Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Growth Lessons from Joseph

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Joseph is by far my favorite Bible character. That is because he was the underdog. Who doesn’t root for the underdog? He was younger by far than all of his brothers except Benjamin; his brothers hated him because he was his father’s favorite. Then there was the straw the broke the camels back, the dreams. Joseph had dreams that his brothers would bow down to him. His brothers hated him so much that they eventually launched a plan to kill him. They took Joseph and threw him into a pit. While the others were plotting how to kill him, Judah had him spared and sold him to some Ishmaelite traders.

Thinking they were done with him, his brothers went about their lives, but I am sure they never forgot what they had done because their father, Jacob, never stopped grieving for the death of his favorite son. Josephs’ brothers had lied to Jacob and told him Joseph was dead.

All was well, or so they thought, but the Lord had His hand on Joseph. He was sold into slavery and bought by Potiphar, a very influential man in Egypt. He was the captain of the guard. The Lord was with Joseph and everything he did prospered. Soon Joseph was in command of everything that Potiphar owned. He was his second in command. But the story didn’t end there. Potiphar’s wife wanted Joseph and when he did not respond to her affections she accused him of raping her. So off to prison he went.

But the hand of the Lord was still upon Joseph and he soon ran the prison. He interpreted dreams of some special prisoners and this finally got to the Pharaoh because he was having some disturbing dreams. Joseph interpreted Pharaoh’s dreams and was made second in command of all of Egypt. The Lord was with Joseph his whole life, but there was a purpose for all of this.

After the seven years of plenty that Joseph predicted the seven years of drought began. Because of Joseph’s skill in preparation the Egyptians were fine and did not go hungry. However, his brothers now entered Joseph’s life again because they didn’t want their families to go hungry either. Guess what they did, they bowed to Joseph just as his dreams had predicted.

How many years did Joseph have to wait to see his vision come true? There was about six years at Potiphar’s house, seven years in prison, and nine years in charge as Pharaoh’s governor. That is at least 22 years. He was around 17 when he first had the dreams and close to 40 when they actually happened. I just heard a pastor say that he had been waiting for 10 years for his vision to happen and he was frustrated that nothing had happened yet. Habakkuk 2:3 says, “For the vision is yet for an appointed time; But at the end it will speak, and it will not lie. Though it tarries, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry.” NKJ If you are waiting on a vision it will come at the appointed time.

All of the circumstances in your life are meant to happen to work out God’s vision for your life and the lives of others. Joseph was supposed to be in Egypt to save his family and the house of Israel. Don’t take the trials in your life and use them to become depressed. We often quote Romans 8:29, “And we know all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.” NKJ We know this scripture, but do we believe it.

And last, we should forgive those who God uses to put us in these predicaments. Joseph’s brothers were afraid that he was going to kill them. He was now in the position to have anyone in Egypt killed, but instead of revenge he forgave. “Do not be afraid, for am I in the place of God? But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant if for good, in order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive.” Genesis 50:24 NKJ Revenge is big in America today, we all want it, but as Christians we should grant forgiveness instead exacting our revenge.

This is interesting, as I have never viewed Joseph as an underdog. He was just one of the youngest of his brothers, and the one whom God chose to provide for his people through the years of famine that plagued the land. Everything that happened to Joseph was part of God's plan, as he never would have made it to Egypt if his brothers hadn't sold him into slavery.

I think there is a difference between a pligrim, heavenly New Testament people acting under grace, and the idea of the righteousness of God being imposed by the sword on earth, as seen in the Old Testament.

We are here for the sake of the Gospel, in other words.

(I do like a lot of what Ms Sandy says; it's just a question of emphasis.)

Blessings.

Don’t take the trials in your life and use them to become depressed.

And last, we should forgive those who God uses to put us in these predicaments.

Thank you for your insightful post.

I have allowed myself to become depressed by whatever circumstance that upsets me or scare me etc.
Sometimes it is a bit hard to forgive others, but when I give it time, the anger lifts and I have compassion Last night some random stranger gave me this mean look and made some kind of comment and I was hurt and weirded out, (because of my paranoia), but I prayed for them to be blessed and the pain healed.

I'm just reflecting. :) Don't really have anything to add- you did a great job Sandy.

Thank you for your insightful post.

I have allowed myself to become depressed by whatever circumstance that upsets me or scare me etc.
Sometimes it is a bit hard to forgive others, but when I give it time, the anger lifts and I have compassion Last night some random stranger gave me this mean look and made some kind of comment and I was hurt and weirded out, (because of my paranoia), but I prayed for them to be blessed and the pain healed.

I'm just reflecting. :) Don't really have anything to add- you did a great job Sandy.

I think Hebrews 12 has a good antidote to circumstances, whatever they may be: 'Looking unto Jesus...'

Blessings.

I see Sandy's point but would interject the necessity to define forgiveness and revenge biblically and not from the Revisionist Diction of the day. In the field of forgiveness, the Word of God, absolutely, requires it and, in fact, God has modelled it for us.

God forgives any sin we ask Him to forgive! There is condition to that promise and that is repentance. God has, even, chosen to forget out forgiven sins and then, as we study the Proverbs, in context, we see that there are evil men and women and though we forgive their transgression, even when they repent not, we are not wise to forget and to give them an open door to do it to us again.

I have repented of a great deal, living the first 45 years as an Atheist and always, I seek after holiness. So, do I sometimes slip and sin the old sins again? Jesus/God teaches us that if we think it we are guilty of it. Paul, after three years of one on one tutelage at the hand of Jesus teaches us that the Old Man is still strapped to our backs. The best example of this is a bit gross, especially to any Combat Veteran but. In the Roman empire, in some states, the punishment for murder was to bind the body to the back of the offender until the rotting carcass killed him. When I fall victim to my Old Self, I immediately repent and pray for forgiveness of that sin and then do my best not ot go the again.

