Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] Overwhelmed, need guidance

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

yoamocuy

Hey all, I was on these forums a bit this summer but haven't managed to make it on since August because school keeps me kinda busy. Um so yea I'm pretty overwhelmed at the moment and need some major guidance in a few areas. I'm going to be starting the 2nd half of my junior year of college as an electrical engineering major in January but I've started wondering if I'm just wasting my time at this point. When I started out I loved the idea of engineering and such but now I couldn't care less about it. My grades are fine so that isn't affecting my motivation at all, and I even find my classes extremely interesting, but my heart is no longer in engineering. I don't think that I'm turned off by engineering itself but more of college in general because I feel like I'm just wasting my time at this point. Ever since about April of last year Southeast Asia has been on my heart and all I wanna do is move over there and do missions work. I feel like the only reason I'm in college at this point is because it's the safe option. I'm even a bit scared to finish my degree because I'm afraid that if I do I'll end up just getting a job with a company with the intention of only being there a couple years, but then I'll get comfortable and end up wasting my life for nothing.

This Christmas break I've begun looking online for different ministry opportunities for engineering graduates, graduates in general, and people without degrees. I've been praying about whether or not I should go back to school next semester, and if I don't go back that the right doors would open up. So far I haven't found any opportunities in SE Asia for people without degrees but I haven't been seriously looking for more than a few days.

If I do go back to school next semester then I'll have the opportunity to go to Cambodia for 12 days to minister to victims of human trafficking, which is definitely a plus. In order to do so; however, I'm going to need supernatural time management skills because I'll have to miss 3 days of school, which may not seem like much but I'll have my most difficult semester of my college career next semester. I'll have one class in particular which I have to pass this spring or I won't be able to graduate for another year because it is only offered in the spring and our senior design projects require it as a prerequisite, and this class supposedly requires about 16 hours of hw a week outside of class. Because of that, the thought of missing the class and not being able to work on hw for 3 extra days seems daunting.

I know if it is God's will, then everything will work out provided I do everything possible on my part. Despite knowing that, I am still terrified of what is to come. I know that this post is long and I'm sorry if it is scattered, but I need prayer.

Hi yoamocuy, I am sorry to read that you are currently in this difficult position. I ask that the Lord speaks to you to reveal His will. I pray that the Lord speaks to you through dreams and others and His Word. I pray for Him to give you peace and the strength to get through another semester or work in ministry.

I don't have any advice to offer, myself. Your post shows that you are seeking the Lord's will on this matter in prayer and that is what matters most. "Keep seeking, keep knocking and you will find and the door will be opened to you."

I pray that the Lord reveals His good plans for your future in due time.

God bless you!

Greetings yoamocuy!

"I will never leave you nor forsake you..."
God's promise is sure and certain. Our God is a Master Fisherman. My pastor's wife once told me about a vision she had and I'd like share it with you. She had seen the Lord reaching into his net (us) and removing little bits of floatsum and debris. He cared for the net and was making certain that it would be free from any entanglement. I was told to be still and to wait as He prepared me and that I should lean on Him -- to let Him accomplish the work in me first because the 'catch' was bigger than I thought. She saw His hand gently moving to snatch out various things in His people and stressed that He was a Master fisherman and that the 'catch' was bigger than we knew.

As a dad myself who didn't graduate High School and didn't get my G.E.D. until I was 40 years, I know the importance of education. I'm 57 now and am a full time student, the Lord has seen fit to give this great gift to me late in life. No, I won't be an engineer but it is my joy to have raised 2 sons in the fear of the Lord, to have had success in two careers, to have learned to lean on the Lord and bless Him for all my wants and needs. I can not tell you how much His faithfulness and longsuffering has meant to me. It is by Him alone that any success I've seen has been given.

TheLords gave you the right advice --seek ye the Lord, but if it were me you asked? It is true enough to sound trite: Stay in school. Call upon the Lord to strengthen you to complete that which you have started. No man knows what tomorrow will bring, of course - but let it be known The Lord, He is Faithful! and will be with you no matter your choice.

~Sparrow

Hello yoamocuy,

I really think you hit on THE question that anyone who desires to be doing God's work asks themselves when considering their education and life. I have been in nearly the exact position as you and I just recently graduated with my four year degree in Computer Science. Well into my third year I really started thinking about how much I wanted to go into ministry of some sort (not necessarily as a pastor) and made plans for gettings a Masters of Theology degree at a Divinity School near me. I was living with my grandparents for a few years while going to school but I was getting to the point where I didn't want to be a burden to them by staying too much longer and wanted to move out on my own - and I certainly needed a means to support myself.

