Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Law of the Spirit

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Paul admonishes us to walk in the Spirit, so that we don’t fulfill the lusts of the flesh.

Those who practice the works of the flesh will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:19-21
I highlighted selfish ambitions cause I am convinced this is the lust of the flesh in a nutshell.

Here is Jesus at 12 years old:

Luke 2:49 "Why were you searching for me?" He asked. "Didn't you know that I must be about My Father's business?"

Paul goes on to say that those who ”sow” or invest themselves toward the Spirit, (the things the Spirit desires) will reap everlasting life.

Some examples

Prayer and intercession
Repentance
Worship
Bible reading and meditation
Gathering with other believers
Bible Study
Giving to worthy causes
Witnessing
Seeing about widows and orphans
Visiting and praying for the sick
Visiting those in prison
Being led by the Spirit in helping others

Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life. Galatians 6:7-8

Those who sow or invest themselves towards the desires of the flesh, (sin) will reap eternal death. Corruption.

JLB
All things you listed are selfless acts that bring the will of God to earth.

I highlighted selfish ambitions cause I am convinced this is the lust of the flesh in a nutshell.

Luke 2:49 "Why were you searching for me?" He asked. "Didn't you know that I must be about My Father's business?"

Great point.

All things you listed are selfless acts that bring the will of God to earth.

These are activities of being led by the Spirit to sow or invest in our spiritual life.

Our Attitude

Philippians 2:5-11
Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus
Who, being the very nature God,
did not consider equality with God
something to be grasped,
but he made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death-
even death on a cross!

Therefore God exalted him to the
highest place.
and gave him the name that is
above every name,
that at the name of Jesus every knee
should bow,
In heaven and on earth and under
the earth,
and every tongue confess that Jesus
Christ is Lord,
to glory of God the Father.
This is one of the hardest things to do also. Humble ourselves. I personally have not mastered this and I think this will be one of the last things that God will be working out in me.

Luke 22:24-30 Also a dispute arose among them as to which of them was considered the greatest. Jesus said to them, "The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those who exercise authority over them call themselves Benefactors. But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves. You are those who have stood by me in my trials. And I confer on you a kingdom, just as my Father conferred one on me, so that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom and sit on thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

The way that I am teaching myself to be humble is whenever like say someone is tailgating me and I might feel a twinge of road rage, is to tell myself that, the guy is probably on his way to take his pregnant wife who called him and said she is in labor...so I am humbled and begin looking for a place that I can pull aside or turn around the block to let them get in front of me. Safer for everyone and you never know, maybe his wife is pregnant.

I like letting women drivers be in front of me all of the time. Just in case, lol.

I love when you say the flesh will win battles but it won't win the war. That could be in one of Paul's letters it is so good.
True, but there is a risk and I see evidence of this in hypocrisy when I look around Christian circles. People rest on this truth and ignore the battles because they believe the war has been won.

Scripture says that all who believe in the Son, Jesus, will be saved but nowhere in Scripture does it say that we are free to ignore the laws to love God and our neighbors. We are even told what that love looks like in the 10 Commandments.

The way that I am teaching myself to be humble is whenever like say someone is tailgating me and I might feel a twinge of road rage, is to tell myself that, the guy is probably on his way to take his pregnant wife who called him and said she is in labor...so I am humbled and begin looking for a place that I can pull aside or turn around the block to let them get in front of me. Safer for everyone and you never know, maybe his wife is pregnant.

I like letting women drivers be in front of me all of the time. Just in case, lol.
There must be a lot and I mean a lot of men out there hurrying to get to his pregnant wife because she called to tell him she was in labor. :biggrin2 What is the excuse for the women who tailgate. In my experience, there is no difference between men and women as both are equally capable.

True, but there is a risk and I see evidence of this in hypocrisy when I look around Christian circles. People rest on this truth and ignore the battles because they believe the war has been won.

Scripture says that all who believe in the Son, Jesus, will be saved but nowhere in Scripture does it say that we are free to ignore the laws to love God and our neighbors. We are even told what that love looks like in the 10 Commandments.
This would be what you call "grieve the Holy Spirit"

Ephesians 4:30-32 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

If you love him, you will not want to make him sad about what you are doing.

