Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How often do you say "I love you"?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Nikki

How often do you tell your spouse "I love you"? Do you say it each time they leave to go somewhere? Do you say it when they leave for work? Do you say it before going to sleep at night?

We tell each other when we leave for work and at night and various times throughout the day. We don't tell each other though each time we go somewhere. If I'm running to the grocery store or he's running to get gas, we don't say it.

Most people don't realize that their spouse may be telling them that they love them a whole lot more often than they realize. If you've ever read Gary Chapman's www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1881273156]The Five Languages of Love[/url] (here's a good article on it) you'll see how they may be saying it, but we just don't hear it. Also that while we may be saying it, our spouse may not be hearing it.

The main idea is to learn to speak your spouse's love language, but also to learn to understand it. I also see the mistake many women make even after reading the book or hearing what it's about, still demanding that their husband should accept the wife's message to him in her love langauge without her ever bothering to say it in his. Husbands do it too, but not as often. That's a pretty selfish "I love you" which in essence makes it meaningless.

I know my husband loves me and he knows that I love him. I just know some people think we're terrible for not saying it each time one gets in the car to go somewhere. Maybe I take it for granted? But I feel like I said before...I love him and he knows that and I also know that he loves me. He tells me more than I tell him...or should I say that he says it first more than I do.

Whew! That confused me! :lol:

sillynikki said:
I know my husband loves me and he knows that I love him. I just know some people think we're terrible for not saying it each time one gets in the car to go somewhere. Maybe I take it for granted? But I feel like I said before...I love him and he knows that and I also know that he loves me. He tells me more than I tell him...or should I say that he says it first more than I do.

Whew! That confused me! :lol:
Have you read or heard about Gary Chapman's book? My wife and I went over the different langauges and were surprised to discover that we'd been doing thing in a language the other didn't understand. My wife is big on gifts, I'm big of quality time. She'd make homemade cards for me, and I'd try to spend time with her. Cards have never really interested me, and my wife sees me setting asdie time for her as time she could be doing something else. We are trying to learn to peak the other's langauge. I'll focus more on gifts and she'll focus more of quality time. It's really interesting how well it works.

I wonder if I could get the book at the library?

BTW....off topic, you know I was all worried about whether or not Kailey was advancing at the rate she should be? Well, I had her assessed by the public school (they do it free) and she's well into the first grade level work. They said she's doing wonderful! The kindergartners are just learning to read level 1-2 books. Kailey read a level 1-2 book to the teacher assessing her and then she read a couple level 3-4 books with no problem! I was so relieved. Next time I'll listen to you all when you tell me that she's doing fine.

I just wanted to say "thanks". I still plan on putting them in public school this coming year, but the idea of continuing homeschooling is still itching at me. Not sure yet what I'll do....

Jack Lewis said:
Have you read or heard about Gary Chapman's book?

Fantastic read. I read it after my marriage had broken up and learned a great deal from it that I applied to other relationships. Highly recommend it to a lot of people.

I agree. The Five Love Languages is a must read for anyone in a relationship. My wife is a quality time and I'm a physical touch. So I want to touch her to show her that I love her, but it doesn't do to her what it does to me. :) Meanwhile, she tries to spend quality time with me and the whole time I want to snuggle. After we read this book, our eyes were opened to eachother's view of love and BANG - I try to spend more quality time with her and she tries to be more physical with me. And we both love eachother more for it. It's a great tool for loving your kids in their love language, too. ( I don't know what my 3 month old's LL is yet. :wink: )

My wife and I say I love you all the time. Every time we talk on the phone, before we hang up and before we go to sleep - that's pretty much a given, and, honestly, almost habitual, especially on the phone. I think it's important to say the words, "I love you" often.

Love language

:biggrin We say we love each other all the time.
We are in the habit of it,and hugs too.

Now that I have a spouse, I guess I can post on these boards. We celebrate our 2 month anniversary on Thursday.

Anyways, we say I love you all the time and show it with each of our love languages.

drumminlogan said:
Now that I have a spouse, I guess I can post on these boards. We celebrate our 2 month anniversary on Thursday.

Anyways, we say I love you all the time and show it with each of our love languages.

:smt038 Let me say, " CONGRATULATIONS" to you both,in The Love
of Christ Jesus,amen.
May he bring you many excellent and loving years to you!

Back