So during that third year in college I really was at a cross roads and I asked my Dad, "Why am I even going to school for this degree? My heart is really with ministry and studying the Bible." My Dad gave me some comforting words of wisdom though saying that God obviously placed me there for a reason, I was given a scholarship, and I certainly know that God guided me every step of the way when I graduated from my two year college and had no idea where I was going next (He opened unexpected doors for me to go to a 4-year college), and my Dad told me that with at least a secondary source of income I could support myself for whatever ministry God decided to lead me into (and I have a good Pastor friend who is bi-vocational, an engineer [like you] who works with my Dad and pastors a local Church). My Dad also said that God knows what it takes to live in this not-so-easy world and that I need to have a basic trade to support myself (not even thinking of how to support a family of my own). The Apostle Paul took up tent making in addition to his high calling of Apostleship.

Today I sit in front of a computer from the office building of my first full-time career job only freshly graduated (4 months ago in August) as an IT Systems Analyst - a job which I do enjoy - but now I also find the time outside of work free (not cluttered with homework - thank the Lord! :biggrin Keep the faith brother with enduring burdensome homework - I've been there) to get involved in the local Church and I'm planning on trying to involve myself on College campuses all around my city with the Campus Ministries there. Now for whatever reason God did not open the door (despite my trying) for me to go to Divinity School to get a Masters degree (infact I had to move to another -although nearby city where the door was openned for me for my career). Things have quieted down though (that's a good thing :biggrin) from what I've always known since I was 4 years old - namely: school. When you are done with school you have more time to think, pray, get involved, contemplate where God would have you go, and maybe even contemplate the daunting idea of starting a family (I'm not there yet ;)), but I have found more than enough time to fit in all the reading, studying, and time with God which I felt I was so desperately lacking during school (because of other demands on my time).

Now this being said, you may have a different calling and you sound more oriented toward missions work in other countries (I believe my gift is teaching so my ministry - although applicable anywhere in the world - can be applied right in my local community, though I desire to travel on missions someday), and you may not be called to be an engineer. Really this is something that you have to take up with God in prayer and search your soul. God always provides, but our decisions must not be without wisdom. My Dad proved to be a tremendous source of encouragement and wisdom for me in helping to guide me through times of crisis in deciding what to do with my life. I would advise you, if your parents also have such spiritual wisdom or even concern for your welfare to talk to them. But do also keep in mind the basic truth that you will need to have some source of income to support yourself.

Money is not evil, although we all know greed is. That, for me and for all Christians (I hope), has never been an issue. And I even came to that point where I said, "I don't care about the money, I just want to serve God!", but let us not deceive ourselves in thinking that God does not work through earthly means sometimes. It is not shameful to have a "company job" in God's eyes. You are no less in his sight for following that path - and you can even witness in your workplace, or use it as a launch pad to reach even more people. As Paul knew from practical experience, and can even be seen in Genesis as divine decree, as he told the Thessalonians, "If a man does not work, he shall not eat." All labor is good in the sight of God if he is given thanks for the fruit of it. Ecclesiastes teaches us this essential truth as well. It even brings a peace to the laborer, "The sleep of a labouring man is sweet, whether he eat little or much" (Eccl. 5:12). One learns contentment when God's blessing is on them.

Sure, I may not be thrilled with doing computer IT work some days for the rest of my life - when I would much rather be out in my community sharing the Word of God - but God opens up opportunities for those who are faithful, even in "company jobs" (and I have even been fortunate to find other strong Christians at my workplace). Another upside is that from this job I've acquired more money to buy more bible study materials and even to travel to Atlanta recently to a Biblical Scholarship conference in Atlanta, so I am using my money (earthly "mammon") to sow seeds into my life for edificaiton of myself - and hopefully inasmuch I am able to impart that gained knowledge and my experiences - to others as well. Christians do not follow selfish desires to make themselves rich, but the ability to make money gives us resources for the Kingdom of God, so that we can render to Ceasar what is Ceasar's and to God what is God's, and also to use worldy wealth to gain friends for ourselves as Jesus said (Luke 16:9). But let God guide you on where you should go, because only God's path is the right path. Whether doing missions or working as an engineer, God can do mighty things with either.

I hope I have not equally rambled on, but I thought I would provide you with my experience as well. Feel free to ask me any questions if you would like me to elaborate on anything.

God Bless,

~Josh

Thank you all for your prayers and your insights. I have found each one of your posts encouraging. I'll continue to pray for the right doors to be opened and for God's will to be done.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back