Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Hypocrite

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
The word "Hypocrite" use in Scripture has a broader meaning than someone saying one thing and doing something else. hypocrite is actually a Roman Theatrical term. When the stage was set for a performance of a play, a man would hide behind a mask going back and forth across the stage in some plays making noises to get peoples attention or give them the impression, as much as he could, to be realistic and convincing as he could, playing that part. As Christ applies it in Scripture, the religious leaders of Israel would go out of their way to pray out in public to be noticed as saintly. they would tithe spices under the law but neglected the weightier things like justice and grace. They would criticize and argue about minor things, but could not comprehend or understand Spiritual matters. They were in their own mind religious and perfect. But they had the spirit of PRIDE which to them, they took as being Holy and perfect. They could see the errors of others but justified the same to them selves. (Matt. 23:23-24) (Luke 18:11) (Matt. 23:5) (Luke 13:14-15) (2 Tim. 3:5).

They live their LIFE behind the mask as they see fit. But parade to the people a convincing wardrobe of a different character, always ready to condemn with out them looking into a mirror, even fooling them selves as acting out a part in a play....a Hypocrite.

Not a bad post Douglas.

In order to not be a hypocrite, which no believer should want to be, we might take a look at the scriptures that Jesus said these hypocrites REFUSED to hear, and then HEAR them as truthful, for ourselves. Otherwise we get the same brand as the hypocrite.

So, what did the hypocrites refuse to hear, that made them so? Listen:

Matthew 22:18
But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, Why tempt ye me, ye hypocrites?

Do we perceive our own wickedness? Romans 7:21, Paul exposes evil present with him. Hypocrisy FREE in that sight.

Matthew 23:13
But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

How many believers everywhere, including here, spend their days trying to keep EVEN BELIEVERS from eternal salvation? Yep! Hypocrisy in action there, big time.

And what do these hypocrites then do? They make other hypocrites, just like themselves:

Matthew 23:15
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.

Yep, a hypocrite is what? Is WHAT? A child of HELL.

No hypocrite can hear this fact below for themselves. Refusing to "hear" this makes them hypocrites:

Matthew 23:25
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.

In order to not 'be one' we must then HEAR the above as a fact. Is it hard to hear? No, not when we are honest. Here, we are advised what is "within":

Romans 7:7-13, Romans 7:17-21, Romans 7:23, Romans 7:25, Romans 8:3, 2 Cor. 12:7, Gal. 3:22, Gal. 5:17, 1 John 3:8, Matt. 15:19-20, Mark 7:21-23, Matt. 5:28, Romans 7:21, Heb. 5:14, Heb. 10:22

Does the hypocrite hear of these things? Nope. They can't. Who? Me? Evil present with me? Sin dwelling in MY flesh? MY flesh contrary to and against the Spirit? No, certainly not ME. That is what the hypocrite does, to PROVE themselves as such.

Matthew 23:27
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.

Who? ME!? May it never be so saith the hypocrite!

I could go on, but this is close enough to get the picture. Hypocrisy is a very easy state to fall into. It takes a serious exercise of "self" abasement to GET OUT OF IT. And the flesh is not going to be the ally of that effort. It will go kicking and screaming all the way when believers try to remove their deposits from the bank of HYPOCRISY.

Non-religious people don't have problems with religious hypocrisy. They are simply blind. So these scriptures DO apply to the "religiously minded" folk, like you and me.

I had a very hard time "hearing" what Jesus said to hypocrites, that they REFUSED to hear. It took a long time to "come out." Because it hurt my "pride." I'd like to say I got rid of it all, but then that would make ME a hypocrite.

Matthew 22:18
But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, Why tempt ye me, ye hypocrites?

Do we perceive our own wickedness? Romans 7:21, Paul exposes evil present with him. Hypocrisy FREE in that sight.

Matthew 23:13
But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

How many believers everywhere, including here, spend their days trying to keep EVEN BELIEVERS from eternal salvation? Yep! Hypocrisy in action there, big time.

