Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How important do you feel extracurricular activities/sports are?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Nikki

My girls haven't been involved in any sort of activities for several years now. My oldest has tried out for many sports in middle school but she's never made the cut. She's never given up though and I give her SO much credit for continuing to go for what she wants. Last week she went to cheer tryouts for the high school and made first cuts but not the final cuts. She was devastated and I can tell that it's beginning to affect her self confidence. They said she was so close, but that she just didn't have all her jumps mastered as well as the other girls that are in all star cheer. She LOVES cheering and hasn't done it since Upwards at church 4 years ago. She's always wanted to do all star cheer, but we've never had the money (we're talking close to $3,000/year for where most of the girls here go), plus, we aren't up for all that traveling. They do a LOT of traveling and have like 3 practices a week.

I just found an all star cheer team that has a non-travel team with only 1 practice per week and only local competitions. It's $65/month and while I know it will make money a little tighter, I'm willing to work extra just to pay for it. All my friends and family keep telling me that she will really benefit on being part of a team. This place is very family oriented, yet the girls learn just as much as they do at the other place (the $3,000/year place).

So, before I make a final decision, what are the pros and cons of having kids involved in extracurricular activities/sports?

The pros, of course, are that the child is involved in doing something they love that gets them out and about... building up confidence and learning to work in a team environment.

The cons... first of all with cheer-leading, you'll have to be really diligent to make sure that it's not sexualizing your daughter. My niece was a cheerleader and then a cheer coach and she finally gave it up because when it came to competitive cheerleading, those who didn't get into the really sexy routines wound up not having a chance at the titles. Sad, but very true. It was way too discouraging for the girls to know that, after all their hard work, they weren't going to get a title, not for anything. Not all teams are like this, and the "official" word is always that sex is not to be part of the routines.. but, at least in this neck of the woods, ever shorter and skimpier outfits and overtly sexual routines have become, sadly, too normal. My niece was also too discouraged at how many of the parents of the girls started to pressure her to sex up the routines a bit so that they could compete... She was going to have a baby anyway, so she just walked away.

Just out of curiosity, I googled "all star cheer" images: I found pictures of even little girls, 7 to 9 years of age in short-short skorts and midriff baring shirts. Now, just the outfits aren't enough alone to say that they are over sexualizing things.. but for me, it's a red flag. I don't let Viola wear midriff baring swimsuits... and I wouldn't be OK with her wearing a midriff baring cheerleader outfit as well.

If you are satisfied that the team your daughter wants to be on is not overly sexual... then the other thing you'll have to count is the time and the cost. At one practice a week and $65 per month, that's not too bad... you know if you can afford it and if it won't be too time consuming. If all these things come together for being OK... sure, being part of a team and doing something fun is always a good thing! :yes

This particular gym we are looking into actually has long sleeve uniforms with no bellys showing. They have to wear shorts and a t-shirt that they are given to practice in. It's a loose tshirt with the cheer logo on it.
The "popular" cheer place here makes their girls wear a sports bra and shorts to practice. I was like NO WAY! DD was telling me at the high school cheer tryouts, one of the girls trying out that went to the "popular" cheer place took her shirt off and only had on a sports bra. She said the cheer coach was like "Um, no....we don't do that on our team. Put your shirt back on".

Oh, and that's funny you mentioned about the titles. A friend whos daughter goes to the "popular" gym said that the place we like doesn't win much. I told her winning wasn't important to us. DD just wanted to have fun doing what she enjoys and that she just wants to be part of a team. Winning a "title" or trophy isn't important to us. I keep telling DD to think of this as preparation for cheer tryouts next year and to just have fun. That's what it's supposed to be about anyways. This particular place is much more family oriented. They also do a lot for the community....especially those with disabilities. They even have a team for kids with disabilities and they even go to the competitions and compete. :)

Sounds like a good place. I think what frustrated my niece was that she couldn't get the team to look at it in that way because too many of the parents placed an emphasis on winning the titles.

Interesting what parents will sell their kids out for. :shame

Anyway, it sounds like you've found a good place for your daughter. I'd say, if you can afford it, let her do it.

I'm very big into having our kids in different stuff. Our oldest loved hockey and as an adult he still plays! I can't speak for girls, but the boys love the feeling of being strong, so I have to assume that girls enjoy the feeling of being healthy and active too.

What I like about having the kids in other activities, it that it keeps them busy, which means less time for mischief lol. It also gives us one more commen interest to talk about.

My youngest so loves wrestling. 2 years ago he lost every match, but he hung in there. This year he won almost every match until regionals where he put on a few pounds and put him in another weight class and his goal of going to state were quashed very quickly. He worked so hard too. But it all builds character, and there are many opportunities for teaching your kids along the way.

