Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Luke 6:12-16

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Luke 6:12-16 King James Version (KJV)
12 And it came to pass in those days, that he went out into a mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God.

13 And when it was day, he called unto him his disciples: and of them he chose twelve, whom also he named apostles;

14 Simon, (whom he also named Peter,) and Andrew his brother, James and John, Philip and Bartholomew,

15 Matthew and Thomas, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon called Zelotes,

16 And Judas the brother of James, and Judas Iscariot, which also was the traitor.

Luke 6:12-16 Revised Standard Version (RSV)
Jesus Chooses the Twelve Apostles

12 In these days he went out to the mountain to pray; and all night he continued in prayer to God.13 And when it was day, he called his disciples, and chose from them twelve, whom he named apostles;14 Simon, whom he named Peter, and Andrew his brother, and James and John, and Philip, and Bartholomew,15 and Matthew, and Thomas, and James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon who was called the Zealot,16 and Judas the son of James, and Judas Iscariot, who became a traitor.

Revised Standard Version(RSV) Revised Standard Version of the Bible, copyright © 1946, 1952, and 1971 the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

12 Jesus being perfect took much time in His life to pray so much that the disciples asked Him how they should pray, this shows that He may have spent more time praying then anything else. How often do we long prayers with God?

13 The disciples were already chosen at this point at least some because we see early in the chapter that the disciples were with Him but this is the list of those He chose, we as Christians are chosen to be His disciples today.

14 Peter and Andrew and John and James were all called at the sea while they were fishing. Peter may have been the lead fisherman but would be used greatly by the Lord we see this in Acts. Andrew went to Peter to tell him about Jesus. John maybe the closet to Jesus and was also a leader of the church we see this in Acts as well as the letters he was inspired to write. James was also one of Jesus’ inner circle but would die early we see his death in the book of Acts. Not much is said in scripture about Bartholomew.

15 Matthew was the tax collector that was called by Jesus. Thomas was the one who doubted. Other James may have been a kin to Matthew because Matthew’s other name was Levi son of Alphaeus which means they could be as close as brothers if Alphaeus was their father. The Zealots were a rebellious group and Simon was apart of them but was also a disciple of Jesus.

16 This is the other Jude may have been a son of one the James that was also a follower of Jesus. Judas the betrayer he would die before Christ rose from the grave.

This is very interesting .I think one should go back and revisit the reason why Christ taught the Disciples and all of us how we should pray .The Lords Prayer (Mt 6:9-12 , Lk.11:2-4) can almost be rattled off by any person who has been exposed to Christianity.But what I have found helpful in my praying is to try and get more insight into concepts such as "Holy be thy name" and will be done on earth as in heaven" and try to adapt this to my life as a Christian in my daily walk with Christ .What I have found most helpful was Bob Utley's explanation of the meaning of the various key concepts in the Lords prayer and how they apply practically in our daily walk.I like to adapt my prayers around the model given by Christ to his pupils.Those who have not seen Prof. Bob's guide its free at Utley,ibiblio.com You too can understand the Bible series.One might be surprised seeing a passage well known from a different perspective.How we must pray depends on how the Spirit guides us .Jn 14: 26

Last edited:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back