Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How many good deeds is enough?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Heidi

To those who think that God judges us by our works and that we can lose out salvation, how many good works is enough to enter heaven? How many Sundays do we attend church? How many hours a day should we help the needy? What's the magic number where the bible tells us we'll lose our salvation? Verses please. What did Christ's death on the cross do? Anything? Did he die for nothing?

In your dreams. James 2:10, "For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it."

Therefore, according to those who claim we enter heaven through works, then no one is going to heaven since we all stumble and fall short of the glory of God.

God says, not so. Jesus is our permanent sacrifice once for all as Hebrews 10 tells us. So those who haven't yet accepted his suffering, beatings, torture, mocking and death for your sins are up a creek without a paddle because there's no way to heaven without accepting Christ's atonement. You're stuck doing what the Jews still try to do; working your way to heaven which is impossible because "flesh and blood can't enter the kingdom of God." You guys have no clue what Jesus did for you so no wonder you don't have grateful hearts. :roll:

quote by Heidi on Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:20 pm
To those who think that God judges us by our works and that we can lose out salvation, how many good works is enough to enter heaven? How many Sundays do we attend church? How many hours a day should we help the needy? What's the magic number where the bible tells us we'll lose our salvation? Verses please. What did Christ's death on the cross do? Anything? Did he die for nothing?

Are any of us God? Only he knows what the rewards will be, He will judge all mankind by their works. If you can’t accept what he said about it, why would you believe a man? There is no point to telling you that scripture supports a ‘works’ salvation. You won’t believe it, even if you read it yourself. It is by following the words of Christ, doing works of faith, that we are in Christ. If we are not in Christ, and he in us, we abide in death. It’s just that simple. There is no special amount, no magic number, no secret formula.

quote by Heidi
In your dreams. James 2:10, "For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it."

Therefore, according to those who claim we enter heaven through works, then no one is going to heaven since we all stumble and fall short of the glory of God.

You’re stumbling at the stumbling stone. No one can enter heaven by works of the law, by simply keeping the law. We must repent of our sins and follow Christ and the blood of Christ will cleanse us from all sin. Therefore, it was not by our perfect works that we are saved, is it? No, we all have sinned. So God in his great mercy and love provided a sacrifice to cover those sins that we repent of. Repent and follow Christ. If you sin, repent again and return to following Christ. The Spirit convicts us of sin. Jesus ever lives to make intercession for us. “Verses please†? Give me a break. You know these things are true. Tell me what I have just said that is not biblically correct.

quote by Heidi God says, not so. Jesus is our permanent sacrifice once for all as Hebrews 10 tells us. So those who haven't yet accepted his suffering, beatings, torture, mocking and death for your sins are up a creek without a paddle because there's no way to heaven without accepting Christ's atonement. You're stuck doing what the Jews still try to do; working your way to heaven which is impossible because "flesh and blood can't enter the kingdom of God." You guys have no clue what Jesus did for you so no wonder you don't have grateful hearts.

Jesus died once for all sin, yes. We don’t confess once for all time though. We need to repent whenever we sin, otherwise, we are sinning willfully, we are not following Christ, and are not covered by his blood. You, dear child, are oblivious to what your salvation is based on. Think of the blood of Christ as the water in your shower. The water is always there, always waiting, always ready to wash away your filth. If you take one heartfelt shower, are you saved from your filth right now? Are you saved forever, from all past, present AND FUTURE filth? Or if you get dirty again will you need to confess your need for a shower and get washed again? How much water will it take to keep you clean? How often will you need to shower? Give me magic numbers and make it in gallons please.

Heidi,
If I might take it upon myself to answer your rhetorical question...

I would firmly agree with the verse you posted in James 2. If I am caught by the police for speeding, and they write a ticket, I cannot plead that I did all my parallel parking correctly, and did not go down any one way streets the wrong way. I broke the traffic laws and must pay the penalty. As such we are the law breakers in James 2. We broke the law of God, and must pay the penalty of damnation by God. Only he who keeps the law all the time is not a law breaker. The one who offends in any one point of the law, is guilty of breaking all the law. As the scripture says in another place, "be ye holy as I am holy."

