Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Judgment Seat of Christ

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
G

GMS

The Judgment Seat of Christ
1 Corinthians 3:10-17
According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it. For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work. If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

2 Corinthians 5:10
For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

Romans 14:10&12
.. For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God ... so then each one of us shall give account of himself to God.

John 5:28&29
Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice, and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.

1John 2:28
Now, little children, abide in Him, so that when He appears, we may have confidence and not shrink away from Him in shame at His coming.

Could it be, we have not logically and systematically examined these verses in the light of the finished work of the Cross? Instead we have assume there are literal rewards given to the more obedient believers and that the nomimal believers are just glad they made it to heaven by the "skin of their teeth", so to speak. If this is true, are there degrees of Christianity?
GMS

That is an interesting thought GMS, particularly when that is contrasted with Christ's words that there are degrees of punishment. Another interesting thought is what would degrees of Christianity mean for those entering eternal life? I'm just going to sit back and wait for others to respond.

GMS said:
...are there degrees of Christianity?
GMS

Degrees of rewards. Yes
Degrees of responsibility. Yes
Degrees of production of our service for the Lord. (30 - 60 - 100) Yes
Degrees of salvation? No. In the words of George Clooney, "Either you are in or you are out."

Mat 5:12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

Then there is this, that precedes the passage that you posted:

1Cr 3:8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.

To whom much is given much is required. The cool thing, is that we get to decide how much we give to Him. We decide how much we receive from Him. How obedient we are going to be.

In the same manner, Like Free, I also believe that there are degrees of punishment for those who do not enter the kingdom.

Mat 10:15 Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.
Mat 11:22 But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you.

I don't like the whole different "degree's" idea.

But maybe that's just me. Maybe sinful me. :roll:

I'm going to look into scripture more on this.

..but haven't we pretty much all ended up short the same in God's eyes?

And aren't all who believe simply "saved"? Covered completely by His blood? If that is true what would the purpose of rewards and levels and such be in heaven?

Philippians 2:13
• "For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure."
Hebrews 13:20-21
• "Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,
• Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen."
Ephesians 2:10
• "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."
1st Corinthians 3:9
• "For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building."
2nd Corinthians 4:7
• "But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us."
1st Corinthians 15:10
• "But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me."

It seems to me that since anything we actually do of a kingdom of God nature comes from Him; wouldn’t any rewards we receive be actually God gifting us with the works He worked through us? Thus, He gets all the glory. May be our reward is simply Christ and the gift of proclaiming Him to others.

1 Corinthians 3:10-15
"According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But let each man be careful how he builds on it. For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work. If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire. "

Paul says that we will "receive a reward". Jim Minker writes “Now, just what do you suppose this reward is? Is it the stuff that's left over after the fire hits the pile? If so, notice that building materials don't make it through this fire, so what are you going to build your mansion with? But it doesn't even say that the "reward" is taken out of the gold, silver, or precious stones that remain, does it? Now, even though it may seem that Paul left much to our imaginations as to the nature of these rewards, he did not intend it to be so. For he told us EXACTLY what the "reward" for his "planting" ministry was. “
1 Corinthians 9:16-18
For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for I am under compulsion; for woe is me if I do not preach the gospel. For if I do this voluntarily, I have a REWARD; but if against my will, I have a stewardship entrusted to me. WHAT THEN IS MY REWARD? THAT WHEN I PREACH THE GOSPEL, I MAY OFFER THE GOSPEL WITHOUT CHARGE, SO AS NOT TO MAKE FULL USE OF MY RIGHT IN THE GOSPEL.

GMS

Veritas said:
I don't like the whole different "degree's" idea.

But maybe that's just me. Maybe sinful me. :roll:

I'm going to look into scripture more on this.

..but haven't we pretty much all ended up short the same in God's eyes?

And aren't all who believe simply "saved"? Covered completely by His blood? If that is true what would the purpose of rewards and levels and such be in heaven?

I never thought of it in terms of degrees. I tend to think of the judgments of the wicked in those terms. The purpose of rewards and levels and such in heaven, I could only guess, would be the same for such things here on earth.

I can see the next question coming. How does the Lord make the decisions and pass out rewards to us? Abilities? Who can run the fastest and jump the highest? Obedience? These things are only comparing our works with the works of others.