And what do these hypocrites then do? They make other hypocrites, just like themselves:

Matthew 23:15
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.
Hi smaller, That fits right in and expands upon my post also. The sad part is they think (in their own mind) they are the only one that has the authority to take the place and the authority of Christ on the earth. They think that Christ should honor them instead of them honoring Christ.

Hi smaller, That fits right in and expands upon my post also. The sad part is they think (in their own mind) they are the only one that has the authority to take the place and the authority of Christ on the earth. They think that Christ should honor them instead of them honoring Christ.

It is hard for us, in the pride of our own flesh, to understand that true and truthfully Christianity is a practice of self abasement, rigorously applied, as Paul lays upon his own self and as did the other Apostles. And yes, it is a pitiful path to follow Paul. One that most purposefully ignore. How many "preachers" show Paul having lustful thoughts? Romans 7:7-13. How many "preachers" show Paul doing things he hated? Romans 7:15. How many "preachers" show Paul doing evil? Romans 7:19? How many "preachers" show Paul, with "evil present" in him? Romans 7:21. How many "preachers" preach as Paul did, that we are NO BETTER than any other sinner? Romans 3:9. How many "preachers" conclude "all" including ourselves, under sin? Romans 7:14, Gal. 3:22. How many "preachers" show their own sorry hides are contrary to and against the Spirit, and vice versa? Gal. 5:17. How may "preachers" teach Paul as the chief of sinners, AFTER salvation, and know how he made that determination? 1 Tim. 1:15. And God forbid who of them in all of the above, would EVER expose the fact that Paul had a "messenger of SATAN" in his own flesh. 2 Cor. 12:7, Gal. 3:13-14. How many "preachers" proclaim their sin is of the DEVIL? 1 John 3:8. How many "preachers" teach Jesus' Truth, that where the Word is sown, the DEVIL himself enters our own hearts? Mark 4:15.

No, you won't hear much if anything of the above, because the reality is that 'believers' in the flesh are not interested whatsoever in hearing these facts of scripture. But those are the gauntlets of scriptural fact that we are inevitably led to walk, regardless. Believers in Truth will be taken to those self abasement scriptures in REAL LIFE, and will be so by God Himself, working in them.

It is not our life that is upheld, but His. It is on the above ground that we find completely unmerited on our part, Grace in Christ and hence our sorely needed Divine Mercy. The "reasons" we need these however are NOT removed after salvation. There is no cure, as the lies that present such, other than being ourselves, reduced to NOTHING.

Galatians 6:3
For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself.

From that pile of ashes and dust NOTHING, ARISES GOD's TRUTH. We will LIVE by Every Word of God, Matt. 4:4, Luke 4:4, even if that Word kills us.

From that pile of ashes and dust NOTHING, ARISES GOD's TRUTH. We will LIVE by Every Word of God, Matt. 4:4, Luke 4:4, even if that Word kills us.
It is that very stark truth that cuts through the pride of self that the father draws us to Christ (for those who have ears and eyes to hear and see). For Paul thought he was perfect under the (believing what you want to believe) self willed and carnal evaluation of one's self using a Spiritual law (under carnal reasoning) to justify the flesh of a law that was to condemn sin and draw one to God for mercy and grace. But men used it instead to justify them selves. As I think about it, it is like they were saying they were right up there with God on righteousness. Paul gives that assessment in (Col. 3:1-6) He was perfect under His assessment of himself under the law. But something changed (Rom. 7:9-11) What was it?

It is that very stark truth that cuts through the pride of self that the father draws us to Christ (for those who have ears and eyes to hear and see). For Paul thought he was perfect under the (believing what you want to believe) self willed and carnal evaluation of one's self using a Spiritual law (under carnal reasoning) to justify the flesh of a law that was to condemn sin and draw one to God for mercy and grace. But men used it instead to justify them selves. As I think about it, it is like they were saying they were right up there with God on righteousness. Paul gives that assessment in (Col. 3:1-6) He was perfect under His assessment of himself under the law. But something changed (Rom. 7:9-11) What was it?
Well my friend, the answer should be quite obvious. The Spirit of LIFE in the LAW was "in Paul." Resulting in his sights of Romans 13:8-10. Every 'jot and tittle' of legal requirements are met in that extension, by His Spirit, shown in those who bear that Fruit of Him.