The law was the greatest school master ever made. It shows us our need for a savior when we see that we are guilty, condemned, and damned before God.

unred typo said:
Jesus died once for all sin, yes. We don’t confess once for all time though. We need to repent whenever we sin, otherwise, we are sinning willfully, we are not following Christ, and are not covered by his blood. You, dear child, are oblivious to what your salvation is based on. Think of the blood of Christ as the water in your shower. The water is always there, always waiting, always ready to wash away your filth. If you take one heartfelt shower, are you saved from your filth right now? Are you saved forever, from all past, present AND FUTURE filth? Or if you get dirty again will you need to confess your need for a shower and get washed again? How much water will it take to keep you clean? How often will you need to shower? Give me magic numbers and make it in gallons please.
Actually, I think Heidi has a good understanding of the grace of God. It is the grace of God that our salvation is based upon. You dear unred typo based your salvation not upon what God has done, but upon what you yourself have done. That is called a works based salvation. Listen to your own statement.
"We don’t confess once for all time though. We need to repent whenever we sin, otherwise, we are sinning willfully, we are not following Christ, and are not covered by his blood."

Your concept is that there is something we must do to be covered by the blood. It is not something we do, but something we believe. Such a faith is given by God since "no man can come to me" (John 6:44). Justification is alway by faith alone (sola fide), and never of works, lest any man try to boast.

Unred, your righteousness (and mine, and even Heidi's) is nothing, it is filthy rags, it is stench before God. There is noone righteous enough to keep their salvation, no one righteous enough to attain their salvation. All are sinners by nature, and choice. We have nothing to offer God, but must throw ourselves totally upon his mercy and grace.

You boast in your own righteousness? If you have done anything righteous or good, thank God for his grace, you did nothing.

mondar said:
The law was the greatest school master ever made. It shows us our need for a savior when we see that we are guilty, condemned, and damned before God.

Please explain all the just people in the Old Testament if the purpose of the Law was to show man as condemned and damned before God. The Law was given with the understanding that it COULD be obeyed! Not to show how far man is below God. God gave man the Law as a manner of responding to the Covenant that God had initiated. Promises were given to those who obeyed the Law. The Law pointed to the ultimate Word of God, Jesus Christ. This focus on God proving to man that man needs a savior is focusing on the minors.

It ignores that fact that God provided the Law for man to love God and his neighbor. May I suggest you read Psalm 119 and tell me if you think the author thought that the Law was given to show man how dirty and disgusting and a pile of manure that he is?

Regards

Heidi said:
Jesus is our permanent sacrifice once for all as Hebrews 10 tells us.

As usual, you are not considering what the rest of Scriptures say, in this case, in that very chapter you speak of...

For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. Hebrews 10:26-27

In other words, the blood of Christ can be removed from you IF you return to your sinful way of life and do not repent...

Regards

francisdesales said:
mondar said:

Please explain all the just people in the Old Testament if the purpose of the Law was to show man as condemned and damned before God. The Law was given with the understanding that it COULD be obeyed! Not to show how far man is below God. God gave man the Law as a manner of responding to the Covenant that God had initiated. Promises were given to those who obeyed the Law. The Law pointed to the ultimate Word of God, Jesus Christ. This focus on God proving to man that man needs a savior is focusing on the minors.

It ignores that fact that God provided the Law for man to love God and his neighbor. May I suggest you read Psalm 119 and tell me if you think the author thought that the Law was given to show man how dirty and disgusting and a pile of manure that he is?

Regards

Francis - Would you mind showing who in the OT kept "all the Laws"?

unred typo said:
quote by Heidi on Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:20 pm

Are any of us God? Only he knows what the rewards will be, He will judge all mankind by their works. If you can’t accept what he said about it, why would you believe a man? There is no point to telling you that scripture supports a ‘works’ salvation. You won’t believe it, even if you read it yourself. It is by following the words of Christ, doing works of faith, that we are in Christ. If we are not in Christ, and he in us, we abide in death. It’s just that simple. There is no special amount, no magic number, no secret formula.

