Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

new to forum and open for connection

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Oosala

More and more in this world, it seems that the teachings of Christ come into stark contrast with the philosophies of mankind, and the political and economic systems of mankind. The distance between what Christ teaches, and the way things are, in this world, as humans have decided they should be, seems to be growing wider and wider. Each of us is born into a society that is invested in upholding some status quo. Those of us who have been exposed to and come to believe in the teachings of Jesus Christ, will, if we think at all deeply about anything, come to face how the "status quo," the accepted-by-most way of doing things (I'm thinking of Capitalism right now, but that's because of where I was born) simply do not align with Christ's gospel. What to do? As I look around me, I see folks who identify as Christians, holding beliefs and opinions that seem so obviously anti-Christian, that I wonder about how their minds are able to hold and believe in such contradictory ideas simultaneously, without their minds actually exploding! I've tried to think about what the most basic, underlying issues are at play here, and two come to mind: Christ was interested in the end of enmity. Loving our "enemies," not plotting their demise. Love one another, as I have loved you. All about removing obstacles to connection, not creating more and more and more. And, Truth. It seems to me that in Christ's teachings there is a fundamental underpinning: love: light: truth. These three are inseparable. How is it that we have come to such a state in our common societal discourse that LYING, bold, provably-false, outright absurd LIES, are regularly spouted by people who claim to be Christian? Obviously it is not my place to judge who is or isn't living up to Christ's principles, but this one is so fundamental and basic - a commitment to TRUTH - that I find it discouraging, embarrassing, and painful (I'm sorry, Jesus, that these people sully your name and teachings with their lying lyingness) that I sometimes despair. I believe that a part of partaking in the holy spirit of Christ is a quickened ability to discern between truth and lies. But how can the Spirit dwell within us if we knowingly, deliberately, with all manner of rationalizations for doing so, indulge in public, social-media spreading, LYING, and still claim to be a Christian? How do professing Christians come to align themselves with public figures whose behaviour, words, and philosophies are so patently anti-Christian, and then go on to spread the lying word? At some point, especially when things have become so polarized, it really does seem to come down to not being able to serve two masters. What to do?

How is it that we have come to such a state in our common societal discourse that LYING, bold, provably-false, outright absurd LIES, are regularly spouted by people who claim to be Christian?

Greetings and welcome to the forum.

I think there may be several reasons, the primary being that Christians are not all that well educated in either the scriptures or a Biblical world view. So they are like what Paul referred to as ships blown about by every wind of doctrine (Ephesians 4:14), and believe all sorts of things contrary to New Testament teaching. Even the leadership of the church often isn't that soundly based in the word, which with each passing year makes the churches they are leading less able to discern actual truth from falsehood, and if they are constantly interacting with others yet without a true spiritual rudder and compass to guide them, they end up drifting all over the place, wherever the latest wind is blowing.

That would be my initial answer.

Thank you for posting, and welcome once again.
Hidden In Him

More and more in this world, it seems that the teachings of Christ come into stark contrast with the philosophies of mankind, and the political and economic systems of mankind. The distance between what Christ teaches, and the way things are, in this world, as humans have decided they should be, seems to be growing wider and wider. Each of us is born into a society that is invested in upholding some status quo. Those of us who have been exposed to and come to believe in the teachings of Jesus Christ, will, if we think at all deeply about anything, come to face how the "status quo," the accepted-by-most way of doing things (I'm thinking of Capitalism right now, but that's because of where I was born) simply do not align with Christ's gospel. What to do? As I look around me, I see folks who identify as Christians, holding beliefs and opinions that seem so obviously anti-Christian, that I wonder about how their minds are able to hold and believe in such contradictory ideas simultaneously, without their minds actually exploding! I've tried to think about what the most basic, underlying issues are at play here, and two come to mind: Christ was interested in the end of enmity. Loving our "enemies," not plotting their demise. Love one another, as I have loved you. All about removing obstacles to connection, not creating more and more and more. And, Truth. It seems to me that in Christ's teachings there is a fundamental underpinning: love: light: truth. These three are inseparable. How is it that we have come to such a state in our common societal discourse that LYING, bold, provably-false, outright absurd LIES, are regularly spouted by people who claim to be Christian? Obviously it is not my place to judge who is or isn't living up to Christ's principles, but this one is so fundamental and basic - a commitment to TRUTH - that I find it discouraging, embarrassing, and painful (I'm sorry, Jesus, that these people sully your name and teachings with their lying lyingness) that I sometimes despair. I believe that a part of partaking in the holy spirit of Christ is a quickened ability to discern between truth and lies. But how can the Spirit dwell within us if we knowingly, deliberately, with all manner of rationalizations for doing so, indulge in public, social-media spreading, LYING, and still claim to be a Christian? How do professing Christians come to align themselves with public figures whose behaviour, words, and philosophies are so patently anti-Christian, and then go on to spread the lying word? At some point, especially when things have become so polarized, it really does seem to come down to not being able to serve two masters. What to do?
Welcome to the forum maam.