There are TWO EDGES to that Sword. One of them is and will remain against the flesh, and what is therein. There, it gets tough for Sword Swallowing.

Well my friend, the answer should be quite obvious. The Spirit of LIFE in the LAW was "in Paul." Resulting in his sights of Romans 13:8-10. Every 'jot and tittle' of legal requirements are met in that extension, by His Spirit, shown in those who bear that Fruit of Him.

There are TWO EDGES to that Sword. One of them is and will remain against the flesh, and what is therein. There, it gets tough for Sword Swallowing.
I know the answer, and so do you, I was giving you opportunity to explain it with Scripture so others might (with poor eye sight) be able to see again. But no amount of Spirit led teaching can give to those who don't want to be bothered with details, they always look at things with MATERIAL gain in mind (how do I get to the head of the line!). Did that make any sense? (Matt. 20:16)

In Christ
Douglas Summers

Isaiah 58
1 Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and shew my people their transgression, and the house of Jacob their sins.
2 Yet they seek me daily, and delight to know my ways, as a nation that did righteousness, and forsook not the ordinance of their God: they ask of me the ordinances of justice; they take delight in approaching to God.

4 Behold, ye fast for strife and debate, and to smite with the fist of wickedness: ye shall not fast as ye do this day, to make your voice to be heard on high.
5 Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the Lord?

6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
7 Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

8 Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy reward.

9 Then shalt thou call, and the Lord shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity;

Isaiah 58
1 Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and shew my people their transgression, and the house of Jacob their sins.
2 Yet they seek me daily, and delight to know my ways, as a nation that did righteousness, and forsook not the ordinance of their God: they ask of me the ordinances of justice; they take delight in approaching to God.

4 Behold, ye fast for strife and debate, and to smite with the fist of wickedness: ye shall not fast as ye do this day, to make your voice to be heard on high.
5 Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the Lord?

6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
7 Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

8 Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy reward.

9 Then shalt thou call, and the Lord shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity;
Some things never change smaller. If people would listen, He is still saying the same thing today. TO PEOPLE THAT CLAIM TO BE HIS! The Lord is speaking to the leaders here that He has given the responsibility to lead and care for Israel, but instead they took liberty to be worshiped like God and to judge only with predigest, the very opposite of why the Lord had come (John 12:46-48) Hide not thyself from thine own flesh or (LOOK IN THE MIRROR)

The word "Hypocrite" use in Scripture has a broader meaning than someone saying one thing and doing something else. hypocrite is actually a Roman Theatrical term. When the stage was set for a performance of a play, a man would hide behind a mask going back and forth across the stage in some plays making noises to get peoples attention or give them the impression, as much as he could, to be realistic and convincing as he could, playing that part. As Christ applies it in Scripture, the religious leaders of Israel would go out of their way to pray out in public to be noticed as saintly. they would tithe spices under the law but neglected the weightier things like justice and grace. They would criticize and argue about minor things, but could not comprehend or understand Spiritual matters. They were in their own mind religious and perfect. But they had the spirit of PRIDE which to them, they took as being Holy and perfect. They could see the errors of others but justified the same to them selves. (Matt. 23:23-24) (Luke 18:11) (Matt. 23:5) (Luke 13:14-15) (2 Tim. 3:5).

They live their LIFE behind the mask as they see fit. But parade to the people a convincing wardrobe of a different character, always ready to condemn with out them looking into a mirror, even fooling them selves as acting out a part in a play....a Hypocrite.

One who wears a mask..:thumbsup Pretending to be something you are not.