[quote:81830]quote by Heidi

You’re stumbling at the stumbling stone. No one can enter heaven by works of the law, by simply keeping the law. We must repent of our sins and follow Christ and the blood of Christ will cleanse us from all sin. Therefore, it was not by our perfect works that we are saved, is it? No, we all have sinned. So God in his great mercy and love provided a sacrifice to cover those sins that we repent of. Repent and follow Christ. If you sin, repent again and return to following Christ. The Spirit convicts us of sin. Jesus ever lives to make intercession for us. “Verses please†? Give me a break. You know these things are true. Tell me what I have just said that is not biblically correct.

quote by Heidi God says, not so. Jesus is our permanent sacrifice once for all as Hebrews 10 tells us. So those who haven't yet accepted his suffering, beatings, torture, mocking and death for your sins are up a creek without a paddle because there's no way to heaven without accepting Christ's atonement. You're stuck doing what the Jews still try to do; working your way to heaven which is impossible because "flesh and blood can't enter the kingdom of God." You guys have no clue what Jesus did for you so no wonder you don't have grateful hearts.

Jesus died once for all sin, yes. We don’t confess once for all time though. We need to repent whenever we sin, otherwise, we are sinning willfully, we are not following Christ, and are not covered by his blood. You, dear child, are oblivious to what your salvation is based on. Think of the blood of Christ as the water in your shower. The water is always there, always waiting, always ready to wash away your filth. If you take one heartfelt shower, are you saved from your filth right now? Are you saved forever, from all past, present AND FUTURE filth? Or if you get dirty again will you need to confess your need for a shower and get washed again? How much water will it take to keep you clean? How often will you need to shower? Give me magic numbers and make it in gallons please.[/quote:81830]

That is false. Epesians 2:8-9, "For it is by Grace you have been saved through faith-and this not from yourselves-it is the gift from God not by works so that no one can boast."

So I don't know where you're getting this stuff up but it's not from the bible. So I can see why you had no verses to quote. I'll believe the bible over you any day.

mondar said:
Heidi,
If I might take it upon myself to answer your rhetorical question...

I would firmly agree with the verse you posted in James 2. If I am caught by the police for speeding, and they write a ticket, I cannot plead that I did all my parallel parking correctly, and did not go down any one way streets the wrong way. I broke the traffic laws and must pay the penalty. As such we are the law breakers in James 2. We broke the law of God, and must pay the penalty of damnation by God. Only he who keeps the law all the time is not a law breaker. The one who offends in any one point of the law, is guilty of breaking all the law. As the scripture says in another place, "be ye holy as I am holy."

Of course we have to accept the consequences of sin on earth. But we are justified by Christ's blood in God's eyes. "For there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." When we sin, we confess our sins and God is faithful and just to forgive our sins.

francisdesales said:
Heidi said:
Jesus is our permanent sacrifice once for all as Hebrews 10 tells us.

As usual, you are not considering what the rest of Scriptures say, in this case, in that very chapter you speak of...

For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. Hebrews 10:26-27

In other words, the blood of Christ can be removed from you IF you return to your sinful way of life and do not repent...

Regards

Please read 1 John 9, "No one born of God continues to sin because God's seed remains in min; he cannot go on sinning because he is born of God."

I'l repeat that: "No one born of God contines to sin because God's seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning because he is born of God."

That says nothing about works. It also does not mean that we Christians will never sin. All it means is that when we do sin, the Holy Spirit (God's seed)convicts us of sin so that we cannot continue in that sin. That also means that a person who is born of can can never follow a stranger, turn away from God or be snatched out of Christ's hand because the Holy Spirit inside of him is sttronger than the devil or his human power as 1John 4:4 explains.

So Hebrews 10:26 can't be talking about born again Christians or you're saying that born again Christians do turn away from God and continue to sin and John is a liar in 1 John:9 and Jesus a liar in John 10 which they are not.

So the first rule in understanding the bible that many people here to do not follow is that their interpretation must never contradict any scripture or it's incorrect.

And since you can't provide verses that tell us how many works we lose our salvation, and you also contradict Ephesians 2:8-9 as well as Romans 8:1, then your interpretation is incorrect.

quote by Heidi on Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:59 am

That is false. Epesians 2:8-9, "For it is by Grace you have been saved through faith-and this not from yourselves-it is the gift from God not by works so that no one can boast."

So I don't know where you're getting this stuff up but it's not from the bible. So I can see why you had no verses to quote. I'll believe the bible over you any day.

