Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Madrid ban angers skinny models

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
im glad people are finally banning these paper thin models. It just makes every other girl in the world want to be like that, and develope eating disorders. Its pretty sick.

I think all models should be at least 100 pounds over weight, drink alcohol, diminish everything Christian, and think just like Peace4all!!

badidea.gif

.......................................................................Naaaah!!!

I think that this is such a subjective way to hire people anyway, that one more "hurtle" won't matter overall.

The thing is, if we need models, then why do they have to fit any criteria at all? Aren't the people buying these clothes everyday people? Why not just use every day people to wear those clothes...now that would be different. Big, small, children, black, white, tall, short....real, everyday people from all walks of life modeling clothes on the cat walk by famous designers. This would actually be something. This would be truly different, and could possibly impact those young girls who are being allowed to lust after clothes, and skinny, by their parents...encouraged even.

The thing is, the designers use small, thin models so that they will fit into anything, and so that all styles will be flattering, and appealing in an immodest manner. They are selling designer clothes to people who diet to fit in them, can't afford to buy them, and really just don't have a need for them. Why pretend to be moral about it? "Sick" models should be determined to be sick by the doctor, not by some industry that is trying to promote itself with an empty idea of being politically correct. Why are they punishing people they claim are sick when it's the entire industry that is sick? It's a very subjective job market, and overall the move really impacts no one in a true way, except for those five models who didn't get the job.

The Lord bless you.

How about that, if you don't weigh enough, the government will discriminate against you (even though there's an obesity epidemic). If you like to commit sodomy with many same-sex partners, you get special rights from the government.

Im nto saying punish people for being skinny.

I am saying don't promote it as a healthy lifestyle whne it has horrible negative effects on children.
Letting modles that a majority achieve their appearance by dangerous pils and eating disorders on tv, is just as bad as letting cigarette comercials geared at kids, and alchol comercials geared toward them.

peace4all said:

I am saying don't promote it as a healthy lifestyle whne it has horrible negative effects on children.
Letting modles that a majority achieve their appearance by dangerous pils and eating disorders on tv, is just as bad as letting cigarette comercials geared at kids, and alchol comercials geared toward them.

Let's ban fat people, too. Being obese is as deadly as smoking, and whole lot more repulsive.

On the flipside of the story...

Hold That Fat, New York Asks Its Restaurants

The New York City health department urged all city restaurants yesterday to stop serving food containing trans fats, chemically modified ingredients that health officials say significantly increase the risk of heart disease and should not be part of any healthy diet.

The request, the first of its kind by any large American city, is the latest salvo in the battle against trans fats, components of partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, which three decades ago were promoted as a healthy alternative to saturated fats like butter.

Today, most scientists and nutrition experts agree that trans fat is America's most dangerous fat and recommend the use of alternatives like olive and sunflower oils.

"To help combat heart disease, the No. 1 killer in New York City, we are asking restaurants to voluntarily make an oil change and remove artificial trans fat from their kitchens," said Dr. Thomas R. Frieden, the city's health commissioner, who compared trans fats to asbestos and lead as public health threats. "We are also urging food suppliers to provide products that are trans-fat free."

It is far from clear how many restaurants will heed the call of Dr. Frieden, one of the city's most activist public health commissioners in a generation.
Complete story here: Hold That Fat, New York Asks Its Restaurants

OK, I guess I should comment on the OP and this post;

peace4all said:
im glad people are finally banning these paper thin models. It just makes every other girl in the world want to be like that, and develope eating disorders. Its pretty sick.
I agree with it's premise. Unless you know some young ladies and women who have been affected by this "obsession" to look and be paper thin, you may not understand how damaging the desire to look this way can be. Maybe barring them from some fashion shows is just what the industry needs.

Me, I'm FAR from being a slave to fashion. I'm a jeans and hiking boots slob, I mean guy. LOL Putting a tie on for Church is a big event. :)

It's not just the modeling scene... it's TV, mags, the local and national news stations, etc.

If you only knew the extent some of these models and their fans go through to be that skinny. :o

(Anorexia, bulimia, speed, cocaine, heroin, etc.)

