Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Insight on what it means to "pray without ceasing"

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

cyberjosh

I was listening to an international speaker & preacher John Bevere, who is my favorite pastor of all time, and he said the Lord taught him something one day when he was on his way to work (noting that God asks you to do things for him sometimes at the most inconvenient times) and God told him to pull the car over (though he would be late if he did), but in obedience he pulled over and God said to him "Did I not say in my word to pray without ceasing?" And he answered "Yes Lord". God said, "Is prayer a monologue or a dialogue?". John said "It's a dialogue." Then God hit him with this revelatory answer, "Then do you not see that I am willing to speak to you without ceasing?". John said he was in wonderment and awe saying "Oh, my my my..." when it hit him.

He used another story to illustrate his point of how he would wake up in the morning at 5 A.M. every morning and walk around his neighborhood praying every day until 7 A.M, and he would pray non-stop for 2 hours. Yet one day after he had been doing this for about a year God said to him after he had finished his prayer, "I would like the other 22 hours." :)

Then John used an analogy of if his wife told him, "John your time with me each day is from 2-4P.M. each day. That's your time with me." And one day John needed to talk to her (using a analogy/made up scenario) and at 10 A.M. called her and said, "Oh baby I really got to talk with you about something!" and she said "Now John, you know our time isn't until 2P.M. We'll talk about it then." "But..." "Later John". He sighs. Ok I'll go home for lunch, he says. 12:00 he calls her again, "Baby, I really have to speak with you...". "Now John our time isn't for another two hours, be patient, I'm doing something right now." Finally 2:00 rolls around and she starts talking non-stop for 2 hours. :biggrin I think you get the picture. John (in his analogy) didn't get a word in "edge-wise" (as he calls it) the whole time and never got to tell her the important thing he needed to tell her.

John said that is what he felt God was telling him: That every morning he talked non-stop for 2 hours to God and never stopped to listen and then went about the rest of the day not communing with God.

Praying without ceasing doesn't mean we have to be flipping-our-lips 24 hours of the day! It means to listen to God as well as to speak to him. That's how we can pray without ceasing! Praise God that he speaks with us and that prayer isn't just a monologue!

Re: Insight on what it means to "pray without ceasing&q

cybershark5886 said:
Praying without ceasing doesn't mean we have to be flipping-our-lips 24 hours of the day! It means to listen to God as well as to speak to him. That's how we can pray without ceasing! Praise God that he speaks with us and that prayer isn't just a monologue!

"Prayer without ceasing" is not holding active conversation with God - that's impossible. Rather it means "everything you say and do, do it in the name of Christ". Offer everything you do as a spiritual sacrifice to God, even if it means just sweeping the floors, do it in the name of Christ. THAT is praying ceaselessly. Keeping Him a part of our lives - everyday.

Regards

Re: Insight on what it means to "pray without ceasing&a

francisdesales said:
"Prayer without ceasing" is not holding active conversation with God - that's impossible. Rather it means "everything you say and do, do it in the name of Christ". Offer everything you do as a spiritual sacrifice to God, even if it means just sweeping the floors, do it in the name of Christ. THAT is praying ceaselessly. Keeping Him a part of our lives - everyday.

Regards
This is exactly right. You the words right of my key board.

jgredline said:
This is exactly right. You the words right of my key board.

Did he take the word 'took' too?
:wink: :tongue

Prayer without ceasing" is not holding active conversation with God - that's impossible.

Obviously you cannot do so when sleeping, but it is a bit of an insight that prayer can include God speaking to you and not you always doing the talking. I honestly had never thought of that in conjunction with prayer in the sense of God continuing to talk with you after you said "amen".

cybershark5886 said:
Obviously you cannot do so when sleeping,

Actually Josh, it is possible to sleep and pray through the night. I can say this because this is often the case with me...You will find this true of most with the gift of intercessory prayer...

cybershark5886 said:
Obviously you cannot do so when sleeping, but it is a bit of an insight that prayer can include God speaking to you and not you always doing the talking. I honestly had never thought of that in conjunction with prayer in the sense of God continuing to talk with you after you said "amen".

Certainly true. Every book on prayer that I have read, written by a theologian, Protestant pastor (yea, I have been known to read their work before!) or a saint who has passed on to the next life - they all say that listening is even more important than speaking.

God already knows what we need. WE need to hear God's answer!

However, I know that this is easier said than done. It takes discernment and lots of quiet time.

Regards

francisdesales said:

Regards

fran, while I am in agreement with your offering, I would hesitate to take your opening opinion TOO far. EVERYTHING that we do IS to be DONE with 'thanksgiving'. I am of the opinion, (which is backed by writings of the apostles along with reassurance from The Spirit), that there is NOTHING WRONG with SPEAKING TO God EVERY WAKING MOMENT of one's life. For what God WANTS more than ANYTHING is to HAVE a PERSONAL relationship with EACH and EVERY ONE of US. He IS Our Father and being thus, wishes to commune with HIS CHILDREN. He DOES love us folks; EVERY ONE OF US. Even those that have NOT developed a personal relationship with Him. Even those that are LOST. Even those that 'speak out against Him'. He LOVES EVERY ONE OF US. Christ did NOT die for those that LOVE God, but those that DON'T. Christ did NOT come to save those that THOUGHT they were 'already saved', but for those that KNEW they were LOST.

God DOES know what we need BEFORE we can even think or speak it. But like ANY GOOD parent, He longs for our thoughts and love. Look back at David; how is it that he was a 'man after God's own heart'? If one reads about Dave, one QUICKLY sees that David WAS A MAN OF PRAYER. KEEPING God in his thoughts and prayers INCESSANTLY. Even when he SLIPPED, he went RIGHT BACK and acknowledged his shortcomings and asked for forgiveness and offered God the LOVE that He deserves. From the gist of the stories of David, it was when he WASN'T praying that he stumbled so horrendously.

MEC

francisdesales said:
Certainly true. Every book on prayer that I have read, written by a theologian, Protestant pastor (yea, I have been known to read their work before!) or a saint who has passed on to the next life - they all say that listening is even more important than speaking.

God already knows what we need. WE need to hear God's answer!

However, I know that this is easier said than done. It takes discernment and lots of quiet time.

Regards

Do you not believe in the gifts of the spirit?

To pray without ceasing is always being prepared to pray. Over a year ago, I was involved in a head on collusion going about 65MPH and immediatelly started to pray in tongues and the result was not one scratch on my body. Prayer is considered a cornerstone of Christianity.

May God bless, Golfjack

jgredline said:
Actually Josh, it is possible to sleep and pray through the night. I can say this because this is often the case with me...You will find this true of most with the gift of intercessory prayer...

Wow, I definately don't have that gift... My mind usually all over the place when I sleep.

And golfjack, that's a great testimony, thanks for sharing...

And speaking of dreams... I guess there have been times I knew God was with me, leading me.

Back