You know one verse, taken out of context and magnified to be the keystone of your salvation. With this one verse you blast away all the words of your ‘Lord and Master’.
No problem. Here is what I wrote that I thought someone of your extensive biblical knowledge should recognize as scriptural. I said: “It is by following the words of Christ, doing works of faith, that we are in Christ. If we are not in Christ, and he in us, we abide in death. It’s just that simple.†What is false in that?

I‘ll add the scripture that you should have been able to add mentally:

( 1 John 1:6-7 )
If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanses us from all sin.

What does it mean to walk in darkness? To live in sin.

What does it mean to walk in light? To follow the commands of Christ ( which are to confess and repent of our sin, to love one another and do good works, etc. )

What does it mean to have fellowship with God? He abides in us and we abide in him.

When does the blood cleanse us from all sin? When we are walking in the light.

Do we agree so far? Let’s go on:

8If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Do we still have sin when we have become ‘Christians’? Yes, we still sin, don’t we?

Do we still have to confess our sin? Yes, and if we do, the blood cleanses us, doesn‘t it?

There are more in 1 John than I can quote here. Here’s one you can probably sing:

7Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
8He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

That one you like to turn backwards and claim it is because you are born of God that you can love but read these:

4:12No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwells in us, and his love is perfected in us.

3:10In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever does not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loves not his brother.
11For this is the message that you heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.
12Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous.

Can anything be plainer than this:
3:14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loves not his brother abides in death.
15Whosoever hates his brother is a murderer: and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.

Is obeying Christ loving your brother? Is loving your brother, work? If it is, then you must work out your own salvation with fear and trembling as Paul wrote:

Philippians 2:12
Wherefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

Your faith without works cannot save you as it says in James 2:

14What does it profit, my brethren, though a man say he has faith, and has not works? can faith save him?

17Even so faith, if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

20But will you know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
21Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22See you how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

24Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

26For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

You may want to slip by and say that loving your brother should not be work. If it is not work to love your brother, fine. You must love your brother to be saved even if it is no trouble at all.

So take your “not of works†verse and say, Even though I love my brother as Jesus commanded, it is still by Grace I have been saved through works of faith -and this salvation is not from myself-it is the gift from God not by works so that no one can boast."
You see, this verse means that God was not required to make a way of salvation for us and he didn’t do it because we were perfect in our works. He did it out of grace and love for us.

As I said before, there is no point to telling you that scripture supports a ‘works’ salvation. You won’t believe it, even if you read it yourself. You’re stuck on one or two verses that you have misunderstood, that make all of Jesus teaching to be nothing but empty rhetoric. It’s very sad and I feel sorry for you but you are set in your own error you refuse to open your eyes and see. You may still inherit eternal life, based on your works of love and faith, but what of those who read what you write and go away into a life of sin because they believe it won’t matter to their eternal destiny?
:o

Wow - is all the condescending really necessary and edifing to our Lord and Jesus Christ?

quote by mondar on Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:45 am

Actually, I think Heidi has a good understanding of the grace of God. It is the grace of God that our salvation is based upon. You dear unred typo based your salvation not upon what God has done, but upon what you yourself have done. That is called a works based salvation. Listen to your own statement.
"We don’t confess once for all time though. We need to repent whenever we sin, otherwise, we are sinning willfully, we are not following Christ, and are not covered by his blood."

Actually, I think you will find Heidi has a few concepts hammered into her head that she will pull out as needed to cover the opposing verses and ignore the fact that they contradict one another when used in her contexts. Here is Heidi on confession a few posts later:
quote by Heidi:
Of course we have to accept the consequences of sin on earth. But we are justified by Christ's blood in God's eyes. "For there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." When we sin, we confess our sins and God is faithful and just to forgive our sins.
Yours in Christ,
Heidi

You see here she is saying that we must confess our sins when we sin for God to forgive us. The post you read was blasting me out for suggesting the same exact thing.

As for me, I do not fear salvation being called “works based†because that is what the Bible teaches. Faith without works is dead and cannot save. This does not conflict with the idea that our salvation is by the grace of God if you understand that it is by the grace of God we are allowed the option of following Christ and inheriting eternal life or following sin and remaining in death.