Those of us who have ended up short in Gods eyes are now seen by God through the blood of Jesus. It is because we are born again, covered with the blood of Jesus and filled with the Holy Spirit that we are able to serve Him.

Lord, help us to throw out the idea of cookie cutter Christianity. You made each one of us different, with a different purpose, and each of us will receive the rewards that you choose for us. You have gone to prepare a place for us. You know each one of us and have put your desires in our hearts. Father, thank you for the rewards that you give your children, whatever they may be and however you choose to distribute them. Thank you for revealing your truths to GMS, through your Word. I pray it in Jesus name. Amen.

Veritas said:
...but haven't we pretty much all ended up short the same in God's eyes?

I am with you Veritas, this reward stuff doesn't make much sense in the knowledge of the finish work of Jesus on the Cross . GMS

Gabbylittleangel said:
Degrees of rewards. Yes
Degrees of responsibility. Yes
Degrees of production of our service for the Lord. (30 - 60 - 100) Yes
Degrees of salvation? No. In the words of George Clooney, "Either you are in or you are out."

Mat 5:12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

Then there is this, that precedes the passage that you posted:

1Cr 3:8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.

To whom much is given much is required. The cool thing, is that we get to decide how much we give to Him. We decide how much we receive from Him. How obedient we are going to be.

In the same manner, Like Free, I also believe that there are degrees of punishment for those who do not enter the kingdom.

Mat 10:15 Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.
Mat 11:22 But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you.
I agree. There are levels of rewards and punishments.

Notice that the New Jerusalem has the names of the twelve apostles and the twelve tribes inscribed upon it; and there are twelve levels within New Jerusalem as is understood from the speaking of twelve foundations.

To those who are interested in this idea of what reward we as believers have and what the unbeliever gets, Tony Warren elaborates:
Ruth 2:12

"The LORD recompense thy work, and a full reward be given thee of the LORD God of Israel, under whose wings thou art come to trust."
It is Biblically absurd to argue for additional personal rewards for the good that we do, or loss of them as judgement for any imperfection (which is sin), while all the while arguing it is not a judgement for sin. If we are not perfect in our works, we are in sin. It was for this reason that Christ went to the cross. That we 'could' appear before Him blameless, perfect, and without fault in all our works. That we 'could' appear before the Bema seat and be judged according to the work of Christ.
The Bema seat is not to punish believers I agree, but it is not to reward anyone based on his individual righteousness (meritorious works) either, for we are all worthy of a full reward of inheritance because we are without fault. And if any of our works could be faulted, it is sin, and the wages of sin is death, not loss of rewards. 'All' our punishment was paid for by Christ at the cross, and our reward was secured for us by that very same 'work' of the cross.

Colossians 3:24

"Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ."
The inheritance is not diverse crowns handed out at the Bema seat, it is that we were born of God, and have the seed of Christ remain in us that we are Sons of God, and heirs of the promise to the Son. There are scriptures which theologians use in their attempts to undermine this inheritance in Christ's Reward, but once carefully examined, none of them either support these doctrines, nor speak of diverse rewards for believers. One such passage often quoted is Revelation chapter 22:
Revelation 22:12

"And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be."
Their belief is that if every man is rewarded according to his own work, then believers shall receive different rewards. The problem with this 'assumption' is that this scripture doesn't say believers. It says every man. In other words, one man will receive reward for Good. And the other the reward for bad. Two different rewards, but for two different men. You see they totally misunderstand and thus misapply this verse. The wicked are rewarded also. What shall their reward be? The word reward [misthos], means payment for work. Thus (as it declares) every man shall be rewarded according to his own work, whether good or bad.

2nd Peter 2:13

"And shall receive the reward of unrighteousness, as they that count it pleasure to riot in the day time. Spots they are and blemishes, sporting themselves with their own deceivings while they feast with you;"
The same word [misthos] meaning payment or reward for our labors. The wicked receive for his work the reward of damnation, and the righteous receive for his work, the reward of everlasting life in the inheritance of the Son. That is how Christ gives to every man according to his own work, whether good or bad. Because when every Christian is rewarded according to his work, then every one of them shall receive the exact same reward, seeing how every work of the man of God is without fault. Every one. God looks upon us all as blameless, and so how could any of us merit less than another? It is impossible.