And God's forgiveness is so conditional that almost all of humanity will reside for eternity in Hell and here we have a view of love that most of us find vulgar but, in the end, it is true. We know that God loves His creation, all of it and yet He has given Angels and Man free choice that they might choose to live in Eternity with Him but most choose Hell and He does not interfere.

Then there is revenge: Revenge, today, by the Revisionist, is confused with Justice. Early, in the scriptures, Jesus/God teaches us our first ?objectional? lesson on justice. In the 9th chapter of Genesis, Jesus teaches that if a man murders a man, we are to kill him. The murderer has sinned against man and against God, the dead man is created in the Image of God!

i.e. The U.S. did not extract revenge when Osama bil Laden was exicuted, justice was served, he was guilty of the murder of thousands of Americans, Russians and many others.

We must learn from our forefathers and study our Bible.
I totally agree with you that revenge is Americas new form of justice. But should everyone that murders someone be put to death? One of my best friends murdered three people. He is in prison for life of course, but he is one of the sincerest Christians I know. Just his testimony brings people to their knees in tears. He was messed up in Satanism and his deliverance from that is one of the most poignant stories anyone can tell. He converts prisoners when he tells his story of deliverance. Should he be dead? He wishes he was sometimes, but I don't want him to be because I would have missed out on knowing one of the giants of the faith if he were. Jesus can do anything with anyone He chooses. Who are we to say who should be put to death?

I totally agree with you that revenge is Americas new form of justice. But should everyone that murders someone be put to death? One of my best friends murdered three people. He is in prison for life of course, but he is one of the sincerest Christians I know. Just his testimony brings people to their knees in tears. He was messed up in Satanism and his deliverance from that is one of the most poignant stories anyone can tell. He converts prisoners when he tells his story of deliverance. Should he be dead? He wishes he was sometimes, but I don't want him to be because I would have missed out on knowing one of the giants of the faith if he were. Jesus can do anything with anyone He chooses. Who are we to say who should be put to death?

Ms Sandy:

Or stated, differently, the Gospel of grace? or imposing righteousness by the sword?

Blessings.

Sandy,
It all comes down to the answer of a single question, are we smarter than Jesus? This facet is avoided with the NCC and NTC's idea that God changed with the birth of Jesus as a man and that, just, is not true. If we can just remember Mal. 3:6 and John 1:1-3 we will avoid the New Covenant and the New Testament Christian's error in our service to God.

Then, to demonstrate the reasonableness of doing it God's way, here in Texas, when I last served in the Prison Ministries, it cost better than $35,000 a year to contain a single prisoner in General Lock Up. The cost, some years ago, now, was over $55,000 a year for the containment of one prisoner on Death Row for a year. Multiply that by 10s of thousands a year in every state and the Federa Lock Ups and it is multiplied by hundreds of thousands every year.

My mother was a Professional Criminal and did 13 turns here in Texas, one in Mississippi and another in Indiana and nobody hit her with the Habitual that was on the book then, here in Texas but I told her and I tell you, she deserved that charge and at the time we still did the Electric Chair and she would have been convicted hands down and strapped into that Chair. But God has made it clear that His people are to be a Holy People and we do not persue that when we choose to disobey Him.

Hope can see that I have lived a large portion of my life with this as an issue to me.

All of what you have said, I fought, as did my dad and my uncles, for you to have the right to hold these opinions but you have avoided the central issue. All the rest of my post was without import and served no purpose, other than for coloring, leaving the issue that must be answered, "Are we smarter than Jesus?"

When you ask this question, "are we smarter than Jesus?", please forgive me, I can be slow at times, what exactly are you referring to. The unchanging laws of God, Moses' Law,......?, or something else?

And I wonder Sandy Zalecki, if I should be asking, it may be off topic from the intent of your OP?

When you ask this question, "are we smarter than Jesus?", please forgive me, I can be slow at times, what exactly are you referring to. The unchanging laws of God, Moses' Law,......?, or something else?

And I wonder Sandy Zalecki, if I should be asking, it may be off topic from the intent of your OP?
It's off Sandy's topic so I'll open a neew string titled "Are We Smarter Than God for this one.

can we get back to joseph? his tribe was the largest of the nation of isreal and when isreal is referred to after the split its also called Ephraim. now then joseph is an archetype of Christ

You are right, it is off topic. We need to get back to talking about Joseph.

You may all notice some posts are gone!. They have been move to Apologetics & Theology.... This new forum Foundation of Faith has been set up apart from the debate forums... Please take note of some of the new heading for the site... We are working towards living up to our mission statement.

ChristianForums.net aspires to provide a place where Christians can come together in fellowship for encouragement, inspiration, and strength to help build each other up and grow in our walk of faith through honest and open discussion, study, reflection, and prayer.

Back to Sandy's thoughts on Joseph Thank you .

This is interesting, as I have never viewed Joseph as an underdog. He was just one of the youngest of his brothers, and the one whom God chose to provide for his people through the years of famine that plagued the land. Everything that happened to Joseph was part of God's plan, as he never would have made it to Egypt if his brothers hadn't sold him into slavery.

Me too, I've always seen him as the favored son and his mother the favored wife, of Jacob. It seems that would cause jealousy among his half brothers.
And then there is the coat his father made him. I've had questions about it. Is it there as some type of symbol, type, or shadow?

Last edited:
Me too, I've always seen him as the favored son and his mother the favored wife, of Jacob. It seems that would cause jealousy among the his half brothers.
And then there is the coat his father made him. I've had questions about it. Is it there as some type of symbol, type, or shadow?
its seen in revalation 12

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back