What is not ‘of works’ is God’s choice to make a way of salvation for us through faith in what Jesus taught. He made it possible to follow Christ imperfectly and still be sinless by the blood of his Son through confession and repentance. BUT we still must confess and repent. Repentance must be genuine and followed by a life that reflects this repentance. IOW, we can’t fake it and go on living in sin.

quote by mondar Your concept is that there is something we must do to be covered by the blood. It is not something we do, but something we believe. Such a faith is given by God since "no man can come to me" (John 6:44). Justification is alway by faith alone (sola fide), and never of works, lest any man try to boast.

Justification is by faith in the blood of Christ. Those are not just words. Faith is not just saying you believe something, it is believing enough that you are living by it. If you believe that the blood will cleanse you when you repent, and you believe that you will inherit eternal life by following Christ perfectly, you will keep your walk perfect in Christ by confession and repentance. That is what trusting in the blood of Christ is. It is not believing that the blood will cover all your future sin whether you repent of it or not.

Your John 6:44 verse is out of context, BTW. Jesus is not talking about every person living has to be drawn and some are not, but it means that he chose disciples and even Judas, who would betray him. I won’t go into this here since it is off topic and there are threads on it already:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=28789&start=585&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=29448

quote by mondar
Unred, your righteousness (and mine, and even Heidi's) is nothing, it is filthy rags, it is stench before God. There is noone righteous enough to keep their salvation, no one righteous enough to attain their salvation. All are sinners by nature, and choice. We have nothing to offer God, but must throw ourselves totally upon his mercy and grace.

You boast in your own righteousness? If you have done anything righteous or good, thank God for his grace, you did nothing.
mondar

That passage about filthy rags is yet another verse being used out of context. God does not hate our righteous deeds. He loves them, even if they are not done to perfection. What he hates is when you pretend to be righteous, stick your nose in the air and worship him in the morning and then go sacrifice your children on an altar to some idol in the groves at night or as Isaiah 3:15 says, beat my people to pieces, and grind the faces of the poor. That makes him furious. I don’t think you or I or anyone here has done that. He hates that kind of phony righteousness but he rewards those who honestly do good. Read what God told Isaiah to say to them: “3:10 Say you to the righteous, that it shall be well with himâ€Â.

As for grace, yes, thank God for his grace! He could have wiped out the world when Adam sinned and that would have been the end of his problem with man. I can’t boast of my righteousness attaining salvation because if I do everything in my power every minute of my life to pay him back for his mercy, it would not suffice to pay for one of my sins, let alone all those I have committed that I didn‘t even notice. Of course we have nothing to offer God that he can’t live without! We can live without our children too. But because we love them, we accept their love and gifts and obedience even though those things may not be needed by us.

aLoneVoice said:

No one. Did I say anyone did?

One doesn't have to obey every single Law throughout their entire life to be considered "just" in God's eyes. Those who have faith, as Hebrews tell us, please God. Hebrews goes through a long line of people who were righteous in God's eyes because of faith. Those with faith in God are viewed differently by God. God's children are given grace and mercy. He withholds His divine wrath, just as parents don't shoot their kids for making a mistake. However, with those who try to earn salvation, they would have to keep "all the law", as James notes.

The difference is between loving God and trying to get God to pay a man salvation.

The law of grace was available even to the OT, as Hebrews notes, and in MANY places in the OT. This idea of perfect obedience is not found in the OT. Not the Patriarchs, not Moses, not the prophets. Yet, Scriptures considered them as righteous and just. God, like any good father, mercifully overlooks His child's error when they repent.

Regards

quote by aLoneVoice on Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:00 pm
Wow - is all the condescending really necessary and edifing to our Lord and Jesus Christ?

I don’t know about the spirit that others are writing in, but I’m just trying to point out the unmistakable truth written in plain language. If my posts sound condescending, I apologize but I don’t know any other way to state the obvious than to state it. Jesus said, “Why do you call me Lord and not do the things that I say?†Can’t say it any better than that. But Heidi wants to then ask him, “How many of those things that you say to do, do we have to d? Give me a number.â€Â

francisdesales said:
aLoneVoice said:

No one. Did I say anyone did?

One doesn't have to obey every single Law throughout their entire life to be considered "just" in God's eyes. Those who have faith, as Hebrews tell us, please God. Hebrews goes through a long line of people who were righteous in God's eyes because of faith. Those with faith in God are viewed differently by God. God's children are given grace and mercy. He withholds His divine wrath, just as parents don't shoot their kids for making a mistake. However, with those who try to earn salvation, they would have to keep "all the law", as James notes.

