Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Matthew 10:28

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

HSong

https://jesus-saves-all.com/
2024 Supporter
Matthew 10:28

And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
https://biblehub.com/matthew/10-28.htm

Here are 7 Christian Universalist arguments that debunk the Eternal Conscious Torment and Annihilationist interpretations of this verse.

1) The word "Hell" here is not Biblically accurate. The correct term is γεέννῃ (geennē)

https://biblehub.com/matthew/10-28.htm
Strong's 1067: Of Hebrew origin; valley of Hinnom; ge-henna, a valley of Jerusalem, used as a name for the place of everlasting punishment.

Everlasting = aion = age = temporary

Was the physical fire in Gehenna burning forever? No. Risk of busk fires, toxic fumes going from side of Jerusalem, heavy rainfall, used for burning corpses of enemies like Assyrian army when it takes too long to bury.

So, since Gehenna is merely a physical temporary location, it's punishment is temporary (and, of course, only relevant to the people who were there in that particular time period when it was active). So, it's impossible for Gehenna to torture someone forever or destroy someone forever.

2) God being capable of destroying both soul and body does not mean that He will do it. Especially since He desires to save all people.

1 Timothy 2:3-6: "This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

It was God's choice to create us. He had the ability to not create us in the first place, yet He chose to anyways. God has the ability to not create soul and body, but since He desires life, He creates soul and body.

3) What exactly is destroyed in the soul and body? When God destroys the soul and body, does He destroy it fully? Or does he destroy only the part which has sin and saves the rest?

Psalm 145:20 The Lord preserves all who love him, but all the wicked he will destroy.
Is one passage which can describe destruction. Here's the problem though. All humans are wicked! I'm wicked, you are wicked. Wicked means having sin, disobedience to God's law, we're all sinners! Romans 3:23 Hey, so by that logic, literally none of us should be saved. All of our souls and bodies should be destroyed!

But hey, wait a minute. The Bible says that certainly, there are guaranteed at least some people save. I think that's something both Christian Universalist and Christian Infernalists can agree on... hopefully lol.

But, what are we saved by? Is it by our own works. No! It is by grace through faith. But the grace of God is given to all people Titus 2:11. The problem with Eternal Concious Torment and Annihlationism is it makes the grace of God flawed by saying He's only biased to give grace to some people. But grace is grace! We're all sinners, thus we will all be reconciled with God, all will become believers in Christ!

4) Even if God fully destroys something, what exactly is "fully" destroyed anyways, literally or figuratively?
So once a person has faith alone in Christ, the Holy Spirit dwells inside us, who is God. God is a consuming fire Hebrews 12:29 Deuteronomy 4:24, so He will burn away all of our sins, because that's in His nature.

I Peter 1:3-6 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: (KJV)

How is pure gold formed? By having the impurities fully destroyed. Yes, gold must be fully destroyed in order for it to become pure gold! But wait a minute! How come this gold is still gold even though it's been FULLY destroyed!? Because only the bad parts are fully destroyed. Thus, the sin of a person's soul and body are FULLY destroyed! What does that leave behind? The pure and refined parts of a person's soul!

So, here's the truth my friends. We will all be fully destroyed into gold! Yep! This destruction is "full" because, God, like one who examines gold, goes through every aspect of us, and makes sure that not even a single smallest percentage of sin remains, as white as snow! Isaiah 1:18

perishes
ἀπολλυμένου (apollymenou)
Verb - Present Participle Middle - Genitive Neuter Singular
Strong's 622: From apo and the base of olethros; to destroy fully, literally or figuratively.

What perishes? Our sin, of course. Naturally, the wages of sin is death, so it's natural that sin will physically die. And all sin must be spiritually destroyed as well. What does that leave behind? Well, we are sinners, and our disease is sin, so once all our sins are fully destroyed, we're left with a completely cured patient.

4) (Bonus Argument) English and Greek have different definitions for the word "destroy"

In our Modern English, we may think of destroy as "completely 100% destruction". And certainly, sin will be 100% destroyed, yet we will live, because all the death has been 100% destroyed. In the Greek of the New Testament, there's also the meaning of destroy where it means "to refine into something"

622. ἀπόλλυμι (apollumi)

Looking through the list... hey wait a minute. Apoll, isn't that an interesting etymological word root? Does that not sound like the demon Apollyon?

