Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How is Jesus the light of the world

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Jesus is the light of the world (John 8:12), because he sheds light on the Truth. The Truth is love; and love is God. Love is the only truth, because, true love is unconditional. It will, therefore, never disappear, die or give up on us. On the other hand, friendships, emotions, feelings and attractions are conditional. They can, therefore, vanish, if the conditions are unfavorable. Even matter can disappear into nothing, as it does in the black holes; because, its existence is totally dependent on the forces that hold atoms and subatomic particles together.

God, as the person of Jesus, showed us true love through his teachings, life and sacrifice. He taught us to love our enemy, pray for them and do good to them; if someone takes our coat, give them our shirt as well; offer the other cheek if someone slaps us on one; lend and do not expect it back; be merciful like our heavenly Father is merciful (Luke 6:27-36); give away our belongings and follow him (Matt.91:21); condemn no one (John 8:10); bring healing to those who hurt and betray us; and stay faithful to our marriage covenant even when there is betrayal and infidelity (Mark 10:9 and Hosea 3:1). He brought healing to the sick and forgiveness to sinners. Finally, he showed us the ultimate truth about love, by accepting the most painful and humiliating death on the cross to bring forgiveness and redemption to those who hurt and betrayed him. In other words, he the victim, with his life, paid the price of our offenses, we committed against him.

he sheds light on the Truth
No Jesus is the TRUTH, yes he sheds light on what is truth, but he does that by bringing us to know him.
Love is the only truth, because, true love is unconditional.
Love does not equal truth. Love can and is corrupted and distorted by sentimentality.
The True Love that Jesus lavishes on us wants the best for us.
Note the best is to be in a close relationship with him and with other Christian.
To get that best Jesus will do what ever it takes, no matter what short term pain is caused.
A life time of misery compared to an eternity of bliss. Do the maths what would you prefer.

John 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

John 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

The light was and still is the word of God that shines in darkness as the love of God by His grace through His only begotten Son Christ Jesus has given us the greatest gift of love through the light He sent into the world. Love being the greatest of all commands keeps us in the love of God in obedience to His perfect will for us. But, even though God draws us to Him by that light it is up to us to come to Him wanting that light to shine in us and through us to bring that light of Christ to others who are in darkness.

I think for_his_glory has got it spot on. Light and darkness in scripture is often also a metaphor for good and evil.

We stumble in the darkness when evil is in control, we can't see were we are going and get led astray. The darkness can only be rebuked by light and God is clothed in it which makes the darkness run away. He illuminates our surroundings in order for us to see the way to him.

I think for_his_glory has got it spot on. Light and darkness in scripture is often also a metaphor for good and evil.

We stumble in the darkness when evil is in control, we can't see were we are going and get led astray. The darkness can only be rebuked by light and God is clothed in it which makes the darkness run away. He illuminates our surroundings in order for us to see the way to him.

Hi Christ the King and welcome to CF :wave2

Like what you said here about the light illuminating the darkness for where there is good, evil can not exist. If we are in Christ and He in us as we are indwelled with the Holy Spirit sin can not exist in the Spirit, but only in our flesh. Colossians 3:1-4.

Like what you said here about the light illuminating the darkness for where there is good, evil can not exist. If we are in Christ and He in us as we are indwelled with the Holy Spirit sin can not exist in the Spirit, but only in our flesh.

I don't think my comment is in disagreement with yours here.
I just basically meant to say we need good to overcome evil. Do u agree?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back