Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Major difference between Sin and Sins

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I was hoping you were going to tell us. Seems to me one is singular and one is plural. Something tells me that's not what you were looking for...

One is a 3 letter word and the other is a 4.

That is a difference.

One letter makes a difference, you see, just add a 'g' on the end of sin and you have the word 'sing'.

Sing and sins is a huge difference.

Lol.

Not the plurality
I learnt that sins are the products of sin. From this point I was lost and confused

Not the plurality
I learnt that sins are the products of sin. From this point I was lost and confused
I'm already lost and confused by what you said here. I always thought a sin is one sin and sins is more than one sin. I mean, ball is one ball and balls is two or more balls, right? (Couldn't resist a reference to soccer... :-D)

I guess "sin" can be plural as well. Such as saying "The world is full of sin" is obviously talking about more than one sin.

There's a distinction made between sin and sins in Romans. 'Sins' refers to the multiple instances of sin, but sometimes 'sin' (not just 'a sin') speaks of the sin nature rather than a specific sin. A couple of examples...

Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to every person, because everyone sinned. (Romans 5:12)

Moreover the Law entered that the offense might abound. But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more, so that as sin reigned in death, even so grace might reign through righteousness unto eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Romans 5:20-21)

There's a distinction made between sin and sins in Romans. 'Sins' refers to the multiple instances of sin, but sometimes 'sin' (not just 'a sin') speaks of the sin nature rather than a specific sin. A couple of examples...

Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to every person, because everyone sinned. (Romans 5:12)

Moreover the Law entered that the offense might abound. But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more, so that as sin reigned in death, even so grace might reign through righteousness unto eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Romans 5:20-21)
I think your interpretation makes sense, and I believe that is what the preacher also was trying to convey. Just that my thought traveled home after paying attention to the preacher a couple of seconds. I wish to believe that Sin refers to the sin nature. And the preacher made an illustration using a tree. The leaves and the fruit from the tree refer to the sins. And the stem down to the root is the Sin. Plucking the fruits or cutting down the leaves won't help, rather tackle the root - all is gone. That was the preacher's point, I presume.
Thanks a lot for the insight.

And Obadiah, I always thought the same - too.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back