Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How Many People Still Use Landlines?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

HeIsRisen2018

Dramione love 3333
I figured that phones these days are pretty much considered technology so I was just really curious since this question came up in my Zumba class the other night. We were talking about how nobody really visits each other anymore and everybody is on their cellphones 24 hour 7 even when they are in the same room with that same person that you are talking to. Now we absolutely refuse to cancel our land line because we find them a lot more reliable than cellphones so I was just curious who else feels the same way.

If it wasn't for having dial-up I would have gotten rid of the landline when we got cell phones. I don't even have long distance, just the basics. Being that we live in a rural area we do lose cell service at times, but have pretty good service at the house. The last cell phone I had I had to literally go outside to get a signal, but this newer one works very well. I don'y use the internet on it so I just have a simple plan that cost 32.00 a month for 1500 min and 1500 texts. I'm not much of a phone person, but hubby is. We still go visit friends and family so that hasn't changed for us.

If it wasn't for having dial-up I would have gotten rid of the landline when we got cell phones.
Ok, but let me just point this out, cellphones need charging and they die. For the most part landline phones don't. Mind you we have a cordless phone and we have to go through that sometimes but still.

If I could drop the landline that would save me 33.00 a month as I never use it other than for the dial-up. It just sits there and collects dust.

If I could drop the landline that would save me 33.00 a month as I never use it other than for the dial-up. It just sits there and collects dust.

I guess you have a point if you say it like that. But just out of curiosity how much does your cellphone bill cost? Sorry if I'm being a nosy rose you really don't have to tell me if you don't want to.

I could almost live without a phone as I don't use them much.

Me neither but it's nice to have any kind of phone for an emergency if you're out somewhere and you need to get ahold of somebody or the other person needs to get ahold of you. And plus sometimes I just like socializing. :)

I figured that phones these days are pretty much considered technology so I was just really curious since this question came up in my Zumba class the other night. We were talking about how nobody really visits each other anymore and everybody is on their cellphones 24 hour 7 even when they are in the same room with that same person that you are talking to. Now we absolutely refuse to cancel our land line because we find them a lot more reliable than cellphones so I was just curious who else feels the same way.

I must confess, I still pay for a landline that I unplugged four months ago. I got sick of all the daily phone solicitors. The silence has been golden indeed. Now I need to go and cancel that line, thanks for the reminder! :yes

I must confess, I still pay for a landline that I unplugged four months ago. I got sick of all the daily phone solicitors. The silence has been golden indeed. Now I need to go and cancel that line, thanks for the reminder! :yes

I hate to break it to you but just because you use a cellphone, doesn't mean that it's going to keep the solicitors quiet. They still find ways to irritate you unfortunately. :rolleyes

I hate to break it to you but just because you use a cellphone, doesn't mean that it's going to keep the solicitors quiet. They still find ways to irritate you unfortunately. :rolleyes

Yeah, I know. They now even mask the phone ID's with a similar local number so it looks like it's a call from a friend or coworker, but they are fewer. But for some reason the cell phone seems less intrusive. I don't have to stop and go pick it up, it's already with me. But I can look at it this way, I reduced the irritation by more than half.

Yeah, I know. They now even mask the phone ID's with a similar local number so it looks like it's a call from a friend or coworker, but they are fewer. But for some reason the cell phone seems less intrusive. I don't have to stop and go pick it up, it's already with me. But I can look at it this way, I reduced the irritation by more than half.

That's a good point. They do seem to bother you less but my mom used to have some stupid solicitor contact her all the time every day. The way I see it as if somebody does call you repeatedly over and over again best to just answer it and shut them up.

I have Verizon, and it can be hit or miss in my own house. I had to enable wifi calling just to receive clear phone calls when I work out of my home office.

I can't even get WiFi where I live. Hopefully since President Trump signed that bill for rural areas to get new phone lines for internet we can get rid of these old copper ones.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back