Revelation 9:11 and they have over them a king -- the messenger of the abyss -- a name is to him in Hebrew, Abaddon, and in the Greek he hath a name, Apollyon. (YLT)

Apollyon.
Ἀπολλύων (Apollyōn)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 623: Apollyon, The Destroying One, a Greek translation of the Hebrew: Abaddon. Active participle of apollumi; a destroyer.

Hey, Strong's literally says that Apollyon is "The Destroying One". But, how can a mere demon, a creation of God, have any authority to completely 100% utterly destroy something? Well, in the English sense, a demon cannot annilhate, like reduce something to absoluttely nothing. But in the Greek sense, the demons can be used to refine people, through the struggles they experience which could lead them to realize their sins (repentence) to realize their need of a savior to have faith alone in Him, Christ to be saved. Demons are also useful adversaries in training Christians who are already permanently saved, to refine their skills, in a sense.

5) Apollumi, destroy, is related to the term "ruin"
https://biblehub.com/greek/strongs_623.htm

Let's not get sidetracked and examine this list.
Hmm..... first we can see that the word "perish" is used, so it's not always "destroy" in the English sense

Further, we see the words "ruined"
Matthew 9:17 V-PIM/P-3P
GRK: οἱ ἀσκοὶ ἀπόλλυνται ἀλλὰ βάλλουσιν
NAS: out and the wineskins are ruined; but they put

Luke 5:37 V-FIM-3P
GRK: οἱ ἀσκοὶ ἀπολοῦνται
NAS: out, and the skins will be ruined.

Ever visit one of those old historical places, maybe a relic at a museum, or an ancient city. Those are pretty "ruined" huh. Some may even call them "ruins". But... they're still standing! So they aren't completely destroyed nor tortured forever.

6) Apollumi, destroy, is related to the term "lost"

https://biblehub.com/greek/strongs_623.htm
Continuing our adventure through this list, there's a lot of instances of "lost", like from the book of Matthew, where that original Matthew 10:27-28 verse comes from

Matthew 10:6 V-RPA-ANP
GRK: πρόβατα τὰ ἀπολωλότα οἴκου Ἰσραήλ
NAS: go to the lost sheep

Matthew 10:39 V-FIA-3S
GRK: ψυχὴν αὐτοῦ ἀπολέσει αὐτήν καὶ
NAS: his life will lose it, and he who has lost

Matthew 10:39 V-APA-NMS
GRK: καὶ ὁ ἀπολέσας τὴν ψυχὴν
NAS: will lose it, and he who has lost his life

Matthew 10:42 V-ASA-3S
GRK: οὐ μὴ ἀπολέσῃ τὸν μισθὸν
NAS: I say to you, he shall not lose his reward.

Matthew 15:24 V-RPA-ANP
GRK: πρόβατα τὰ ἀπολωλότα οἴκου Ἰσραήλ
NAS: only to the lost sheep

Matthew 16:25 V-FIA-3S
GRK: αὐτοῦ σῶσαι ἀπολέσει αὐτήν ὃς
NAS: his life will lose it; but whoever

Matthew 16:25 V-ASA-3S
GRK: δ' ἂν ἀπολέσῃ τὴν ψυχὴν
NAS: it; but whoever loses his life

Matthew 18:11 V-RPA-ANS
GRK: σῶσαι τὸ ἀπολωλός
KJV: that which was lost.

Mark 8:35 V-FIA-3S
GRK: δ' ἂν ἀπολέσει τὴν ψυχὴν
NAS: it, but whoever loses his life

Mark 9:41 V-ASA-3S
GRK: οὐ μὴ ἀπολέσῃ τὸν μισθὸν
NAS: I say to you, he will not lose his reward.

Luke 9:24 V-FIA-3S
GRK: αὐτοῦ σῶσαι ἀπολέσει αὐτήν ὃς
NAS: his life will lose it, but whoever

Luke 9:24 V-ASA-3S
GRK: δ' ἂν ἀπολέσῃ τὴν ψυχὴν
NAS: it, but whoever loses his life

Luke 9:25 V-APA-NMS
GRK: ἑαυτὸν δὲ ἀπολέσας ἢ ζημιωθείς
NAS: the whole world, and loses or forfeits

Luke 15:4 V-APA-NMS
GRK: πρόβατα καὶ ἀπολέσας ἐξ αὐτῶν
NAS: sheep and has lost one

Luke 15:4 V-RPA-ANS
GRK: ἐπὶ τὸ ἀπολωλὸς ἕως εὕρῃ
NAS: after the one which is lost until

Luke 15:6 V-RPA-ANS
GRK: μου τὸ ἀπολωλός
NAS: my sheep which was lost!'