Welcome to the forum Oosala ! :wave2

More and more in this world, it seems that the teachings of Christ come into stark contrast with the philosophies of mankind, and the political and economic systems of mankind.
Has it ever been any different ? Turning the world upside down .

Acts 17​
1 Now when they had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where was a synagogue of the Jews:
2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,
3 Opening and alleging, that Christ must needs have suffered, and risen again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom I preach unto you, is Christ.
4 And some of them believed, and consorted with Paul and Silas; and of the devout Greeks a great multitude, and of the chief women not a few.
5 But the Jews which believed not, moved with envy, took unto them certain lewd fellows of the baser sort, and gathered a company, and set all the city on an uproar, and assaulted the house of Jason, and sought to bring them out to the people.
6 And when they found them not, they drew Jason and certain brethren unto the rulers of the city, crying, These that have turned the world upside down are come hither also;
7 Whom Jason hath received: and these all do contrary to the decrees of Caesar, saying that there is another king, one Jesus.
8 And they troubled the people and the rulers of the city, when they heard these things.

Welcome to the forum Oosala ! :wave2

Has it ever been any different ? Turning the world upside down .

Acts 17​
1 Now when they had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where was a synagogue of the Jews:
2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,
3 Opening and alleging, that Christ must needs have suffered, and risen again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom I preach unto you, is Christ.
4 And some of them believed, and consorted with Paul and Silas; and of the devout Greeks a great multitude, and of the chief women not a few.
5 But the Jews which believed not, moved with envy, took unto them certain lewd fellows of the baser sort, and gathered a company, and set all the city on an uproar, and assaulted the house of Jason, and sought to bring them out to the people.
6 And when they found them not, they drew Jason and certain brethren unto the rulers of the city, crying, These that have turned the world upside down are come hither also;
7 Whom Jason hath received: and these all do contrary to the decrees of Caesar, saying that there is another king, one Jesus.
8 And they troubled the people and the rulers of the city, when they heard these things.
Thus we see that the psychological defense mechanism was at play long before psychologists named it. Romans 2:1. NAILED IT!

Zechariah chapter 1. The four horns are four hidden dynasties. Its education, economics, political, and religion. These four agencies are brainwashing people and children. Revelation chapter 13. The world is being prepared to worship satan as antichrist near future. Look at religion. Many denominations and churches teach tradition of men and false doctrine. The congregation is defenseless against antichrist lies and deception near future. Get the picture. Its spirtual destruction. Some people wont make any effort to study sound doctrine or seek teacher for help. Majority don't have prayer of chance against antichrist. These four agencies have dismantled and poisoned minds of people. God's Election have seal of God, revelation chapter 7. There ready for antichrist. The election are not taken in by the four horns. Its sad. Many people wont think for themselves. Bible prophecy is coming to pass. Near future, antichrist will lead a one world religious system. Its 5 month period.

Replying to Anaphora:
When I referenced Romans 2:1, I was referring to the all too fallen-human tendency to judge in others what we ourselves are guilty of. It is a very helpful spiritual-psychological truth to help us in our efforts as we attempt to "mature to the full measure of the stature of Christ" (Eph 4:13). It helps me to remember to stop thinking about how others do or do not get or follow Jesus, as I think I was guilty of doing in my earlier post (forgive me), but to focus on how I am doing in learning of, and discerning truth, learning of, and getting better at showing love ("As I have loved you, so you must love one another" (John 13:34).
I admit I am baffled by Anaphora's response, because I don't know what, in my post, it was responding to. But it does highlight what I worry about in our conversations and discourse: knee jerk reactions to some "trigger", setting off unrelated rants about some decided upon/fixed "opinion," adamantly defended "beliefs" , regardless of reality, truth, or evidence, or, in particular, any continuity with the conversation one is trying to engage with.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back