Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Rejecting False Assurances

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Pegasus

Title: Rejecting False Assurances

http://www.ligonier.org/learn/devotionals/rejecting-false-assurances/

If we think the Bible teaches universal salvation, we may arrive at a false sense of assurance by reasoning as follows: Everybody is saved. I am a body. Therefore, I am saved.

Or, if we think salvation is gained by our own good works and we are further deluded into believing that we possess good works, we will have a false assurance of salvation.

To have sound assurance, we must understand that our salvation rests on the merit of Christ alone, which is appropriated to us when we embrace Him by genuine faith. If we understand that, the remaining question is, “Do I have the genuine faith necessary for salvation?”

Again, two more things must be understood and analyzed properly. The first is doctrinal. We need a clear understanding of what constitutes genuine saving faith. If we conceive of saving faith as existing in a vacuum, never yielding the fruit of works of obedience, we have confused saving faith with dead faith, which cannot save anyone.

The second requirement involves a sober analysis of our own lives. We must examine ourselves to see whether the fruit of regeneration is apparent in our lives. Do we have a real affection for the biblical Christ? Only the regenerate person possesses real love for the real Jesus. Next we must ask the tough question, “Does my life manifest the fruit of sanctification?” I test my faith by my works.

Coram Deo

What is your response to the questions posed in this reading: Do you have the genuine faith necessary for salvation? Do you have a real affection for the biblical Christ? Does your life manifest the fruit of salvation?

Passages for further study:

Psalm 9:14 But I have trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.

Psalm 13:5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.

Psalm 20:5 May we shout for joy over your salvation, and in the name of our God set up our banners! May the Lord fulfill all your petitions!

If we think the Bible teaches universal salvation, we may arrive at a false sense of assurance by reasoning as follows: Everybody is saved. I am a body. Therefore, I am saved.

Or, if we think salvation is gained by our own good works and we are further deluded into believing that we possess good works, we will have a false assurance of salvation.

To have sound assurance, we must understand that our salvation rests on the merit of Christ alone, which is appropriated to us when we embrace Him by genuine faith. If we understand that, the remaining question is, “Do I have the genuine faith necessary for salvation?”

Again, two more things must be understood and analyzed properly. The first is doctrinal. We need a clear understanding of what constitutes genuine saving faith. If we conceive of saving faith as existing in a vacuum, never yielding the fruit of works of obedience, we have confused saving faith with dead faith, which cannot save anyone.

The second requirement involves a sober analysis of our own lives. We must examine ourselves to see whether the fruit of regeneration is apparent in our lives. Do we have a real affection for the biblical Christ? Only the regenerate person possesses real love for the real Jesus. Next we must ask the tough question, “Does my life manifest the fruit of sanctification?” I test my faith by my works.

Coram Deo

What is your response to the questions posed in this reading: Do you have the genuine faith necessary for salvation? Do you have a real affection for the biblical Christ? Does your life manifest the fruit of salvation?

Psalm 9:14 But I have trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.

Psalm 13:5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.

Psalm 20:5 May we shout for joy over your salvation, and in the name of our God set up our banners! May the Lord fulfill all your petitions!
Oh, but this truth upsets people! Excellent post, valid point! So many today live Christianity as a religion and they believe themselves saved having never entered into the personal relationship Jesus came to restore. I have run into the strongest resistance to this because I am a bit more blunt, but that is just me. However, over the last 20 years of Prison and of Computer Ministry, I have helped lead over 600 to professions of faith and I just betcha that at least one of those will be in Heaven with me.

Keep going with the truth,

Wow Bill, keep being blunt brother :) What an incredible ministry the Lord has blessed you with!

I also agree with your point that many live Christianity as a religion, most believing that they will "get to Heaven" because they are basically "good people" (at least that's what I've run into the most over my 30 yrs as a Christian). BTW, I was part of that group for the first 30 years of my life and always believed myself a Christian (until I finally became one that is :)).

Are you a prison chaplain by any chance?

Yours in Christ,
David

Last edited:
Wow Bill, keep being blunt brother :) What an incredible ministry the Lord has blessed you with!

I also agree with your point that many live Christianity as a religion, most believing that they will "get to Heaven" because they are basically "good people" (at least that's what I've run into the most over my 30 yrs as a Christian). BTW, I was part of that group for the first 30 years of my life and always believed myself a Christian (until I finally became one that is :)).

Are you a prison chaplain by any chance?

Yours in Christ,
David
No David, before it broke up I was the Guitar Player/Singer with the Glory Bound Express Prison Ministry here in Texas.

The first is doctrinal. We need a clear understanding of what constitutes genuine saving faith. If we conceive of saving faith as existing in a vacuum, never yielding the fruit of works of obedience, we have confused saving faith with dead faith, which cannot save anyone.
Faith without faithfulness is mere agreement. It's believing that Jesus is Lord but still doing whatever you please instead of whatever HE pleases.
Faith without faithfulness is a coin with only one side. Try and spend it.