Some things never change smaller. If people would listen, He is still saying the same thing today. TO PEOPLE THAT CLAIM TO BE HIS! The Lord is speaking to the leaders here that He has given the responsibility to lead and care for Israel, but instead they took liberty to be worshiped like God and to judge only with predigest, the very opposite of why the Lord had come (John 12:46-48) Hide not thyself from thine own flesh or (LOOK IN THE MIRROR)

When some are led to actually LOOK at the scriptural issue of mankind personally, which is quite obviously sin/disobedience in the flesh, an "in the midst" reality, assuredly demonic, God will show them HOW He deals with them. God is quite entirely predictable in this direction and has been from the beginning.

When we see this do we perceive that God is not just our friend, but their enemy? And even though that is for our best ultimate intents it is not easy to understand. It is for the reason of the enemy that "we" get tribulations and chastisements, FROM GOD. He is quite entirely merciless in that direction. Rightfully so.

I watched a news clip about scripture screaming "child preachers" in some southern state who's father is an extremist preacher along the Westboro school of thought, and I pitied them for their open manipulation BY GOD, making them hypocrites. Literally children of hell to everyone else, but of course completely insulated themselves in typical pharisee fashions, on steroids.

Sickening.

I was blessed to "question" my faith, with truth. But if we are not truthful with ourselves, what good is any such truth, but a deception?

The bitter reality of faith is actually believing what God says. When we pick up a scripture, such as Mark 4:15, do we actually believe that happens? Do we believe that happens to US? With the majority of believers their minds will be flooded with rejections, which proves the reality of that transpiring. They just don't get it. And actually God doesn't mean them to get it or allow them to get it, because God is also dealing adversely with the other party that is not them.

The entire basis of Paul's N.T. Gospel is hinged on Mark 4:15. Paul demonstrates this 'internal' reality in Romans 7:7-13, showing and proving that where the LAW is sown, sin (which is of the devil, 1 John 3:8) immediately flooded his own mind with concupiscence/lusts. This is a test that anyone can run upon their own "wetware." And they'll find it to be quite real. We have very good reasons not to "trust" ourselves. We have every reason to come to know Gods Mercy is always needed, because of the reality of the situation that HE HIMSELF has put us in.

Romans 11:
32 For God has bound everyone over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.

This doesn't "go away" after salvation. It more often gets worse. And the final stage of that is religious hypocrisy. The very thing Jesus hated the most. I believe such believers will be saved anyway, but that does not account for the 'whole scriptual story.'

1 John 3:10
This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister.

Now, ask how many of these children of the devil there are, who seek to potentially burn each others alive forever? Believer to believer no less. It really is a shame to see so many of these fill the pews. I'm not saying there isn't a child of God, also there, held captive. But...that's not all that's going on.

Proverbs 5:14
I was almost in all evil in the midst of the congregation and assembly.

When I saw that I, myself, was being manipulated by those bad actors, some decades back, I dropped their hot potato to other believers from my lap, and turned those adverse scriptures against regarding hell unto THEM in my own flesh.

And I believe Paul practiced this, likewise:

2 Corinthians 12:7
And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

It is one thing to confess the truth, that evil is present with us. Romans 7:21. It is one thing to know that the sin that dwells in our own flesh is not us. Romans 7:17 & 20. It is quite another to realize these workings are of the devil.

But HIS TRUTH is the cure for hypocrisy.

Matthew 23:28
Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.

If we can't hear the above, personally, we are official hypocrites. They couldn't hear it either. They wanted instead, to pretend. But who was they, really? There was and still is a captor/captive relationship. We know one from the other by WHO speaks 'truthfully' about the other parties in their own flesh. No liar can take these facts of scripture into their own mouth and apply to themselves, if they are controlled by same.

It's quite fascinating. And, to further enlighten the subject, the MORE it is pointed out, the ANGRIER the opposition party(s) get. They HARDEN in their resistance, and in that, THEY are openly exposed.

Last edited:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back