Let the kids do it! I have 3 boys ages 14, 10 and 9 and all are involved in sports. My oldest plays basketball, my middle child plays football and my 9 year old played traveling AAU basketball but told me that he wanted to play soccer or lacrosse. I can admit that year round I am busy with them and it does cost money, but I think it's worth it in the end. I guess I don't mind making the necessary sacrifices for their happiness. I will admit the traveling basketball was a bit much and costly, and I was so glad when he decided that he didn't want to play anymore. However, I support my kids in whatever they want to do and will go the extra mile to provide them with the necessary training or camps for them to be successful.

Can't really speak on cheerleading because I don't have girls, but if I did, I would be a bit nervous about her cheering.

Let the kids do it! I have 3 boys ages 14, 10 and 9 and all are involved in sports. My oldest plays basketball, my middle child plays football and my 9 year old played traveling AAU basketball but told me that he wanted to play soccer or lacrosse. I can admit that year round I am busy with them and it does cost money, but I think it's worth it in the end. I guess I don't mind making the necessary sacrifices for their happiness. I will admit the traveling basketball was a bit much and costly, and I was so glad when he decided that he didn't want to play anymore. However, I support my kids in whatever they want to do and will go the extra mile to provide them with the necessary training or camps for them to be successful.

Can't really speak on cheerleading because I don't have girls, but if I did, I would be a bit nervous about her cheering.

Oh, I AM going to be a nervous wreck. I'm afraid of her breaking her neck or something. She tumbles all the time at home and she and her friends try to do all these stunts. I'm always having to fuss at them to stop. At least I can find comfort now that she will be doing it with professionals around and in a gym with a bouncy floor instead of the hard ground.

Look at how far we've come since I was a kid in the 70's. What ever happened to kids playing in local rec leagues? I knew two kids that played in Federation Baseball. Today, it seems every family with kids that play sports have at least one in travel leagues or costly club leagues. IMO, it's gotten WAY out of hand. We got carried away with it, too. Our son play Fed baseball for years which meant practice every day, games 3-4 days a week, tournaments on weekends, and fundraisers every month. Oh, and lots of money. Lots and lots of money.

My son wouldn't have made a Fed team 30 years ago. His younger sisters wouldn't have had to adjust their lives to accommodate his. I think the way we've upped the ante on sports sends the wrong message to our kids that their interests are greater than the family's as a whole. There's a difference between parents sacrificing for their children so they can have good things in life and making them the center of their universe by wrapping their lives around a sport.

Now, if a child is truly gifted in something and is clearly a standout in a sport, okay, but this should be the exception; not the rule. Too many kids never know playing sports for the simple love of the game. They are thrown right into competitive situations. That's sad.

My girls have done soccer, ballet, dance, karate, gymnastics, cheer leading, and several other activities and we always encounter the hard core activity parents. The ones who are writing their child's ticket to stardom and fortune....ug! :bigfrown

My oldest daughter just decided to drop gymnastics after 2 years because she says she's learned all she wanted, and the next step would be to join the gymnastics team, which we will not do.

what get's me are these parents who think they are doing a smart thing to get their child into college....:confused: Gymnastics is especially stupid as a college plan.

These girls will spend 8 hours a week minimum to train. Many train 20 hours a week. Back and forth to the gym, fees for that. Fees for the team clothing and the team needs to have the same bags. Cost of travel, hotel and the injury's it's about $10,000 a year min and upwards of $20K.

You could save that money in an annuity and send your kid to college. They could spend time studying. That's what we do.

If my child shows an exceptional talent and really wants to pursue it that's different, but we have them focus on academics. My girls are straight A students on the principle's list each year, and that, I tell them, will build their future to function working in the world.

Neither one of my girls are exceptionally athletic :lol...one does not want to break a nail and the other thinks she wants to play tennis because she just loves the outfits. :lol

My oldest will be entering 6th grade next year. She is part of a gifted academia program and she needs to decide what extra curricular activities she will pursue. We are steering her towards her talents. singing (Choir) and anything to do with mathematics. She is exceptionally bright with numbers, and she tutors other children at the school before class. She is one of only three students who work in the math tutoring program at school. My wife and I joke that by high school she is going to be the prettiest nerd in class. :lol

562612_3975478113505_1477148750_3380186_1705153351_n.jpg

The bible says in Proverbs 22:6; 6 Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.....some say "train up" same thing. While this indicates instilling an understanding of God and a healthy fear of the Lord, it also means that we should examine our children for their talents; their God given abilities and gifts. We are to foster that.

If I have a garden, and I'm growing tomatoes, I'm not going to try and make a watermelon out of a tomato. :) rather I'm going to foster the growth of the tomato to be the best tomato.

When it comes to extra curricular activities for our children, I think it's best to allow them to try things, see where they fall and build them up where they are, not where we want them to be. These children we have been blessed to care for are not ours, and we need to know that. They are God's creations entrusted to us. How awesome is that? God blesses two people; a man and a woman in this way. Wrapped in Love and bound in marriage with children on loan from God in their care, and made by God from those two people. :)

The world does not see this. If it did, it would treat marriage and sex and children very differently. But, we are to be mindful of the special nature of what is true as we raise these gifts, and train them up in the way they should go, not in the way the world says or thinks.

