Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Pre flood earth?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

JohnD

Imagine this was earth 7-10 thousand years ago (not millions or billions of years).

Surrounded with a vapor canopy that filtered out harmful radiation (making for longer life).

When the flood came the canopy collapsed, subterranean water vaults burst open and the globe was covered in a single ocean.

Then the Lord expanded the globe itself to cause the waters to run off into the expanding ocean beds**.

**a process that could have taken as little as a few weeks or the first several years mankind returned to the land from the ark (spreading out as the waters receded).

Continents spread.

Today's atlas.

Last edited:
24 hours is indeed one legitimate translation of the Hebrew.

Like yom, ‘ereb has several possible definitions. Evening, sunset, night, or ending of the yom. The word order used here is unusual, creating a bit of ambiguity. The root of the word erev means chaos, thus some even translate it there was chaos and (then) there was order.

I will allow you to figure out for yourself which translation is apposite here. 24 hours is certainly legitimate. Others think indefinite period of time is appropriate. I suppose I'll let the scholars debate how to translate Hebrew.

Last edited:
separation is the typical understanding of it and the typical use of erev means preceding as in erev tovgood evening or in the case of a yontiff or shabbat it means happy preparation evening.

Is Genesis typical? What words could they have used to describe billions of years if they wanted to? Words that were available and understood at the time.

I am not a scientist or mathematician. I do listen to the ground every now and them for hoof beats. I hear a lot about the dilation of time. That what takes here on earth days takes longer the further out in space one goes. Then there's the Setterfield / Norman paper ( the decay of c. ) that has never been refuted only maligned. Typical "learned" response by those who bought into something other than the facts.

I wonder because Webster's Dictionary defines ereb as an indefinite period preceding a Jewish holiday.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ereb

If they had no words for billions of years in the Hebrew lexicon back then, maybe using a word that can mean an indefinite period of time was best.

Einstein's equations do show that time does vary by frame of reference according to the Lorentz Coordinate Transformation formula. Time actually stops at the event horizon of black holes, and objects that have accelerated experience slower time relative to objects that have not accelerated.

24 hours in one frame of reference could indeed be billions of years from another frame of reference. That's just for the 4 dimensional space/time continuum. We have no idea how time works in eternity.

At distances of 47 billion light years, space expansion has a profound effect on the effective speed of light. Light takes about 3 times as long to reach the earth from objects 47 billion light years away than it should. Thus, the effective speed of light is diminished by 2/3. Photons themselves still travel at c, but space expansion drags the light away from us. What's more, the expansion of space is accelerating due to dark energy.

At short distances, the effect would be far less pronounced, but still extant. This makes measuring c sensitive to the distance across which you are measuring c. Astronomical measurements in particular would be sensitive to the accelerating expansion of space.

This effect does not seem to account for differences in measurement over the centuries though. The fastest estimate of c comes from Hippolyte Fizeau's toothed wheel measurement across 5 miles. The mechanical nature of the device, and the fact that air changes the speed of light, makes me wonder just how accurate they really were back in 1849.

Interesting to ponder though...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back