Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Limbo from 20/20 Television

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Atonement

Okay I wanted to start a thread about this subject. Because I don't want to railroad my other thread, and I know how these threads turn out. But I learned something tonight that I never knew (or heard of)..

The pope has done away with "baby-limbo hell." The Roman Catholic Church has effectively buried the concept of limbo, the place where centuries of tradition and teaching held that babies who die without baptism went. In a long-awaited document, the Church's International Theological Commission said limbo reflected an "unduly restrictive view of salvation". (never knew there was such a thing).

I believe this is a good thing, because I would have to see Scripture for why there was a baby-limbo in the 1st place. Something I see the RCC doing I can give a thumbs up to...

Your thoughts, and why was this just now put forth?

Yeah I thought about the limbo' thing' and I was going to and I still am going to look into it.

I had never heard of "limbo" until I believe it was mentioned by a Catholic who was in our church's bible information class. This was only the second time that I had ever heard of it.

To be honest, I don't know enough about the teaching to comment on it. I do know that from my knowledge it wouldn't be biblical so to hear it's being abolished seems like a "good" thing to me.

Limbo is a theological THEORY on what would happen to unbaptized infants. Limbo is what some theologians suggested might happen to these children who either never had a chance to accept Christ through their own will or be cleansed of original sin.

What the theory stated was that they would not be able to go to heaven, because they still had the stain of original sin, but because, through no fault of their own they passed away, they did not deserve the punishment of hell. So they would go to a in-between place of "eternal bliss" yet not heaven.

However, as the stated God would not unduly keep infants away from him and I have complete trust in the mercy of God that they go to heaven. I don't know if the Church has ever made a "official proclamation" this issue besides the fact that the Pope has said that the theory of limbo is incompatable with God's Mercy.

I think it was most likely put forth now because the issue of limbo had never really been formally dealt with. I am no expert on these issues but I think I have given you guys a fairly good low down on the theory of limbo. Once again, this was never a "doctrine" of the Church but rather a theory.

God Bless

huh, okay so it was theory? Well I can't say you are right or wrong, until I research this more. This is something I have no knowldge on, and frankly I can't respond with a correct position. So for now, I'm taking your word, because your word is all I have right now.

Thank you for your response.

huh, okay so it was theory? Well I can't say you are right or wrong, until I research this more. This is something I have no knowldge on, and frankly I can't respond with a correct position. So for now, I'm taking your word, because your word is all I have right now.

Thank you for your response.

I haven't done that much research on it myself, besides finding it was a theory and a little about exactly what limbo is supposed to be, but I have never subscribed to it. I have had a younger sibling die in a miscarriage and I have no doubts in the Mercy of God.

I believe the Protestant perspective is the same, that even though the child hasn't made his "confession of faith" and been "saved", if the die before the age of reason they would go to heaven any way. Is this what non-Catholics hold to? Just curious.

Oh yeah, I have heard about Limbo, this is why the Catholics believe that their supposed to baptize babies. They think if a baby isn't baptized and the baby dies, then they will end up in Limbo, which is I guess somewhere in between, almost like purgatory but without the punishments. I've often heard that when a baby or child dies that Jesus himself comes for them and carries them to Heaven. Unlike us as adults, we have Angels that come and guide us there.

sisterchristian said:
Oh yeah, I have heard about Limbo, this is why the Catholics believe that their supposed to baptize babies. They think if a baby isn't baptized and the baby dies, then they will end up in Limbo, which is I guess somewhere in between, almost like purgatory but without the punishments. I've often heard that when a baby or child dies that Jesus himself comes for them and carries them to Heaven. Unlike us as adults, we have Angels that come and guide us there.

That's very interesting. I will have to research this when time permits. So I wonder how the Catholics feel about this? It's been a tradition to baptize their young for so long, and now it seems they don't need to or have too. Are Catholics susppose to follow the pope? So if the pope say's enough with limbo, then that leaves a broad of other things open to consider? Speculation of course on my part..

Interesting theory - however, so far I have not seen any Scripture to support this proposed "limbo".

To remain consistent with their Calvinistic doctrine - I know there are those in the Reformed church - and those who hold to Reformed theology - that believe anyone who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior go to Hell - regardless of age or reason of death.

I forget where, and will have to look it up - however, I believe there is a verse or two where David mentions that he will see his son (who died) again. If memory serves, it was an infant son. The speculation here is that David was referring to Heaven, and that David would see him again there.

[
quote="aLoneVoice"]Interesting theory - however, so far I have not seen any Scripture to support this proposed "limbo".
That's because there is no scripture to support this. This is something that theCatholic church taught just like alot of other stuff that the Catholic church teach that are'nt biblical.

It's been a tradition to baptize their young for so long, and now it seems they don't need to or have too.
The Church has not changed anything with infant baptism. The Church's position on it hasn't changed.

That's because there is no scripture to support this. This is something that theCatholic church taught just like alot of other stuff that the Catholic church teach that are'nt biblical.

Once again, the Church has never taught this, it was simply a theory. The Church has never spoken on the issue so the faithful are able to believe what they will.

aj830 said:
Once again, the Church has never taught this, it was simply a theory. The Church has never spoken on the issue so the faithful are able to believe what they will.
Why do I hear it taught, when I've been to hundreds of Baptisms in the past? But yet you sit there trying to tell me it is not so! I know what I heard!

Why do I hear it taught, when I've been to hundreds of Baptisms in the past? But yet you sit there trying to tell me it is not so! I know what I heard!

Wait they were teaching limbo at baptisms? I do not understand what you are trying to say.

Maybe you misunderstood me, limbo is a theory, baptism is a doctrine.

aj830 said:
Wait they were teaching limbo at baptisms? I do not understand what you are trying to say.

Maybe you misunderstood me, limbo is a theory, baptism is a doctrine.
Yes, but they believe that if a baby is'nt baptized, If that baby dies than they will end up in Limbo. That's why I said I've heard this said at baptisms.

Yes, but they believe that if a baby is'nt baptized, If that baby dies than they will end up in Limbo. That's why I said I've heard this said at baptisms

I don't know who exactly was telling you this but like I said the Church had never made a official pronouncment on it so the faithful were free to believe in a "limbo" type area or not. Limbo is theory and not required for belief.

aj830 said:
I don't know who exactly was telling you this but like I said the Church had never made a official pronouncment on it so the faithful were free to believe in a "limbo" type area or not. Limbo is theory and not required for belief.

So, aj - what does the Roman Catholic church teach about the eternal desitination of a 18 month old who passed away and was not baptized?

So, aj - what does the Roman Catholic church teach about the eternal desitination of a 18 month old who passed away and was not baptized?

From the Catechism
As regards children who have died without Baptism, the Church can only entrust them to the mercy of God, as she does in her funeral rites for them. Indeed, the great mercy of God who desires that all men should be saved, and Jesus' tenderness toward children which caused him to say: "Let the children come to me, do not hinder them," allow us to hope that there is a way of salvation for children who have died without Baptism. All the more urgent is the Church's call not to prevent little children coming to Christ through the gift of holy Baptism.

As regards children who have died without Baptism, the Church can only entrust them to the mercy of God, as she does in her funeral rites for them. Indeed, the great mercy of God who desires that all men should be saved, and Jesus' tenderness toward children which caused him to say: "Let the children come to me, do not hinder them," allow us to hope that there is a way of salvation for children who have died without Baptism. All the more urgent is the Church's call not to prevent little children coming to Christ through the gift of holy Baptism.

So salvation is found in Baptism?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back