Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Love and Good Works

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
After contemplating much of what has been posted in some of the threads I've been involved in whether it be about church organization, the Holy Spirit, etc.; it occurred to me that despite the number of times I have either posted or read other posters that post Hebrews 10:24-25 that I had been missing something.

With that in mind for this thread I'd like for us to come together and develop some ideas and hopefully some action plans to put those good ideas to works. The ideas I'm looking for center around things we can do either as individuals or as a teams that are good works that will make our communities better, assist someone in need, etc. So in summation, let us consider one another so that we can provoke each other to love and good works!

Part of the key to "provoking" (in a good way!) in verse 24 is found in verse 25 when we are told, "exhorting one another". That exhortation is really important... we need each other. We need to be built up, encouraged and supported. When we get that from one another, it becomes a foundation upon which to love and do good works. Too often, Christians interact with each other by attempting to "correct" each other about all sorts of issues (OSAS, infant baptism, predestination, etc. etc. etc.). While developing correct doctrine is not to be despised, the tearing down of one another certainly is!

Once we have that foundation of encouragement and exhortation in place... then yes, we do need to consider how work together to walk in those good works that have been prepared for us to do as per Ephesians 2:10. Certainly the apostles desired the early church meet the needs of each other and the poor in very practical ways... heck, they were selling off possessions in order to give to those in need as well as support those devoting their time and efforts to the spread of the gospel. It's sad today that so much of the resources put in the collection plate any given Sunday goes to build bigger buildings and support someone to preach the gospel to those already saved. :gah

I realize this hasn't been the practical ideas that you are calling for, but I think it's good to consider these things.

As for those very practical ideas...one thing is for certain. It will require of us to be in our community. If one lives in a place where I do, where everyone has their own gardens and raises their own chickens and steers... perhaps a food pantry isn't as much needed as a good clothing closet, where folks can trade clothing and linens and such. (Not that the local food pantries aren't needed.)

A passage to consider: James 2:15-16 22 If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and be filled,” and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that?

One idea that keeps popping into my head it to as a group start a sort of "pay it forward" tradition where we randomly bless others and share those experiences with each other. If this turns into a random act of kindness thread then we will definately show that good is being accomplished. Never anything wrong with showing a little love now and again :)

I live in Houston and I have recently become more and more aware of the problems many less fortunate than I have. On my daily travels I see kids and young mothers under bridges and on the streets and it breaks my heart. Giving a few bucks helps, but you don't know what your dollars are doing. I took the time to look up some reputable charities that caters to these kids and I found a group called The Covenant House that has made it their business to help these homeless kids. According to their website they do the following:

Covenant House Texas is part of an international network founded in New York. Covenant House Texas opened its doors in Houston in 1983. We help kids in crisis through residential programs, community services and outreach efforts designed to keep young people off the streets. Each night, Covenant House Texas provides shelter to an average of 100 residential clients under the age of 21. We work with dozens more who come in for walk-in services, meet with our HIV case manager or visit counselors through our aftercare program. In addition, we serve hundreds of homeless kids and at-risk youths through our outreach and prevention efforts.

If anyone wishes to help I have attached a donation link below that can be used. More info can be found about the charity for those who wish to vet it out first at the following site: http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=7330

http://www.covenanthousetx.org/donate

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back