James 2:19 (NKJV) You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble!
If all it took was believing then the demons would all be saved!
But salvation requires that you not only believe but also ACT like you believe.

iakov the fool
(beaucoup dien cai dau)

DISCLAIMER: By reading the words posted above, you have made a free will choice to expose yourself to the rantings of iakov the fool. The poster assumes no responsibility for any temporary, permanent or otherwise annoying manifestations of cognitive dysfunction that, in any manner, may allegedly be related to the reader’s deliberate act by which he/she has knowingly allowed the above rantings to enter into his/her consciousness. No warrantee is expressed or implied. Individual mileage may vary. And, no, I don't want to hear about it. No sniveling! Enjoy the rest of your life here and the eternal one to come.

Faith without faithfulness is mere agreement. It's believing that Jesus is Lord but still doing whatever you please instead of whatever HE pleases.
Faith without faithfulness is a coin with only one side. Try and spend it.

James 2:19 (NKJV) You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble!
If all it took was believing then the demons would all be saved!
But salvation requires that you not only believe but also ACT like you believe.

iakov the fool
(beaucoup dien cai dau)

DISCLAIMER: By reading the words posted above, you have made a free will choice to expose yourself to the rantings of iakov the fool. The poster assumes no responsibility for any temporary, permanent or otherwise annoying manifestations of cognitive dysfunction that, in any manner, may allegedly be related to the reader’s deliberate act by which he/she has knowingly allowed the above rantings to enter into his/her consciousness. No warrantee is expressed or implied. Individual mileage may vary. And, no, I don't want to hear about it. No sniveling! Enjoy the rest of your life here and the eternal one to come.

Thus, it is just as impossible to separate faith and works as it is to separate heat and light from fire! Therefore, watch out for your own false ideas and guard against good-for-nothing gossips, who think they’re smart enough to define faith and works, but really are the greatest of fools. Ask God to work faith in you, or you will remain forever without faith, no matter what you wish, say or can do.----Martin Luther

Thus, it is just as impossible to separate faith and works as it is to separate heat and light from fire! Therefore, watch out for your own false ideas and guard against good-for-nothing gossips, who think they’re smart enough to define faith and works, but really are the greatest of fools. Ask God to work faith in you, or you will remain forever without faith, no matter what you wish, say or can do.----Martin Luther
You rock, Marty! :thumbsup

yo! A fellow strummer!
No longer Papa. My MS has not only began to disconnect my brain, it has wrecked the right side of my body and the only way I might hold my pich now is to glue between my finger and thumb. I gave all five of my guitars, including the custom T60 built for Gene Watson away, either to Prisons or to Christian Musicians. The T60 went with my Fender Twin to a man I co led Worship with. Today I French Harp a bit but not so much.

No longer Papa. My MS has not only began to disconnect my brain, it has wrecked the right side of my body and the only way I might hold my pich now is to glue between my finger and thumb. I gave all five of my guitars, including the custom T60 built for Gene Watson away, either to Prisons or to Christian Musicians. The T60 went with my Fender Twin to a man I co led Worship with. Today I French Harp a bit but not so much.
I've been downsizing some of my stuff and giving it to a Christian Church in Haiti. We bought them drums last year.

I've been downsizing some of my stuff and giving it to a Christian Church in Haiti. We bought them drums last year.
My Keyboard has been idol for the past 15 years and my wife found a Spanish speaking Church here in Texas that had neither keyboard nor piano and we gave it to them. The player came to get it and when he tested it there were tears of joy. He could not believe I would give it away. He never knew it but my Treasures were the custom Peavy T60 that Peavy built for Gene and my Fender, and I gave both of them away and when I offered my Vintage Ovation, that man told me he couldn't afford it. When I told him I did not expect anything but for him to keep it out of any clubs or bars he refused to take it except I take the five hundred he could afford. People do not understand that you can never out give God. I do wish more did understand that.

My Keyboard has been idol for the past 15 years and my wife found a Spanish speaking Church here in Texas that had neither keyboard nor piano and we gave it to them. The player came to get it and when he tested it there were tears of joy. He could not believe I would give it away. He never knew it but my Treasures were the custom Peavy T60 that Peavy built for Gene and my Fender, and I gave both of them away and when I offered my Vintage Ovation, that man told me he couldn't afford it. When I told him I did not expect anything but for him to keep it out of any clubs or bars he refused to take it except I take the five hundred he could afford. People do not understand that you can never out give God. I do wish more did understand that.

I have more to give away as I don't play all the instruments I own. I gave my Djembe to church cuz they let me borrow it if I need it. I have PA speakers that I may not use again. I used to play with quite a few guys and I have all the equipment. But the mixer is in Haiti as are a bunch of other things like chords and connectors. I'm doing things smaller these days.

Coram Deo

opps, sorry, Got off track there a bit.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back