My GF actually has bouted in teh past with severe depression because she thought she was soo fat. She was basically in lvoe with Mary Kate and Ashley, and when they went into hospitals for bullemia or whatever it was the oen was doing, my gf got really depressed and did some really regrettable things.

every time she sees a paper thin model on tv, she says "I wish I could be like that"

Poke, I would agree that if people were modeling as being fat, that it is a good lifestyle, and that is what brigns u fame and fortune, then that should also bebanned from tv. Having an obese person, liek rosie- odonnel, or drew carey on TV, doesn't make people want to be fat. But having the paper thin girls, that get al teh glory and attention. Every 11-19 year old girl wants to be that.

peace4all said:
Poke, I would agree that if people were modeling as being fat, that it is a good lifestyle, and that is what brigns u fame and fortune, then that should also bebanned from tv. Having an obese person, liek rosie- odonnel, or drew carey on TV, doesn't make people want to be fat. But having the paper thin girls, that get al teh glory and attention. Every 11-19 year old girl wants to be that.

Do people really find these sickly-thin models attractive? Not me. If there are any girls who want to look like these models, I don't think the models are the problem. And, I don't think the models should be punished for it.

How on earth can they think this looks good, they don't even have the body parts woman are suppose to have, only bones are there. These woman are almost ready to be buried ....they are close to death.

It would actually scare the living daylights out of me to see someone who looks like this.... I would call 911

(click to enlarge)

destiny said:
How on earth can they think this looks good, they don't even have the body parts woman are suppose to have, only bones are there. These woman are almost ready to be buried ....they are close to death.

It would actually scare the living daylights out of me to see someone who looks like this.... I would call 911

(click to enlarge)
I clicked the picture to enlarge..........but it didn't help any!!
Wow77-1.gif

Peace, I wasn't directing my post to you...I got what you meant. I was responding directly to the article. It just seems to be like putting a band-aid on a failing heart to me. I must be so out in left field, but I just think that it is my duty, as a parent, to protect my daughter from desiring such things for herself, especially above loving God, and all the wonderful things He would have her do with her life besides buying designer clothes, and starving herself to fit into them. Such a waste to me.

Destiny, you are right, I think I would call 911 too, and then I would wrap my arms around her and tell her how Jesus love her, and wants her to come as she is...He will make her beautiful from the inside out.

The Lord bless all of you.

Destiny, you are right, I think I would call 911 too, and then I would wrap my arms around her and tell her how Jesus love her, and wants her to come as she is...He will make her beautiful from the inside out.
Thats so true, lovely ....and she would never thirst again.

:-P lovely, my quote was more in response to poke's comment. :)

I am really upset over ALOT of the trends these days. If your not blond, tan, and 20 pounds under weight your not attractive? Although I don't believe in God, I still believe the same fundamental thing. You are the way you are, and its what inside that counts. You can be a beautiful person, on the inside, no matter what you look like on the outside.

It's sad when on one channel, you see the poor kids in Africa, that have their bones sticking out, and look like they are steps from death, and then you flip channels and you are now looking at the same size women, in glitter and cloth, shinning light, and its all ok.

tisk tisk tisk.

Hi Peace,

peace4all wrote:
:tongue lovely, my quote was more in response to poke's comment. :)

I am really upset over ALOT of the trends these days. If your not blond, tan, and 20 pounds under weight your not attractive? Although I don't believe in God, I still believe the same fundamental thing. You are the way you are, and its what inside that counts. You can be a beautiful person, on the inside, no matter what you look like on the outside.

It's sad when on one channel, you see the poor kids in Africa, that have their bones sticking out, and look like they are steps from death, and then you flip channels and you are now looking at the same size women, in glitter and cloth, shinning light, and its all ok.

tisk tisk tisk.

Thanks, I wanted to clarify because we do agree on the core of this issue. That is rare for us, and I wanted to acknowledge it. :biggrin :wink: The Lord bless you.

I wasn't going to respond to this because I have been underweight my entire life and I hate it. Throughout my life, I have always been asked "Are you anorexic". I had an 11 yera old ask me that in Walmart the other day. You would think as an adult that it wouldn't bother me as much, but it did. It felt like a knife going through my heart. I am NOT anorexic and I do NOT have an eating disorder. I just have a very high metabolism. I don't even exercise because of fear of losing weight. I NEED to exercise because I have no energy and heart disease runs in my family, but I just can't get myself to do it because I don't want to lose so much as a pound.

I CAN say that I don't look like the girl in that one picture that someone posted though. That picture just looks painful and I would never support eating disorders or harming your health to look skinny.

Now...anyone got 10 lbs they wouldn't mind donating to me?

There's some degree of hysteria over eating disorders resulting in people assuming that any skinny person has an eating disorder. There are a lot of fat people who would be happier and live longer if they developed an eating disorder other than over-eating.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back