Sports are fine, and some kids are very talented in this way, but the world places a high emphasis on things like athletics and I think many parents feel pressured into going along with it, or they want to instill some parental pride in what the world says. As Christian parents we don't need to feel that pressure.

My children attend public school. We arm them to be agents for Christ in the world and not of the world. I tell them they don't have to compete. There is no competition. Everyone has been given certain gifts and talents that they are to use for the glory of God, not for their own glory or some trophy.

My daughter has medals, certificates and robins she been awarded for academics and scores on state exams. She does not display them because she is embarrassed. She does not wear her glasses for the same reason. She already knows that the world does not value smart people, but I tell her; look anyone who plays a sport these days get's a trophy and often the parents buy them, but only a hand full of kids earn awards for math and perfect scores. No one buys that......so you see not all is perfect. I have lots of work to do despite that smiling photo of the smart girl I am so very proud of, because just beneath that is a girl not sure if the world will be so accepting of her as her dad is.

God's children need not be ashamed of their talents, whatever it is, and we are in place to train, guide and foster them in the way they should go.

True story; I grew up with a kid down the street who was seen as an idiot. He attended our church. Could not play ball and barely passed school. Every summer he mowed lawns because he did not have very many friends to hang out with, but he did have some great parents.

His father bought him some lawn mowing equipment and that's what he did every summer, that's what he did after high school and today he owns one of the largest landscaping companies in Texas. He was trained up by Christian parents, in the way he should go. That's all the extra curricular activity any of us need to focus on when it comes to our children, and that's how important it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I am just one of those parents that supports their kids and their dreams. As a football coach, it breaks my heart to see the lack of support some parents show their kids especially those that have talent. It is even more troublesome when I see the mom taking and supporting her son at football practice/games and the father is nowhere to be found. How can that be?

My dad did me the same way when I was growing up and played football and basketball. Today's sports are really more expensive and much more is required then when I played, but my dad would pay for camps, training sessions, etc.

At the end of the day, I just want my kids to be successful in whatever they do and to give God the glory . . .

Not to brag on my kids because I rarely do, but God was on full display this past weekend at my oldest son's middle school basketball playoff game. All season, I have been praying with him and asking God to give him favor on the court so that He can get the glory. I prayed to just touch my son C.J. in a mighty way. All season long, he played ok, but it was at a critical game when my prayers were answered. His team was losing in the 3rd quarter and the coach put my son in the game. The next thing I knew, my son started hitting jump shot after jump shot. It was if the Holy Spirit took over him and he couldn't miss. Then, the rest of the team starting making shots and nobody miss. His team went from being down by 4 to up by 20 points in about 5 minutes. People were literally asking, is God on this team? After the game, I told him, "you see the power of prayer? You see how God can move in your life because you never lost faith?" God is so good!!!!

I guess I am just one of those parents that supports their kids and their dreams. As a football coach, it breaks my heart to see the lack of support some parents show their kids especially those that have talent. It is even more troublesome when I see the mom taking and supporting her son at football practice/games and the father is nowhere to be found. How can that be?

Anyone that's ever coached has dealt with extreme parents from the ones who treat the team like day-care to the ones who brawl in the stands. Regardless...

I've seen the results of teenage surveys where they asked 16-18 YO's if they believed they had a legitimate chance at making the pros. Now that I searched for them to provide a link I can't find them, but I'm sure they're out there. I think the massive increase in club sport teams have contributed to the unrealistic expectations that they can/will make a living from it. If these were 8 YO's, you could chalk it up to immaturity, but these kids were at the age when they are preparing for their adult lives. Decades ago, it was the elite athletes who who were still playing competitively at that age. Today, it's virtually every kid playing.

Sports has the potential to be very instrumental in building character, increasing discipline, sharpening mental dexterity, and improving overall health, no doubt. I believe even being a fan of sports teams as a youth has a benefit. Kids can learn about disappointment and suffering a loss. There has got to be a proportionate balance of encouragement and realism.

As goes the household overall, so goes sports in America. We have bigger houses, more cars, take more extravagant vacations, and generally have more "stuff" than we did 30 years ago. Our families strap themselves financially with a lot of excess, and shelling out hundreds or thousands of dollars every season is part of the problem, IMO. No more keeping your hat and turning in the rest of the uniform. Every season, they're on the hook for the full body outfit. They don't train out on the field alone. They pay for athletic facility access.

Few kids seem to play for the love of the game anymore. Many know only competitiveness and pressure, even at a very young age. This leads to burn out, and many walking away from the sport with resentment.

Mike,

Great point about the realistic expectations. When asked, my 10 year old will say to play in the NFL. I get nervous. I mean, I'm cool with him saying that he wants to go to Oregon or Florida for college, but when all he talks about is the NFL it scares me. With the rash of NFL athletes leaving the sport and can't cope with life without football, it troubles my soul. I am thankful that he knows the Lord and if that day ever comes, he will allow God to prepare him for life after football. You read and hear about the horror stories, so I just pray that he goes a different path.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back