Luke 15:8 V-ASA-3S
GRK: δέκα ἐὰν ἀπολέσῃ δραχμὴν μίαν
NAS: silver coins and loses one coin,

Luke 15:9 V-AIA-1S
GRK: δραχμὴν ἣν ἀπώλεσα
NAS: the coin which I had lost!'

Luke 15:24 V-RPA-NMS
GRK: ἀνέζησεν ἦν ἀπολωλὼς καὶ εὑρέθη
NAS: and has come to life again; he was lost and has been found.'

Luke 15:32 V-RPA-NMS
GRK: ἔζησεν καὶ ἀπολωλὼς καὶ εὑρέθη
NAS: and [has begun] to live, and [was] lost and has been found.'

Luke 19:10 V-RPA-ANS
GRK: σῶσαι τὸ ἀπολωλός
NAS: and to save that which was lost.

John 6:12 V-ASM-3S
GRK: μή τι ἀπόληται
NAS: so that nothing will be lost.

John 6:39 V-ASA-1S
GRK: μοι μὴ ἀπολέσω ἐξ αὐτοῦ
NAS: that He has given Me I lose nothing,

John 12:25 V-PIA-3S
GRK: ψυχὴν αὐτοῦ ἀπολλύει αὐτήν καὶ
NAS: his life loses it, and he who hates

John 18:9 V-AIA-1S
GRK: μοι οὐκ ἀπώλεσα ἐξ αὐτῶν
NAS: You have given Me I lost not one.

That's a lot of verses. Point is, they are "losing" something. But, to lose something, means it's a possession that's seperate to yourself. Let's say I lost my wallet. Am I completely lost? No, I'm right here. But my wallet, where is it? This is a seperate object that is lost!

But let's say I'm lost. Like, I was walking around, you know... looking for my wallet! And bam! I suddenly have no idea where I am! So, yeah I'm lost. But I'm not "destroyed". Maybe my sense of ego for thinking I knew the place like the back of my hand is destroyed LOL. But, I'm still there, still standing, still talking.

So I shout out "I'm lost!". Maybe, later, some random translators come and decide to put what I said in a book of sorts. So they translated what I say as Apollumi.

So I have been Apollumi-ed. I have been fully destroyed! That's what those English Bible translators would say to expressiosn of being lost.

So when a person's soul and body enters into the physical location Gehenna, something is certainly lost. Their phyiscal life for sure. But, the refinement of God is the process of them losing their sins too! A person may be lost for a while, but they are never lost permanently!

Luke 15:4 “What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it? (ESV)

And I will point out this verse amongst that list
Luke 15:6 V-RPA-ANS
GRK: μου τὸ ἀπολωλός
NAS: my sheep which was lost!'

The sheep was lost! The sheep was Apollumi-ed. "The sheep was destroyed!" is what some Bible translators may write LOL. But, that sheep is still standing, it's just lost.

Hey, speaking of still talking. (I'm glad you're still reading).

7) Destruction is a process.

Check this out:

Luke 8:24 V-PIM-1P
GRK: Ἐπιστάτα ἐπιστάτα ἀπολλύμεθα ὁ δὲ
NAS: Master, we are perishing! And He got

Luke 15:17 V-PIM-1S
GRK: λιμῷ ὧδε ἀπόλλυμαι
NAS: bread, but I am dying here

Hey! Perishing? So, getting destroying. If this person is being "destroyed" then how can they still talk. If destruction is suppposed to be 100% permanent for their whole self, then how are they still having this conversation? They shouldn't be able to talk at all, if we assume the English definition of destroy to mean Annihlationism.

Revelation 18:14 V-AIM-3S
GRK: τὰ λαμπρὰ ἀπώλετο ἀπὸ σοῦ
NAS: and splendid have passed away from you and [men] will no longer

Passed away! Here's a question. If a person passes away, what happens to them? Well, there's an afterlife, hopefully us Christian Universalists and the Christian Infernalists can agree on that (hopefully lol).

Ask an atheist what happens when someone passes away, they might say "destroyed!". But us Christians know that someone who passes away is not fully destroyed, their soul and body is still there.

So yes, we will all pass away, we will all be Apollumi-ed, our soul and body will all be "fully destroyed". Leaving only refined gold in it's place! Amen, God bless my friends :biggrin

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back