Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Natural Mosquitoe repellant?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Nikki

I hate using those chemical repellants on mine and my kids skin. Me and Courtney (my 4 year old) get attacked by the pests. She and I are COVERED in mosquitoe bites and we're miserable. For some reason, my husband and Kailey (my 6 year old) never get bit.

Anyone know if there's anything natural that repels them?

What I hear, is that stuff with "deet" is really useful for repelling misquitoes. But thats for insect repellants.

But, for natural, non-chemical stuff like repellants, I don't know of a natural repellant, but I know some useful precautions against misquitoes:

Don't keep standing water atround your home, it is misquitoes breeding grounds.

Wear thick clothes, that cover you well, thin stuff isn't that good, because bites will get through thin clothing.

If you use repellant, use it with deet(10% deet, I beleive, is best).

don't go outside, if possible, during the parts of day when mosquitoes are most active.

Wearing thick clothes is not something I'm willing to do in 90 degree temps! :o

I wonder why some people literally get attacked by mosquitos (is there supposed to be an 'e' in that word or not?) while others never seem to get bit. I tell my husband it's because I'm sweet. :wink:

Not sure why but I don't have a big problem with mosquitos...neither do my boys...I think it might be the Thalassemia but who knows.

Anyway, I have heard that Avon's Skin So Soft body oil original scent is a good one to try. I have used it myself but since I hardly get bit anyway, I am not sure how good it is. I do know that while using it I didn't get any bites at all.

I'm one of those "sweet" people too. I'm the first one they come after!

Maybe they are possessed with mosquitoe demon's and the devil just wants to attack the Christians that are getting too close to God! J/K that was a joke! little blood sopper boogers!

I tried using skin so soft. they bite me anyway. But I do know, it works on some people I know.

Being a natural organic gardener....

Garlic and Hot spicey peppers are not insects favorite meal. I know when you plant garlic and hot peppers in your garden they are excellent insect repellents for the delecate neighboring plants. Marigold flowers are excellent insect repellants also. Try planting some around your house.

Natural insect repellants, I can't guarantee they will keep the mosquitoes away from "you" in particular. but those plants are natural bug a boo's for any garden. If it keeps bugs away from your garden then it should keep them away from your yard.

so then... Plants to have around your yard....

Garlic
hot pepper plants

marigolds

You can look on the yahoo search engine like Vic suggested. And while you're at it, look up plants that are natural insect repellant for the garden.

Just an idea you might want to try.

Also, Never water your yard or garden before the sun is about to go down. it will attract those critters in a flash! If you must water water a couple hours before the sun goes away from the area you want to water so it has time to dry on the surface.

I don't go outside when the mosquitoes are active, too much west nile in this area. So far we're okay though.... Thank God.

and I don't have any holes in the screens in the windows or doors. Make sure there aren't any gaping cracks or holes under the doors either. Make sure you have no holes or cracks in which they can get into the house anywhere. Patch those gaps. :)

10_2_23.gif

Hope this helps. :)

Don't be fooled. "Natural" repellents do not work, at all. It's a scam.

Heck, even DEET doesn't work all THAT well.

Bryan said:
Don't be fooled. "Natural" repellents do not work, at all. It's a scam.

Heck, even DEET doesn't work all THAT well.

Hahaha!

There are all kinds of theories out there! Some work some don't.

It all depends on your body chemistry.

I've heard some fair skinned people get bit more than olive or dark skinned people. So they say.

I also heard it depends on how you breathe! LOL
For instance, if you breath slow and shallow the mosquitoes will only bite you on the exhale. or is that on the inhale? hahahaha! That's a good one!

But I really believe it all depends on the individuals body chemistry.

GARLIC! eat lots of garlic!

Moquitoes are llittle vampires! LOL

10_2_23.gif

I have also heard that about the fair and darker skins. I have an olive complexion one of my nieces. My niece's sisters are both pretty fair and they get bit far more than she does. So there might be some truth to that.

Well, I got so desperate the other night, that I coated myself in some repellent with Deet in it. I ended up getting bit only once, so that's a plus!

When doing a search on Google, I found a lot of sites recommended that Catnip oil repels them.

I did find this informing info though:

Ever wonder why the mosquitoes bite you and not the guy next to you? They are attracted to certain chemicals in the carbon dioxide being released from your body and the guy next to you doesn't have as much of these chemicals in his carbon dioxide as you do. However, there are thousands of chemicals already identified in human carbon dioxide release! What are these certain chemicals that attract mosquitoes? Have they been identified? Yes! but the scientists who discovered them aren't telling us exactly what they are! That’s right they are keeping these facts a secret! All they will say is that three key chemical signatures found in the release of human carbon dioxide will attract mosquitoes at a rate of 100%.

Other scientist have proven that these chemicals are Lactic Acid related and another attractant is fatty acids being released in the human carbon dioxide signature.

http://www.naturesherbal.com/Mosquitoes.htm

However, there are thousands of chemicals already identified in human carbon dioxide release! What are these certain chemicals that attract mosquitoes? Have they been identified? Yes! but the scientists who discovered them aren't telling us exactly what they are! That’s right they are keeping these facts a secret! All they will say is that three key chemical signatures found in the release of human carbon dioxide will attract mosquitoes at a rate of 100%.
Hey, hey...now you're on to something. One of those chemicals in the CO2 is the CO2 itself. Mosquitos, spiders and a host of other critters are attracted to CO2. Ever wake up and find a spider coming down at you from the ceiling? He's attracted to the CO2 being released from your body.

So I guess the bst thing to do is cover your body head to toe with Vasoline.....and don't breathe! LOL

Vic Wrote:
So I guess the bst thing to do is cover your body head to toe with Vasoline.....and don't breathe! LOL

Vic, that is just Hillarious!

Do you suppose Bryan will come back on board and tell us he's tried it and it doesn't work, it's a scam?

Maybe sillynikki can wear a suite made out of duct tape with sticky side out will do the trick in stopping those peskies from biting her!

:biggrin

Duct tape! Why didn't i think of that? That's the solution to almost everything isn't it?

:lol:

ICK...vaseline. I don't like that stuff. I don't think I've touched vaseline since I was a kid!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back