This is definitely a Spirit attitude.

I have looked at it from this angle too and it does lift the heaviness of what I am feeling.

James 2:12-13 Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment!

There must be a lot and I mean a lot of men out there hurrying to get to his pregnant wife because she called to tell him she was in labor. :biggrin2 What is the excuse for the women who tailgate. In my experience, there is no difference between men and women as both are equally capable.

Oh yeah, well the women are hurrying to get home to a sick child of course. Even if I were to say that women can't drive it is not their fault that Eve didn't get that part of Adam that could drive. Either way, let's get those girls out front of me!

This would be what you call "grieve the Holy Spirit"

Ephesians 4:30-32 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

If you love him, you will not want to make him sad about what you are doing.

I've learned that it is a lot easier to forgive someone, on the spot and not later. I've done it both ways and it's easier to forgive now rather than carry it around with me as it festers and causes damage to the spirit and actually inhibits spiritual growth.

But to come up with a rationalization of why to forgive that person, is effective and always leads my mind and being into a train of thought that is humble and forgiving...and that brings peace to the spirit.

Even if a person does a terrible wrong to you, you can surmise that it is not really their fault. It is the fault of all of the demonic oppression that they are under. Scripture? Ok.

Ephesians 6:12. And this is the frame of heart and mind that allows us to understand why and how we really can pray for our enemies, bless them and pray for them.

Matthew 5:43-48

43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?

48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.../

I've learned that it is a lot easier to forgive someone, on the spot and not later. I've done it both ways and it's easier to forgive now rather than carry it around with me as it festers and causes damage to the spirit and actually inhibits spiritual growth.
I agree! Ephesians 4:26-27 "In your anger do not sin". Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold.

I think this goes along with your forgiving on the spot instead of later.

I agree! Ephesians 4:26-27 "In your anger do not sin". Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold.

I think this goes along with your forgiving on the spot instead of later.

I remember one time that somebody cut me off in traffic and almost hit me. I got a surge of adrenaline and the accompanying righteous indignation that goes with it because he was clearly in the wrong, and that adrenaline felt like a lightning bolt going through me and I felt my temperature rising.

There was a moment of decision of how to react and I felt like I could hurt him, lol. But I knew that reacting in that way may be manly (Ha!) but I am not supposed to be like that towards anyone. and in a moment of will, I just let it go. The very moment that I did so it was like all of the adrenaline melted away and peace filled me throughout. It was very strange how I switched gears like that so fast but it was enormously pleasant peace and I knew I made the right decision about letting it go instantly. That was pretty profound thing that happened to me, to go from angry enough to hurt someone to love & understanding in about 3 seconds, so it's been even easier since then.

Here is one of the more difficult spiritual truths for people to handle.

Matthew 5:38-39 "You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you. Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also."

It goes in tandem with this scripture:

James 4:7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

The devil pokes at you trying to get you to sin. Don't do it. Don't give him what he gives you.
"Turn the other cheek" seems to be interpreted in several ways , the Bible commentaries I've seen anyway.
if someone gives me a black eye, I'm not going to say " here, make the other one black too". I have a right to self defence.
Maybe it is saying "Don't get revenge. Don't get even". kind of like MLK and the freedom fighters.

"Turn the other cheek" seems to be interpreted in several ways , the Bible commentaries I've seen anyway.
if someone gives me a black eye, I'm not going to say " here, make the other one black too". I have a right to self defence.
Maybe it is saying "Don't get revenge. Don't get even". kind of like MLK and the freedom fighters.
Only in the Spirit can we do what is counterintuitive. It's almost a reflex action to want to slap back when you have been slapped. (But that is not what we are to do)

Romans 12:17-21 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mind to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

That was pretty profound thing that happened to me, to go from angry enough to hurt someone to love & understanding in about 3 seconds, so it's been even easier since then.
It takes these steps in our faith to start to live out God's will for our lives. I appreciate that you are sharing things you have done to take this walk.

Romans 12:2 Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will.

John 15:19

“If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.”

When a person is truly christian and not worldly and a prophet then the world hates them. This doesn't apply to many of course, because many don't completely work in the spirit. All the prophets received backlash, but i me Jeremiah and Paul were two that received a lot of backlash.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back