2nd Timothy 3:17
"That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works."
Revelation 14:4-5
"These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb. And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God."
They stand without fault before the King, and so how could one be faulted that he not receive the same reward that another receives? It is totally unbiblical to believe that one is better than another to be given rewards at the Bema seat. When we are rewarded according to our own works, one (the reprobate) is rewarded according to 'his own' evil work, and the other (the believer) is rewarded according to the Work of Christ on his behalf. He thus receives a full reward. There is no way to escape the obvious implication that our rewards are earned by our own righteousness or good. All we can say to that is, God forbid! "

I hope this helps. GMS
"

Solo said:
Notice that the New Jerusalem has the names of the twelve apostles and the twelve tribes inscribed upon it; and there are twelve levels within New Jerusalem as is understood from the speaking of twelve foundations.

Solo, can you explain what you mean and what verses you are referring to?
Thanks, GMS

12 “And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work.

ernaehrung002.gif
We get a pizza nite! ~or~ Some folks get to go on the "E" ticket rides! :tongue

Hmmm. Nah, that can't be.
"My reward is with Me" Maybe the robes and crowns will be different for each of us.

????

Gabbylittleangel,
Check out earlier post, Rev.22:12 is covered well, I think.
GMS
PS remember for the believer we are already seen as faultless in the Fathers eyes, that is our reward. 1John says it all in5:5 "Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God". gms

GMS said:
Gabbylittleangel,
Check out earlier post, Rev.22:12 is covered well, I think.
GMS
PS remember for the believer we are already seen as faultless in the Fathers eyes, that is our reward. 1John says it all in5:5 "Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God". gms

Just playing with the pizza GMS. This thread is making me homesick. My reward is to look in His eyes and see Him smile.

GMS said:
Solo, can you explain what you mean and what verses you are referring to?
Thanks, GMS

9 And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife. 10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God, 11 Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal; 12 And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel: 13 On the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates. 14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb. Revelation 21:9-14 KJV

Solo said:
...14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb. Revelation 21:9-14 KJV

Hey Solo,
The twelve foundations ~ I picture them as being side by side, like a grid. Where do you see 'levels'?

Solo said:

9 And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife. 10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God, 11 Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal; 12 And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel: 13 On the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates. 14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb. Revelation 21:9-14 KJV

Solo,
Within the circle of influence that I find myself, I would have to conclude that the 12 Tribes, the 24 Elders and the 12 Apostles are symbolic for the redeemed of the Lord, God’s people or the Body of Christ through out the ages. I believe that in Rev. 4:4,10, 5:8 11:16 as well as here represent the totality of believers in both the Old Testament and New Testament. Heb. 11:39 f speaks of the perfection of the Church and 1 Peter 2:4-9 tells us further that this Holy City’s structure is persons who make up the Church and not blocks of stone.

In Christ, GMS

Gabbylittleangel said:
Hey Solo,
The twelve foundations ~ I picture them as being side by side, like a grid. Where do you see 'levels'?
They could be side by side or they could be one on top of the other. I do not know. My question is that why would there need to be multiple foundations on the same level, or three gates on each of four sides. The Bible does not explain this fully for good reason I suspect.

Gabbylittleangel said:
Just playing with the pizza GMS. This thread is making me homesick. My reward is to look in His eyes and see Him smile.

Yes, that will be a indescribable day and all the reward I need.
In Christ, GMS

This has been a fun read... :) I am debated out right now, so for the most part I will just be reading, but I did want to make two comments and throw a monkey wrench into this discussion and perhaps it will make for some other cool threads....

The bible is clear that there will be degrees of rewards in heaven...Some folks will receive full drum sets to praise God with and others will get a pot and a spoon to bang on....

The bible also speaks of different ''degrees'' of punishment in hell..Of course these folks will be visiting the Great white thrown to receive there degree of punishment....What it is, the bible does not say, perhaps it is the temperature setting on the furnace....

The bible also speaks of different degrees of angles and demons.....
Could be a good topic, as they are real........

Gabbylittleangel wrote:
"My reward is with Me" Maybe the robes and crowns will be different for each of us.

The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying, Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created. Revelation 4:10-11

I think that's what I'll be doing with my crown if I get one. 8-)

(I don't look at Revelation much as I don't understand how to interpret it well) - what do you think?

24elders=us ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back