The difference is between loving God and trying to get God to pay a man salvation.

The law of grace was available even to the OT, as Hebrews notes, and in MANY places in the OT. This idea of perfect obedience is not found in the OT. Not the Patriarchs, not Moses, not the prophets. Yet, Scriptures considered them as righteous and just. God, like any good father, mercifully overlooks His child's error when they repent.

Regards

The Law was the basis to show what righteousness is - to keep the Law perfectly is to be completely righteous. No one - apart from Christ - is able or was able to keep the Law perfectly.

Righteousness is afforded to us who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, not because of our works, but because of the work of Christ. We sinners are hidden behind the shadow of the Cross - Christ's redemptive work on the Cross is imputed unto us. This is positional. When we are adopted as heirs into Christ when we believe (faith).

The practical is our display of the work Christ has done within us and for us.

Positional and Practical must go hand in hand.

aLoneVoice said:
The Law was the basis to show what righteousness is - to keep the Law perfectly is to be completely righteous. No one - apart from Christ - is able or was able to keep the Law perfectly.

Where does the Bilble tell us that one must "perfectly" follow the Law to be considered righteous? James comment is directed at those who thought God owed them something because of their obedience to the letter of the Law. To receive payment, one must NEVER disobey God.... That is not the case applied to those who are children of God who put their faith into action.

As an aside, I am currently reading a book on James and the "Spirituality of Perfection". Apparently, I have learned today, the word "perfect" didn't mean the same thing to Jews and Christians of the first century as it does today. I believe it is advantageous to conduct exegesis based on what the AUTHOR intended by the use of a word. Thus, Jesus and James useage of the word "perfect" takes on new meaning for me. Rather than "never err", it means maintaining a relationship with God. Since we are children, we do NOT have to be "without error".

The problem with translations!

aLoneVoice said:
Righteousness is afforded to us who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, not because of our works, but because of the work of Christ.

I respectfully disagree. Christ never makes such an insinuation, but calls on men to be just and to be righteous in God's eyes. Consider reading the Sermon on the Mount and what follows. He tells us HOW we can be righteous because of God's graces. We cannot be just or righteous without God's grace, so we cannot boast as if it is from ourselves ALONE. However, MAN is MADE righteous by God, not merely covered over as if God is pretending we are.

aLoneVoice said:
Positional and Practical must go hand in hand.

There is no difference. God doesn't make up two classes of righteousness. If He sees us as just, we are so because HE MADE us so! There is no "pretend" righteousness and "real" righteousness. God places His wrath aside that our sins deserve because of Christ's work from the Incarnation to Calvary. Thus, we are given mercy and are considered righteous when we make the effort (with God's grace) to obey God's commands.

I ask you to glance at Psalm 119 when you get a chance. Do you think that the writer thought HE wasn't following God's Law or that he COULDN'T? What do you perceive his attitude was regarding whether he was just in God's eyes? Let me know what you think.

Regards

unred typo said:
“Why do you call me Lord and not do the things that I say?†Can’t say it any better than that. But Heidi wants to then ask him, “How many of those things that you say to do, do we have to do? Give me a number.â€Â

True. Anyone who even has to ask the question "how many good deeds is enough" doesn't understand the entire concept of faith working through love. It is a reversion to doing "just enough" to get into heaven. That is not the relationship God wants from us, a legal relationship.

Regards

francis you write:

There is no difference. God doesn't make up two classes of righteousness. If He sees us as just, we are so because HE MADE us so!

Yes! Maybe you are starting to see it. God MAKES us righteous (positional) when we BELIEVE in Jesus Christ.

aLoneVoice said:
Yes! Maybe you are starting to see it. God MAKES us righteous (positional) when we BELIEVE in Jesus Christ.

I have always been taught that we are made righteous, not just merely imputed righteousness, OR that Christ's righteousness covered me in such a way that I had no righteousness at all, even in Christ. The idea of "positional" righteousness I am not familiar with because we are either righteous or not. There is not two separate distinctions of righteousness. "Positional" seems to be an unnecessary adjective.

Regards

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back