oppressive. Maybe 🤔 I’m being whiny 😫 saying that but it’s my honest opinion. Poverty…not just the sheer number of people in poverty but the day to day life of people in poverty…
Is worse in the USA than in many other affluent developed nations. Some of it is cultural and a lot of it is just how authoritarian and draconian USA is becoming and it gets worse as one moves down the totem pole.

So I dunno 🤷‍♂️ my prayers are with you and the poor matter to Jesus Christ in special ways. I don’t think oppression and or poverty are compatible with the good news 📰. Not that Christians are not ever poor…far from it…
But that this dark world 🌎 oppresses many in various ways and His will is not to be fully realized in the present age but faith is the key 🔑. Faith in Christ Jesus who will be with you to the end of the age…

The Bible Says be content (not happy) with food and clothing.
And there is contentment in Godliness.
"6 But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 8 But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that."

the best thing you can do to live contently, is turn off the TV. The shows exist so networks can advertise products and services, all of which you cannot live without. The ads exist to create anxiety for the consumer.
So important often overlooked: One example: communities in Pennsylvania were asked how they avoided over the last few years the troubles that much of the world was experiencing. They simply replied "none of us have television".

I remember a story a long time ago about a company that built a factory in some small village somewhere. The people would come and work and when they got their first paycheck, they wouldn't come back. They had earned more money than they had ever seen in their lives.

One guy in the company got the idea and he ordered a bunch of something like Sears catalogues, and gave them out to the people. When these people saw all the things there was out there, it was no problem getting them to come back to work. Now they had things they wanted to buy.

Back